[Mega Thread] Real world timings of Cursed Sails Battles

• @hynieth This might help me out. It’s 8:23am 8/2/18. What time is it for you?

• @iviister-z
    East coast us is 5hr behind BST

• @IVIister-Z

14:23 02-08-2018

Wait it's Febuary there?

• @hynieth lol. You’re 6 hours ahead of me. According to your buddy’s chart I can subtract 6 hours and hope that time frame works for me. I’ve played 3 days in a row where it was the 1-3 days in game. Just trying to time it so I can experience wilds and aisles :)

• @binaryplayerone
    I think the benefits are more players can join together if there is only one active and possibly reduction of some sort of performance issues if multiple ship battles were running concurrently. But I don’t know. Something needs to change.

• @riareth said in [Mega Thread] Real world timings of Cursed Sails Battles:

My proposed solution that makes one single change is to rotate the areas every game month by moving the next location up one slot

I think that's the best idea yet! No need to mess with the current time system at all that way. :)

• Hey Everyone

Thanks for the passionate feedback and responses here, really appreciate the suggestions and solutions trying to improve the experience for everyone.
    We’ve been discussing this as a team and the potential ways we could improve the IRL timings, and give you more opportunities to encounter the regional battles and earn the exclusive cosmetics. We should have trapped the timezone impact sooner, we didn't intend for certain battles to require such a time investment from players.

We have a small window between each weeks builds where we can make changes and iterate based on feedback, however large scale changes aren’t possible without introducing risk to the campaign.
    With this in mind we are investigating improvements that we could still make to give more players the opportunity to earn the commendations and exclusive cosmetics for the next stages of the campaign.

I’ll update further on this once we have a plan, thanks everyone for the feedback!

• I wondered why every time I go on it’s the same date in the game and I have to do the same Fleet over and over again.

This needs randomising sooner rather than later as I can’t really play though the night or during the day due to work and family commitments.

• @binaryplayerone said in [Mega Thread] Real world timings of Cursed Sails Battles:

The solution to this is super simple.

The skeleton ships will be in these areas all the time while this even lasts.

No more waiting for the right time nonsense and everyone can play and have fun. Because why not? What is the benefit for the players and the game to have them at a timed schedule?

The benefit will be in performance as having multiple battles on a single server simultaneously will add a lot of extra strain.

• The best solution - which will never occur - is to have one area per week - three zones, three weeks, and have the Skellie Crew you fight be randomly drawn at the start of each battle.

• @sonicbobjr said in [Mega Thread] Real world timings of Cursed Sails Battles:

Hey Everyone

Thanks for the passionate feedback and responses here, really appreciate the suggestions and solutions trying to improve the experience for everyone.
    We’ve been discussing this as a team and the potential ways we could improve the IRL timings, and give you more opportunities to encounter the regional battles and earn the exclusive cosmetics. We should have trapped the timezone impact sooner, we didn't intend for certain battles to require such a time investment from players.

We have a small window between each weeks builds where we can make changes and iterate based on feedback, however large scale changes aren’t possible without introducing risk to the campaign.
    With this in mind we are investigating improvements that we could still make to give more players the opportunity to earn the commendations and exclusive cosmetics for the next stages of the campaign.

I’ll update further on this once we have a plan, thanks everyone for the feedback!

Thank you for the update Drew!

• @bran-the-ent said in [Mega Thread] Real world timings of Cursed Sails Battles:

The best solution - which will never occur - is to have one area per week - three zones, three weeks, and have the Skellie Crew you fight be randomly drawn at the start of each battle.

This is actually a great idea. But I would change one thing. I would have the different skeleton crews be active 1 week at a time.

It would do it much more enjoyable to do these. But it would also irritate those who cant play every week. But then again those people will be irritated when they realize they have to plan their gaming session according to the spawn time inside the game....

I just cant stop shaking my head with this update. What did Rare think when they said "this sounds like something the community will love". Especially seeing how people react to timed events before...

My head.....my poor head.

