[Mega Thread] Crossplay announcement in the recent Dev Update video.

• The recent announcement by Rare about proposed crossplay choice, as heard in the Dev Update video of 30th January has kicked off a whole lot of discussion within the Community so we thought that a mega thread would be a good idea to collect feedback and opinion in one place.

If you've not seen the video, you can watch it here:

What Joe has said specifically is:

'If you're playing on console and you're using a controller you will have the option to only matchmake with other players on console using a controller.'

'There will be two pools of players'

To be implemented prior to Arena.

https://twitter.com/Gamerboss/status/1092090305187319808

Recent quotes from Craig Duncan (Studio Head):

"We aren’t removing crossplay; we are adding an option for console players using controller to opt out of crossplay if they choose. We expect most players, especially in Adventure, to still play using crossplay, but this is important option to add with The Arena coming"

"The crossplay option is not coming in the February update, see Joe’s last dev update for more info, the team is working now on implementation of the option settings & our goal is to have this in & tested prior to The Arena"

"Servers will still have the same density they do today as we spin up Azure servers as players join & backfill new crews into live servers. Our server density is architected to not be affected by the size of our player pop, but to vary the player encounter frequency & stories"

"Our player population is super healthy on both PC and Xbox & has been since launch. While we don’t tweet usage data reactively, we will figure out how we share more stats on this soon to give context why players don’t need to worry about our live player or platform populations"

"As I said at the top, we have always strived for everyone to enjoy #SeaOfThieves whether you are a brand-new player or someone that has been with us from the start, we prioritise all players & all platforms together – thanks!"

We'll be redirecting discussion here where necessary.

As a reminder, the Pirate Code is more than just guidelines (though the reference really never gets old), but the rules of the community and game that we expect all members to abide by when participating on the forums. Any member who fails to abide by the code may find themselves put in the brig, or removed from the community.

We also have Forum Rules, which we moderate to.

Views
  • well i can see where this thread is going to go.

• I have a question will PC players be able to join a friend who is already in an xbox server

Edit: Seems kinda game breaking if you have a bunch of PC players on xbox servers

• @hammeric said in [Mega Thread] Crossplay announcement in the recent Dev Update video.:

I have a question will PC players be able to join a friend who is already in an xbox server

only with those who have opted in to Crossplay going by the dev update video.

• @enticed-malice said in [Mega Thread] Crossplay announcement in the recent Dev Update video.:

well i can see where this thread is going to go.

Great comment to start it off. I approve of the thread and this will be my last post on it.

Atleast now katt and the others can delete all the newly created reactionary troll threads like our crossplay threads used to get locked for the mega thread.

• @hammeric Joe only mentioned that Console players using a controller would have a choice of separate server if they wish, but crews will still be able to play together using whatever platform or input device on the default server :)

• (Copied from the now locked thread)

As a PC player the optional crossplay worries me because I have a job with unusual working times. Until now I never had any problems to find someone in open crew or to find other players on the sea whatever time I was playing.
    Dividing the playerbase in such way will have a very direct impact on repopulating servers when people leave them and encounter frequencies for off-peak hours so I hope this change will not spam me with server merging just to find one or two persons.

Idea -
    What If the crossplay was a PREFERENCE setting that would heavily PRIORITIZE matchmaking users that have a controller with each other (since apparently they are the majority, it should still satisfy most people) but not be systematic in specific cases such as matchmaking exceeding a certain amount of time, merging people when servers are reaching low population or areas of the globe / off-peak hours when the player amount is just lower.

Obviously none of this would be required if the poeple that were complaining about crossplay were a minority and enough console players would not bother with this option, but I'm just going to guess that if the devs are taking the time to make this change, this option will most likely be used by most...

• @katttruewalker just watched the video update - please don’t ban me Joe

• Thank u Rare for finally giving me an option.

• Players shouldn't have a choice but the matchmaking should attempt to place similar crew complements with others. Mixed Crews by default would go in the PC pool, fine, but if necessary, in underpopulated regions or off-hours, controller only crews could end up in a PC pool or a PC player could end up in a controller only queue.

If optional cross-play is going to have positive impacts on the in-game experience for anyone, then the scheme I suggest would have the same benefits without dividing the playerbase.

The most likely scenario for controller only crews would be controller only opponents, seeing as 85% of the players are Xbox and most likely NOT mixed-crews. However, it would not result in a significantly divided playerbase and it would be invisible to the users.

To solve the psychology issue, that has people feeling hopeless when they get dunked on, I suggest we add an indicator that will tell you what controller a person is using. The most significant issue for most new players, in my opinion, is not PC players on a keyboard; it's that they have a scapegoat instead of focusing on their own skill.

