[Mega Thread] Barrel 2.0 - Part 4

• Thank you all for your feedback and suggestions in our previous mega thread, as we have made some new changes to the Barrels in Patch 1.3.0, we're opening a new mega thread to gather your feedback on these changes.

We will continue to monitor feedback, and you can read Design Director Mike Chapman’s further insights into what the future holds for these systems.

@khaleesibot said in Release Notes Discussion - 1.3.0:

Barrel Improvements

After feedback shared with us about the changes made to barrels and inventory management in Patch 1.2.4, we improved the stocking-up speed which will significantly reduce the number of button presses required.

• Barrel Take/Store All - Players can now take and store stacks of resources with a single button press.
    • Barrel Auto-Advance - When removing resources from barrels, if all items in a stack are removed, the next stack with remaining resources will automatically be selected.
    • Resource Capacity - When carrying the maximum number of a specific resource in your inventory, this resource will clearly be marked red in any barrels to indicate that you can't carry any more.
    • UI Close Delay - The short animation of UI closing has been disabled, so players resume control of their pirate immediately. This impacts the closing of all full-screen UI, from shops and barrels to settings and crew menus.

Here's previous discussions on this topic:

As you participate in this thread -

Keep to the Pirate Code
    As a reminder, the Pirate Code is more than just guidelines (though the reference really never gets old), but the rules of the community and game that we expect all members to abide by when participating on the forums. Any member who fails to abide by the code may find themselves put in the brig, or removed from the community.

We also have Forum Rules, which we moderate to.

Views
  • What about the bug that keeps closing the menu when opening the cannonball barrels on a sloop at sea?

• @lt-swag-johnson said in [Mega Thread] Barrel 2.0 - Part 4:

What about the bug that keeps closing the menu when opening the cannonball barrels on a sloop at sea?

If you've experienced a bug and reported it to Support we're aware and working on it!

• Thanks for your reply, @khaleesibot, but this issue was supposedly fixed in a previous update. It is still an issue, though.

• The Take/Store all is a great addition.
    I can't wait to start finding maps in Barrels too!

• Ahoy @khaleesibot!
    Are maps in Barrels find able at outpost barrels?

• @sgt-palooggoo Ahoy matey!

Yes they can be found at outposts :D They can be found in any barrel anywhere - so even places like shipwrecks and outposts.

• A little improvement on the barrels UI (stacks), still annoying to be forced to interact with this menu.

I would rather have :
    Press "F" pick up (whatever resource is first in the UI 2.0).
    Hold "F" inspect barrel (as is now).

What I dislike most is that we used to be able to pick resources up on the fly, and this has been taken away.

• @musicmee said in [Mega Thread] Barrel 2.0 - Part 4:

@sgt-palooggoo Ahoy matey!

Yes they can be found at outposts :D They can be found in any barrel anywhere - so even places like shipwrecks and outposts.

Yes!
    Now I don't even need initial voyages!

• @sgt-palooggoo You should now be able to reach Pirate Legend without ever buying a voyage!

• @ironuzuka said in [Mega Thread] Barrel 2.0 - Part 4:

A little improvement on the barrels UI (stacks), still annoying to be forced to interact with this menu.

I would rather have :
    Press "F" pick up (whatever resource is first in the UI 2.0).
    Hold "F" inspect barrel (as is now).

What I dislike most is that we used to be able to pick resources up on the fly, and this has been taken away.

I thought they made a take all button ? I was hoping you would be able to grab on the fly. What really changed ?

@sgt-palooggoo You should now be able to reach Pirate Legend without ever buying a voyage!

What a great idea, and I'll save some coin too!

• @trickrtreat01 Well now you still need to search inside the barrels (enter/exit the barrel UI.)
    Instead of spamming to grab resources, one click per resource will fill/empty your inventory.
    It's faster than their first version of barrel 2.0.
    Still less convenient than V1.0 (can't grab stuff on the fly) in the sens that we have to stop and enter/exit the UI.
    Grabbing 10cannonballs/5planks/5bananas in a single barrel, might turn to be faster now with a skilled/experienced player (who knows where to click).
    Still I would prefer the option to grab stuff fast (especially bananas).

• @lt-swag-johnson said in [Mega Thread] Barrel 2.0 - Part 4:

Thanks for your reply, @khaleesibot, but this issue was supposedly fixed in a previous update. It is still an issue, though.

Submit another bug report with as much information as you can. There are times when we fix a bug which is triggered in one way, but it presents in another even though it looks the same to you. Any information about what you're experiencing will help us resolve it!

• @ironuzuka said in [Mega Thread] Barrel 2.0 - Part 4:

@trickrtreat01 Well now you still need to search inside the barrels (enter/exit the barrel UI.)
    Instead of spamming to grab resources, one click per resource will fill/empty your inventory.
    It's faster than their first version of barrel 2.0. Still slower than V1.0 (can't grab stuff on the fly).

