Personally I like it.

• I like the new update. I don’t mind that the milestones are grindy. They aren’t meant to be completed in a session, or a day. They are things that could take months or years. The type of things you shouldn’t have to follow intently, just one day it pops up that you have it, and you think “ yeah, I am that pirate that sleeps a lot”.

People are far to quick to be negative on this, and I’m sure many will respond on here making ludicrous statements about how long a fire bomb burns for and if you drop just one every Monday and let it burn it will take you a million years to get the achievement. I don’t care. I like it.

Most these kids complaining all want everything Yesterday with minimal effort on their part.

My only real concern is that players will want to play on their ships and not their crews. Which seems like a weird thing to add to the game. But I think they might change this.

My final word to the complainers is that you clearly never had to catch chickens at Crooked Masts.

Views
  • For the most part I think the update is great but personally I think there is a lot of missed opportunities. The update feels a bit bland but still lots of potential.

• They can still add more to it. It’s a good starting point

• @pabio-escobar The grind is not a problem, it never has been for SOT players.

Two are the main issues:

Milestones tied to captaincy are forcing players to abandon crews and play solo

The moment the captain leaves the ship becomes a common vessel, and this interrupts the gameplay on that session.

Solved those two issues (fundamental imo) this update can be called successful.

• @metal-ravage
    Like I said in my post. I’ve no issue with the grind unlike a lot of the complainers out there, but I did find this point you mentioned a little strange. I think they might change it so that ship progression is earned through crews too soon.

• @pabio-escobar sagte in Personally I like it.:

Most these kids complaining all want everything Yesterday with minimal effort on their part.

Here’s one of the „kids“ doing some math for you:

Let’s take the exciting „Sleep for 100 hours“ achievement as an example.

100 hours = 6.000 minutes

Let‘s assume the average player sleeps for one minute per session (personally I never slept after I have finished all commendations tied to it, but whatever …) every day without any break. The player is sleeping one minute per session, every day.

So obviously, „Mr. Grownup“, a player needs to play 6.000 days to finish this achievement. How many years, you ask? Glad to help with my childrens knowledge:

6.000 days / 365 days per year = 16,44 years of pure excitement starring at a blackscreen every day

The game however is planned to have a life expectancy of 10 years (including the 4 we‘ve already played)

My final word to the complainers is that you clearly never had to catch chickens at Crooked Masts.

I clearly did it way too often and hell no, I‘m not excited to do it again.

• @fred-fisheye

Your making a lot of assumptions lol.

If you never sleep then you don’t get that milestone. What’s the issue? You want a milestone that suggests you went out your way to sleep when you didn’t? Makes no sense.

• Did you even read and understand my answer? This is clearly no grind anymore, it’s a legacy you can pass on to your grandchildren.

• @fred-fisheye

There are people that play this game differently to you.

Let’s take the guy who ONLY plays this game to fish. He will eventually get this milestone and can hang it proudly. When others see it, they will say “ geeez, this guy must like fishing” NOT… Ahhh probably ground it out in a week/month.

People complaining so hard about this just sound like a little kid stamping his feet about not being able to have all the sweeties in the shop tbh

• @pabio-escobar
    "geeez, this guy must like being set on fire"
    We are not arguing that all of them are bad, but some are down right insulting. Especially the AFK milestones.

• @zedny3434

No more difficult than seeing the shrouded ghost five times 🤷‍♂️

• @pabio-escobar sagte in Personally I like it.:

People complaining so hard about this just sound like a little kid stamping his feet about not being able to have all the sweeties in the shop tbh

You know what? The game is already wasting too much of my precious time and I won’t allow you to do the same. If you like it, fine. I seriously don’t understand why anyone, who‘s not completely new to the game, should be excited about doing the same thing we did the past four years over and over again. I’m also not eager to stare at a blackscreen or to set myself on fire for 100 hours. But if you are enjoying this content, the I honestly wish you a lot of fun. And I mean it, not being sarcastic here.