Optional cross-play solves this part of the issue. No longer will they have a scapegoat, but at such a cost.

• @hoosyl said in [Mega Thread] Crossplay announcement in the recent Dev Update video.:

Thanks for splitting the player base Rare.

Adventure Mode: Separate Xbox / PC Players
    Arena Mode: Separate Xbox / PC Players

This means 4 different type of players / groups.
    How big is your player base? Can I see some numbers and percentages?
    It's time to stop hiding the player count if you want me to buy this change.

Well i guess my 1st post was a lie, but the servers are low population and players arent locked into them, they will likely play all of them at different times

• As in the original thread, I fully support this change as an Xbox player with a crew of Xbox players that have been asking for this since launch in March 2018.

It might be selfish but this is only a good and positive thing for most Xbox players, it changes little for PC players or those crews of Mixed platforms. It is a clean and simply idea, Xbox players can opt to only play with Xbox Players and PC players still get best of both from those Xbox players who still choose to opt in.

Happy happy Charmer.

• It's a terrible idea and sets a bad precedence for Rare. Having a controller is not some sort of huge disadvantage, and you will make PC players have longer Queue times. There are times where having an analog stick actually makes thing easier but you don't see PC payers crying over that.

• I wonder if the console only servers will be more aggressive since everyone in a party won't be able to hear game chat. Or if more people will use game chat when approaching other ships.

• Honestly begging for a choice for crossplay. Everytime I go on SOT I get mercilessly killed by PC players who have a ridiculous advantage. I can't even play the game anymore without encountering Streamers who swipe chests.

• On behalf of all controller players I thank you Rare for doing the right thing for your players! This will make the game so much more fun and fair for many many players. Thank you so much!

We that knew this was not fair have had a hard time here on the forum by a smal but loud group of players that have been hard at work trying to convince anyone that there is no disadvantage and you just need play better. Now PC players running the game at 144Hz 1ms displays with super fast movement and precision can play against players with the same advantages.

And compete at the same level as far as hardware limitation goes.

Same with weapons. Myself and others have pointed out again and again that they are used wrong. And that sword play is not something most do as it's more Call of Duty jumping around. And where again PC players is at a gigantic advantage.

But now that is also being addressed. Which just makes this so more satisfying to write.

I TOLD YOU SO! Nay.... WE TOLD YOU SO!

Thanks for listening and monitoring the situation and doing the RIGHT thing Rare.

That said... I hope you look at the possibility for input device matchmaking. Allot of PC players (myself included) like to play with a controller. It would be great if those who do still get the chance to play against other controller players on Xbox.

Again. Thank you!

• I dont agree with dividing the playerbase. Why would a console player opt in to crossplay if its considered the "harder" option.

• only worry is dividing the player base but honestly I cant think of anything a PC player should complain about other than that. Most pc complaints jsut trash xbox players as not being good which tells you something.

• Looking for Groups on Xbox (App)

If the option to opt out of cross-play is to be a thing, can we please also split the XBox "Looking for Group" space?

After all, we do not see posts from people looking for Fortnite buddies in the Sea of Thieves LFGs. It is going to be very annoying to respond to a post from a crew that seems to be doing exactly what you are looking for, only to find they are already on a server that you either cannot - or want not to - play on.

• Now that I think about this change, PC players also profit from making crossplay optional: The number of kids telling me something about my mother, my sexuality or color of skin will fall tremendously. I think I can live with that.

• @targasbr oh hey your the guy that posted “stop begging for unnecessary game changes”. This is why I give back important feedback. It was necessary.

• Ahoy maties!

Just a reminder to all, this is a place for discussion and feedback on the optional cross play announced in today's video.

All other posts not related to this topic or personal arguments will be removed/moderated.

• I'm very curious how optional crossplay will turn out. I hope this won't mean that the majority will play on their own platform exclusively. I for one do like the cross play very much. Especially now that there is a combat fix update coming and keyboard and mouse support.

• @hoosyl said in [Mega Thread] Crossplay announcement in the recent Dev Update video.:

Thanks for splitting the player base Rare.

Adventure Mode: Separate Xbox / PC Players
    Arena Mode: Separate Xbox / PC Players

This means 4 different type of players / groups.
    How big is your player base? Can I see some numbers and percentages?
    It's time to stop hiding the player count if you want me to buy this change.

This was my biggest issue. It's also the reason I was devastated when they announced Arena (even though I will enjoy it and play it a ton, I just don't think it's a healthy idea for the game).

I'll say the same thing I did last time: "Hopefully I'm wrong."

