[MEGA THREAD] Update 2.0.11 - Adventure Cross Play Opt Out Discussion & Feedback

• Greetings, pirates!

Our latest update, Legends of the Sea, also brought in the long-awaited Adventure Crossplay Opt Out feature. As this has been such a hot topic across the community, we wanted to dedicate a thread for further, focused discussion and feedback on the feature now that it's available.

The latest release notes can be found here: https://www.seaofthieves.com/release-notes/2.0.11

This topic has been set up to provide feedback on the newly added Adventure Crossplay Opt Out feature.

As you participate in this thread -

Keep to the Pirate Code

As a reminder, the Pirate Code is more than just guidelines (though the reference really never gets old), but the rules of the community and game that we expect all members to abide by when participating on the forums. Any member who fails to abide by the code may find themselves put in the brig, or removed from the community.

We also have Forum Rules, which we moderate to.

This thread is for feature discussion and feedback only. If you're looking for help with anything then head over to the Gameplay Guides + Tips category linked below.

Are you in need of any help? Then look no further!

โพสต์
    การดู
  • @takuboto said in [MEGA THREAD] Update 2.0.11 - Adventure Cross Play Opt Out Discussion & Feedback:

Greetings, pirates!

Our latest update, Legends of the Sea, also brought in the long-awaited Adventure Crossplay Opt Out feature. As this has been such a hot topic across the community, we wanted to dedicate a thread for further, focused discussion and feedback on the feature now that it's available.

The latest release notes can be found here: https://www.seaofthieves.com/release-notes/2.0.11

This topic has been set up to provide feedback on the newly added Adventure Crossplay Opt Out feature.

As you participate in this thread -

Keep to the Pirate Code

As a reminder, the Pirate Code is more than just guidelines (though the reference really never gets old), but the rules of the community and game that we expect all members to abide by when participating on the forums. Any member who fails to abide by the code may find themselves put in the brig, or removed from the community.

We also have Forum Rules, which we moderate to.

This thread is for feature discussion and feedback only. If you're looking for help with anything then head over to the Gameplay Guides + Tips category linked below.

Are you in need of any help? Then look no further!

did the other one get locked?

• @closinghare208 The other Legends of the Sea feedback thread is still available to use, although I've set this up just in case folks want to discuss cross play at length in a more focused thread.

• @takuboto

Just gonna go ahead and bring out this little guy, if this Mega Thread is anything like the Opt-Out Announcement Mega Thread...

alt text

• @takuboto said in [MEGA THREAD] Update 2.0.11 - Adventure Cross Play Opt Out Discussion & Feedback:

@closinghare208 The other Legends of the Sea feedback thread is still available to use, although I've set this up just in case folks want to discuss cross play at length in a more focused thread.

ok thanks mate

• @TakuBoto I have said this before and will say it here in the mega thread.

Opt out is Rare opting to punt rather than fix a problem. Rare should have found better ways to mitigate the advantages that PC has over Xbox including advantages one type of input device has over others. Rather than doing that, they give us Opt out.

To be perfectly clear, I play on both platforms. My preference is Xbox with controller. I am a fan of cross play. I want it to succeed. But rather than fixing the disparages, Rare gives us Opt Out as an option. And then, they only make it opt out for a very select group of people. Those on Xbox with controller. They completely ignore PC players that prefer to use a controller. Why is that?

Rare should have done things to smooth the edges between the platforms and input devices.

Input device fixes that could have been implimented...

• Set speed limitations across all platforms and input devices. The max should be so that no one platform or device has any advantage.
    • Give controllers an aim assist so that accuracy is more balanced.
    • Set max Frames the same across all platforms.
    • Change spawning after return from the ferry to limit spawn killing or giving anyone an advantage over another.

There are more, but above are the biggest complaints about the disparages and could have been simple to fix. Rather than doing that, here we are, giving an opt out. Rare and Microsoft were so hard core in making cross play to work in SoT, but they buckled under pressure and rather than come up with real fixes, they come out with a very lame answer.

• @nofears-fun the option to cross play was the best option in my opinion.
    Also wasnt the pc sensitivity capped on the m/k when it first come out?, I could be wrong.

• @takuboto since my feedback thread was locked due to this mega thread being made, therefore I am providing my feedback here again regarding the opt out for controllers should be given to all pirates and not be based on the classification of the machine. Game balance options should not be limited to a platform, but offered to all pirates equally.

