[Mega Thread] Sea of Thieves: The Arena

• @mikethemutinous a dit dans [Mega Thread] Sea of Thieves: The Arena :

@jetorchidee97 said in [Mega Thread] Sea of Thieves: The Arena:

@mikethemutinous With the addition of the Arena mode, what do you think today of a preloading community HUB (where you could crew with players, tell and hear stories, have minigames and chose your gamemode)?

Would love to do this!

:') wipes tears I know there's nothing done yet but still that's a really good news to hear. Thank you!

• @jetorchidee97 said in [Mega Thread] Sea of Thieves: The Arena:

@mikethemutinous a dit dans [Mega Thread] Sea of Thieves: The Arena :

@jetorchidee97 said in [Mega Thread] Sea of Thieves: The Arena:

@mikethemutinous With the addition of the Arena mode, what do you think today of a preloading community HUB (where you could crew with players, tell and hear stories, have minigames and chose your gamemode)?

Would love to do this!

:') wipes tears I know there's nothing done yet but still that's a really good news to hear. Thank you!

I'll third this, it's something I would love to see :)

• Well, you did not add progress to the characters to prevent the splitting of the community (that is you told us) and now you add independent modes to the game.

That sounds good.

The number of "+1" on the replys on that way speak for themselves.

• Hard to find something positive to say about it right now except it will probably bring more players to the game. I won't lie by saying that I'm still really confused and I'm not sure to like the idea of different game modes.

I'll wait to watch the Panel in hope it will answer some of my questions and concerns. Hopefully I'll have the chance to share them during the Pioneer testings and we'll be able to make sure we'll get the best experience and enjoyment for everyone.

• @khaleesibot firstly, i dont mind that this is an update, should it be a separate game mode though i really dont think so, but i do like the introduction of the new trading company.

secondly, for the unlocks im guessing where getting weapons and stuff and im gonna guess the missions from them are gonna be based on killing other players with selected weapons.

finally, will this account to pirate legend because if thats the case what happens to the already pirate legends

• @mikethemutinous I'm thinking of some sort of interactive menu were players can walk around a large town and either go to the building that contains the arena if they want to play the PVP mode or got to the docks if they want to continue to play adventure mode. Would probably also make SoT look more interesting for other people by making the game feel like you are not just going through a normal menu but instead walks around a living town.

as in, a Playable Menu.

• @katttruewalker said in [Mega Thread] Sea of Thieves: The Arena:

A couple of questions answered in this tweet -
    https://twitter.com/ChappersChapman/status/1061380899676344321

Sea of Thieves is already at our fingertips. So are pirate battles and fighting over treasure. Same kind of stories and memories already a click or button press away.

We could have the same mechanic in the game now with voyages and maps sending us more to the same islands. It is what skull forts did. Rare could have given them renewed meaning as well as add the same map competitions to same sea.

It is ridiculous how they are hyping and selling us the same game bundled together as compressed miniSoT as an update. They are insulting their players right to their faces. Amazing how quickly another game developer makes an “immortal mistake.”

• @katttruewalker said in [Mega Thread] Sea of Thieves: The Arena:

69% adventure mode
    31% Arena/competitive
    at time of posting.

https://twitter.com/aarongreenberg/status/1061374101623779328

Mostly people that are aware of the arena mode are people following the game and playing it. I'm pretty sure if the pvp crowd out there not following the game ears of it, these numbers would be totally different.

• @mikethemutinous said in [Mega Thread] Sea of Thieves: The Arena:

@eratikstorm said in [Mega Thread] Sea of Thieves: The Arena:

This has "Pressure from Microsoft" written all over it. Sea of Thieves was pushed out as a Flagship title for the GamePass. It did massive numbers in the first 14 days and has not been able to maintain that engagement.

Adding this PvP Mode to pull in the BR/Deathmatch crowd sounds like a good buisness decision. It will also likely be a good avenue for Rare to add in the Cash Shop that we know has been planned (based on Rare's comments about the tabled "Pet" expansion).

I am sure this is not going to be the last controversial decision Rare makes with this IP. I would not be surprised if they use the Arena to test other things like Weapons with Stats, and armor, or other powerups as well. We will see what happens in time.