Maybe a little tip for the future: insulting people who are of different opinion isn’t adult behaviour at all.

• @pabio-escobar
    Oh no, they are miles apart... Saying they are the same, is saying that winning the lottery and working 60 years to become a millionaire is the same thing.

• @pabio-escobar the problem about this is... they shoulded taken capitancy abouth YEARS ago not now i play this game since come out and before in alpha test seeing this get me little bit sad

• @fred-fisheye

By even saying you don’t want to set yourself on fire or stare at a black screen just goes to show that you like to do whatever it takes to get it done.
    People shoot fire at you boat, I would say I have had my boat on fire 100 hours since the fire update. You don’t have to physically waste 100 hours to get it done in a week. It’s meant to be organic. Lol.

• The fact of the matter is that this entire season IS the ship customization. that's all we got. and with EVERYTHING being such an astronomical grind. (and also contradictory, case in point: turning in to sovereigns, gives you ZERO progress towards turn-ins to ANY other company....WHY PUT IN THE MECHANIC and then punish players for using it and not giving them progress?) Also the fact that there are milestones for sleeping literal hours of your life in game...that is like the exact opposite of "game" or "play"....it's just baffling how at odds this entire update is. "you get ship stuff, all of it is locked behind the most ludicrous of grinds. but this is all you have this season besides stools so HAVE FUN" so yeah being baffled by the fact that we had this built up and now we are being told just how much of a needless grind EVERYTHING is. just seems like this season was designed by a team that interned under the people who thought that doing 250 of a single type of quest was a reasonable achievement in an an xbox game. for EVERY company. I dont have a better word for it than baffling.

• As one of those completionist kids, Let me give you a couple examples as of why this is boring & bad game design.

The complaints of "things being tedious & boring" have always been there. People complaint about it when the first 9 tall tales came out & for the gold curse you had to do all 9 tall tales 5 times! Every person said the same thing "I am never doing something so tedious and repetitive ever again".
    Then another time there was an event for a gold hoarder figure head were you had to catch 300 small rubby splashtails, and again people didnt like it at all.
    Why is that?

It is because it is not challeging, engaging or fun at all, rare just slaps a number behind it and calls it a day and it just becomes tiresome to grind since you're doing to same over and over.
    They now introduce concepts like sleeping & sitting wich isnt gameplay and again slap huge numbers behind that. You cant tell me that sounds like fun gameplay do you?
    It is a game, games are supposed to be fun & possible challeging while you're doing anything.

let me take world of warcraft as an example here.
    Example 1:
    you had the title The Immortal. You could obtain it by venturing into the 25 man naxxramas raid, without a single member dying at all untill the final boss was defeated.
    That takes time, its fun & challeging.

Example 2:
    Later on they introduced achievements like glory of the "Blank" Raider. (since this achievement applied to multiple raids).
    You had to defeat every raid boss but there was a twist. You had to defeat every boss in a special way.
    The raid boss Lord Marrowgar from the raid Icecrown citadel does an ability were he spawns in ice spikes, the twist was, nobody was allowed to get hit by it for you to get the first achievement he gives you, or you had to retry next week.
    Every raid boss had some twist behind it, and if you defeated them all while getting all these achievements on every boss, you got a special mount to show it off.

Example 3:
    Warlocks during mists of pandaria got a special storyline to get a cosmetic piece that turns their fire spells green, it was a whole storyline were in the end you have to defeat a boss that was pretty tough. And you only had to do it once.

Some of these example are definetly bit overboard.
    But the picture is, Even tough it takes time to get these, it was fun, not tedious or repetitive.
    It was an anticipation of "Wil we finally get it this time?".

The point is, they came up with creative ways that actualy have stories behind them, and wen you saw someone with a mount or title from one of those achievements, it was actualy impressive.

