What very stereotypical traditional pirate concept do you feel is missing from Sea of Thieves?

• Not really a suggestion or feedback, just a little friendly discussion.

What's something that you instantly think of when hearing 'pirates', yet is nowhere to be found in Sea of Thieves?

For me, the idea of a large bustling port full of docked ships, pirates and townsfolk is something that I love, but just doesn't exist naturally in SoT. Would love to get in some bar punch ups.

Views
  • @mferr11 said in What very stereotypical traditional pirate concept do you feel is missing from Sea of Thieves?:

For me, the idea of a large bustling port full of docked ships, pirates and townsfolk is something that I love, but just doesn't exist naturally in SoT. Would love to get in some bar punch ups.

Exactly this!

• When I think of Pirates I think of poor guys going for big scores and quickly spending all their gold in booze, gambling and company. I wish there would be a proper gold sink in the game that doesn't revolve around accumulating permanent cosmetics.

I don't think that would be a good move from a game design perspective tho :p

• @mferr11
    i'm missing to smoke a pipe.

to match the Teen rating, we anyway have alcohol, it can make bubbles i dont mind it.

• Agreed about missing the opportunity to interact with a busy port town, whether that's through bar fights, friendly trading, exploration, or bombarding and robbing the place. Of course, that doesn't fit the lore here – those towns belong to the world outside the Shroud.

I do think the ability to acquire separate trinkets, medallions, earrings or whatever would fit the pirate theme nicely without necessitating a redesign of the setting or progression systems.

Also, a wider range of bandanas in different colours and designs, as those are definitely something that I associate with the pirate stereotype.

• Immediately present the heroes of the book by Raphael Sabatini "The Odyssey of Captain Blood"

• Wooden teeth? 😅

• For me what is missing is more features to make the game feel even more alive.
    Dont get me wrong the game is filled with immersive details especially the hand crafted islands like Cannon Cove, but they can add so much more like more animals in land and nautical.
    I want to see freaking insects eating each other on trees, seagulls scooping fish and sea crustaceans and for the love of god more mythical creatures from stories we all grew on.
    I want to see huge crabs and spider lurking in caves, scary mythical creatures that reminds you that you are not in the top of the food chain.
    Whirpools and crazy world events are going to be pure beauty to the eyes with Sea of Thieves's graphics.
    Wake my inner child and fill him with adventures, i kinda miss the days i didnt had to chase artificial commendations and when the HUD was not full of features that reminded us that its just a game.

Outposts needs to feel more alive as well, this is why time after time small maps with more details beats big maps that are vast and boring everytime, more NPC and small things to interact with.

I want to explore new regions like swamps and yes ice region would be amazing!

Just imagine the frozen cold air breathing down your neck, with SOT's graphics that looks like oil painting think about how beautiful the snow can look like.
    Islands that holds many secrets and harsh enviornment and awesome animals 😍
    These things reminds me why Sea of Thieves is such a good game and why Rare despite all of their recent SJW bs are really creative and awesome people.
    To take inspiration from games like Dayz was brave!
    And i hope that they will push more ideas that supports exploration and less cater to PvE grind fest or PvP tryhards, islands with native tribes and just more of that.
    Rare have fun with your game!
    It feels like sometimes updates were added out of pure must and not burning passion.

Content like that put aside most of the arguments in my opinion, boredom leads to problems and players become less toleratable to bugs and other features they dont like.

• Am I the first one to say I immediately visualize the face of Capt. Jack Sparrow the very moment I hear/read the word "pirate" ?

• @greengrimz As much as it would be awesome those pigs from Disney would milk every penny from Rare.
    Anything that Disney touches in the last 10 years becomes a poison.

• Swinging from ropes!!

• @butterfinger750 said in What very stereotypical traditional pirate concept do you feel is missing from Sea of Thieves?:

Swinging from ropes!!

YES! I mean, I understand why boarding works as it does from a balance perspective, but grappling hooks etc. are something from those pirate stereotypes that the game doesn't have.

• @mferr11 said in What very stereotypical traditional pirate concept do you feel is missing from Sea of Thieves?:

Not really a suggestion or feedback, just a little friendly discussion.

What's something that you instantly think of when hearing 'pirates', yet is nowhere to be found in Sea of Thieves?

swinging on ropes EDIT hard tack or ships biscuit

• SCURVY. Lemons and oranges please.

• Historically, virtually all piracy was in the Mediterranean, but in fiction the setting is usually the Caribbean and the New World.

I think everyone agrees the New World speaks more to our imagination, but if there's going to be another expansion to the map, one inspired by the Mediterranean region would make sense.