That is just not true ;)

We keep Microsoft informed and they may well give us feedback about how best to announce content, however they don't get involved with content decisions. This is Rare's responsibility and the team in Redmond just want to help us look after it.

It also doesn't mean that we're going to start changing the core approach to mechanics. Any improvements and additions will be shared by both experiences.

That is interesting. I find it difficult to believe that Gamepass engagement numbers are not part of Rare's decision making process, and I consider any decision based upon Gamepass to be pressure from Microsoft. ;)

I appreciate the reassurance that you are not going to "start changing the core approach to mechanics" but you really have by creating a PvP server environment. This is not the first "core approach" that has been stated by Rare for Sea of Thieves that has changed. "Every sail you see will be another player" comes to mind.

And as for any improvements and additions will be shared by both experiences... well I insinuated that I could see the Arena being a test bed for Weapons, Armor and power ups... not that they would be limited to the Arena.

I really want this game to thrive, I love it, both PvE and PvP sides. I just look at other industry trends and I worry that the Core idea of a sandbox will be left behind because quick play Arena play may become more profitable.

(edit: spelling: "pick play" changed to "quick play")

• @skulliah I’m seeing it like red dead and gta. But maybe better.

I’m just thinking at some point you will have the adventure mode as the main thing, and then maybe go to a book in the captins cabin if you fancy a game in the arena .

I’ve been wanting mini games since back in the TA so I’m hoping personally this is the start of something great! #Poker xD

• https://twitter.com/JoeNeate1/status/1061643837452488704

• I really like this idea, hopefully theres some exclusive items for the top players so they can distinguish themselves. PL gear doesnt feel very special anymore

• @scraping-static said in [Mega Thread] Sea of Thieves: The Arena:

I invest in real estate and remodel homes with my family for work, and as a hobby on the weekends I modify my cars till they reach my vision. I have a better imagination than most. But I don’t believe in a game being so bad that I should have to rely on my imagination to enjoy it. That isn’t what I paid for.

It's not about the choice, but what you do with it. If SoT didn't turn out to be what you thought you were buying then you have every right to be disappointed and should absolutely insist on Rare improving it.

However, the idea that you would feel forced to use your imagination is what bums me out. My preferred games are story-heavy RPGs, so SoT isn't exactly scratching my particular tingly bits, but I like it enough to dive in and allow my imagination to make up for the shortcomings. And I will continue to express my displeasure at those shortcomings to try and get them fixed, but I'm gonna have fun in the mean time.

Growing up, me and my younger brother had two GI Joe figures we got from Marc's. These weren't main characters, rather two cheap, bargain bin astronaut characters. But those figures were two of our favorite toys because of the stories and jokes we made with them.

If you are displeased with the state of the game, then by all means say so. Express your grievances and demand change. But don't make using your imagination sound like a chore. That's what makes me sad. Using your imagination is a privilege and something I do almost automatically; even on games that I absolutely love.

I realize that's probably not how you meant it to be taken, but the inference is there and it's a sore point for me. So sorry if it seemed like I was jumping on your back for no reason, but I believe you should never feel negatively about using your imagination.

• https://twitter.com/Gamerboss/status/1061647819843555329

• People are talking about how this will split the playerbase, which I agree with. But in some ways I think it is healthy.

PvE looks like will always be updated, we are coming into perhaps fishing, looting sea creature fights, and more things that make sailing fun (Storms, maelstroms, other random encounters instead of just abiding by voyages).

With PvP mode, I feel like PvE will be more forgiving to have content such as Giant islands or dungeons (gameplay that focuses on land traversal), you know stuff that makes you leave your ship will be more forgiving due to how PvE is less aggressive.

The reason I think PvP mode is made is to keep the bloodthirsty pirates there. So that an encounter in PvE isnt just a bloodthirsty encounter, but with more intent such as a robbery.

In short: Adventure mode can focus on making the game more of an adventure with its content, PvP will mostly be left unchanged, PvP MODE will be what it is even when Adventure Mode is packed with content.

• So, my first thought when seeing the announcement trailer was "unbelievable."

