[Mega Thread] The Arena - Part 2

• Thank you all for your feedback and suggestions in our previous mega thread, as that one is now well over 10 pages we're opening a new mega thread.

Announcing Sea of Thieves: The Arena - a new competitive game mode coming in 2019. Prove your worth in the game's fifth free content update, test your pirating skills against other crews and impress the new Trading Company - the Sea Dogs!

Here are previous mega threads on this topic:

As you participate in this thread -

Keep to the Pirate Code
    As a reminder, the Pirate Code is more than just guidelines (though the reference really never gets old), but the rules of the community and game that we expect all members to abide by when participating on the forums. Any member who fails to abide by the code may find themselves put in the brig, or removed from the community.

We also have Forum Rules, which we moderate to.

貼文
    觀看數
  • @khaleesibot Cheers for the update and new thread!

My main concern as it now stands for Arena and the game:
    https://www.seaofthieves.com/forum/topic/75704/so-the-next-update-for-the-adventure-mode-is-4-6-months-away/2

• @khaleesibot

I'll quote Mike's post from the previous thread in here as well as a link to the summary of the panel.

@mikethemutinous said in [Mega Thread] Sea of Thieves: The Arena:

Lots to read on this thread and I've tried my best to digest it all.

Just a few thoughts based on some of the more consistent thoughts and feedback from this thread:

We discussed a mode like The Arena in the very early days of pitching the game and prototyping. The pitch is simple - have the 'greatest hits' of Sea of Thieves, but on demand. Getting involved in epic ship battles and competing over a more defined goal was the way we stress tested mechanics and demoed the game to new members of the team. In fact, this formed the basis of what we first showed off at E3 2016 and 2017 as we knew it was a bite sized chunk of Sea of Thieves that would play well in 20-30 minutes.

What this isn't though, is a straight split between 'PvE' and 'PvP'. Yes, The Arena will focus on competition between players, but it is categorically not about taking the 'thieves' out of Sea of Thieves. We focused on the Treasure Hunting gameplay for The Arena first because it had more scope to create memorable moments and stories over just straight battling, but its just one part of the overall game.

The core vision of Sea of Thieves is the player created stories that can occur and an experience that gives you a wide range of emotions within a shared world. The Arena just serves elements of this on demand with more of a defined focus. Its not a replacement, and certainly not a distraction from the core improvements and new content we want to add to the game you're currently playing.

As many of you have probably heard me talk about before, Sea of Thieves aims to capture the thrill of the pirate life and the game as it stands today, with its moments of exploration, escapism and excitement, aims to capture this in a unique way and give you moments that you won't forget. The primary focus remains the adventure experience, with The Arena having its own progression and rewards. Nothing changes elsewhere. If you're the kind of player that likes to attack other ships to steal their treasure, nothing will stop you doing that. If players want to come in and only play The Arena, they can, but they will be playing a small part of the Sea of Thieves experience.

This month, Shrouded Spoils aims to address some of the wider feedback points from the community, while we simultaneously also have our heads down crafting numerous new elements for the existing game, some new features / tools, some more far reaching.

We passionately believe in the game and we want more players to experience it so it can realise its full potential. Sailing towards the horizon, not knowing what dangers you'll face and living out the pirate fantasy you might have once dreamt about is the heart of Sea of Thieves. The more players that get to experience that and fall in love with it, the richer the Sea of Thieves experience will become.

@eratikstorm said in [Mega Thread] Sea of Thieves: The Arena:

This has "Pressure from Microsoft" written all over it. Sea of Thieves was pushed out as a Flagship title for the GamePass. It did massive numbers in the first 14 days and has not been able to maintain that engagement.

Adding this PvP Mode to pull in the BR/Deathmatch crowd sounds like a good buisness decision. It will also likely be a good avenue for Rare to add in the Cash Shop that we know has been planned (based on Rare's comments about the tabled "Pet" expansion).

I am sure this is not going to be the last controversial decision Rare makes with this IP. I would not be surprised if they use the Arena to test other things like Weapons with Stats, and armor, or other powerups as well. We will see what happens in time.