• @sonicbobjr It's good to know it's being looked at. Thanks for the update! :)

• @iviister-z said in [Mega Thread] Real world timings of Cursed Sails Battles:

@hynieth Fo you know off the top of your head the difference for Eastern Time Zone?

The differece between EST and GMT+1 (Western Europe) is 6 hours.
    So we're 6 hours ahead of EST.

• @sonicbobjr Thanks for the update! I am sure this will ease a few peoples fears that they weren't being heard and were never going to be able to complete the commendations!

Thanks for reaching out to us. I wish the team all the best in finding the ideal solution.

• @sonicbobjr said in [Mega Thread] Real world timings of Cursed Sails Battles:

We have a small window between each weeks builds where we can make changes and iterate based on feedback, however large scale changes aren’t possible without introducing risk to the campaign

I think this is a really important statement here I’ve completely forgotten about. It’s not a matter of “ignoring” feedback from the playerbase, it’s about the time crunch during the event that really limits the feedback implementation. In a 3 week campaign there’s not a lot of time to discuss, design, implement, test, fix, and publish a change based on feedback, even less if it’s a 2 week Bilge Rat Adventure. Obviously small design changes like moving the crows nest on the brig can be done much easier as it’s a much smaller change, but larger changes that require more engineering in that timeframe must be very challenging.

I’m really happy that you did bring up this time crunch because maybe it’s time to lengthen events a bit and instead of a hard-transition period where we lose one event and add another, maybe they gradually appear and disappear so it feels more seamless?

Sorry to go off-topic there for a bit

I do really appreciate you addressing the overall timing of the event issue here though and that it’s something you didn’t expect. I don’t think you guys can plan for every outcome at all, so it’s good that you’ve taken the feedback and are going to look into how to change it! Look forward to seeing your next update and thanks for this one Sonic!

• @binaryplayerone @Sonicbobjr You could still do what’s being done now... have three crews per week with the different cursed cannonballs, just have the three in one zone each week.

For instance:

Week 1: The Wilds - The Cursed Helm, The Foul Grog, The Dancing Demon.

Week 2: Ancient Isles - The Fools Stride, The Treacherous Bounty, The Enslaving Chain

Week 3: Shores of Plenty (ending where it all began) - The Sandman’s Revenge, The Black Viper, The Siren’s Gale

Then have battles 3 times a RL day with each crew for that week being a random draw at the start of the battle. Everyone will have a chance to tackle each crew and everyone will know the times and places for each battle.

But, understanding the time crunch, it may be too late for this solution.

• The whole thing is a bit tricky about the time which is the same on every server. Also 4 hours between the timezones of the skelettonships is much too long... Just make it 5 Days between each periode and I think everything whould be better for everyone (5 days=2hours) I think this would also be the easiest way for the devs to change the whole thing. Date could then: 1-5 6-10 11-15 rotation beginns new 16-20 21-25 26-30. If changed like this you maybe also have just one try to master the area but also earlier the chance for the next try...

Sry if my english is not correct hope everything is understandabble...

• @sonicbobjr Thank you for the update. Looking forward to what solution the team comes up with.

• I don’t like the real world timings of events. I wouldn’t mind if it meant that throughout reasonable hours during the evening, all three events took place. But let’s take shores o plenty for example. Is the only one I currently haven’t completed.

I work a 9 to 5 Job five days a week, as I’m sure I’m not the only one. So to do shores o plenty I have to either book tome off work to be home between 1-5 or stay up way past what my bedtime should be on a work night to get this done.

This is just my experience this week, and fair enough these is weekend days, I’m unfortunately away this weekend so it’s not an option to try on Saturday or Sunday.

Considering people have real world responsibilities. These events should have more flexibility. I thought they were going to work like forts, which in my opinion would have been a much better and fairer way of doing it.

• @dhg-ixxrmacxxi said in [Mega Thread] Real world timings of Cursed Sails Battles:

I think this is a really important statement here I’ve completely forgotten about. It’s not a matter of “ignoring” feedback from the playerbase, it’s about the time crunch during the event that really limits the feedback implementation.

