Safer Seas FAQ

• @chazburger19253 It's not about the reputation, it's mostly about the number and kind of fishes you have to get and sell to the hunters call.

• @blackbeard-r Safer Seas with multiple ships will either be an alliance server or pvp again, which both are not intended with this mode.

• @shelley-preston I've been asking for this for YEARS. Infinitely glad that you have finally decided to add it.

• Considering Guilds are coming out in a week's time - will Guilds be available in any form within Safer Seas or at all? Or will Guilds and their features be reserved to High Seas only?

Thanks for clarifying things :)

• @brightpage174 I don't mind the unavailable functionality in Safer Seas. There's still plenty to do, including and especially the Tall Tales. This isn't intended to be a replacement for the main gameplay where you have to contend with other crews, this is just another option. As someone who will be making heavy use of Safer Seas, I'm happy with the restrictions in place.

• Three points of clarification:

1. Are Ashen Chests and Ashen keys possible, despite no Ritual Skulls or Tomes?

2. If opening an Ashen Chest is possible, is it fair to say that Bags of Gold, Bags of Doubloons, and Ashen cups/coffers will be the only possible loot?

3. Is fishing for Ashen Keys still possible?

Thank you!

• I believe that Safer Seas is a blessing in disguise, but only when done right. I've been wondering if there are any plans to grow this separate sandbox experience since there is so much potential to grow it further.

Having no real players around could give an empty vibe to new and veteran players. Sea of Thieves has always been a thrill because of the risk associated to losing loot or having to fight. This gives meaning to all the commendations that are unlocked, whether those commendations are for the OoS or Gold Hoarder. I hope this risk and social interaction will also seep a way into Safer Seas in the future, but in a different way.

Some features I've been thinking about that could at least enhance the social interactions and offer a more co-op and narrative oriented experience:

1. Safer Seas could offer crews within a guild to band together in a friendly environment;
    2. Safer Seas could offer guild specific voyages like Athena or Reaper raids where at least one strong crew or multiple crews defeat bosses or ghost/skelly fleets;
    3. Safer Seas could offer crews the ability to replay adventures as part of exclusive safer seas tall tales.
  • I have over 1000 hours in this game and will love this new addition to Sea of Thieves. I love taking screenshots of my ship and pirate in game and it would be nice to have a place for me to relax without the threat of other pirates. Still wish that I could bring my captained ship in safer seas just so I can take pictures with it and all the captaincy items there, though it is understandable why it is unavailable.
    Also, I don't agree with having Ashen Tomes locked from safer seas. I already got all of them so I know how annoying it is and the rewards aren't worth it past the achievements on Steam. Though this is just a minor complaint.

By the way, for those concerned about the gold and reputation in safer seas still. Due to having no emmissary flags, your effective gold drops down to 12%.
    Just for a comparison, you would need to stack 5 Ashen Gold Hoarder vaults in safer seas to get close to the amount of gold you can make from 2 matches of HourGlass pvp. and you would still likely make less there than HourGlass.

• The "Get off my lawn" commendation can be gotten with skeleton ships.

What's the reason for disabling tomes?

• Just confused about some of the comms being unavailable that you can do against skeleton ships? Was this never an intended feature?

Surprised about the Shrouded Ghost comm being available but I guess that will avoid major disappointments.

Otherwise, this was all kind of assumed, but good to get confirmation.

• would it not be possible to in theory earn pirate legend by purely playing safer seas by buying the monthly letter of recommendation from larinna with doubloons 10 times after reaching level 40?

• @vege00 in theory, yes that would be possible. But in theory it is also possible to use the letter of recommendations from level 1 to 75. I seriously don't think anyone would try to grind to Pirate Legend by logging in once a month for 10 months, or 74 months to max level.

• very interesting! the only thing i really don't understand is not being able to use captained ships, i can understand not getting commendations, but what exactly is the issue with people earning ship milestones on safer seas? i've already maxed out my ship without ever interacting with other players, it would be no different in safer seas, aside from a few milestones just not being able to be obtained

• @alyx34365 I agree that it would be absolutely foolish to do, but I find it funny how in theory it would be possible for someone's first high seas experience be an Athena's fortune voyage.