That is just not true ;)

We keep Microsoft informed and they may well give us feedback about how best to announce content, however they don't get involved with content decisions. This is Rare's responsibility and the team in Redmond just want to help us look after it.

It also doesn't mean that we're going to start changing the core approach to mechanics. Any improvements and additions will be shared by both experiences.

@dat-hill-boi said in [Mega Thread] Sea of Thieves: The Arena:

@mikethemutinous Thank you! This is what I was hoping to hear. I fell in love with the core Adventure game and would hate for that to get overshadowed. I want to see this game grow and stick around for the Long haul. If this will help, I'm all for it. Thanks for the reply and update.

As you might imagine, I live for the adventure! However, I'll nip into Arena now and again and have some fun.

@jetorchidee97 said in [Mega Thread] Sea of Thieves: The Arena:

@mikethemutinous With the addition of the Arena mode, what do you think today of a preloading community HUB (where you could crew with players, tell and hear stories, have minigames and chose your gamemode)?

Would love to do this!

@x-crowheart-x said in [Mega Thread] Sea of Thieves: The Arena:

@katttruewalker said in [Mega Thread] Sea of Thieves: The Arena:

A couple of questions answered in this tweet -
    https://twitter.com/ChappersChapman/status/1061380899676344321

Sea of Thieves is already at our fingertips. So our pirate battles and fighting over treasure. Same kind of stories and memories already a click or button press away.

We could have the same mechanic in the game now with voyages and maps sending us more to the same islands. It is what skull forts did. Rare could have given them renewed meaning as well as add the same map competitions to same sea.

It is ridiculous how they are hyping and selling us the same game bundled together as compressed miniSoT as an update. They are insulting their players right to their faces. Amazing how quickly another game developer makes an “immortal mistake.”

Really sorry you feel that way. You have to know that we consider all ways to implement content. Having this seamlessly in the world would be lovely, but most definitely would not be at your fingertips. With sailing times and server matchmaking it would be take too long (upwards of 20 mins probably). Nobody would really want to wait that long. Also you'd be giving players a portal to leave the experience and it would take some time for the missing ships to be replaced on the original server.

Its optional and you don't have to play it if its really not your thing but I would encourage you to give it a chance. The team is also working on numerous other features outside of this.

https://www.seaofthieves.com/forum/topic/75681/summary-of-x018-sea-of-thieves-panel-11th-november?page=1

• The Mixer link for anyone who didn't get a chance to see it yesterday like me:

Joe looks particularly hung over, but Craig is holding his own!
    You also need to jump to just under 60 minutes in as they left a long delay before for folks to get into the stream ready to watch.

1hr 21 minutes in:
    Audience member: "What next and how long will you be developing the game"
    Joe: "As long as people are playing it", "honestly, we have ideas for years", "so what we want is to be growing adventure, we want to be growing arena", "There's loads of different motivations for players wanting to play Sea of Thieves", "but we're all in, on both parts of the game", "there's obviously a team working on Arena, but there's also a team working on a future update that we haven't really talked about yet that's really about enhancing quests and being a bit more guided quests, guided goals, bring more lore, more story to Sea of Thieves", "We think that's going to bring some really new, really unique to adventure".

I'll hold him to that one! ;P

• The way I’ve heard it described is as a separate option on the menu but it would be cool if you could access it as part of the game too. Sail to the tavern with your crew, enter, get match made, do some Arena battles and the leave with your crew back to Adventure mode. Cool no?

• After some thought and with more information being released on the matter, i'm not totally against it anymore.

I still don't like splitting the playerbase, but know that from an ease of use and matchmaking standpoint, having The Arena seperated from the main game is a necessary evil.

Since the split will happen anyway and me complaining won't help much, i'm now more interested in how the community could further benefit from The Arena being it's own seperated thing - i'm thinking of being able to make custom rulesets for the various community driven/made Events like Skullball, En Garde, Brigatta etc. using the existing framework of The Arena.