It's a great point you're making. Many people seem to feel like they're just shouting into the ether and if ideas/fixes aren't implemented it's because Rare aren't listening or don't care. Others know that isn't the case and @Sonicbobjr 's post proves that, but it might be good if the reasons why certain things can't be done were to be made known more often. Yeah some people might not be bothered with the technical details, but I'm sure many would be, and it would answer a lot of critics who think making certain changes are easy.

Maybe we could even get a behind the scenes vlog on the topic?

• @sonicbobjr cheers for the update Sonic Bob!

• @dhg-ixxrmacxxi said in [Mega Thread] Real world timings of Cursed Sails Battles:

@sonicbobjr said in [Mega Thread] Real world timings of Cursed Sails Battles:

We have a small window between each weeks builds where we can make changes and iterate based on feedback, however large scale changes aren’t possible without introducing risk to the campaign

I think this is a really important statement here I’ve completely forgotten about. It’s not a matter of “ignoring” feedback from the playerbase, it’s about the time crunch during the event that really limits the feedback implementation. In a 3 week campaign there’s not a lot of time to discuss, design, implement, test, fix, and publish a change based on feedback, even less if it’s a 2 week Bilge Rat Adventure. Obviously small design changes like moving the crows nest on the brig can be done much easier as it’s a much smaller change, but larger changes that require more engineering in that timeframe must be very challenging.

I’m really happy that you did bring up this time crunch because maybe it’s time to lengthen events a bit and instead of a hard-transition period where we lose one event and add another, maybe they gradually appear and disappear so it feels more seamless?

Sorry to go off-topic there for a bit

I do really appreciate you addressing the overall timing of the event issue here though and that it’s something you didn’t expect. I don’t think you guys can plan for every outcome at all, so it’s good that you’ve taken the feedback and are going to look into how to change it! Look forward to seeing your next update and thanks for this one Sonic!

Or....
    maybe not have them time limited in the first place.
    I mean sure, I understand that they are because Microsoft want to incentivise gamepass subscriptions whilst they drip feed content.
    But it's still a pants on head [mod edited] way of doing it.
    It means that new and returning players will always miss out on any context to additions like chairs and statues, or a big shark, or actual unique content that isn't the same 3 flavours of fetch quest.
    Figuring out clues to locations of journals is the closest thing this game has to actual puzzles.
    And it gets taken out after a couple of weeks each time.

Poor design
    Poor management

But hey, at least MS will get those monthly payments right?

• @mrmcdoll
    honestly feels like the servers are too weak to handle more than one live event at a time. I vaguely remember reading or seeing a video that the servers are running on some pretty basic single core cpus but idk anything about servers tbh.

It's just a shame because I'd like to see all these events to stay active, and once we have a larger map with forsaken shores, we might also need more players on a server.

• @nebenkuh said in [Mega Thread] Real world timings of Cursed Sails Battles:

@mrmcdoll
    honestly feels like the servers are too weak to handle more than one live event at a time..

I read an article about how they can barely handle anything more than a few ships in each server.
    Apparently the sea takes up so much of the engine's resources that it severely limits everything else.
    That'll be why the kraken and forts were taken out too.
    Guarantee it'll be to do with some kind of background scheduling or timing issue.

It's so maddening that this game is really only a pretty sea simulator and that's all it'll ever be cos the servers can't handle any more than that.

• How about rotating the zones dates per week, for example:

Week 1              Week 2              Week 3

Shores of Plenty = 1 - 10th | 11 - 20th | 21 - 30th
    Ancient Isles = 11 - 20th | 21 - 30th | 1- 10th
    The Wilds = 21 -30th | 1 - 10th | 11 - 20th

• I think the best way to handle the real world timed events (at least in the case of the Cursed Sails currently) Is to just rotate the times and the corresponding areas of the map each week for the 3 weeks of the event. That way those who have a set time-frame to play will have each of the 3 zones rotate through their time slot over the course of 3 weeks.

• @mrmcdoll
    Exactly. Kinda feels like they didn't really anticipate the success and scale of the game correctly. I really hope they will upgrade eventually.