(Fun fact: There were ecclesiastical military orders exclusively devoted to combating pirates and freeing the slaves captured by them. There are hundreds of fortified churches along the French, Spanish, and Italian coasts because for centuries pirates acquired slaves by raiding coastal towns. The orders had pretty much eradicated piracy in the Mediterranean shortly before they became irrelevant after Malta was surrendered to Napoleon.)

From that I got the idea of aggressive human NPC ships patrolling the seas for pirates. It would be a change from the usually passive skeleton ships.

More likely additions I'd love to see, mentioned by FaceYourDemon, are more diverse flora and fauna (glowing fireflies, ants and other insects crawling rocks and trees, bio-luminescent algae lighting up coastal waves, jllyfsh lighting up deeper waters), and I like his idea of whirlpools (surprised they're not already in the game, now that hear of it).

(Don't know why I had to censor jllyfsh, it's a restricted word, and I feel like I probably don't want to know.)

Maybe also some interaction with nature. How immersive it would be if, for example, you fire a shot and you hear leaves rustling and see birds flying up.

Also, I'd like skeletons to spawn far less often (or by certain player activities, like digging up treasure does), because when they are certain to spawn, based on a timer, it removes the feeling of surprise or the unknown. That feeling is certainly part of pirate fiction.

When I first started playing the game, I so much wanted to explore the islands, enjoy my surroundings, watch the sunset from the beach, listen to the ambience, hoping to hear some unknown threat or curiosity in the distance, creeping closer, but every minute a bunch of skeletons spawned right next to me, breaking my immersion.

As for exploration, it would be cool if treasure can randomly be dug up by visual clues in your surroundings, and not necessarily via clues in the form of parchments.

But I accept that some of the above is either not in the vision of the game or a problem for performance.

• naming your vessel is missing........ and should be top priority!

• Double wooden legs

Gunpowder gets wet and useless.

Pirates who do pirate things and dont get upset when stuff don’t go there way. They get revenge!

• A skull shaped island, simply as that haha

• @pirate-pambo said in What very stereotypical traditional pirate concept do you feel is missing from Sea of Thieves?:

Historically, virtually all piracy was in the Mediterranean, but in fiction the setting is usually the Caribbean and the New World.

I think everyone agrees the New World speaks more to our imagination, but if there's going to be another expansion to the map, one inspired by the Mediterranean region would make sense.

(Fun fact: There were ecclesiastical military orders exclusively devoted to combating pirates and freeing the slaves captured by them. There are hundreds of fortified churches along the French, Spanish, and Italian coasts because for centuries pirates acquired slaves by raiding coastal towns. The orders had pretty much eradicated piracy in the Mediterranean shortly before they became irrelevant after Malta was surrendered to Napoleon.)

From that I got the idea of aggressive human NPC ships patrolling the seas for pirates. It would be a change from the usually passive skeleton ships.

More likely additions I'd love to see, mentioned by FaceYourDemon, are more diverse flora and fauna (glowing fireflies, ants and other insects crawling rocks and trees, bio-luminescent algae lighting up coastal waves, jllyfsh lighting up deeper waters), and I like his idea of whirlpools (surprised they're not already in the game, now that hear of it).

(Don't know why I had to censor jllyfsh, it's a restricted word, and I feel like I probably don't want to know.)

Maybe also some interaction with nature. How immersive it would be if, for example, you fire a shot and you hear leaves rustling and see birds flying up.

Also, I'd like skeletons to spawn far less often (or by certain player activities, like digging up treasure does), because when they are certain to spawn, based on a timer, it removes the feeling of surprise or the unknown. That feeling is certainly part of pirate fiction.

When I first started playing the game, I so much wanted to explore the islands, enjoy my surroundings, watch the sunset from the beach, listen to the ambience, hoping to hear some unknown threat or curiosity in the distance, creeping closer, but every minute a bunch of skeletons spawned right next to me, breaking my immersion.

As for exploration, it would be cool if treasure can randomly be dug up by visual clues in your surroundings, and not necessarily via clues in the form of parchments.

But I accept that some of the above is either not in the vision of the game or a problem for performance.

mate the golden age of piracy was in the new world and yes it was a real thing so was what you said but yes i agree more stuff when they get the game under control

• @burnbacon said in What very stereotypical traditional pirate concept do you feel is missing from Sea of Thieves?:

Double wooden legs

Gunpowder gets wet and useless.