Let me be clear on what I am talking about here is the denial of an opt out option for people that enjoy playing with a controller just by the fact that they run the game on a different machine, that runs different software. We are talking about removing the xbox only tag from the controller servers. Please try to keep replies to factual information. That we have hackers, cheaters and toxic people in the community does not warrant a players preference or real life restrictons to limit the options the game should offer in the social interactive world known as the Sea of Thieves, Adventure mode. Bear in mind, some people cannot have or afford a machine dedicated to gaming, but do need a PC or Laptop for other aspects of life like school, college or work and have to use that for gaming.

Rare has decided that in the controller versus mouse and keyboard in regards to balanced combat warrants the opt out option. This is what they stated when they first introduced it into the Arena mode and is the reason they are adding it to Adventure no doubt. Arena is a competitive mode and has to work towards being able to host tournaments. It is all about winning, so trying to even out every small aspect where possible is logical; keep it as purely possible based around player skill as possible. A xbox tag here is maybe to be explained in this type of competitive setting, they want to create a potential for an e-sport and maybe because of the tag larger on xbox than PC, in which more variety will always be a reality.

Now the major question is why must this competitive attitude carry over to the Adventure mode. The seas that is meant to unite the community and have us interact, the social world! Where the signatures song of Legends is about we shall sail together! Now we have the opt out in this social interactive world, where meeting and playing with other people is central - it is not a competitive scene, even though some might approach it that way.

My suggestion is to change the opt-out option to just be controller in the future. Have Rare stand by their No Compromise Crossplay design and have them place it on the roadmap. The development is going to take time, just acknowledge that a persons preference to play with a controller even on a PC does not warrant the design choice difference in treatment between the two platforms, especially when it is in regards to one of the major game-play centric experiences combat.

My preference would have been not to have the opt-out at all, but to have Rare balance it out enough between input devices and I do hope they keep working towards that goal. If it really has to be in the game at this point in time, I do not think it is unreasonable to ask to not be classified by the machine we run the game on and then just denied the choice for a more balanced gameplay, the same choice that is being given to other people based on a different machine they bought. The question was always going to be: Why isn't this on PC or Xbox? according to their own interviews. What changed or why isn't it an issue between controller and mouse and keyboard on a PC if it is on a xbox? Some clarity at a minimum would be nice at this point in the community, there is a whole PC vs Xbox discussion going on, while lets be obvious about it: we are people not xbox or PC and yet people are flat out refusing to play with them based on a machine. At which point will Rare try to address the elephant in the room, their no compromise crossplay is no more. Is it still the goal to have a single community without VIP sections for Xbox or PC?

I know this is going to be brought up so, lets address it now hardware differences were always going to be a reality, that is just how the world works. Games have minimum requirements and that is what can play the game. It is the level of entry: Welcome you can join us!

Xboxes are stable, reliant and a good price to quality. This one is nearing its end, the next one is coming out because of it. That is how fast technology moves. The average PC player might be above xbox now in performance by a slight margin, there are people below and above both. Once the Scarlett hits the market, all of a sudden the average PC player isn't on par anymore with the latest xbox. Over time, because PC's are modular and you upgrade them bit by bit, based on what you can afford. The average PC will meet the xbox and surpass it by a little. Guess what the next version of the xbox comes out! Repeat. This has been going on for as long as consoles have been around, that has always been the case. If you want more in-game graphical options, performance aspects that you believe you are missing on xbox, please make a suggestion about what you want and you will have my support. The goal is still to balance the two sides and provide the best experience to everyone, not just some.

Adventure mode should be about anyone that hits the bar of entry is welcome to be the pirate they want to be. No restrictions, all pirates are equal!

For those wondering if this would be even possible; call of duty, a competitive first person shooter, is providing all the platforms with the ability to play on controller only servers and have embraced crossplay.

• On PC with a controller, I am quite disappointed that we weren't really considered. From what I gather, there are a small but not insignificant number of us.

On the plus side, opt-out hasn't impacted matchmaking or pings as much as I feared it would, but it is very early days and I figure not a lot of players have enabled the option yet.

@nofears-fun said in [MEGA THREAD] Update 2.0.11 - Adventure Cross Play Opt Out Discussion & Feedback:

• Set speed limitations across all platforms and input devices. The max should be so that no one platform or device has any advantage.

