Kiddo, It's not called Sea of Friends, it's called Sea of Thieves.

• So my son and I were playing; we had an ashen map that landed us on a volcano island, dug up the treasure, and hightailed it out of there. We went to the first Sovereign we saw and got two goblets out of it. Now mind you, my son is 7; the first words out of his mouth were, "that was it?". (I had to agree, it was a rather poor chest)

Well, as we were turning, we saw a few chests in the water; no idea what happened, but I decided to grab them, and it turned out more and more chests were coming from this loot.

All in all 15 chests, 7 high-level skulls, and a whole lot of rare and exotic chests.

We were in a sloop, and our deck looked like a gilded ship. We sold them all to the Soverign.

Then I realized coming up on us was the ship that probably was the one that lost everything; they had Athena sails, and I'm like, "Hell to the no." and booked it out of there. They followed us until we hit a storm. I went towards the moon, and they went the way I entered.

I had to go to reaper's hideout so we could sell their log. (which was worth 3K) and their flag. (level 5)...

My son said, "I wish they were on our side."

I said, "Kiddo, the game is called Sea of Thieves, not Sea of Friends; you just took part in what makes this game fun."

He said, "Stealing is bad."

I said, "In real life, stealing is bad, but in this game, if you can't keep hold of your loot, you don't deserve to cash it in. "

He smiled when he realized we did well.

Views
  • the boy has a lot of character at a young age, especially for a pirate.

• So far I wish more players were like this.
    I really wish

• @imperatormorsus said in Kiddo, It's not called Sea of Friends, it's called Sea of Thieves.:

He said, "Stealing is bad."

Kid well raised

• Hmmm.. Somehow I have doubts this really happened, but it's still a father-son bonding exercise so I can give it props for that.

@imperatormorsus said in Kiddo, It's not called Sea of Friends, it's called Sea of Thieves.:

I said, "Kiddo, the game is called Sea of Thieves, not Sea of Friends; you just took part in what makes this game fun."

I hate this sloganeering so much. Especially considering how the game itself really tries its darnest to make it look like a "Sea of Friends" scenario.

Also we can debate on whether the PvP angle really makes the game fun and all, but that's besides the point.

• Moral of the story...friendship is bad...steal everything...except without friends...no one can protect or help you...so make friends and then betray them? But then you still have no friends. So just make friends? But then your friends can betray you and steal everything for themselves...so go alone? No, no, it's dangerous to go alone...you need a weapon. But it's hard to make friends with weapons...and now you're lonely...so maybe we just steal and have friends? But then your friends could steal the stolen things for themselves. Uhh...give me a couple of hours...or days...and I'll find the moral of the story...eventually....

• @wolfmanbush said in Kiddo, It's not called Sea of Friends, it's called Sea of Thieves.:

the boy has a lot of character at a young age, especially for a pirate.

Yes, yes he does, but you know what, it will do him well in the future. He will have high expectations for life, and I expect him to reach them as long as he is given the chance.

• @super87ghost Thanks; we do try to make sure he is raised right, he is a good kid, and I'm glad he told me that because it does make me feel better as a father.

• @kalgert I'll reply to this because I feel it should be.

@kalgert said in Kiddo, It's not called Sea of Friends, it's called Sea of Thieves.:

Hmmm.. Somehow I have doubts this really happened, but it's still a father-son bonding exercise so I can give it props for that.

It did happen; my son and I have played SoT off and on since he was six years old; he only plays with me in a sloop because there are people out there who use the mic rather free-range and well, I don't need my son introduced to the cussing and rather a vulgar language of people who were not raised right.

He is nowhere near being legend because we only allow him to play on the weekends and when we have free time because of life and all that.

Due to my luck so far we have never been sunk by a PvP crew; it is not like we go looking for battles either, I am still getting him used to firing the cannons; we mostly spend time doing low-end missions because he needs to level up, and learn how to shoot the cannon faster/more accurately.

@kalgert said in Kiddo, It's not called Sea of Friends, it's called Sea of Thieves.:

I hate this sloganeering so much. Especially considering how the game itself really tries its darndest to make it look like a "Sea of Friends" scenario.

Also we can debate on whether the PvP angle really makes the game fun and all, but that's beside the point.

I fully agree about the company trying to make it look like a "Sea of Friends" scenario. I have even suggested in the past to make regions "Non-PvP" regions, like "safe zones" once you go out of those safe zones, you are free to PvP. This would allow people to enjoy the game instead of going straight into PvP whenever they meet people. I also suggested making the map about 3 to 5 times larger to make this possible.

That is not how it is, though, to my chagrin.