Pirates who do pirate things and dont get upset when stuff don’t go there way. They get revenge!

how about the black spot

• The "Maritime Union" that Rare has announced, maybe going "stronk" with a very famous ship players long to see for quite some time now.
    It is called the "Man o' War" for Sea of Thieves.

Here a fanvideo featuring a potential type of it once

• @odyssee-mit-tee said in What very stereotypical traditional pirate concept do you feel is missing from Sea of Thieves?:

The "Maritime Union" that Rare has announced, maybe going "stronk" with a very famous ship players long to see for quite some time now.
    It is called the "Man o' War" for Sea of Thieves.

Here a fanvideo featuring a potential type of it once

maybe the grand maritime union may be coming soon idk

• Pirate Gambling. Playing Dice, Or Cards, basic betting or currency trading.

Obviously I know gambling is a touchy subject, (what with MXT's and SoT being marketed to a younger audience), but it already has a "Drunk" feature, I hardly think gambling is bad, if at least done strictly through In-Game currency where no real money changes hands.

Could be done in-crew, or with opposing crews, gambling Doubloons or Gold, while playing Dice or Poker, or Black Jack while on your boat. It would not explicitly affect the currency earned, but the currency in game and more specifically where it is.

For example, A duo sloop with 2 players. Both players have 1000g, 2000g total. They could start up a game of Dice, or Cards etc, and could win or lose gold between players. The amount of gold did not change, you still have 2000g between the two, but who has it is what would change. This could allow currency to flow between players without changing the gold amount in game.

In many ways this could even introduce basic gold trading between players that already exists in MMO's - WoW, SWTOR - Perfect World - ESO - Black Desert etc etc, allowing those with WAY too much gold to spread the Currency, and those without to get a boost here and there to buy a cosmetic. Granted this type of trading usually accompanied item or gear trading and SoT obviously does not have that, but the basic precedence is still sound and tested in many other games.

(EDIT) - As an expansion to gold trading, there is also Gold Paying between players. Much like Merchants or Captains who hire a crew to perform certain tasks, a Captain could pay their crew when they succeed in certain actions, allocated by the Captain.

Example. Crew of 4, on a Galleon, Captain has 10000g. A feature could allow that player to pay his crew say 200g for killing a skeleton. So upon setting that feature up, if a skeleton is killed by the crewmate, that 200g is automatically taken from his 10000g, and awarded to the other player, meaning the Captain now has 9800g and one of his crew now has 200g.

Obviously you could not use this feature if you had no money so it would not just take you into the negative and of course you could turn it off, or have to keep setting certain tasks, manually (to ensure its controlled and not too overbearing.) but the concept is still sound.

• @awsmstaccntname said in What very stereotypical traditional pirate concept do you feel is missing from Sea of Thieves?:

Lemons and oranges please.

And grapefruit! 😅

• The Ghost of Robert Newton. Rare be British, they know who I'm talking about.

• @galactic-geek said in What very stereotypical traditional pirate concept do you feel is missing from Sea of Thieves?:

@awsmstaccntname said in What very stereotypical traditional pirate concept do you feel is missing from Sea of Thieves?:

Lemons and oranges please.

And grapefruit! 😅

and pomelos.

• @longbeardfellow said in What very stereotypical traditional pirate concept do you feel is missing from Sea of Thieves?:

The Ghost of Robert Newton. Rare be British, they know who I'm talking about.

As I am ignorant and American, I'll have to Google that 1... 😅

• muppets, neverland, and captain feathersword

• @jetorchidee97 Yep, same. I immediately think of Tortuga or Port Royal from PoTC.

I would also say that grapeshot would be a good addition.

• @wolfmanbush HA felt that one hard

• It's a small thing, and I remember seeing it in the concepts, but having different dagger and potion types hanging from your belt would add a little more flavor!

• @galactic-geek said in What very stereotypical traditional pirate concept do you feel is missing from Sea of Thieves?:

@longbeardfellow said in What very stereotypical traditional pirate concept do you feel is missing from Sea of Thieves?:

The Ghost of Robert Newton. Rare be British, they know who I'm talking about.

As I am ignorant and American, I'll have to Google that 1... 😅

He's the reason Pirates in movies say "arg". Watch Disney's Treasure Island

• Also, if NPCs don't get AI or movement, at least have them react to player activities, like the Fire Keeper does in Dark Souls III to player gestures, but also reacting to being sold certain treasures.

• Dagger vs Sail rip/slide... thingy.

The answer to "I want more boarding options"

Despite the fact that Mythbusters disproved this one, 'twould be cool if I could human cannonball aim for your canvas and have a cool entry.

Don't have a good counter so I don't mind it being missing

Views
15 out of 45