Spawn camped for over an hour

• Sailing with my wife and buddy the other day we came across some immature jerks. This is our tale. We headed toward an Ashen Winds event and quickly completed it.
    We noticed a level 5 reaper gally 1 island over. Looks like we’re gonna have to fight. While loading up the treasure a rowboat had appeared. Well that wasn’t there before.
    2 skillful pirates boarded and took us out pretty quickly. We respawned and the galley was there. We put up a fight but we’re bested again.
    That’s the luck of the draw. The name of the game. It happens. Whatever.
    They knew the spawn spots and a few stayed on board while they sailed to reapers (not to far) to sell the treasure. Again it happens. Not upset about it.
    But they didn’t leave. They kept spawn camping us all while yelling obscenities and other rude nonsense. Now all we’re back.
    We refused to scuttle or quit. Not gonna give these guys the satisfaction.
    We tried being nice but to no avail. We fought back but that just came with laughter and “rolls in the deck”
    One guy kept telling me How attractive his chemistry teacher was and wanted to send me pics. Weird.
    After about an hour they asked why we keep coming back. Why we haven’t rage quit yet. Cause that’s just not our style. It’s a video game. No reason to let it ruin our night.
    They eventually got bored (I’m surprised it took them that long) and logged off.
    I consider that a win in my book. Also we turned in there level 5 reaper flag.
    When people are trying to grief you, don’t give in, Don’t lose your cool, Don’t let them have the satisfaction, and you will be victorious.

Публикации
    Просмотры
  • @lastcall4lunch said in Spawn camped for over an hour:

When people are trying to grief you, don’t give in, Don’t lose your cool, Don’t let them have the satisfaction, and you will be victorious.

They spawn camped you for an hour and logged off without sinking you and left their flag? Seems odd

And I very much disagree with your statement here. The biggest issue with people having negative experiences is that they don't quit, they keep engaging and the situation keeps escalating. Ego battles are negativity breeding grounds

Most crews in most situations similar to yours people should move on. The "this game is so toxic" narratives come from people not knowing when to move on to solve their own issues.

• @wolfmanbush I agree he should have scuttled and moved on, but if he wanted to tie that group up for a few hours that's his prerogative. He can play how he wants. He has the tools, its his choice how and when to use them.

Also, I would consider that group toxic as well. Not the spawn camping part as that is easily fixed with scuttling. Though I do find spawn camping at the point where theres is no reason for it unsportsmanlike. Ie once they got all the treasure, resources, etc and it has devolved into killing for killings sake with no end in sight. The obscenities part is where I draw the line. Communication which is rude, disrespectful, and laced with profanity should be reported. I hope he reported them for that.

• @ronin20 said in Spawn camped for over an hour:

@wolfmanbush I agree he should have scuttled and moved on, but if he wanted to tie that group up for a few hours that's his prerogative. He can play how he wants. He has the tools, its his choice how and when to use them.

There is a difference between making a personal choice (which is not something I addressed) and recommending to others to take a similar path when that path is known for directly leading to more escalation, more negative narratives, and more negative experiences.

• @wolfmanbush I don’t think this game is toxic at all. Most people I come across are chill or fight and move on. You wanna spawn camp me while taking me treasure and or supplies? I get it. I’m fine with it. But to blast my ship. Fix it so it doesn’t sink. Blast it again. Fix it again. After you have everything. Then tell me to eff myself and use other hateful speech. That’s just rude and unnecessary.

• @lastcall4lunch If you think someone has breached the Code of Conduct:

Just report that person and keep playing:

• Spawn camping or being spawn camped is a good way to sharpen up your pvp skills. That's why I actually enjoy when a good player boards my ship, especially in arena.

• @lastcall4lunch said in Spawn camped for over an hour:

Sailing with my wife and buddy the other day we came across some immature jerks. This is our tale. We headed toward an Ashen Winds event and quickly completed it.
    We noticed a level 5 reaper gally 1 island over. Looks like we’re gonna have to fight. While loading up the treasure a rowboat had appeared. Well that wasn’t there before.
    2 skillful pirates boarded and took us out pretty quickly. We respawned and the galley was there. We put up a fight but we’re bested again.
    That’s the luck of the draw. The name of the game. It happens. Whatever.
    They knew the spawn spots and a few stayed on board while they sailed to reapers (not to far) to sell the treasure. Again it happens. Not upset about it.
    But they didn’t leave. They kept spawn camping us all while yelling obscenities and other rude nonsense. Now all we’re back.
    We refused to scuttle or quit. Not gonna give these guys the satisfaction.
    We tried being nice but to no avail. We fought back but that just came with laughter and “rolls in the deck”
    One guy kept telling me How attractive his chemistry teacher was and wanted to send me pics. Weird.
    After about an hour they asked why we keep coming back. Why we haven’t rage quit yet. Cause that’s just not our style. It’s a video game. No reason to let it ruin our night.
    They eventually got bored (I’m surprised it took them that long) and logged off.
    I consider that a win in my book. Also we turned in there level 5 reaper flag.