Now, I understand that this type of gameplay is what was used for prototyping and marketing, but Rare has, despite overwhelming feedback to the contrary, decided to go against the community's wishes and basically cave to the PvP/PvE only minorities. We all know this is what they wanted; we've been dealing with their broken records of threads since launch. I find this move antithetical to Rare's original intent, which makes it all the more disappointing knowing that Rare decided to cater to a small group.

For now, I'm not happy. If it somehow turns out that this was the right move to make, fine. But let it be known that I, as well as many others, feel this move was made against better judgement.

• I hope that the arena works well on release, because it's unlikely to get any improvements afterwards. Rare seems to be unable to revisit and refocus on preexisting material and their inexperience with designing shared multiplayer content is evident.

None of the quest lines have been touched. They have a great random quest generator that has extremely limited options resulting in low variety. They have a great idea for cursed chests but only have 2 types. They have skeleton ships that float at the edges of the map to be ignored. There's a kraken that no one cares about. There's a broken player economy where everyone has tons of gold but no where to spend it. There are thrones that sit around the map with no purpose. There are were statues for some reason. The server merge is not working properly or some regions are just dead. There are outright design issues that foster bad behavior, dull gameplay, encourage exploits or have been impacting other areas of the game since alpha.

But it's ok, the arena will bring players in if they even care to spend $60 for a half baked experience.

• So, ppl ask for more PvE stuff, to bring the life to the empty islands with absolutely nothing to do except boring crates transportation...
    what we gonna do - a PVP ARENA!!! Yeah, we are so smart...
    One year of empty promises to make game better and 1000 useless outfits with 0 playable value....8 island region with empty boring islands is not a game changer at all...
    Everyone is tired of PvP and making same voyages all over again just because there is nothing more to do...

It's really sad to see such a great game base dying because of devs incompetence and wrong moves, just small random triggers with mini-events all over every island with random enemies and rewards and it can be one of the greatest games ever, but it's dying because instead of 5-10 new enemies and cool mission generator devs prefers to make useless new outfits....

RiP SoT, hope Skulls&Bones and ATLAS from ARK creators will be muuuuch better (it's not difficult, even in preprealpha movies it has way more content...)
    Next time Microsoft gonna make a Pirate game, they'd better look for another devs, somebody like Warframe's devs, ppl who know how to make grind interesting

• Ahoy!

Afternoon all, here's another tweet thread to follow for those of you worried about the core gameplay experience.

https://twitter.com/Gamerboss/status/1061651029635317761

• Thanks for responding on the forums. Interesting to hear more in the live panel and in future announcements. It’s certainly caused quite a stir in the community.

@mikethemutinous said in [Mega Thread] Sea of Thieves: The Arena:

Lots to read on this thread and I've tried my best to digest it all.

Just a few thoughts based on some of the more consistent thoughts and feedback from this thread:

We discussed a mode like The Arena in the very early days of pitching the game and prototyping. The pitch is simple - have the 'greatest hits' of Sea of Thieves, but on demand. Getting involved in epic ship battles and competing over a more defined goal was the way we stress tested mechanics and demoed the game to new members of the team. In fact, this formed the basis of what we first showed off at E3 2016 and 2017 as we knew it was a bite sized chunk of Sea of Thieves that would play well in 20-30 minutes.

What this isn't though, is a straight split between 'PvE' and 'PvP'. Yes, The Arena will focus on competition between players, but it is categorically not about taking the 'thieves' out of Sea of Thieves. We focused on the Treasure Hunting gameplay for The Arena first because it had more scope to create memorable moments and stories over just straight battling, but its just one part of the overall game.

The core vision of Sea of Thieves is the player created stories that can occur and an experience that gives you a wide range of emotions within a shared world. The Arena just serves elements of this on demand with more of a defined focus. Its not a replacement, and certainly not a distraction from the core improvements and new content we want to add to the game you're currently playing.

As many of you have probably heard me talk about before, Sea of Thieves aims to capture the thrill of the pirate life and the game as it stands today, with its moments of exploration, escapism and excitement, aims to capture this in a unique way and give you moments that you won't forget. The primary focus remains the adventure experience, with The Arena having its own progression and rewards. Nothing changes elsewhere. If you're the kind of player that likes to attack other ships to steal their treasure, nothing will stop you doing that. If players want to come in and only play The Arena, they can, but they will be playing a small part of the Sea of Thieves experience.

