Top 3 Captaincy Issues

• @googoodan
    Hmm. I didn't know there were letter case issues. Honestly, I feel like the case issues should be fixed rather than renaming it be made cheaper/free.

• @mr-whaletoes said in Top 3 Captaincy Issues:

@googoodan
    Hmm. I didn't know there were letter case issues. Honestly, I feel like the case issues should be fixed rather than renaming it be made cheaper/free.

That's a valid suggestion, but as of right now neither is an option. The only option is to give Rare money because they overlooked different alphabets. That's why people are complaining.

• Here's one that no one talks about, being a ship captain announces to enemy crews when your ship is nearby

• @kozakderg said in Top 3 Captaincy Issues:

burnbacon said in Top 3 Captaincy Issues:

Remember Kids, You do not have to do any of the hard stuff if you deem them difficult. (Drink Grog or sleep) silly as people always pick those as examples.

@galactic-geek I can collect some more of this person's comments if you would like. just because you are an Insider, does not give you the right to belittle people and calling everyone on the forum who have had negative experience and shared constructive feedback, derogatory terms, which in this case is derogatory, implying everyone having raised concerns on the forum is immature.

I have seen other insiders have a way worse attitude towards people who disagree with the current update. It's honestly a shame that some were given this title.

Me, an Insider? I wish!

1. Who is Captain?: Make it so ship milestones progress every crew member's ship of the same class (galleon, brig, sloop) if they own one in that class. The fact that it doesn't is already leading to a lot of toxicity over whose ship gets used. Everyone wants to progress their ship and only a fraction of people can with the current system, leading to a lot of division in the community. The current system is not good for game/community health and needs to change. A system also needs to be implemented to control changing captains/ships in game (while staying within the same ship class of course), especially after the captain leaves.

This notion of captain becomes even more frustrating when you consider, if you get d/c from your session and come back in, you are no longer registered as the captain. The toxicity grows with this when playing with a random crew. So are we to assume my logs are accurate if my ship is playing within 2 or more sessions? The list of concerns with the whole system continues given they clearly didn't think this through.

• @thund3rstruck57
    After checked around a bit I still agree with the captain. If the captain leaves, give us the option to vote a new captain and you need to scuttle the previous ship to get the new captains ship for the milestones.

What I can accept more is the seperated milestones between ship and pirate. Since the ship one don´t give any reward, it´s just a way to show-off your ship...I can understand it being seperate. But I still think your progression on the pirate milestones should count even if you are on a non-captain ship. Since the bar is so fricking high anyway, you need all the progress you can get.

• @thund3rstruck57 said in Top 3 Captaincy Issues:

These are the top 3 structural issues with this update that not only I have, but that I've heard across the game socials and in game from other players as well. The prevalence of these issues being talked about makes it clear that they all need to be addressed and changes made. Bugs are intentionally excluded from this list.

1. Ship Renaming Deed: Charging real money to rename a ship is disgusting. It definitely crosses a line. Cosmetics are fine, but charging real money for something that amounts to a quality of life feature is ridiculous. Remove it and make renaming a ship cost gold.

2. Who is Captain?: Make it so ship milestones progress every crew member's ship of the same class (galleon, brig, sloop) if they own one in that class. The fact that it doesn't is already leading to a lot of toxicity over whose ship gets used. Everyone wants to progress their ship and only a fraction of people can with the current system, leading to a lot of division in the community. The current system is not good for game/community health and needs to change. A system also needs to be implemented to control changing captains/ships in game (while staying within the same ship class of course), especially after the captain leaves.

3. Milestones: The new milestones have ridiculous requirements and aren't retroactive, which is a slap in the face to anyone that played the game before this update. The requirements should be more reasonable and even then, the overwhelming majority of players still won't have a significant number of them completed immediately. They'll still have plenty of stuff to grind for and their deeds up to this point will be taken into account and respected.

Hopefully Rare fixes these clearly glaring issues with this update quickly because many players are not happy.

There's really only 1 issue with the captaincy update, and it's the same issue I've had with Sea of Thieves for a while now:
    I have a job and also a girlfriend whom I love, and both of these mean I don't get to play very often.
    Out of the two, I only begrudge the job, although it allows me to buy my girlfriend nice things sooooo.... I guess all things in balance.

At any rate, your "woes".

1. Disgusting? Wow. I've never really been one to say anyone is entitled, but jeepers this comes close. They want to ensure that people don't spam change their ship name for whatever reason. Targeted harassment, impersonating others, whatever. This is a system designed to mostly lock players into a ship-name and they can change it if they feel strongly about the change, but not do it willy-nilly and not really be able to do it to target specific players or anything. Imagine playing the game and Iget sunk by a ship and the next time I see them their ship is named "MaximusArael020 is a Noob" or whatever. It just leaves too much open for targeted harassment. Also, they want the ship to feel like it is really yours, and really a specific ship, so changing the name constantly would just be bad for that feeling they are trying to get.

