Sail Shape customisation MUST HAVE

• Anyone else think that we need to be able to customise our sails differently. By this I mean to customise the shape of the sail as well. Obviously a shape like the DA sails would be expensive but I feel like every time I log on I have to use the DA sails as they make sailing so much more comfortable. I feel like this should come with the captaincy update but it’s a little late now ☹️

Views
    questioncommunityfeedbackgeneral
  • Obviously a shape like the DA sails would be expensive but I feel like every time I log on I have to use the DA sails as they make sailing so much more comfortable.

Seems to be a problem. Sailing shouldnt be comfortable. It should be simple but a challenge to keep you active while you cross the open waters.
    and Fun fact: You don't have to use them if you dont wanna. Just raise the sail a little, curl it, and you have the same effect.

• @burnbacon but then your slower. The v cut sail creates a considerable advantage especially on a brig.

• @creaky8267 sagte in Sail Shape customisation MUST HAVE:

The v cut sail creates a considerable advantage […]

No it doesn’t, no matter how many Threads people may open.

Does it give an advantage? Maybe yes. A very small one if any at all.

Naval PvP in Sea of Thieves is very complex and having a small advantage regarding the view might be nice but it’s certainly not decisive at all. There’s so much more which is impactful (for example waves, wind, aiming skills, having a good helmsman, …). The V-cut won’t make a bad crew win nor will any other customisation make a good crew fail. You can see a little bit better. That’s all.

Don’t get me wrong. I‘m not against customising sails. In my opinion it’s just not that big of a game changer which we MUST HAVE.

• Learn to sail better

• @creaky8267

If you want to mix max to that degree, then that means your options are limited be it clothing, weapons, cannons, flare effect, sails and hull. Your feeling to need it is purely your choice and not actually a necessity, while I like the sails I do vary what I sail with... because it just isn't that big of a deal.

• Curling your sails to match the DA’s cut gives negligible speed decreases. I main helm and hardly ever use those sails because I don’t need them. I sail just as fine with blocky sails as I do with ripped ones.

Doesn’t help that I personally dislike the way the DA sails look. I’d much rather have some other interesting looking sail.

Same goes for the cannons really. I’ve tested almost every cannon model in this game and most of them shoot pretty straight. At that point it’s not that the default cannons are “better”, it’s that more people are just used to shooting them.

• @burnbacon yea sure... if youre solo curl them up a bit. Unfortunately you have a game full of clowns who think that little curl will decrease your speed by 70% so their OCD has them constantly lowering them all the way. Yet do they want to be the ones at the helm? No... Will they even raise the sails when its time to stop? No... You have to do that all on your own. But if you curl up the sails a tiny bit so you can see oh now they will actually work the sails to lower them and block your vision.

I agree sail shape should be customizable. Problem is then choosing if the design of the sails would just get squished or just cut off by your sail choice.

Before the Dark Adventurer sails I exclusively used the kraken sails because they are a tad shorter and the tear gives you a bit more visibility. But now its exclusively DA sails

• I have linked 4 pictures comparing DA and default fully dropped and both curled to the same height on a brigantine from the same angle at the wheel. You can decide for your self weather DA's advantage is worth using all the time or not, but I personally believe that DA gives a worth while advantage and QoL when sailing. I would also like to add, would adding a sail shape customization hurt the game? It may not be a "MUST HAVE" as stated in the title, but it would only improve upon the customizability of ships to how the individual likes.

Pictures of Sails from the wheel

• @magus104 said:

yea sure... if youre solo curl them up a bit. Unfortunately you have a game full of clowns who think that little curl will decrease your speed by 70% so their OCD has them constantly lowering them all the way. Yet do they want to be the ones at the helm? No... Will they even raise the sails when its time to stop? No... You have to do that all on your own. But if you curl up the sails a tiny bit so you can see oh now they will actually work the sails to lower them and block your vision.

You're wrong, I think. It does decrease your speed, but it's not 70% (an over-exaggeration on your part). A lot of pirates assume the sails work in increments, when for all we know, it could be reduced in much smaller, less visible amounts. For example, rather than speed being something like 0%, 25%, 50% etc., it could be calculated out to 30, 31, 32, etc. or something like that, with constant change - most of which that won't be easily seen by the naked eye, if at all due to its minimal change visually.

In any case, since when has choosing to communicate with your crew or checking for yourself ever been a bad thing? Once DA sails came out, it's like pirates on social media became allergic to doing those things.

DA sails are over-rated - yes they have an advantage, but it's practically negligible. Most of the time, if you're a seasoned sailor in any sense of the word, you're going to be paying attention whether you can see the horizon in front or not. It only really applies with forward sails, where it's mostly moot. Most of the time, the sails will catch wind in other directions - especially on the brig, where you're going to want them catching the crosswind. It doesn't apply to combat, like many seem to think, because your cannons are not at the front of your ship, and your sails are likely going to be raised already to slow the ship down for more accurate shots. Again, moot advantage. It really only helps novice or oblivious pirates from crashing, and the latter is likely to happen anyways, with the former unable to afford them.

Those who use DA sails solely for the advantage are Lazybeardeards, IMO, and are simply looking to squeeze out any and every advantage they can find instead of socializing with their crew (which was kind of the point of a this Sea being a shared, open-world sandbox). They act like this is am esport kind of game - it's not. Sorry, but it's true.

Rare is more likely to change them to better match every other sail rather than change every other sail upon the Sea.

As for the clowns you mentioned? Yeah, you're wrong there too. I am 1st and foremost a wheelman, and I may complain about Lazybeard crewmates not willing to communicate with me (their weakness; not mine), but I frequently leave the wheel all of the time to to help adjust the sails when needed, which is most of the time, because a surprising amount of pirates are Lazybeards or Ignorantbeards.

• @galactic-geek i think magus' point was that other people (he refers to clowns on the sea) over-exaggerate that a curled sail causes speed to drop to 70% matey. It wasn't their direct point.

• @magus104 a dit dans Sail Shape customisation MUST HAVE :

@burnbacon yea sure... if youre solo curl them up a bit. Unfortunately you have a game full of clowns who think that little curl will decrease your speed by 70% so their OCD has them constantly lowering them all the way. Yet do they want to be the ones at the helm? No... Will they even raise the sails when its time to stop? No... You have to do that all on your own. But if you curl up the sails a tiny bit so you can see oh now they will actually work the sails to lower them and block your vision.

I agree sail shape should be customizable. Problem is then choosing if the design of the sails would just get squished or just cut off by your sail choice.

Before the Dark Adventurer sails I exclusively used the kraken sails because they are a tad shorter and the tear gives you a bit more visibility. But now its exclusively DA sails

ppl seem to love commandeering the helm while i raise the fore sail when approaching an outpost though. if not that, they insist on trying to helm from the harpoon. its so annoying i rarely even try to helm on an open crew.

• Maybe more unique sail shapes in the Shipwright Shop/Emporium, but being able to change every sail shape is a bit much.

Views
questioncommunityfeedbackgeneral
2 out of 13