The Captaincy Update Appreciation Thread

• Hi Everyone,

I've seen a lot of negative feedback about the 100+ hour grinds for the new cosmetics, but honestly, they are not so bad.

These are the most common positives I've read on the forums:

• Players need long term goals to feel motivated in the game.
    • This is an end-game activity. If you are not there yet, there are still so much more other cosmetics to be unlocked.
    • Most people who already have hundreds of hours in Sea of Thieves will get some of these unlocked eventually.
    • Nobody is forcing you to grind these cosmetics, because they are just that: cosmetic.
    • This update didn't just bring new unlockable milestones, but a whole host of other features too. We should focus on those instead.
    • You can play the game as usual and have fun the same way you always have. No need to get mad about something you are yet to achieve.
    • When you see a framed vomit on the wall, you will know, that someone had glamorous adventures unlocking it. It is an achievement you should be proud of, not just a checkbox to tick.

In all honesty, I just had to make this post collecting all the positives on the recent update. Cunningham's Law wouldn't be complete without it.

What else can we appreciate about captaincy?
    Please share your thoughts below.

โพสต์
    การดู
    communityjust for funfeedback
  • I have my gripes with some of the update sure, and i lean more towards agreeing with some of the milestones being too much, but it's just the way it is! Personally though, i've been taking a break from Sea of Thieves since about June, waiting for Captaincy, so now it's out it has given me motivation to play! It's nice actually owning the ship and having it as my own, and i thought i'd dislike the permanent damage, but it has been very nice knowing that it's the same ship each session now. It's added a lot of immersion for me! I really really enjoy looking at other people's ship names too, from a distance.

• @silentkiller646 said in The Captaincy Update Appreciation Thread:

I thought i'd dislike the permanent damage, but it has been very nice knowing that it's the same ship each session now.

That's a good point actually.
    Honestly, repairing the ships only costs as much as a few mermaid gems, so I'm totally on board with that.

• @zedny3434 Exactly! If it gets really, really bad, and i want my ship pristine again, i'm sure by that point i'll have enough backlog money made from my adventures that a 3,000 gold repair won't need a second thought. I'm going to adopt my own little system where after a fair few sessions and good adventures, and i feel like restoring it, i'll give the ship the traditional viking burial, then repair it before i start my next session!

• @zedny3434 The content on this update is great .... another 10/10. The execution of the milestones is a -100/10. Rare took a game that was dependent on the crew and the crew was all equal to a single player game. The milestones will only matter to those that want those cosmetics and only the "Captain" can earn them during the session. everyone else in the crew is flat out ignored. We had a few things that were tied to only the player but not an entire session grind. In my opinion this is the worst update ever.

• Positives for me...

1. I can name my ship
    2. I can save my cosmetics

and...tha's about it. I was really excited to decorate, except it turns out if i want that framed picture of a shark on my wall i have to kill 450 of them for the lowest tier trophy.

you might say the grind 'is not so bad' but i still feel like the lowest tier trophies should be a lot more affordable than they are. 600 minutes on fire for a little dragon, or 600 minutes in a storm for a picture, for the absolute lowest quality trophy? Not fine in my book

• @inboundbomb said in The Captaincy Update Appreciation Thread:

@zedny3434 The content on this update is great .... another 10/10. The execution of the milestones is a -100/10. Rare took a game that was dependent on the crew and the crew was all equal to a single player game. The milestones will only matter to those that want those cosmetics and only the "Captain" can earn them during the session. everyone else in the crew is flat out ignored. We had a few things that were tied to only the player but not an entire session grind. In my opinion this is the worst update ever.

I think a bit of clarity is needed here. From what I understand, all players on a captained ship gain pirate milestones which award flags, titles and eventually trinkets. Any trinket earned can be applied to any ship the player is a captain of.

The only cosmetics that crew members cannot earn are the ship decorations (so the rug, drapes, curtains, chandelier, captains table, captains chair, logbook, ship title, nameplate and banner). So there is still motivation for players to play on captained ships where they are not the captain as they can still unlock titles, flags and trinkets for their own ships.

tl;dr the ownership of the cosmetics dictates how they are unlocked. Ship decorations are unlocked by ship milestones and belong to the ship, whereas trinkets are unlocked by pirate milestones and belong to the pirate.

• @gundy-the-shark said in The Captaincy Update Appreciation Thread:

@inboundbomb said in The Captaincy Update Appreciation Thread:

@zedny3434 The content on this update is great .... another 10/10. The execution of the milestones is a -100/10. Rare took a game that was dependent on the crew and the crew was all equal to a single player game. The milestones will only matter to those that want those cosmetics and only the "Captain" can earn them during the session. everyone else in the crew is flat out ignored. We had a few things that were tied to only the player but not an entire session grind. In my opinion this is the worst update ever.

I think a bit of clarity is needed here. From what I understand, all players on a captained ship gain pirate milestones which award flags, titles and eventually trinkets. Any trinket earned can be applied to any ship the player is a captain of.

The only cosmetics that crew members cannot earn are the ship decorations (so the rug, drapes, curtains, chandelier, captains table, captains chair, logbook, ship title, nameplate and banner). So there is still motivation for players to play on captained ships where they are not the captain as they can still unlock titles, flags and trinkets for their own ships.

Again it pushes away the part of the ship part of the crew mentality. Those are the personal milestones not the captain ones. Again it means I will now sail alone on my ship to earn those items. Why spend a session on someone's ship when you can't earn it all. That's just as bad as only the player getting the final hit on the Shrouded ghost gets the title and not the crew. It's the same thing.

• When part of your positives are telling others how to feel about things that have long been a part of the foundation of the game that isn't positive support of the design it's an attempt at damage control.

Nobody is forcing you to grind these cosmetics, because they are just that: cosmetic.

No need to get mad about something you are yet to achieve

easily the worst form of support that people commonly bring up for unpopular things

This is a game that needs activity, it needs emotional investment, it needs desire to chase and grind.

This game does not have strong organic activity, it's why people spend their entire day hopping for things, for a thriving organic environment people need to care, need to feel positive about the design of accomplishment, need to feel like something matters, telling them how to feel and downplaying the significance of the content only leads to less interest in the content that very much needs interest for it to succeed.

and the naming looks awesome
    seeing other ships and their captains pop up on a banner is awesome
    there are plenty of visually appealing things about captaincy

• The biggest grind are the top tier trophy trinkets, and I don't think it's a bad thing at all. To get the top trinket in a category, you have to hit class 100 in a milestone.......but you still get versions of them at classes 10, 20, and 50 I believe, which are much easier to obtain.

And I also think it was a smart move to make milestones tied to current gameplay like forts, skellie ships, etc. It gives players a reason to re-engage with those activities again, which makes for a more diverse ecosystem in the game. More pirates with more loot also equals more PvP opportunities.

• Apart from the few super obnoxious bugs I've encountered, I am loving the update.

• @jynn-n-tonic 100%. Naming my vessel and saving customisations are great editions. Most of everything else is nice/okay.

Of course for me the update is completed marred by milestones. But to quote Jose Mourinho, the infamous football manager on my feelings about the milestones "I prefer not to speak. If I speak I am in trouble".

โพสต์
การดู
communityjust for funfeedback
11 จาก 12