• Rotating the Skellie spawn dates every week won't really help as if you play between a set number of hours you will probably end up only defeating 2 crews out of the 3 max. Meaning 2/3 missing commendations each week.

If they were more randomised in game every day then there would be a better chance of seeing all three weekly crews but less of a chance of planning ahead with friends.

@mrmcdoll
    Exactly. Kinda feels like they didn't really anticipate the success and scale of the game correctly. I really hope they will upgrade eventually.

I reckon it was only ever a tech concept, and internal mismanagement and general ineptitude lead it in circles for a few years.
    Obviously during that time, [mod edited] at rare went into hype overdrive so that they'd get moonbeams worth of initial sales.
    Then they promised drip fed content in order to keep people paying for gamepass.
    In a way, releasing an alpha for full price works in Microsoft's favour when the alternate price is 10bucks right?
    Or even "free" cos of the trial.

Seeing that the game is supposedly super fun and popular with hip streamers, but not worth full price makes it a tastier deal on gamepass.

You buy gamepass, they then promise a new big expansion in a few weeks.

Oh and they take all the content out after a couple of weeks, to stop savvy people just waiting a year, buying it for cheap and playing it all in one go.

They make it so you'll "miss out" on such awesome, totally unique and exciting and exclusive stuff (tm) if you don't PLAY NOW ON GAMEPASS SLAVE... sorry, loyal fan and beloved customer! (dunno what came over me. I think I channelled rare and Microsoft too much there!)

• @mrmcdoll
    Well I genuinely enjoyed the game from release, with the content it had then. But I have a crew of irl friends and I own a sailboat, so I guess I was very biased from the start.
    I definetely see where you're coming from.

But I guess this thread isn't the right place for that, we're starting to derail a bit. :D

• As stated by the official types above there is a matter of a time crunch/limited window for minor adjustments which in my opinion is the biggest problem of all.

With the content being temporary if anything goes wrong the content is not only inaccessible to many but by the time things get fixed to the best of their ability the content itself is half over. Each event has had some hiccup minor or major. This model of constant temporary events just means constant adding/changing/altering of code and internal workings. I don't know game design but I imagine that level of changing would be hard to stabilize/get things to play nice together. Ultimately it makes a limited time event that much more time limited for some.

While I like to think this was not their goal this real world time schedule event has really made me feel like they don't want casual players. I get one day a week with the same time window each week. While Rare as a company has nothing to do with my personal restrictions they are certainly steering the game away from my participation abilities. Up until this point it has worked out and I got 2 sessions per event to tackle things and participate/complete enough to be happy with my time.

I don't know what the solution is outside of reworking the event. As this can't happen I'm inclined to count this one as a loss in my book and see what the future brings...

...even so the constant friction between participation windows and my schedule is getting tiresome and at the end of the day a video game no matter how great just isn't worth it. Time will tell but if being a casual player means I get to experience content when it's background clutter then maybe this isn't a good game for my casual approach to gaming.

@mrmcdoll
    Well I genuinely enjoyed the game from release, with the content it had then. But I have a crew of irl friends and I own a sailboat, so I guess I was very biased from the start.
    I definetely see where you're coming from.

But I guess this thread isn't the right place for that, we're starting to derail a bit. :D

Lol true.
    Sorry, I can't help myself, I'm so salty that the game was hyped up as something it isn't!

I say, forget being a slave to irl time of day battles in Sea of Thieves, go strap a cannon onto your sailboat and do it for real!!

• @yoshi2222 said in [Mega Thread] Real world timings of Cursed Sails Battles:

How about rotating the zones dates per week, for example:

Week 1              Week 2              Week 3

Shores of Plenty = 1 - 10th | 11 - 20th | 21 - 30th
    Ancient Isles = 11 - 20th | 21 - 30th | 1- 10th
    The Wilds = 21 -30th | 1 - 10th | 11 - 20th

The problem would still exist since there are commendations that require you to kill all 9 crews.

• @sonicbobjr thanks for the update.

See everyone, they do post on the official forums. In your face Reddit!

貼文
觀看數
頁數 73/168