(but let's be real, I'm never wrong and my opinion is law because I'm infallible) ;) JK xD

• On a side note, this is the first time Rare ever did anything that made me disappointed in them. I guess it was bound to happen sooner or later, I just wish it hadn't happen on something I have been really looking forward too.

I feel for the PC players who are going to lose Xbox friends because they don't want to do Arena in crossplay mode

• @musicmee said in [Mega Thread] Crossplay announcement in the recent Dev Update video.:

Ahoy maties!

Just a reminder to all, this is a place for discussion and feedback on the optional cross play announced in today's video.

All other posts not related to this topic or personal arguments will be removed/moderated.

my input on this thread: complaining works, as we plainly see. xbox users will now be plagued with xim users. this should have been a last resort option.

@Musicmee you and the rest of the mod staff will be very busy in this thread. GL

• @d3monwo1fx disse em [Mega Thread] Crossplay announcement in the recent Dev Update video.:

@targasbr oh hey your the guy that posted “stop begging for unnecessary game changes”. This is why I give back important feedback. It was necessary.

@d3monwo1fx I'm glad you know me, but I have no idea who you are. In the end nothing is going to change, the playerbase always has something to cry for. What's next?

• @captain-nicklas

Xbox players will still be able to play with PC players, Rare are just adding a choice for those who prefer to play with other console/controller pirates only.

• Options are always a good thing!, I can't wait to jump back into this game.

• @snowfire said in [Mega Thread] Crossplay announcement in the recent Dev Update video.:

Options are always a good thing!, I can't wait to jump back into this game.

No they're not.

• @katttruewalker Yeah I know but I hope the majority will still choose for cross play.

• @binaryplayerone

That said... I hope you look at the possibility for input device matchmaking. Allot of PC players (myself included) like to play with a controller. It would be great if those who do still get the chance to play against other controller players on Xbox.

you do realise that would negate the whole "PC advantages Vs Console" hardware limitations if sall a PC player has to do is plug in a controller and boom, back in with Xbox players who opted out of playing against PC players?

BTW I was also in the vocal minority calling for this to happen, and yes, the last year on the forums being mocked, shouted at or having threads and comments locked or deleted, today I feel very much vindicated :)

• Mateys, this is so disappointing! Now you won't be able to join an Xbox friendo who is turning in some loot and has room for you, or needs you to help them out of a situation because you'll be met by a board error message telling you that its an Xbox exclusive server they're on.

Now when we bring xboxing crewmates with us, it will feel like we actually are handicapping ourselves because the likelihood of encountering mixed crews is next to zero going forward - the xboxer will always be going up against non-xboxers.

Now we will be seeing PC players becoming much more elitist and only recruiting and inviting in other PC / Mouse and Keyboard players, rejecting xboxers or some new player or kid when they ask if they can join in.

There's going to be a lot more stigma, there's going to be far fewer interesting situations on PC and there's going to be a lot more empty servers than previously as well.

I am super disappointed in this decision by Rare, I've felt that they've been meek about a lot of aspects of this game, (Nerfing the Megalodon, nerfing the Devil's Roar, nerfing the Kraken) and given in to pushback, only to later hint or admit that they might've over-done it, but Crossplay was the one, single thing they were adamant about maintaining, about keeping people together. The game is designed from the ground up, balanced around controllers and the PC version nerfed to be more in line with what Xbox One players can see and do, repeatedly stating that the difference is small, ever tweaked and the two platforms will stay together as one single community. That was the vision, the philosophy and the promised future. They've betrayed that now. It's a whole can of worms that when opened up, you won't be able to close again.

Had crossplay been disabled for only the Arena, strictly for competitive reasons, I might've been able to more easily accept it, but as it is now, by disabling it in Adventure mode as well - not only are they splitting the player base into two with Arena/Adventure mode, but also splitting the community additionally by having Exclusive Xbox and PC with optional Xbox.

We used to share a playground, now a line has been drawn in the sand and every excuse for platform/console wars-esque hatred to bloom and fester is there, with one of the sides being able to step out and play in their own.

I am distraught, and currently cynically inclined to the future, despite the year initially having started out looking more promising than ever!

I really think this is a mistake and it's going to have a larger negative impact than people currently anticipate.

EDIT: There are already Xbox-owners contemplating about quitting the game, now that they'll be playing almost exclusively against PC players if they want to play with their friends. The future heralds more unfairness, rather than equality.
    EDIT 2: Check out @Erinom3 's post in the upper half of the 14th page.

alt text

Gloombeard, Captain of The Wailing Banshee and leader of a cross-platform/crossplay community.

Views
17 out of 3601