This is a breach of the code of conduct.

Spawn camping is not allowed. It is an actionable offense.

Please file reports on all their gamertags and make sure you have clips.

This behavior is not acceptable and we don't want it on our seas.

• @metal-ravage said in Spawn camped for over an hour:

@lastcall4lunch If you think someone has breached the Code of Conduct:

Just report that person and keep playing:

@lastcall4lunch
    The above is exactly the right course of action in situations such as these. As you noted, killing you (even repeatedly and sailing your own ship to sell your loot) is fair game. They were following the intended spirit of the game. However, once you have nothing to take and they're obviously and quite evidently there just to mess with you and nothing more, that is when it becomes a breech of the Code of Conduct. And at that point you have every right to report those individuals. So get as much detail as you can (video evidence is best) and report it to the Support team. They'll see it sorted out.

All that said, good on you for not letting it get to you! In these situations it's honestly best to not let it drag you down and start stooping to their level. Keep your head, your wits and you'll be a step ahead of the game.

• @aerotsune said in Spawn camped for over an hour:

As you noted, killing you (even repeatedly and sailing your own ship to sell your loot) is fair game. They were following the intended spirit of the game. However, once you have nothing to take and they're obviously and quite evidently there just to mess with you and nothing more, that is when it becomes a breech of the Code of Conduct.

To me, this definition of what is 'fair game' seems problematic. I would argue that pvp hasn't been about loot for more than a year (if it ever was). There is simply so much treasure just laying around that engaging in pvp for the sake of loot is quite inefficient. In fact, I will admit to engaging in pvp and killing other players in quite protracted battles that involved spawn-camping, then sailing away without taking any loot. In these cases, pvp was solely about 'messing with' the other players - the fun and excitement of pitting my skills against another pirate.

I think where the Code comes into play is when pirates become verbally abusive, 'yelling obscenities and other rude nonsense', as the OP states.

• Ive been part of a crew that spawn camped a sloop before. This was also so we could loot their ship of all supplies before sinking them. This was also a crew that we had already sunk 4 times prior, but they kept coming back every time while being rude.

• I don't understand why spawn camping is a "bannable offence" it should putely be if they are saying offencive things that should be bannable.

• @jojo-buddy-v2 said in Spawn camped for over an hour:

I don't understand why spawn camping is a "bannable offence" it should putely be if they are saying offencive things that should be bannable.

It's against the rules to target individuals to mistreat them so with this rule in mind it would be appropriate for them to leave open the possibility of consequences for some very specific types of spawn camping

If a crew were to (for whatever reason) start targeting a specific crew or person and doing nothing but following them around specifically to spawn camp them then it's reasonable to try to prevent that with consequences

This isn't something that happens that often and it can be difficult to prove but everything can be taken too far so a blanket "do anything and everything you want in gameplay" allows openings for abuse of the leniency

Some people make claims that there has been unjust enforcement when it comes to camping but I've never seen evidence of it. The people that get popped for it seem to be playing with fire and get burned from what I've seen.

• As said above by someone, I feel like the rules of spawn camping, and what's a breech of the Code of Conduct, are too vague. It seems like the bannable offense should be the verbal portion. Not the camping itself, not the "rodl-ing", but the actual typed offensive messages. The scuttle feature is there for a reason. If you chose not to use it, that seems to be your own fault. It's obvious that what is reportable is unsure, just look at this thread. Some people think any spawn camping is an actionable offense.

• @sammyr0cks said in Spawn camped for over an hour:

As said above by someone, I feel like the rules of spawn camping, and what's a breech of the Code of Conduct, are too vague. It seems like the bannable offense should be the verbal portion. Not the camping itself, not the "rodl-ing", but the actual typed offensive messages. The scuttle feature is there for a reason. If you chose not to use it, that seems to be your own fault. It's obvious that what is reportable is unsure, just look at this thread. Some people think any spawn camping is an actionable offense.

There are two different conversations when it comes to scuttling

there is how people should use tools help themselves in negative situations and accountability for breaking the rules of the game

If someone is indeed breaking the rules of the game the other crew should scuttle/leave the server to help themselves but the accountability for the rule breaking is still at the feet of those responsible

The rules aren't actually vague. Discretion of enforcement is not always universally seen as consistent but people know when they are playing with fire.

I've had thousands and thousands of fights and some have been quite a combative spectacle but I don't worry about punishment.
    Why? because I don't push the line. I play the game and if I need to camp in a situation it's clear why. I don't drag it on. Sinking the ship or getting supplies or giving myself time for a reason related to my ship/loot.

Everyone that I've ever seen face consequences for something around fighting with other crews I've seen play with fire. Every single one.
    They don't always admit they are playing with fire and they often downplay what they are doing or try to manipulate the situation they were in but I haven't seen a clear case of punishment for someone that wasn't clearly and regularly up to shenanigans

Публикации
Просмотры
1 из 15