• @shelley-preston said in Safer Seas FAQ:

There is only one Guardians of Fortune Commendation available in Safer Seas:

• Blessing of Athena's Fortune - Take part in the Blessing of Athena's Fortune ceremony.

Servants of the Flame Commendations

There is only one Servants of the Flame Commendation available in Safer Seas:

• Ritual of the Flame - Take part in the Ritual of the Flame.

Why only doing the ritual yourself, but not the ones for witnissing your crewmate taking the ritual:

• Welcome Aboard (While wearing the Ghostly Curse, witness another pirate receive the Blessing of Athena's Fortune)
    • For the Flame (While wearing the Skeleton Curse, witness another pirate undergo the Ritual of the Flame)

If you allow the ritual to be done in Safer Seas, wouldn't it make sense to at least have those two available too?

And is there a reason why the commendations for doing PvE while wearing the curses are not available? Those don't require other players or fights or an increased risk and are comparable to doing a voyage for the normal factions or doing a Tall Tale. The commendations i am refering too are:

• For Guardians: Behind Enemy Lines, Spectral Stand-Off, Ghost Lord, Spooky Stories, Ghost Ship, Ghost Fort, You Slimed Him, The Poltergeist, Order of Ghouls, Ghostly Apparitions, Spectral Spectacle
    • For Servants: Skulking in Plain Sight, Bones, Not Bonds, High Noon Soul, Stories From the Dead, Bony Fort, We're Eating Tonight, Bone Voyage, Rolling Bones, Boo Be Gone!, Lazy Bones, One of the Crew, I See You, You Little Skeleton

@shelley-preston said in Safer Seas FAQ:

Ashen Treasures Commendations

The following Commendations are unavailable in Safer Seas:

• Key of Thieves - Use a stolen  Ashen Key.

• All Tome Commendations

I think 'Tome Raider' (open a stolen Ashen Chest) should also be in this list, since you can't steal an Ashen Chest.

@shelley-preston said in Safer Seas FAQ:

Athena's Fortune Commendations

There is only one Athena’s Fortune Commendation available in Safer Seas:

• Legendary Hunter of the Shrouded Ghost - Defeat The Shrouded Ghost in a chance encounter 5 times, as a Pirate Legend.

I get that the Shrouded is so rare you want to include it in Safer Seas, but it's a bit weird that one meg-commendation is in it but the others not. Wouldn't it make more sense to include all commendations for megs then, so to not discriminate against megs?

• Thanks for this, very informative!

Wouldn't it have been easier, and more informative for the people looking to play Safer seas, to have listed the "available" achievements, so they could directly see a list of what they will get to work on. Where as currently, each individual person has to comb through and see what commendations and achievements remain as to what they then can work on. Until some kind person of the internet does that list...

Could have just been you guys since you already had to go through the list, no?

Thanks again!

P.S For anyone that might think about being negative to my comment here, I will already have all achievements in the game prior to Safer Seas. Just looking for a more new person friendly list to pass around to the few people i'm trying to introduce to the game via Safer Seas.

• Will 30% also affect the monthly emissary value?

• @pedroxtarrrr You can't be emissary on Safer Seas, so you won't be able to gain any monthly emissary value on Safer Seas ;-)

• Soooo... commendations like Raider of Cursed Strongholds, Seeker of Ancient Gold, Cabin Fever and lots more - will be possible to grind on Safer Seas? I'm not sure if I like the idea. I thought Safer Seas were meant to prepare players for High Seas, not to be a place where you can safely complete commendations.

• The section on Ashen Treaures Commendations:
    Ashen Treasures Commendations

The following Commendations are unavailable in Safer Seas:

Key of Thieves - Use a stolen  Ashen Key.
    All Tome Commendations

Why is Using a stolen Ashen Key unavailable but opening a Stolen Ashen Chest (don't remember the name) not unavailable also? Was this a post mistake or an oversight or intentional?