2. The problem is that players are whiney and can't share? I think this could have been fixed with better parenting, honestly. The Ship milestones are per the ship because they want to tell the particular story of that ship. The Pirate Milestones are shared because it tells the story of your crew. I don't honestly see the problem here. If people can't handle switching out their ship every session, then they probably shouldn't be playing a cooperative game with friends because it sounds like they don't know how to share.

3. The milestone requirements seem daunting, however since they've only been out a week we have yet to see how hard they actually are to achieve. It's important to note that again, they are meant to be the story of your particular ship and not "earn all the milestones in a month". Some people won't get any of the fishing milestones, or the sleeping ones, because they don't fish or sleep in game. And that's ok! It's supposed to be a specific story of your ship and crew and what activities you like to do, not a complete-a-thon. And if the milestones are too extreme, then Rare will change them accordingly. They need data to base these off of, not just the immediate untested response of the most prolific forum-goers. They'll look at the data and make changes accordingly. Think they don't do that? Look at how they increased sloop mast health, created more spawn locations on the sloop, took away resurrecting boarders. These were all changes the community discussed and wanted, and they looked at how people were playing and their experiences and then went based off of that. I'm guessing there will be tweaks with those changes along the way, as well as tweaks to the Milestones and Captaincy as well.

burnbacon said in Top 3 Captaincy Issues:

Remember Kids, You do not have to do any of the hard stuff if you deem them difficult. (Drink Grog or sleep) silly as people always pick those as examples.

@galactic-geek I can collect some more of this person's comments if you would like. just because you are an Insider, does not give you the right to belittle people and calling everyone on the forum who have had negative experience and shared constructive feedback, derogatory terms, which in this case is derogatory, implying everyone having raised concerns on the forum is immature.

I have seen other insiders have a way worse attitude towards people who disagree with the current update. It's honestly a shame that some were given this title.

Funny as YOU are the one I see trying to belittle and gaslight people's differing opinions by bringing up irrelevant stats on their card to somehow undermine their VALID opinions and views. Then you carry on this prejudice against Insiders as well, thinking YOU have the right to decide who is worthy of being an Insider. That is disgusting and highly manipulative!

• Yea basically I think the only change we will see here is they might reduce the milestone numbers but they wont count anything retroactively. As this update makes you not want to play with others as you would be losing progress on your own ship its killed group play for me. And honestly I just see something like this happening again in the future where they will add more content ignoring our past accomplishments. Im over it. I have only logged in about 10 times since the update. decorated each one of my ship with the awful selection of cosmetics they sell us, they look so boring and bland because all the cool stuff is locked. In on my 8th login my ship had its saved cosmetics removed. I thought other people just didnt know how to save them properly but nope its a bug. Maybe they should have actually tried to test this update. Their focus has obviously been elsewhere. This update was delayed 7 weeks to come out as a buggy mess. Think it might be time for me to put the game to rest for good. Its just a shame theres no other pirate/sailing/treasure hunting game that feels and plays like sea of thieves. Yea there are other pirate games but nothing comes close to what Rare has built here. I just dont know what they are thinking with some of these choices. Wish they still did Developer updates on youtube to at least keep the players informed as to their mindset on things... Though that wont help if they come up with some flawed concepts like invalidating thousands of hours of player progress

• @dlchief58 said in Top 3 Captaincy Issues:

Funny as YOU are the one I see trying to belittle and gaslight people's differing opinions by bringing up irrelevant stats on their card to somehow undermine their VALID opinions and views. Then you carry on this prejudice against Insiders as well, thinking YOU have the right to decide who is worthy of being an Insider. That is disgusting and highly manipulative!

I'm sorry if it looks like to you that I try to gaslight people's different opinions, I rarely belittle anyone unless I am met with the same kind of attitude, because a borrowed bread is paid back as they say. Ok, you're an Insider, you played 37 weeks, congrats you care enough about the game to test some builds, you could also have just played 1 hour everyday for 37 weeks to get the cosmetics for being an Insider. That doesn't necessarily mean your words are now sacred and to be agreed on every time. You can also be wrong sometimes.

This person has never once acknowledged the issues very wrong with the new update and multiple times I have seen short responses, sometimes even borderline rude, as if the person they are talking to is so inferior it's almost not worth their time to explain things in a kinder and more elaborate attitude.

But ok, I am the one gas-lighting and manipulating people here.

Overwhelming evidence from the community shows that there is something wrong with the milestones, at least some of them. It should not be ignored and people complaining about it, be shut down for whatever reasons.

• @KozakDerg

Why aren't you an insider?
    (I can't keep my mouth shut about the nda stuff personally lol)

I'm okay with charging for a name change. But 5$? Thats seems excessive. I had plans on switching names based on cosmetics for several ship themes/setups I do. Yikes. Guess I'll be cheering classes so I can buy more ships.