This month, Shrouded Spoils aims to address some of the wider feedback points from the community, while we simultaneously also have our heads down crafting numerous new elements for the existing game, some new features / tools, some more far reaching.

We passionately believe in the game and we want more players to experience it so it can realise its full potential. Sailing towards the horizon, not knowing what dangers you'll face and living out the pirate fantasy you might have once dreamt about is the heart of Sea of Thieves. The more players that get to experience that and fall in love with it, the richer the Sea of Thieves experience will become.

• @d3adst1ck said in [Mega Thread] Sea of Thieves: The Arena:

I hope that the arena works well on release, because it's unlikely to get any improvements afterwards. Rare seems to be unable to revisit and refocus on preexisting material and their inexperience with designing shared multiplayer content is evident.

None of the quest lines have been touched. They have a great random quest generator that has extremely limited options resulting in low variety. They have a great idea for cursed chests but only have 2 types. They have skeleton ships that float at the edges of the map to be ignored. There's a kraken that no one cares about. There's a broken player economy where everyone has tons of gold but no where to spend it. There are thrones that sit around the map with no purpose. There are were statues for some reason. The server merge is not working properly or some regions are just dead. There are outright design issues that foster bad behavior, dull gameplay, encourage exploits or have been impacting other areas of the game since alpha.

But it's ok, the arena will bring players in if they even care to spend $60 for a half baked experience.

At least we'll be able to do all these things in the fog soon! :D

Anyway I agree. I hope adventure mode will get actual new things to do with/before the arena. Aside from more tools, scenery and commendations (I mean really, achievements are not content), we didn't really get anything new to do.
    When the short events end, you are back to the 3 voyages, as usual. Once you are a legend, you are stuck with athenas.

• @x-crowheart-x said in [Mega Thread] Sea of Thieves: The Arena:

@katttruewalker said in [Mega Thread] Sea of Thieves: The Arena:

Sea of Thieves is already at our fingertips. So our pirate battles and fighting over treasure. Same kind of stories and memories already a click or button press away.

We could have the same mechanic in the game now with voyages and maps sending us more to the same islands. It is what skull forts did. Rare could have given them renewed meaning as well as add the same map competitions to same sea.

It is ridiculous how they are hyping and selling us the same game bundled together as compressed miniSoT as an update. They are insulting their players right to their faces. Amazing how quickly another game developer makes an “immortal mistake.”

Really sorry you feel that way. You have to know that we consider all ways to implement content. Having this seamlessly in the world would be lovely, but most definitely would not be at your fingertips. With sailing times and server matchmaking it would be take too long (upwards of 20 mins probably). Nobody would really want to wait that long. Also you'd be giving players a portal to leave the experience and it would take some time for the missing ships to be replaced on the original server.

Its optional and you don't have to play it if its really not your thing but I would encourage you to give it a chance. The team is also working on numerous other features outside of this.

• @mikethemutinous THANK YOU FOR PROVIDING THIS CLARITY

• This is a monumentally stupid idea.

I finally reached Pirate Legend for Rare to destroy the game.

• @mikethemutinous
    Many of us understand, but thanks for clarifying. It's not at all practical to try and round up the players on a single server to have any form of PvP reliably. This IS what a ton of us wanted. Thanks!
    With that being said. would the entry to this mode ever be seamlessly implemented into the base game? Similar to Dark souls arena or MMO PvP where you go to a certain area in the world(like a port town) and sign up to queue for a match?

• Time to watch the Panel!

https://mixer.com/xbox

• @ant-heuser-kush even with kb/m support there will still be complaints because not everyone will use them.

Also, can't wait to see more complaints about crew trolls because they still haven't implemented kick functionality. Dead weight will be an even bigger impact in a competitive mode.

• @betsill said in [Mega Thread] Sea of Thieves: The Arena:

@mikethemutinous

With that being said. would the entry to this mode ever be seamlessly implemented into the base game? Similar to Dark souls arena or MMO PvP where you go to a certain area in the world(like a port town) and sign up to queue for a match?