I'm at max on my controller and I could do with more sensitivity, I get that not everyone likes faster controller speeds but, as someone who does, I find it a little bit too slow for me (and I'd rather not adjust the curves).

As long as it's an option, sure, I've always turned it off.

I don't think forcing PC to play at 30fps would be the answer but they should be working on a performance patch for Xbox One X at least. We're going to have Series X in the mix by the end of the year and that's almost certainly going to be able to run the game at 60fps+.

Not to mention a lot of people on PC have sub-par specs (playing on laptops, for example) and they don't even run the game half as well as an Xbox One X.

• Change spawning after return from the ferry to limit spawn killing or giving anyone an advantage over another.

Well, spawn killing is something that should have been addressed by now. A very short window of spawn protection should be in the game.

There are more, but above are the biggest complaints about the disparages and could have been simple to fix. Rather than doing that, here we are, giving an opt out. Rare and Microsoft were so hard core in making cross play to work in SoT, but they buckled under pressure and rather than come up with real fixes, they come out with a very lame answer.

I'm not 100% agreeing with how you phrase it but I will concur that the focus was misjudged.

• @takuboto I just wanted to take a minute to thank rare for cross play opt out. Anyone who claims PC does not have an advantage is not watching the same streams I am. For example I went to reapers yesterday to turn in a new chest and got ambushed by 2 players on the island, there first shots missed. I was able to kill one and the second pirate killed me, however it seemed much more doable than anything I experience vs PC. I mean I lost 25000 gold an i'm not even mad!!!

• @nofears-fun a dit dans [MEGA THREAD] Update 2.0.11 - Adventure Cross Play Opt Out Discussion & Feedback :

@TakuBoto I have said this before and will say it here in the mega thread.

Opt out is Rare opting to punt rather than fix a problem. Rare should have found better ways to mitigate the advantages that PC has over Xbox including advantages one type of input device has over others. Rather than doing that, they give us Opt out.

To be perfectly clear, I play on both platforms. My preference is Xbox with controller. I am a fan of cross play. I want it to succeed. But rather than fixing the disparages, Rare gives us Opt Out as an option. And then, they only make it opt out for a very select group of people. Those on Xbox with controller. They completely ignore PC players that prefer to use a controller. Why is that?

Rare should have done things to smooth the edges between the platforms and input devices.

Rare won a lot of battles against technical issues but they clearly lost this one, with no contest....Really hope they've not lost the war or given up....

• @snowfire said in [MEGA THREAD] Update 2.0.11 - Adventure Cross Play Opt Out Discussion & Feedback:

@nofears-fun the option to cross play was the best option in my opinion.
    Also wasnt the pc sensitivity capped on the m/k when it first come out?, I could be wrong.

I believe you are correct, but the cap is set higher than what is possible with sensitivity on controller, at least as far as I can tell anyways. And while you can spin faster now on controller than you could a couple of years ago thanks to Rare's first attempt to address this issue, which was to increase the sensitivity range on controller, the mouse was still more accurate while keeping its speed. You can surely spin very fast with a controller now, but the accuracy is still an issue.

• [mod edit].

• @rotax99 said in [MEGA THREAD] Update 2.0.11 - Adventure Cross Play Opt Out Discussion & Feedback:

First Arena mode was killed, now Adventure mode is next. Everybody working at Rare are all idiots if they think this is a good move.

Always caving into the crying Xbox players, changing their own game at the core, "Cross Play PC and Xbox Pirate Adventure"

Might as well call it what it really is:

"Bad Xbox players get their way, Rare Caves in hopes of more profit"

Pretty sad they keep doing this , even with the multiple posts of experienced players telling them not too.
    Every account crying about cross play opt out was new Xbox player or a casual player who might be PL, but has horrible PvP skills, not even willing to put in the time to get better.

Tell us how you really feel.

• Finally there is a bloody megathread about it, took you some time Rare.
    Im glad not to see it in the forum anymore.... until same crybabies would chant for PvE servers because they cant deal with anything.

• As stated by many players in my other thread my mind is blown by the difference. I just mourn all the time lost and wasted annoying game sessions in the past 2 years because of dishonest players and advantage!