Question 2: With Safer Seas being a PVP free zone, Will the new World Event (skull of siren song( I honestly dont remember)) be available on there?

• @aurash8863 said in Safer Seas FAQ:

Considering Guilds are coming out in a week's time - will Guilds be available in any form within Safer Seas or at all? Or will Guilds and their features be reserved to High Seas only?

Thanks for clarifying things :)

Perhaps read the FAQ ?

Can I progress my Guild in Safer Seas?
    It is not possible to progress your Guild in Safer Seas as you cannot set sail on Guild Ships in the same way you cannot set sail on Captained Ships.

• @shelley-preston Are the Voyages that have you dig up a ritual skull and skull of destiny disabled then?

• @alyx34365 said in Safer Seas FAQ:

By the way, for those concerned about the gold and reputation in safer seas still. Due to having no emmissary flags, your effective gold drops down to 12%.

That would be only true if you turn in everything at grade 5 emissary - when sailing as a Gold Hoarder grade 5, all merchant, Oos and Athena go for 100%.
    Besides - people complaining about getting sunk 9 out of 10 times would only get 10% anyway 😁 - Safer seas will net them more.

• Good that you limited Safer Seas.

Personally, I won't use it since I don't like the idea of having PvE servers.

One request, PLEASE limit players from doing the "Complete this Tall Tale 5 times" commendations.

In December, my hard-fought gold curse isn't going to mean anything anymore...

• With the amount of commendations available in Safer Seas, it's confusing to consider this the "extended tutorial" it's made out to be. It's one thing to offer commendations related to beginners/tall tales that healthily fit those circumstances, although now, most can be obtained through private grinding. For most of us long-time players, there was always substantial risk involved in order to complete the most grueling of commendations the game has to offer, only to now have them accessible in the easiest way possible through Safer Seas. What's to stop players from turning this "extended tutorial" into commendation farming in relation to skeleton/ghost ships, forts, fishing, and ones that reward cosmetics?

I truly love this game dearly and overall agree with that addition, I just personally believe the team should very much so look further into this particular matter.

• Heey, can they consider inviting friends into the server BUT on a different crew so we can practice pvp with our friends? :D

• @brightpage174 said in Safer Seas FAQ:

Rare doing literally anything they can to make the PvE mode absolutely unplayable for anyone looking for some form of progression. Literally 2/3 of the game is removed just to please the people who would do nothing but whine about others being able to have fun while progressing by doing the activities (you know, the gameplay) this game encourages them to do.

This is for new players to get started without getting rolled by some of th toxic crews in the seas. This is not intended for completionists.

• @cpt-dawncaller Skull of Destiny will not be available. Ritual Skulls will not be part of the loot that can be acquired.

With only single crews on Safer Seas, there will be no way to gain all 6 lights needed to start the FotD.

• @brightpage174 said in Safer Seas FAQ:

Rare doing literally anything they can to make the PvE mode absolutely unplayable for anyone looking for some form of progression. Literally 2/3 of the game is removed just to please the people who would do nothing but whine about others being able to have fun while progressing by doing the activities (you know, the gameplay) this game encourages them to do.

It's already pretty cool of them to make one at all, just to please the people who would do nothing but whine about not wanting to participate in 50% of the game.

• Any chance we may eventually be able to have up to four friends on four sloop in safer seas?

• @miri5329 But with this mode introducing someone to the game you could introduce friends and help them prepare for high seas with friendly pvp if they were to allow multiple ships no?

• @pedroxtarrrr you can't do Emissary in Safer Seas, so you won't have any progress to ledger.

• @Miri5329 I mean that feature is very useful for content creators.

• Will we be able to invite friends to captain other ships in a Safer Seas session, assuming we would like to have the risk of meeting other pirates, but with a group of friends instead of simply random assignment?

• @darius-jenai Safer Seas will be single crew only.

Views
50 out of 280