Where do the people at the outpost live?

• to be honest, I have always wondered this.

Do they just. Live in the tavern? It makes no sense because the shops they have are way to small to be even considered a house. And I dont think i would want to live right above the most loud place on the island most likely.

게시물
    조회 수
  • @lightflake

See, you're assuming they have off-time. I've visited the outposts at all hours of the day (and night), and the people there never abandon their posts.

It's almost as though they're stuck in purgatory, and we are there to punish them for their previous transgressions!
    alt text

...or maybe living spaces aren't crucial to Rare's visual style. There aren't any toilets anywhere either!

• @limbicfanatic maybe they should move around? the islands feel so dead and emotionless when you are always doing the same thing. And there is no normal npc's so you are just on an island,

All Alone. Not even a person walking around other than your own crew.

• @lightflake said in Where do the people at the outpost live?:

@limbicfanatic maybe they should move around? the islands feel so dead and emotionless when you are always doing the same thing. And there is no normal npc's so you are just on an island,

All Alone. Not even a person walking around other than your own crew.

What you suggest would be a good thing for a single player game, or even a multiplayer game where your rewards are tied to the completion of objectives themselves.

Sea of Thieves, though, is different. You receive the majority of your rewards from turning in your items to NPCs.

Sometimes, you have to turn things in under pressure. Have you ever been chased to an outpost and barely managed to turn in a high-value item seconds before your pursuers caught up to you? Under your proposed system, you'd have to first locate the NPC because they weren't were they were supposed to be. I don't know about you, but most people (myself included) would be very upset if we lost an important item because we couldn't find the NPC in time.

The need for consistency in NPC locations almost always outweighs the desire for a more life-like social area.

• @limbicfanatic So, what if there was npc's that just roamed the island? they would just be able to make them roam around the island and react to their environment instead of having the faction npc's move.

• I agree with @limbicfanatic that removing NPCs and having them have day/night or pathing cycles really only makes sense when you want to discourage interactivity during certain periods of time. In Sea of Thieves, you've got to be able to race to turn in treasure since, after all, treasure isn't really yours until you've cashed it out.

However, I'd go a step further and say, in effect, the People at the Outpost DO live in the buildings that they inhabit. Most of the buildings have second floors or cordoned off sections where, using our imagination, we can assume are the sleeping quarters for the characters. For example, the Castaway Camp has an entire shack where some of the Pirate's Life NPCs sleep. The Tavern has a second floor, inaccessible from the inside (but easily accessible outside). Gold Hoarder and Order of Souls tents have deeper quarters that fade to black. And so on and so forth.

What I definitely do think would be valuable, though, is new settlement types, like Pirate Cities that show a seaside port-town with lots of varied and thematic structures. Or Pirate-run Fortresses/Castles.

@limbicfanatic So, what if there was npc's that just roamed the island? they would just be able to make them roam around the island and react to their environment instead of having the faction npc's move.

That would address my original concern, but I still doubt it would be implemented because it would require a lot of dev time to create something that doesn't increase the number of tools players have access to.

To use the upcoming season as an example, the cannon rowboats, island lifts, and buried treasure will all increase player options and allow new strategies to develop. What do wandering npc's add, beyond a visual feeling of immersion?

• They just stay there

@limbicfanatic So, what if there was npc's that just roamed the island? they would just be able to make them roam around the island and react to their environment instead of having the faction npc's move.

That they can definately do

게시물
조회 수
9 중의 8