I guess 🤨

Pirate potion should be 5
    Rename should be 1.50 instead lol

• @galactic-geek as someone who championed a prestige system alot in the forum, no this is not a prestige system nor is it comparible. i dont know if your misinterpreting it because of lack of knowledge or on purpose. but to be clear this is nothing like what a prestige system would have brought to the game

• @greatfailure82 said in Top 3 Captaincy Issues:

@galactic-geek as someone who championed a prestige system alot in the forum, no this is not a prestige system nor is it comparible. i dont know if your misinterpreting it because of lack of knowledge or on purpose. but to be clear this is nothing like what a prestige system would have brought to the game

Why isn't it? You level up, it takes a really long time, and you can start over whenever you want. Seems like a prestige system to me!

• 1, previous gains aren't discounted, your going from prestige 1 to whatever meaning that most accomplishment still count. a prestige system never lets you start over whenever you want totally fresh you past accomplishments are always there
    2, no one asked for grinds like be on fire for 100 hours. ok sure there are decent commendations in there also but no one asked to black screen sleep, sit on a stool or be on fire for 100 hours

• @pithyrumble said in Top 3 Captaincy Issues:

@KozakDerg
    Why aren't you an insider?
    (I can't keep my mouth shut about the nda stuff personally lol)

Only 130hrs on record but I already got so invested into the game that I spend the majority of my free time playing it or learning more about it through other content creator's videos and such. Not sure if I would want to be an Insider though. Feels like I would have to be devoted to the game for a long time and who knows if I stop playing it. I passionately played Dead by Daylight before, but that era is over. Who knows it might happen with SoT or not.

I'm okay with charging for a name change. But 5$? Thats seems excessive. I had plans on switching names based on cosmetics for several ship themes/setups I do. Yikes. Guess I'll be cheering classes so I can buy more ships.

Charging in-game gold instead of Ancient Coins would have been more fair to those who do not have the spare funds (trust me, for some, even 5$ can be just about too much not to spend on it). Microsoft and Rare gets more than enough from the monthly ship sales and the myriad of other stuff that's on the emporium already, the ability to change character or ship name slapped on there feels like an insult.

@dlchief58 said in Top 3 Captaincy Issues:

I'm sorry if it looks like to you that I try to gaslight people's different opinions, I rarely belittle anyone unless I am met with the same kind of attitude, because a borrowed bread is paid back as they say. Ok, you're an Insider, you played 37 weeks, congrats you care enough about the game to test some builds, you could also have just played 1 hour everyday for 37 weeks to get the cosmetics for being an Insider. That doesn't necessarily mean your words are now sacred and to be agreed on every time. You can also be wrong sometimes.

This person has never once acknowledged the issues very wrong with the new update and multiple times I have seen short responses, sometimes even borderline rude, as if the person they are talking to is so inferior it's almost not worth their time to explain things in a kinder and more elaborate attitude.

But ok, I am the one gas-lighting and manipulating people here.

Overwhelming evidence from the community shows that there is something wrong with the milestones, at least some of them. It should not be ignored and people complaining about it, be shut down for whatever reasons.

Sir, respectfully, what he is saying is not that rude. Maybe a bit stubborn, but I don't think he's a bad guy. Sometimes you just can't convince people of things, whether it is opinion or fact. He doesnt have to adress these issues. He isn't rare. And technically speaking, he isn't wrong. Neither are you right. That's the very defenition of an opinon.
    Sorry if I seemed a bit like Im trying to defend someone who doesnt need defending, but it seems to me you and him (and a lot of others) are coming on way too strong.
    From The Real Webber

• Personally I don't view the Ship Renaming Deed in the Emporium to be predatory.

I view the Emporium almost like a substitution to a paid membership in an MMO. For a live service game that continuously fixes previous and present bugs whilst simultaneously working on future content and demands, that's a lot of teams/divisions that have to be paid for. That also includes upholding demanding servers in various regions of the world.

To think Microsoft, this global corporation can easily fund Rare's endeavors is understandable, but that's not how these businesses operate. It's a necessary evil that, as this game continues to grow, shiny/eye-catching cosmetics are added monthly to the Emporium much to the player's chagrin.

At the end of the day, of course Rare is a business that has to pay it's employees and rake in revenue. But I'm so tired of this narrative that all companies are soulless. Rare is very passionate about their craft, otherwise we wouldn't be playing their game.

• @barberrrrrr That's a really wholesome take. It's refreshing to see. :)

• @barberrrrrr said in Top 3 Captaincy Issues:

Personally I don't view the Ship Renaming Deed in the Emporium to be predatory.

What I find predatory is this:

• Pirate Appearance Potion: 149 Ancient Coins
    • Ship Renaming Deed: 499 Ancient Coins
  • @thund3rstruck57 Yes, yes, and yes.

Wyświetlenia
communityfeedback
54 z 55