Could that be a possible addition in the future? @MikeTheMutinous

• I think is not a "bad idea" per se, but it needs a lot of adjustements, and I think the feeling of a sandbox world could be less hurted (and, with it, all the "new mode" thing) if you can get in the arena mode talking with DeMarco Singh in his Sea of Thieves counterpart tavern despite the need to get out of the adventure and, once you finished your arena match, you could get in another adventure server with the same boat (and not the treasure you havent payed before).

In this way, you can set sail like allways, and if you need more action and all the ships in your server flee from your flag, then you could fight a real battle without the need of losing the work done in the ship when you come back (cause, for example, if you're waiting for a skeleton ship battle, you need the ship with enough supplies for that, and if you have been getting them is a waste of time to fight in the arena if you're going to gather them again)

• @personalc0ffee said in [Mega Thread] The Arena - Part 2:

It is nice to know they have basically entirely different teams on the projects so that they aren't pulling resources away from Adventure mode.

Unreleased update eh? Coffee is now intrigued by this...

@khaleesibot It might be a good idea to put in Mike's post from the other thread and pin them to the top of this one. It will answer a lot of questions and such.

Katt already did in the 3rd post Coffee

• I'd like to make a request for the next Developer Update Video: can we please have the same roadmap explanation like the one we got after launch? It was so clear and understandable for what's to come in Sea of Thieves. After this weekend I'm so confused and still have so many questions.

• Is The Arena Update bringing content only for the Arena mode? Will there be content at the same time for Sea of Thieves - ahem adventure mode?
    • Is the new Trading Company only available for the Arena mode or will players be able to do things for them even in the adventure mode and increase their reputation?
    • Is the new Tavern acting like the login screen and a Tortuga place or is it a social space only for Arena mode?
    • What does that mean for future updates? One Update for Arena then one update for adventure?
    • Where is the end-game content a lot of players are also waiting? We were promised before launch to have the Captaincy update for that and we all know that everything had to change, but why is it still in the backburner?
    • Why The Arena update has been prioritized over the plans of bringing more exploration, expanding the quests and lore into the game?

If there is actually a big 6 months of emptiness without any new content for the adventure mode, I'm really worried that you'll start to focus only on the Arena mode after because adventure players won't be active anymore.

• I'm hoping that there'll be some fundamental changes to combat in order to make things feel a bit more fluid and interesting. New melee weapons and ways to damage ships (boarding axe?) would be fantastic additions for this update.

• I’m also not a fan of splitting the player base, and I’m hoping that the fact that the two don’t share progression will alleviate that - you can’t get to PL in Arena, right?

I also hope that this doesn’t change the mindset regarding Adventure mode - that folks don’t start viewing it as the PvE mode.

Also, I hope they don’t put all the ships on your map. Kills immersion and decreases tension.

• @xraylexx ye would prefer it also add it to the game in that way.would make it more more clear the free map is the mainmode.they could add later tons of gamemodes ,skullball;)

• Several questions

1- Is there matchmaking?

2- Are there ranks?

3- New combat mechanics?

4- Are matches built like rounds or is it going to be a server dedicated to pvp?

• Are there time limits?
    • If it's a server where we are droped in to play Arena mode, is there going to be changes to the world map? Like limits to where you are supposed to go for the objectives of the games.

5- Is this another attempt at trying to make this game twitch friendly?

I also am concerned that this might turn main world activities into commendation grinds.

• I can honestly say from my own opinion this is now my second least favorite update announcement after the mermaid statues. I guess if people complain enough about things Rare will bend to it just to keep the game a float. whats next micro-transactions to disguise yourself as a barrel or cannonball pirate version of fortnite. And even more hilarious once again a crab in the trailer but can't even put crabs in as added sea life for cargo runs.

• @bran-the-ent

Due to them now calling it adventure mode I think it's pretty much guaranteed that the consensus will be that its a pve mode even though pvp is still an option. Plus I'd say most of the pvp orientated people will just play arena till new content drops then go back to arena after they've finished it

• The Arena brings also many concerns about cheating, bad behaviours and balance among the players.