• @realstyli Yeah, I have the x myself, with an ssd. So I don't have the same issues other console peeps have with reloading. But I do have a problem with the frames. I still get max 30FPS. And considering the x should be able to handle 60, that is disheartening. When I played on my older PC (not a gaming pc and over 3 years old) I had a noticeably different experience playing the game. Not only were my movements slightly faster and smoother, but the added frames I got allowed me to see combat play out much better than I could on console. Which made a huge difference in how I countered other pirates on the seas.

And yes, I will be pre-ordering the new consoles as soon as that becomes an option. But, as I stated before, the X I have now should be able to do more, but Rare has it locked. What is to say they unlock that setting?

And again, this was only one of the difference between the two platforms. But my point was more I believe Rare and Microsoft could have done more to make Cross Play more viable, not only for SoT but hopefully setting the standard for other games as well.

• @rotax99 Putting in the time to "get better" does not save you vs 2 player sloops using aimbots, I was seriously considering leaving the game. I am so glad it was addressed.

• Very very happy with this update. It’s addressed the imbalances between pc and Xbox users. Not only the KBM/Controller aim imbalance, but the faster loading times and keybinding advantages that of players also have.

Had a great time sailing last night, didn’t sink, no fear about random crews spawn killing you and being completely untouchable. About time. Any game with PVP should not feature console/pc cross play.

But, if you want to, at least the option to cross play is still there. So far all I’ve seen is praise from Xbox users.

Well done Rare, you’re keeping the Seas alive and balanced!

• @takuboto

I'm just going to give my two cents on the dead-server comments I keep seeing.

As much as I don't agree with the addition of Crossplay opt-out, I have to say that I really don't believe we're going to experience dead servers as a result.

I said this in another thread but I'll say it here too.

Opt-out is not a big "in-your-face" option from the main menu. It is tucked away in the UI so as to encourage most players to go for full crossplay but allow the option for those who want it.

Remember that what you see on the forums and Reddit is just the tip of the ice berg. Realistically speaking, I'm betting that the majority of the player base find the difference of PC and console negligible for Sea of Thieves, do not care about crossplay, or simply won't know about or seek the option to opt out.

It also is not a hard divide. If the matchmaking cant find Console/Controller players, it isn't going to put them in a server by themselves, they will be tossed into a full crossplay pool.

Dead servers has always depended on the time you play and where you're located. Servers are always dead for me when I play on weeknights.

I live on East Coast U.S., and if I play on a week night, I usually get on around 9:00PM and it's almost always dead because people are in bed for work the next day or it's a school night for kids who play the game in this timezone.

But when I play on a Friday or Saturday servers are very active. Go figure - us adults are off work, and kids are out of school playing games all weekend.

I don't believe any of this will change moving forward.

Yeah I believe crossplay opt-out was a waste of Rare's time and resources that could have been better spent on making actual content for the game and fixing some bugs, but I just don't think dead servers will be a consequence here. If anything, the opt-out crowd (which is probably the minority) will have a difficult time with successfully getting into servers with Console/Controller players only.

• @action-yojimbo said in [MEGA THREAD] Update 2.0.11 - Adventure Cross Play Opt Out Discussion & Feedback:

@takuboto I just wanted to take a minute to thank rare for cross play opt out. Anyone who claims PC does not have an advantage is not watching the same streams I am. For example I went to reapers yesterday to turn in a new chest and got ambushed by 2 players on the island, there first shots missed. I was able to kill one and the second pirate killed me, however it seemed much more doable than anything I experience vs PC. I mean I lost 25000 gold an i'm not even mad!!!

No you are supposed to complain and say OMG it wasnt pc players all along. Why arnt you fulfilling the narrative!!

• @action-yojimbo

It seemed to save all of us players who defended crossplay, where we figured out how to fight players who have good aim. If it was an aimbot they wouldn't be capable of missing, but they are very much capable - real aimbots are incredibly uncommon.

• @action-yojimbo said in [MEGA THREAD] Update 2.0.11 - Adventure Cross Play Opt Out Discussion & Feedback:

@rotax99 Putting in the time to "get better" does not save you vs 2 player sloops using aimbots, I was seriously considering leaving the game. I am so glad it was addressed.

I know I got so many people back to play because of this. The weekend is going to fun we might go on a mega fort spree.

• Xbox player here.

