[Mega Thread] PvP and PvE Playstyle Discussion

• @silverwing-525

Oh please just grow up will you.. This is a video game we are talking about where people are just getting upset about absolutely nothing at the end of the day, nobody changes their views they just have to be restated every single day because nobody bothers to read back even one page.

I challenge you to show me one single instance where somebody changed their stance.. Come on, back up your waffle!

• After reading the last few pages I wanted to summerise a few things:

• Arena was proposed to the community as a condensed, straight to the action version of the main game. In reality what we got was a PvP mode with slight PvE elements. I think this is the reason that only 2% of the players time has been spent in arena.
    • The Majority of PvE requests are for a copy of Adventure without PvP - This is where the arguement of it going against the core concept comes in. I, like most others, have nothing against a seperate PvE mode similar to Arena, where you earn a unique set of commendations/cosmetics towards a PvE Faction. However because of how bad Arena crashed and burned and how well the game is currently doing, can I see the Dev's investing any time into developing a seperate mode? No.
    • The reason this megathread was set up was to move all the discussion around this topic into one place. There was unconfirmed rumours that to join a particular SoT Clan (specifically one designed for alliance servers) you had to make a post requesting a 'PvE Server'.

The facts are that Rare have openly expressed that they have no intention of moving away from their core design concept of a shared world experience. I know some people are sick of hearing that but it's the message the Dev's have across and because it's a consistent message, you're going to hear it all the time.

The sooner this thread is closed the better because it has just become a cesspit of insults towards the Dev's and those that dare defend the game being played the way its designed.

• @silverwing-525 said in [Mega Thread] PvP and PvE Playstyle Discussion:

@combatxkitty

1. Nothing has been "proven" by you whatsoever here. You people change from nice to nasty and back again on the drop of a hat. Whatever suits your purposes better. You also change your stances on issues to counter and shut down any conversation that could lead to meaningful changes or discussion of such changes.

Hi,

Actually it has been proven that the devs, as it stands, do not want, or plan to compromise the game to be something it was not designed to be, in that of a segregated PvE only adventure mode. The mods just need to close this thread now and continue to redirect forum users to the recent podcast.

1. You take the time to say that I don't have anything positive to contribute right after directly insulting my character and after shutting down tons of other users for months on end. Very hypocritical.

If repeating what the devs have told us is "shutting people down", then sure even I am guilty of that. But I'd say it is more like trying to tell Flat Earthers that the World really is a sphere...And I'll do it again right now merely by repeating what we have been told so please read this carefully:

On the importance of the game being a shared world...

• list itemJoe Neate: "The whole core premise of SOT is that it’s a shared world. To get to Pirate Legend, there will be danger and there will be other players, the risk and the reward is all part of it …that’s what SOT has always been, it’s a shared world adventure game, there is a purpose to that…it’s all about a shared world and we have no intention to deviate from that." - Proof is here.

Next on not wanting to segregate players...

• list item"We don't want to split players, we don't want to split player types, the whole identity of sea of thieves is a shared world and the different kind of motivations within it." Proof is here.

Next on the need to keep PvP a core aspect...

• list item"We want players to experience the thrill of a player ship versus another player ship in battle. Turning the chance of these encounters off completely has never felt like Sea of Thieves." Proof is here.

Next on people attacking others...

• list item"People attacking other player's ship, and people stealing items off players and making their getaway and stuff, it's obviously, that's absolutely acceptable as part of Sea of Thieves**, **it's a shared world, its always been a shared world, it's always been the intent that there is gonna be risks when you are out there on the seas. And so that kind of player behaviour is absolutely within the spirit of Sea of Thieves." Proof is here.

Next on the games increasing popularity...

• list item"In terms of the scale of SoT, our community and player base, we're pretty much in the biggest place we have ever been, and this is what is amazing when you look back, we set up with the goal of making THE pirate game, let's take that amazing theme and genre, and really bring it to life and reality, we're nearly end of our third year, but EVERY year has been bigger than the last and that's no different for this year. So in December we just had our second biggest month ever in terms of users, and right now we are on track for January to be OUR BIGGEST MONTH EVER in terms of monthly activity and users, which is amazing place to be as we are heading into this year, heading into seasons, it's a real healthy mix of new players, returning players, super engaged players, but we really all-in in this." Proof is here.