I don't really see a point in adding something like that. All you will see are ships sailing to a certin outpost and just disappear. Also it will make servers a bit of a mess, since people will just join and leave a minute later.

It could work if the servers were big and there were enough players at all times, but not in the current condition.

• @mikethemutinous said in [Mega Thread] Sea of Thieves: The Arena:

@x-crowheart-x said in [Mega Thread] Sea of Thieves: The Arena:

@katttruewalker said in [Mega Thread] Sea of Thieves: The Arena:

Sea of Thieves is already at our fingertips. So our pirate battles and fighting over treasure. Same kind of stories and memories already a click or button press away.

Really sorry you feel that way. You have to know that we consider all ways to implement content. Having this seamlessly in the world would be lovely, but most definitely would not be at your fingertips. With sailing times and server matchmaking it would be take too long (upwards of 20 mins probably). Nobody would really want to wait that long. Also you'd be giving players a portal to leave the experience and it would take some time for the missing ships to be replaced on the original server.

Its optional and you don't have to play it if its really not your thing but I would encourage you to give it a chance. The team is also working on numerous other features outside of this.

I appreciate your reply. I was not talking about queuing to take ships off servers. Nor does this address the real reasons there are not always enough ships on servers now.

You are right this would have been lovely to be in the world we all sail in now. The sea is already there to have the same mechanics bringing us all more together. All without queuing and matchmaking. It is not that the same destination cannot be reached. You are choosing a completely different path.

Still a separate mini game of the same game. I know selecting a mode is going to be optional. Do not insult me. Also do not insult me by making the typical excuse “you don't have to play it if its really not your thing”. Of course players do not have to play it. Just like players do not have to play the game at all.

• Well, those of you claiming most players want this change are going to have your hypothesis tested. I hope you are right. You'll know you have a problem if you keep running into many of the same crews session after session because the player base shrank. I'll be surprised if the game lasts through to this time next year, but I truly hope I am very wrong.

• This my friends is the beginning of the end. This is the first step towards PVE and PVP servers. This is essentially what World of Warcraft did and it's failing miserably there too. Splitting the player base will hurt this game beyond repair.

Once again, in an attempt to make a few people happy they make the masses unhappy.

• @knifelife

For once, you are more positive about changes than I am haha. I joke I joke.

Alright, let us consider the Arena from a different point of view. Let me consider the Arena from the best possible angle and consider the potential that it has. This, for me would be the best case scenario. @Thor von Blitz said something that I enjoyed, that the Arena would have challenges that would be weekly/bi-weekly that would reward you for doing this gamemode. Similar to the Bilge Rat Adventures.

The Biggest problem I have with this gamemode is that it is not immersive. It's separate. Something to the side. You select it as something seperate, rather than (which I would love much more) this being something like the fighters guild? (I forget) in World of Warcraft or the Arena in Fable. Something you can choose to do, like a new kind of activity.

Best case scenario to fix this, in my opinion, would be to allow players to go to the man in the trailer (I forget his name) who changes your location to match you with other players that want to do this as well. Thus, earning reputation with the faction makes sense as he would just gather pirates who want to compete for treasure.

I hope the competition of this game-mode/voyage would lie in literally competing for the same voyage. Man in trailer gives everyone the same treasure map, and gathering the most makes you win. Thus, as you said @KnifeLife Rare could expand upon it for this man to offer you even different kinds of voyages/events. Perhaps you can pay the man to bring a bunch of pirates together so you can, as you said, host events. Or, perhaps Skullball or Beacon Brawlers, En Garde, actual Ship Races, Broboat Race, Rum Runners etc etc could all be included in this game-mode.

The gamemode is called Arena, thus, for me, the dream would be that it offers actual Arena modes that are an addition to the Adventure Mode rather than something seperate. Perhaps taverns are expanded to include an area where you can go to participate in the Arena. But, that is unlikely and never going to happen for various reasons as described in a tweet by @MikeTheMutinous and a post by him in this same thread. However, even if some of this would be included it would be a major improvement for me. Make it something that is an arena also built on things players have done but also just different kind of challenges, but that's just my opinion.

• @erinom3 Hahaha your not wrong! But it’s hard to be consistent pessimist xD

Postagens
Visualizações
356 de 520