Nobody is going to be impressed or have fun doing this X amounts of times by sitting or sleeping or even catching 2500 specific fish.

That is the point you dont get.
    Not everyone is a completionist like you make these "kids" out to be, People want to do them, but not in the manner of having thousands of hours to grind by doing the same thing over & over & over & over.

It isnt fun.
    Its lazy & unfun game design.

• Sucks to be a completionist right now but I think anyone else that isn’t compelled to Do Everything will just disregard the new milestone system and use whatever bits of the update they like, like ship naming, sovereigns, voyage options, etc. The new milestones are apparently not up for discussion, but maybe voting with (dis)engagement will spur a rework. It feels to me like the numbers were just pitched out without much consideration as to whether they even made sense.

• @cpt-sockmonster

The fish milestones are actually even more insulting then the 100h ones. Because they are gonna cost you way more time then that. Even small fish can sometimes take up to 2min to reel in, factor in the time you need to spend to actually get the fish you want to bite/ or any. You're most likely gonna be around a 3min average a fish (and I feel like that's being very reasonable). So if you can keep that pace throughout your "grind" you'd end up having to spend 125h for a single fish milestone...

That's more then most peoples total playtime in this game. So unless you are aiming for 10.000h played I don't see any reasonable way to even consider earning these milestones even somewhat "naturally". Even if you are VERY dedicated to fishing this is a insane grind of epic proportions for only one single trinket.

• My only real concern is that players will want to play on their ships and not their crews

Very Minor issues if you ask me.

As a Pirate, ask. Do you want to Capt your own ship and earn a new decor for your ship, Or set sail with friends and 'still' earn decor while doing stuff together. Trinkets and Decor are broken into two: Crew & Capt. As a crew you will earn stuff, as a Capt you will earn a little extra (mind you they are harder)

• @sn0kanon who said that the milestones were not up for discussion? seems a bit early for ANY of the dev team to be saying something like that about such a poorly conceived and Received update. I havent heard that but if true, seems like a terrible take.

• @rathbaume there have been many threads about stats not carrying over that have been shut down with the following message:

“Milestones are a new way of progressing in the game, similar to a prestige system. The milestones only apply to a Captained ship which is why previous numbers do not count - previous ships were not Captained.

The team had multiple design conversations regarding this and ultimately this will not be changing.

Dropping anchor here.”

Though in all fairness I will say that discussion seems to have been allowed to flow more freely in the last 24 hours. I sincerely hope the team at Rare is listening. I for one truly believe that SoT is still a passion project for many (if not all) on the team, and design decisions, while perhaps having an unforeseen impact on or poor reception by the community, are intended to make the game better, not simply more profitable. We on this forum are also a minuscule, self-selected sample; our opinions may not reflect the majority of players, though we may well be the canary in the coal mine…

• @sn0kanon twitter, reddit, and the forums, are all sounding off the same exact point. the numbers are too high, and considering that this is all we have except for stools, and 3 limited time adventures. That's all we got. was ship stuff and we can't do anything with it. the numbers being HOURS of actual time for a single trinket of the lowest rarity is just absurd.

• @rathbaume I don’t disagree with you, I just feel like the initial response to a lot of this was “too bad, it’s already been decided.” However, the forum mods seem to have backed off on that position, hopefully indicating that things will be tweaked in the days (and updates) to come. And if you don’t wanna spend the next year of your life keeping your pirate on fire to reach some silly milestone, don’t; the rest of the game is almost exactly the same as it was on Monday afternoon (not counting missing stats, but that’s a different discussion entirely and hopefully just a mistake).

• @sn0kanon I agree with you on focusing on the one's you actually want. The idea of catching 2500 fish for a single trinket is insane. also to your point. the fact that we are in a new season and the game is 99% the same game is why everyone is so up in arms over the fact that all the new content is locked behind walls that nobody will be able to breach currently until long after this season is over. That means this entire season is basically a wash. and is unfortunate.