Next is more undeniable evidence from the latest podcast that the game is not going to have a PvE only mode – you may be disappointed:

• list item"At the heart of SOT, The core vision and experience that we've wanted to create is around players creating stories together." That is how it started and he goes on to say that "it's not just about ships battling, it's not just about searching for lost treasures, it's about overcoming perilous weather, it's about uneasy alliances with other crews out there in a pirate world. So all of these things speak to the variety of how these different encounters interact in that shared world. So the design philosophy essentially is that players; we've always seen them the same as the threats that the world throws at you. Players are a key part of the difficulty of Sea of Thieves, like players are a difficulty variable in terms of you playing your adventures."

And he goes on..

• list item"while of course we want players to have adventures with their friends, where it feels like it is just them in the world; they can have these rich PvE encounters where they're doing tall tales, they're doing treasure hunts, they're exploring lost ancient vaults, but there is always a chance of seeing another sailor on the horizon, like you would expect if you were really in a pirate world."

Also from the same podcast - he tells us exactly what makes the game SOT...

• list item"So that balance between having these rich PvE adventures while having the possibility of these PvP encounters - that is what Sea of Thieves is**. **That is the heart of what SOT is. Our players are at the heart of that and the interactions between players is what drives those stories because it's different players, different crews on different ships - each following their own motivation. Some players want to go take on vault defence, some players want to go find lost treasure, some players want to play the role of the hunters - hunting other players. That fact and design philosophy is driven all of these smaller decisions in SOT, in terms of how treasure is physical, because it can be part of someone's stories, and it can be stolen and that's why it is Sea of Thieves."

Unambiguous message about how the are not going to have a segregated PvE only mode:

• list item“We don't have a specific plan to just go 'hey we're going to do private servers' and allow everybody to just go spin up a private server and progress their way to pirate legend, play all the content they want in a specific kind of setting like that, that isn't the plan we have.”

And even more about how they will not compromise on what the game already is:

• list item"How do we deal with that feedback of people wanting to experience this without that threat, is this something we want to do? is there a way to do it? but the key thing is that we cannot compromise what is at the heart of sea of thieves, which is a SWAG, a shared world adventure game, and **the other players, the threat, the risk and also the unknown of what is gonna happen when you encounter other players can lead to some of the most memorable, some of the best stories and a thing that make SoT most unique, and I think those stories are the ones that mean the most to us and we will never compromise on the heart, that's what we can always say.” Proof is here.

End of quotes

So what is it that isn't clear here?

It's really just no longer up for debate mate. This topic is done. Finito. Game over dude. People can say what they like and continue to ask for a PvE only adventure mode, but it is a waste of time as it is never going to happen. Save your energy. We can either be in total denial about that and stagnate and just hope that one day the Earth will become flat, or move on whilst accepting this fact that the Devs are not interested in compromising their game, which is absolutely their right.

You know, this fact should be accepted in good spirit, in victory and loss and most people who are seen as "gatekeepers" are probably just fed up that people are not digesting the information the Devs have given us - not the information us "gatekeepers" are giving you second hand - but the information the actual Devs are giving us all.

1. And finally, you say that devs don't read this thread.. Then why in the world would they be the ones to set it up in the first place? Or are you trying to tell me that, like you, they only want to shut down people asking for a pve mode?

I think the Mods set it up to appease those who want a good old moan about things. I would sort of sympathise with you in a way, because now it is clear that this mode isn't happening; they should shut it immediately to stop this absurd never ending cycle of madness continuing.

The Devs have spoken and now the forum needs to own this and also accept that by not allowing this pointless and exhausted conversation to continue, all they are really doing is giving false hope to those who did want the mode.

They did the right thing in allowing it in the first place of course, but to also allow it to carry on would be a massive waste of everyone's time and borderline inappropriate given we could all be doing other things like just playing the game and getting better at it - myself included.