I played w/ a galley crew w/ the xbox preference. I didn't find the seas to be any busier or emptier than before lol. I experienced the same occasional lag-spikes as I did before.

I'm also pretty sure we ran into some pc players. Either that or some xbox crews we ran into had keyboards plugged in just to chat, which is entirely possible.

Maybe I'll have more to report after more than one day of experience, but as of now, nothing feels too different.

• Im on PC and so far the servers has been kinde of dead. Played 5 hours in toatal since the update and only seen 3 ships, got migrated once aswell but only found 1 other crew on that server. Hopefully i was just unlucky, els the servers is dead for crossplay hope not....

• Wrong move by rare in my opinion, theres better solutions out there.

@RealStyli you bring up some extremely solid points, some of which i am hoping to get official responses on real soon...watch this space.

With regards to it's effects on cross play, my session last night wasnt good, had way too many merges in a 4 hour play session, and only encountered one other player crew the entire night.

Objectively it's early days, but if it proves to be a common occurrance moving foward then i think there is a good chance the current system will change in the future.

• @ultmateragnarok I respect your opinion but PC gaming is broke across the board due to hacking. I used to be an avid PC player but not anyone.

• @usualbarley8154 ah, or chatpads then.

• @rod-runner-67 said in [MEGA THREAD] Update 2.0.11 - Adventure Cross Play Opt Out Discussion & Feedback:

@nofears-fun a dit dans [MEGA THREAD] Update 2.0.11 - Adventure Cross Play Opt Out Discussion & Feedback :

@TakuBoto I have said this before and will say it here in the mega thread.

Rare won a lot of battles against technical issues but they clearly lost this one, with no contest....Really hope they've not lost the war or given up....

Well the game is getting up there in age.

• @troubled-cells said in [MEGA THREAD] Update 2.0.11 - Adventure Cross Play Opt Out Discussion & Feedback:

Wrong move by rare in my opinion, theres better solutions out there.

@RealStyli you bring up some extremely solid points, some of which i am hoping to get official responses on real soon...watch this space.

With regards to it's effects on cross play, my session last night wasnt good, had way too many merges in a 4 hour play session, and only encountered one other player crew the entire night.

Objectively it's early days, but if it proves to be a common occurrance moving foward then i think there is a good chance the current system will change in the future.

There's no way I would go back to forced crossplay, not a chance.

• In my experience so far, I've noticed zero difference playing on PC with controller (so I'm in the full crossplay servers).

Played last night and today and found active servers immediately with other ships around. Had no server merges yet. There's been no difference in terms of PvP action either, mostly sailing around with no PvP happening and have not come across any hackers or cheats or aimbots (Odd considering how wide-spread the PC cheats/hackers/aimbots are claimed to be, you'd think I'd see them all the time now).

I still don't understand why the opt-out wasn't input based though. This would have made much more sense for those on PC who use controller and maybe felt the same as Xbox players. Their opinion/choice has just been disregarded. Surely, given that we are all one community playing the same game, we should all have the same choices?

• Crossplay Opt Out feature

We have to understand something, we are not in 2001, Xbox is no longer just a console, it is an ecosystem shared between console, PC and mobile.

That said, we are ALL Xbox players, then we must all have the same options, this includes the input device (not platform) filter.
    For those who are not aware, in console and PC you can play with controller and M&K, in xCloud I suppose that at some point also.
    This is not only important to make it clear for Sea Of Thives, It is important for every game that comes to the future and is part of the Xbox ecosystem.

Thanks Team.

• Ahoy @usualbarley8154,

As per the Forum Rules we all must remain respectful towards all other community members when posting on the forums. I have moderated your post as it was not in accordance with these rules, failure to remain respectful of all community members will result in a temporary ban from the forums.

Please read and abide by the forum rules going forward.

Thanks!

• @rotax99 Odd to see people attack a corporation for ensuring more profit instead of ignoring the customers and losing money then closing up shop. What the...

Cross-play opt-out rocks! Free markets For The Win! :-D

• Amen, that would be the surest way to see a very large number of xbox players walk away for good.

@usualbarley8154 Understand it, we are all Xbox players, no matter if it is on a console ,on a PC or on a phone. Long live the Xbox ecosystem.

alt text
    🤷🏻‍♂️

โพสต์
การดู
30 จาก 1778