• @rathbaume Let’s see what happens. A lot of the milestones are mathematically impossible to achieve, which I doubt was the intention. I suspect there will be adjustments; if a seasoned player says “catching 2500 fish is impossible, screw it”, imagine what a noob is gonna think. Driving off both old-timers and new players doesn’t make a lot of sense from any viewpoint.

• I’d also agree with @PabIo-Escobar that the milestones are supposed to be long-term achievements that go beyond the current season. Not that I want my grandchildren to have to sleep in-game for another 50 hours on my account to get their inheritance, though a pirate does what a pirate’s gotta do 😁

• @sn0kanon Ive still been playing this season. but I'm just doing tall tales and fishing mostly till we hear from the devs. because the numbers are for sure insane. i do more fishing than most people in this game and the reqs are bafflingly high. here's hoping they see reason. have a good one!

• @rathbaume I’m doing what I always did too, though moderating my kids’ arguments over whose ship we’re gonna take has definitely added an element of, uhh, “zest?” to my real-life captaincy experience.

• @pabio-escobar I'm negative about it because if I wanted to start fresh I would start a new account, not suffer through everything again...

• @capt-soul-beard sagte in Personally I like it.:

@pabio-escobar I'm negative about it because if I wanted to start fresh I would start a new account, not suffer through everything again...

Thank you, on the point. That’s exactly what they did. They just reset the counter and gave us the ability to name our ship.

• @pabio-escobar
    did you even complete them
    if not stay quiet and let others continue
    some care some do not
    i have 4 shrouded ghosts killed, i just need 1 more for the golden title and only for the milestone
    the less i care the happier i am
    checkmate

• @pabio-escobar I like the update too :)

@Cpt-SockMonster and others here, if you want the burning milestone to be a bit more challenging try grabbing yourself a chest of rage and stick it at the front of your ship. Let it blow to set your ship on fire, set yourself on fire and keep yourself on fire, eat fruit and meat to keep yourself alive (also goes towards the provisions eaten milestone :) ) whilst fishing. :D

• @fred-fisheye said in Personally I like it.:

@pabio-escobar sagte in Personally I like it.:

You know what? The game is already wasting too much of my precious time and I won’t allow you to do the same. If you like it, fine. I seriously don’t understand why anyone, who‘s not completely new to the game, should be excited about doing the same thing we did the past four years over and over again. I’m also not eager to stare at a blackscreen or to set myself on fire for 100 hours. But if you are enjoying this content, the I honestly wish you a lot of fun. And I mean it, not being sarcastic here.

Maybe a little tip for the future: insulting people who are of different opinion isn’t adult behaviour at all.

Clown world in a nutshell, they try to present us as whiners while complaning. Classy.
    By all means, if sleeping/drinking grog/being on fire/sitting for 100 hours sounds like fun, let them enjoy.

Im dying to see the stats over this!
    My tip is get to renown 100, do the Adventures when they arrive and then wait for next season.

• @lizalaroo said in Personally I like it.:

@pabio-escobar I like the update too :)

@Cpt-SockMonster and others here, if you want the burning milestone to be a bit more challenging try grabbing yourself a chest of rage and stick it at the front of your ship. Let it blow to set your ship on fire, set yourself on fire and keep yourself on fire, eat fruit and meat to keep yourself alive (also goes towards the provisions eaten milestone :) ) whilst fishing. :D

Heres the thing with any of these milestones.
    Slapping a huge number behind something isnt challeging or fun in the slightest, its lazy.
    The milestones rare came up with (like the 100 hours fire, sleeping, sitting ones. Or even catching thousands of fish, or doing the fotd for an unrealistic amounts of times) arent engaging or fun, they are tedious and repetitive & its not the first time they pull this.

With the examples i gave, you only had to do it once & it was fun to do.
    You cant call these milestones "a fun & challeging gameplay experience" to unlock these rewards.

Views
18 out of 56