• This is probably a mode specially built for streamers but what will you do against stream snipers? It was already a big issue in the non-competitive mode and that's going to be with no doubt much more frequent with competitiveness.
    • Will there be any deterrents for players who handicap their crew (AFK-farming, disconnections, trolling, toxic behaviour)? But on the other side, how is the system not going to penalize unfortunate crashes or errors as voluntary disconnections?
    • How are you making sure we will have a fair fight between players using different inputs? We all know that aiming with a controller is not as accurate and efficient with a mouse. That being said, it was a sad news to not see Sea of Thieves in the first games that will support KB+M on Xbox.
  • As a PVE player I think the Arena is a great idea, it adds more flavor to the game and will keep players coming back. I don't understand the argument other PVErs make that they are not adding in anything for us when that's obviously not true.

I use to play a PVPVE game and they had an arena that kept most of the PVP players focusing on that.

• @thor-von-blitz said in [Mega Thread] The Arena - Part 2:

Since the split will happen anyway and me complaining won't help much, i'm now more interested in how the community could further benefit from The Arena being it's own seperated thing - i'm thinking of being able to make custom rulesets for the various community driven/made Events like Skullball, En Garde, Brigatta etc. using the existing framework of The Arena.

Could that be a possible addition in the future? @MikeTheMutinous

To be honest @Thor-von-Blitz the only thing that would truly compliment the currently run community events would be a private/mode server type that resembles Minecrafts creative mode.
    The Arena will be even less conducive to these events than "Adventure Mode" due to the time limit on the Arena match itself. Considering events take 4-6 hours minimum between set up and execution... and that's if it all goes to plan.
    With all of that said I am excited for this, and have nothing but high hopes for what this could become.
    Sea of Thieves needed a match making system along these lines so people could drop into high intensity situations, experience the game like it used to be before all the PvE systems were put in place and watered it down immensely. But even before that, the fort hopping was still very time consuming, even though most PvP community point to that as the golden age of this game.
    It's all about how much fun are you having and how much time you are putting in... and unfortunately adventure mode demands alot of time and can really take away from the potential fun part of the equation. I think the real irony of all of this is nothing is going to change for Adventure mode... content drops, player base, current game state... everything will continue on its current trajectory for the base game. All Arena will do is supplement SoT with a much needed high intensity, time friendly mode that will bring back old players into the fold, and attract many new players. And yes, PvP oriented people will most likely favor this mode... but that's okay because they stopped playing the game entirely so it's better to have them in the Arena instead of not at all.

• @zormis said in [Mega Thread] The Arena - Part 2:

As a PVE player I think the Arena is a great idea, it adds more flavor to the game and will keep players coming back. I don't understand the argument other PVErs make that they are not adding in anything for us when that's obviously not true.

I use to play a PVPVE game and they had an arena that kept most of the PVP players focusing on that.

But that's exactly the problem, it keeps the pvp players in the arena! Normal mode shouldn't be some place where you can just care free farm your chests. Sea of thieves is going to miss most of the thieves with this.

• @solestone563412 said in [Mega Thread] The Arena - Part 2:

Bad idea and a Better Solution (post moved to this forum by request)

1 It can’t compete on the market. Combat in SoT is clunky and a secondary element of the game. Not so in many other games where it is done with finesse.

2 It splits the community. You may well play both, but you can’t be there and here at the same time.

3 It takes resources (time, energy, money) away from the Devs improving SoT.

4 It will hurt the regular game(see 2 and 3) SoT will be far less challenging and exciting when the "aggressive" Pirates are hanging out in the Arena.

5 We already have an Arena, it’s called the Sea of Thieves.

The better way: Introduce the Sea Farers faction to the regular game (exactly like you did with the Bilge Rats). Give them their own money (Florins?, Guilders?) and some occasional commendation events. Make the rewards for victory so tempting that even players who aren’t normally inclined to PvP think twice about giving it a shot. There’s nothing you can do in Arena that can’t be done, with a little creativity, within in the SoT.

I understand your idea of incorporating the Arena into the existing world with separate commendations and such, and it would be a good idea, but it doesn't solve the core issues of PvP which are that it is hard to find. With a map that will only continue to grow on a server whose capacity is still limited to 6 ships, you can sail for quite a while before coming across a boat, only to spend an hour chasing it. That isn't PvP.