My son and I would be playing this game a lot more if it was because I want to ease my son into PvP, which is also why I ran from an Athena sail. I knew it would be a one-sided fight, and I didn't want my son to be distraught that badly by losing that severely.

My wife watches my son play on the XBox, while I play on the PC, just to ensure he is OK. We all play in the same room, but I can't be there in the middle of a storm or a firefight, so this is where it becomes a family event.

So, to finish this off, you have every right not to believe it happened, but I would like for you to remove your disbelief for a bit to enjoy a good story that happened right before my son had to go to bed.

• @imperatormorsus said in Kiddo, It's not called Sea of Friends, it's called Sea of Thieves.:

So, to finish this off, you have every right not to believe it happened, but I would like for you to remove your disbelief for a bit to enjoy a good story that happened right before my son had to go to bed.

But... I did, sort of. I gave props for it being a story of a father-son bonding exercise.

• @kalgert That is like saying you are "sort of pregnant" ;)

My son and I would be playing this game a lot more if it was because I want to ease my son into PvP, which is also why I ran from an Athena sail. I knew it would be a one-sided fight, and I didn't want my son to be distraught that badly by losing that severely.

One of my favorite scenes in Poltergeist 2 is when Taylor tells the boy's mom that "children are strong and have courage, don't treat them any less than that because they are young"

Children often handle loss in this game quite well from what I have observed, it's often the egos of teenage/adulthood that lead to there being an issue with losing a fight in a game.

He's spending time with his dad in a positive and enjoyable way, he's already won. A win in his life he is likely to carry with him, always.

• @kalgert said in Kiddo, It's not called Sea of Friends, it's called Sea of Thieves.:

@imperatormorsus said in Kiddo, It's not called Sea of Friends, it's called Sea of Thieves.:

But... I did, sort of. I gave props for it being a story of a father-son bonding exercise.

I'm going to B Witch my way into this. I play with my kids. The only players I trust in SoT. (Except the 14 yo, he's a jerk and a troll and will blunderbomb you holding an Athena Keg...) Chill just a little. The game is an amazing experience for a young gamer.

I do think SoT is a little complicated for a 7yo, but Dad guides rock. I'm buying in 😆

• @wolfmanbush I agree, they are more hearty than we give them credit for, but at the same time, I don't want him to deal with the tryhards and the sweaty ones... We go after skeleton ships, and we sometimes get the firebomb tryhards after us, but we come out on top.

I just know my limitations, and I might be able to take on an Athena double team; my son would get frustrated at getting killed over and over and over again by the same people while they steal our loot and destroy our ship. I don't want him to be in that situation where frustration sits in, and he doesn't want to play with me anymore because of one bad situation that could have been evaded.

• @pithyrumble It is complicated, but he is decent at the skeleton scene. We both took on a sea fort and looted the treasury, so I know he can be a good player. I just want to work him into PvP once his hand-eye gets better; for now, though he can shoot a skeleton I am fighting with at 30 paces and not miss, so I am pretty happy with that. I expect he will be a sniper once he gets better ;)

BTW, ever looking for someone to play with, I'm game. I know playing with an adult can be relaxing sometimes too ;)

@wolfmanbush
    I just know my limitations, and I might be able to take on an Athena double team; my son would get frustrated at getting killed over and over and over again by the same people while they steal our loot and destroy our ship. I don't want him to be in that situation where frustration sits in, and he doesn't want to play with me anymore because of one bad situation that could have been evaded.

Something I picked up on and worked on during my open crew run (which often included all sorts of personality types and often younger pirates)

how I communicated, reacted, responded, significantly influenced how others handled the experience

they often looked to me for a signal one way or another, whether younger or just inexperienced. It boils down to they were looking for leadership and reassurance.

So I took that data and I implemented a backup objective.

Have an objective where I could bring in some loot efficiently and quickly and put the energy and the focus on leaving the session with stability.

So if we sunk I would just reassure them that it's just a thing that happens, and immediately put energy into moving on and grabbing some loot from whatever plan I had at the time depending on the point in history.

Dwelling on loss makes it more difficult to handle, focusing on the frustration makes it more difficult to move on.

Jokes, calm in the storm, reassurance, when the person that others are looking to is consistently deescalating the situation it makes it far easier for them to handle it in a way that doesn't become overwhelming.

This took me some time to develop as I'm more of a quiet personality, often times people feel intimidated by my personality as it's often quietly intense and focused, So it required some focus on becoming more aware about how someone was feeling about my approach even if that's not how I processed it or intended it. I have a deep voice so it amplifies that. Generally putting more effort into reassuring people that it's alright and it is going to be alright and that we move forward and try to end on a fun and/or positive note.

Views
13 out of 16