So there isn't one click to take everything, its one click per different type of resource ?
    so if you wanted to load up on planks, cannonballs and bananas it would be a click to open, one click per resource and a click to close?
    So the only thing that changed is that you don't need multiple clicks per resource?

• Love it.

The only thing i wish for now is a revision of the stack limit.

I still think barrels hold too much.

• @trickrtreat01 yes, one click per resource.

• @ironuzuka Thanks for letting me know. Sounds like it's still way too clunky for fluid play. I was really hoping Rare would make barrels better. It sounds like they are still too much like barrels 2.0 than 1.0
    RIP SoT .

• people keep saying this game is dead but here we are, still.

• I wasn't able to play yet, so I have a question: When boarding another ship, and I look into there cannonball barrel, when I "pick all", do I get all the cursed cannonballs at once? That would be something really unfair if yes...

• Witht he new Take All option in barrels, I don't think this should be the default action when in the barrel UI ("A" button on Xbox), but should be the secondary action ("Y" button). While yes it is convenient and easy, it sort of negates the whole purpose of the UI, and makes it really easy to strip other ships of their resources. True, it is "6 of one, half dozen the other" as it is still just a button press, but there should be more intentionality to what you are grabbing/storing.

Also, the Barrel UI needs/should be carried over to the banana/cannonball/wooden plank merchant crates, at least in a limited capacity, as it doesn't make sense for these not to be the same mechanic.

• @marsmayflower said in [Mega Thread] Barrel 2.0 - Part 4:

people keep saying this game is dead but here we are, still.

Dead maybe not, but it is dying.

• Yay there is a take all button! Boooo it does not close the bloody ui when used.

• You shouldn't even have to go into the damn UI to use take all. Weeks later and the game is still unplayable.

@sgt-palooggoo You should now be able to reach Pirate Legend without ever buying a voyage!

I must have gotten into my mid-20s almost exclusively on messages in a bottle and reading books while exploring as a solo sloop Captain. I doubt I'd bought 12 voyages before that time...this would have sure added to my voyage larder! :-D

• Oh and now I see why, the "take all" button doesn't actually take all. Why!!!!!!!! Come on Rare, how do you mess this up!

• @trickrtreat01 If it is dying, then we are putting up a damn good fight on the way down!

• @knightx13 said in [Mega Thread] Barrel 2.0 - Part 4:

Witht he new Take All option in barrels, I don't think this should be the default action when in the barrel UI ("A" button on Xbox), but should be the secondary action ("Y" button). While yes it is convenient and easy, it sort of negates the whole purpose of the UI, and makes it really easy to strip other ships of their resources. True, it is "6 of one, half dozen the other" as it is still just a button press, but there should be more intentionality to what you are grabbing/storing.

Also, the Barrel UI needs/should be carried over to the banana/cannonball/wooden plank merchant crates, at least in a limited capacity, as it doesn't make sense for these not to be the same mechanic.

If you have an obtrusive element in your game that can be made redundant....

• @knightx13 said in [Mega Thread] Barrel 2.0 - Part 4:

negates the whole purpose of the UI

Yes please! More of this please.

• hear hear mates keep to the code or captain Teague will be on you guys

• Not able to log in and check myself, and I'm guessing the answer is no, but can you navigate the inventory using WASD? This was the most annoying part of the new UI - having to use either the mouse or the arrow keys to select items.

A lot of the interfaces on the PC require multiple different sections of the keyboard. Page Up/Down for some menus, Q/E on others, arrow keys, mouse, etc... Its a UX mess.

• Personally, I am fine with Barrels 2.0, but the biggest complaint seems to be getting bananas on the run - what if they just had an option to pick up bananas without entering the barrel? I don't see any reason to you would have to pick up cannonballs or planks in a hurry.

• @alaskagrown49 said in [Mega Thread] Barrel 2.0 - Part 4:

Personally, I am fine with Barrels 2.0, but the biggest complaint seems to be getting bananas on the run - what if they just had an option to pick up bananas without entering the barrel? I don't see any reason to you would have to pick up cannonballs or planks in a hurry.

You might want to steal them?

• @trickrtreat01 said in [Mega Thread] Barrel 2.0 - Part 4:

@marsmayflower said in [Mega Thread] Barrel 2.0 - Part 4:

people keep saying this game is dead but here we are, still.

Dead maybe not, but it is dying.

No, it's really not. But you wouldn't know that since you don't actually play. Stop trolling the forums with your pathetic "poor me, they ruined my game" whining. Rare just released an amazing update, by any standards. If you refuse to even give it a try, you have no right to come here and trash the game. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's sick of your incessant moaning. Go find another game, already.

• text alternatif

Views
9 out of 83