What PvPers have called for, and what Rare hopes to satisfy with Arena, is constant PvP action for those who love to battle. PvP at the fingertips. Best part? It's PvP vs. other players who want to PvP....so we can no longer be accused of "griefing", "bullying", etc. We wanted PvP at anytime versus crews who want the same. Enter The Arena.

• @tuukkatl said in [Mega Thread] The Arena - Part 2:

@zormis said in [Mega Thread] The Arena - Part 2:

As a PVE player I think the Arena is a great idea, it adds more flavor to the game and will keep players coming back. I don't understand the argument other PVErs make that they are not adding in anything for us when that's obviously not true.

But that's exactly the problem, it keeps the pvp players in the arena! Normal mode shouldn't be some place where you can just care free farm your chests. Sea of thieves is going to miss most of the thieves with this.

I for one will still PvP in Adventure Mode and I dare say others will do the same. I'm not far from A10 but as long as SoT continues to add commendations and grind-worthy content in Adventure mode, I'll be there to play and to battle.

However, there are definitely some people who will not play Adventure mode, but most of these people are those who have already stopped playing SoT because of lack of PvP. Arena will bring back old fans and bring in new. Will Adventure mode be slightly less aggressive? Hard to say. It's not really aggressive now, so I imagine it will be similar to it is now. Time will tell.

• I think the arena is a bad idea, people who play the game for pvp will only stay inside the arena, they might not care about cosmetics in adventure mode, they won't grind to athena because that grind in itself is boring, even more if there are not thieves on the sea.

Why wasn't the existing pvp hotspots just improved in the game, why not add pvp faction in the world, or give rewards for sinking other ships, in the world. Why a separete mode when you guys said you would never do anything to separate the playerbase. This mode effectively will do that.

Sure there will be odd few who will go in adventure. I bought this game to play sea of thieves, not sea of thieves: arena or sea of thieves friendship edition. I want my chests with a dose of fear that someone is going to take them. But that will be past.

• @themasterplan84 Well, I still plan on stealing in Adventure mode, so... folks better not get mad.

• I voiced my opinions in Part 1 of this discussion. I still disagree with the idea of modes in Sea of Thieves. I feel the community as a whole would best be served by addressing why we all got to this point in the first place without moving outside the core game. It is still my opinion as I expressed to Mike the Mutinous that the principal purpose and mechanics of The Arena could fit into the open world without queuing and removing ships.

If this is going to be the future, then the future of the core game is really going to be in our hands as I said this morning in another thread. It will be up to us to make sure the adventure we all started with does not end. That it stays true to the heart and soul of the real Sea of Thieves!

• @tuukkatl I doubt it would keep all PVP players in the Arena and even some PVE players will attack you out of opportunity.

• @mortarchelle said in [Mega Thread] The Arena - Part 2:

@tuukkatl said in [Mega Thread] The Arena - Part 2:

I for one will still PvP in Adventure Mode and I dare say others will do the same. I'm not far from A10 but as long as SoT continues to add commendations and grind-worthy content in Adventure mode, I'll be there to play and to battle.

However, there are definitely some people who will not play Adventure mode, but most of these people are those who have already stopped playing SoT because of lack of PvP. Arena will bring back old fans and bring in new. Will Adventure mode be slightly less aggressive? Hard to say. It's not really aggressive now, so I imagine it will be similar to it is now. Time will tell.

yeah it is not aggressive because there are no rewards for sinking other ships. That should have been added, instead of other gamemodes. I hate all the pure pvp stuff, because it's just that, and I hate pure pve stuff too. I loved that we had mix of both. You never knew if the guys you saw were there to be nice or stab you in the back.

Forts for example, my favorite memories from this game are from forts and the battles that took place there. I loved when you met experienced crew in the world and you had to fight for your survival. I am worried that is all going to be past with arena. That nice mix of PvE and PvP made the game amazing to me, if it's going to disappear then I will stop playing.