So to the mods; please shut this thread down. It is the right thing to do now we have a clear answer from the Dev team which has categorically ruled out the notion of a PvE only adventure mode and thus rendered this "PvP and PvE Playstyle Discussion" and the reasons it started in the first place as void.

Cheers

• @silverwing-525 said in [Mega Thread] PvP and PvE Playstyle Discussion:

@combatxkitty

1. Nothing has been "proven" by you whatsoever here. You people change from nice to nasty and back again on the drop of a hat. Whatever suits your purposes better. You also change your stances on issues to counter and shut down any conversation that could lead to meaningful changes or discussion of such changes.

My tone changes accordingly to who I am dealing with. If you want to be treated kindly with respect then I expect the same. back. I don’t change my stance on anything lol. My stance is and always has been not wanting a carbon copy of adventure mode.

You come here insulting people and you want to accuse others of being nasty and not having meaningful conversation. You have a strange perspective.

1. You take the time to say that I don't have anything positive to contribute right after directly insulting my character and after shutting down tons of other users for months on end. Very hypocritical.

Yep you don’t. All I see here is you making up stuff and attacking members who post here. Shutting down users for months? Yeah some I disagree with for sure but this is a public forum, do you not know how public forums work? Not everyone will agree with everyone who posts. The only hypocrite here is you.

1. And finally, you say that devs don't read this thread.. Then why in the world would they be the ones to set it up in the first place? Or are you trying to tell me that, like you, they only want to shut down people asking for a pve mode?

The devs did not set this thread up. Again you have no idea what you are taking about. The mods of this forum did they are not game devs and as far as I know they were not instructed by Rare devs to set it up.

Actually a Rare employee did finally step in (not sure if they work on game or just this website but my guess is they help run website) and said this thread will be shut down. so I guess either yeah they don’t want to hear it or they don’t see a need for a place where people like yourself can harass and attack their player base for simply thinking the PvPVE game they bought should remain PvPVE at its core and agreeing with the devs on the subject. That’s pretty much all this thread has been, I’ve tried to discuss PvE modes to no avail. So yeah this thread can’t get shutdown quick enough , nothing but negativity.

Also try to understand I simply disagree with having a carbon copy of main adventure but that’s it just like some disagree with me. I’ve had people disagree with me saying a PvE mode where we can make gold would be a good idea, they say no gold at all. I have had people disagree with me about making Tall Tales it’s own instance aswell. DidI get personally offended and attack them? No, no I did not because I understand it is ok for people to not agree with everything I have to say in life. Once you realize that life becomes less of an outrage.

Anyways you have a good day and maybe you need to take a step back from Sea of Thieves if this is how it drives you to behave.

@deckhands can’t close this fast enough. Now it’s just a nasty few left since the podcast lashing out at people they don’t even know over something as silly as a video game.

• @combatxkitty said in [Mega Thread] PvP and PvE Playstyle Discussion:

(...) The devs did not set this thread up. Again you have no idea what you are taking about. The mods of this forum did they are not game devs and as far as I know they were not instructed by Rare devs to set it up.

Actually ... Lady Aijou started this thread and that user has Rare Employee below their name. Not sure by "dev" people in this thread denote actual developers or people who work for Rare
    ... As who reads it ... that doesn't matter - it can be a trainee that is tasked with making notes and passing them on to someone in charge who then might task a developer "to make it so" ... there might be some meetings in between though.
    If a "developer" would read it, (s)he still has to go through channels before work is started...

What do people think will happen after closing this thread ? There will just be some new topics from new accounts each day I guess.

For the rest, you're right on the money.

• Ahoy!

Due to the ongoing combative nature of this thread and the number of flags we are receiving about negative sentiment being directed towards other players, we have taken the decision to lock the thread early.

For anyone wanting information regarding the team's thoughts on PvEvP, we have created a new pinned post here.

Thank you,
    j0toro

• @silverwing-525 Please do not engage in witch hunts and callouts on the forums. It is against our forum rules, and your post has been edited accordingly.

貼文
1.7m
觀看數
頁數 5289/5293