Passing the Captains hat when leaving a server

• Ahoy you scurvy sea snakes!!

So as all us salty sailor's can see... when leaving your captained ship the rank of Captain is thrown into the air whether or not you return... this is kind of mildly upsetting for a lot of people for a multitude of reasons, if your game crashes and you join back nothing that you do from that point onward will build progress towards your ships log.

Picture this, you've spent 4 hours stacking the fotd in hopes to gain reputation towards your ships log, a pilfering pirate comes along and convinces you to sword block and ring the bell which results in your game crashing... that's a minor inconvenience, you may have lost the goldfish you caught but atleast you can rejoin... but oh wait... you won't get any reputation towards your ship...

I don't expect this to be an issue for longer than 2 months due to the team at rare being amazing at what they do (other than hitreg)... (jk) but until then why not spitball??

I propose that we have a system that atleast passes the hat down to the next cremate whilst giving credit to the original captain in the logbook on the voyage table, i.e ( Captained by grogswiger69 Previously captained by bedazzledbucaneerbby ) everything that is don't on that captained vessel brings reputation to the vessels own ships log, as well as bringing reputation to the players captains log of course...

Just an idea, I'll more likely than not get bashed for me idea but Ill not be goin down without a FIGHT!!!

Views
    communityjust for funfeedbackgeneral
  • Picture this, you've spent 4 hours stacking the fotd in hopes to gain reputation towards your ships log, a pilfering pirate comes along and convinces you to sword block and ring the bell which results in your game crashing... that's a minor inconvenience

Whew...4 hours and not a single second you thought to turn in....that seems to be Your own fault and an age old problem kids seem to have, Stacking loot and crashing/disconnecting. Don't do that.

when leaving your captained ship the rank of Captain is thrown into the air whether or not you return..

Way I see it. When a captain leaves his/her ship, they died.

Besides, how can you pass the hat to a crew that...isn't there.

• Im not sure about passing ownership, but they definitely need to have it save your place as captain for the duration it takes to log back in, much like it needs to save your inventory, but with time im sure that will be changed.

• The drops that let you rejoin your session should lock in your captaincy for the same amount of time.

Perhaps Captains could mark a 1st mate to take over when leaving expectedly.

Or it explodes and the crew is all kicked.

Either one 🤷🏽‍♀️

• @burnbacon If you couldn't realize that that was an overexaggerated example I don't think I care to take anything you say seriously matey....

• @burnbacon said in Passing the Captains hat when leaving a server:

what?...

• @avacadobeard244 said in Passing the Captains hat when leaving a server:

Ahoy you scurvy sea snakes!!

So as all us salty sailor's can see... when leaving your captained ship the rank of Captain is thrown into the air whether or not you return... this is kind of mildly upsetting for a lot of people for a multitude of reasons, if your game crashes and you join back nothing that you do from that point onward will build progress towards your ships log.

After a crash or disconnect, you should retain Captaincy when you join the session again. If that doesn't happen it's a bug and you could submit a support ticket.

We have mixed results with this, one time Captaincy was lost the moment we got the notification the Captain had left the crew, yesterday when his PC couldn't take the heat anymore, he was able to return and our brig was still Captained.

• Too abusable

"JOIN OUR RREQUUIEEMMM ALLIANCE SERVERS AND LEAVE THE GAME. WE WILL GRIND MILESTONES FOR YE FOR THE SMALL PRICE OF 10 DOLLARS A MONTH."

Dont say they cant do it as its against TOS. That Rrrrequiiiemmm already takes 5 dollars a month to join their "fleet".

• @burnbacon said in Passing the Captains hat when leaving a server:

Picture this, you've spent 4 hours stacking the fotd in hopes to gain reputation towards your ships log, a pilfering pirate comes along and convinces you to sword block and ring the bell which results in your game crashing... that's a minor inconvenience

Whew...4 hours and not a single second you thought to turn in....that seems to be Your own fault and an age old problem kids seem to have, Stacking loot and crashing/disconnecting. Don't do that.

when leaving your captained ship the rank of Captain is thrown into the air whether or not you return..

Way I see it. When a captain leaves his/her ship, they died.

That's cute and dandy and all, except for the fact that you don't have to stack loot for crashes to occour.

Crashes and disconnects have become more common for all my crewmates since the beginning of season 5 and even more common later down the road. From 2 minute blackscreens to disconnects to straight up crashes. You name it, they are all there no matter the platform.

• @thorumsu

I don't think we should use alliance servers as a reason to not add QOL improvements. Most of us don't use server alliances.

As for grinding milestones, I do agree there would need to be some limitations in place.

Such as a cooldown from when a Captain leaves to voting a new Captain in - to give the original Captain a chance to rejoin. You cannot replace a serving Captain. You can only be voted in as Captain if you own a ship of that size yourself. The ship will be replaced by your ship only if you pay a large amount of gold at a shipwright (say 20k), but you do not earn ship milestones until that happens - only pirate milestones.

• @papatankers2041 that entire section was used as an example and does not have much to do with the idea other than noting that currently, when you crash, your captaincy is not always retained.

• @lem0n-curry that's good to know, see, I already thought it was a feature kinda like hitreg 😂

• @avacadobeard244 said in Passing the Captains hat when leaving a server:

@papatankers2041 that entire section was used as an example and does not have much to do with the idea other than noting that currently, when you crash, your captaincy is not always retained.

I do agree with you. I just thought it was silly point to make by mrburnbacon so I wanted to point it out.

There should be a timer in which captain should be able to rejoin the session and retrain the ship as captained one. Or else if you get rare'd, then loosing captained boat status would just add insult to the injury.

• @papatankers2041 oh okay xD yea @burnbacon prides himself on his ridiculous comments on other peoples' ideas. He's gotten rather good at reaching for negative things to say

• well it should be implemented
    i mean, when stoick died in httyd 2, hiccup became the leader of berk.
    the hat passes
    if a player gets injured in football, a substitute comes in.

• @crowedhunter said in Passing the Captains hat when leaving a server:

I would be equally mad if I disconnected and rejoined to find my Jackdaw in the hands of another.

duuude the jackdaw returns!! thats awesome.. "She's not a boat, she's a ship"

• I think it'd be neat if you could assign someone in your current crew to be your first mate, so if you disappear (say you get dc'd and are having issues coming back) they can continue on as "captain" in your stead and still have milestones rank up or even if youre around can have trinket privileges if you have those limited. The firstmate wouldnt be able assign further roles so if youre both gone, thats it, which should cut down on worries about cheesing.

IMO itd be a fun way to add a little bit of roleplay while also giving yourself an extra cushion if some freak disconnect situation occurs or if you want to get off early but your friends want to keep playing and youre all invested in the progress of one ship as a crew etc etc.

• @crowedhunter even more impressive that u came up with all that on your own

• This is how it should have been and I would actually be playing if it were the case. Dont see why you cant just goto the shipwright and vote in a new captain

• I'd like this for a different (and probably just personal) reason...

I have farm chores that need to be done every 3 hrs in the high heat of summer... And sometimes a voyage takes longer than that... Or I plan on playing longer than that... but chores take longer sometimes than captain whatever beard likes, so I get booted. And even if I come back and join my friend's game, because we sail on my ship, there no longer any captaincy or milestones unless we leave and come back and start over...

Would love to let him keep the captaincy, or be able to reattain it if I join back to the game? Idk...

Views
communityjust for funfeedbackgeneral
19 out of 20