Sure it might bring new players but they come for the pvp, not for adventure mode. The ones that quit because lack of pvp wont be joining the adventure either, because they are here for the PvP too.

• @bran-the-ent

Tbf you maybe able to steal more loot if people start considering adventure mode as a pve server cause they may not be so paranoid about others and therefore carry more

Personally I want other pirates attempting to steal my loot as it makes the grind more thrilling but I just feel it'll be one big Sea of friends (with the exception of your server) so I will probably just switch to arena when it drops

• @personalc0ffee said in [Mega Thread] The Arena - Part 2:

@sshteeve said in [Mega Thread] The Arena - Part 2:

@personalc0ffee said in [Mega Thread] The Arena - Part 2:

It is nice to know they have basically entirely different teams on the projects so that they aren't pulling resources away from Adventure mode.

Unreleased update eh? Coffee is now intrigued by this...

@khaleesibot It might be a good idea to put in Mike's post from the other thread and pin them to the top of this one. It will answer a lot of questions and such.

Katt already did in the 3rd post Coffee

Ah, delayed reload got me. That post was not there until I reloaded the page! There was a few ones though, should grab them all.

Added :)

• @zormis said in [Mega Thread] The Arena - Part 2:

@tuukkatl I doubt it would keep all PVP players in the Arena and even some PVE players will attack you out of opportunity.

Doesn't that make you PvP player then ? :)

• @urihamrayne said in [Mega Thread] The Arena - Part 2:

Several questions

1- Is there matchmaking?

2- Are there ranks?

3- New combat mechanics?

4- Are matches built like rounds or is it going to be a server dedicated to pvp?

• Are there time limits?
    • If it's a server where we are droped in to play Arena mode, is there going to be changes to the world map? Like limits to where you are supposed to go for the objectives of the games.

5- Is this another attempt at trying to make this game twitch friendly?

I also am concerned that this might turn main world activities into commendation grinds.

1. So far there has been nothing about Match Making, you will queue up in the Tavern and spawn into the Arena Instance when it is ready.

2. Sea Dogs will be a new faction, so there will be ranks. As for personal ranks based on Kills/performance there is no information about that.

3. New Combat mechanics have not been talked about, however Falcore in his most recent video did allude to possible new weapons. I am not sure if he is in more of the know or just speculating.

4. The panel did indicate the Arena is a shorter, quick play experience and you get rewards by collecting the most treasure in a specificed amount of time, so yes it will be a timed event. The Arena Maps are going to be smaller and not the whole world. Everyone will have the same maps.

5. Likley

And the main world will continue to be a PVE grind... but if you are ok with people yelling "Why are you killing us, why don't you go to the Arena" while you kill them and take their stuff, the main world may be full of more complacent and easy to kill prey.

• @tuukkatl said in [Mega Thread] The Arena - Part 2:

@tuukkatl I doubt it would keep all PVP players in the Arena and even some PVE players will attack you out of opportunity.

I think it makes you a pirate, just sayin'

• @katttruewalker said in [Mega Thread] The Arena - Part 2:

@tuukkatl said in [Mega Thread] The Arena - Part 2:

I think it makes you a pirate, just sayin'

Arrrr! True!

• The Arena is PvP. Adventure will remain as PvEvP. That isn't going to change because there will always be thieves on the Sea of Thieves. Those who prefer a fast-paced competitive experience will have that in the Arena. Those who prefer to hunt down ships to plunder will have that in Adventure mode.

• @tuukkatl I think you'll still get the same amount of threat and PvP in Adventure mode if I had to wager any bets. You won't have as many people killing you just for the sake of it perhaps, but forts will still exist, loot will still exist, and those will always be an attraction for pirates who want the booty! :)

• @ant-heuser-kush said in [Mega Thread] The Arena - Part 2:

Adventure Mode isn't a free pass to legend. I will still sink ships. I used to be a defensive PvPer, but now I'm going to treat the game like launch. I'm going to be in Adventure Mode to remind people that they are playing SoT.

I like the sound of that!

貼文
觀看數
頁數 5/254