[Mega Thread] Sea of Thieves: The Arena

• @savagetwinky Fortnite created PVP according to the internet. And if you included PVP in your game, you have ripped off Fortnite. Doom in 1993 ripped off Fortnite and is Battle Royale.

• @savagetwinky I edited my post so my intent is a little bit more clear. The GIF wasn't working had to fix it, lol. I think a lot of us vocal members of the pvp community had similar thoughts, and I'm glad to see people like yourself articulating our side of the argument as well as you have.

more darth vader gifs

• @savagetwinky said in [Mega Thread] Sea of Thieves: The Arena:

@enf0rcer said in [Mega Thread] Sea of Thieves: The Arena:

Well i agree that PvP and PvE elements don't mix well in this game. I disagree that with your belief that they couldn't be made it mix well. I see the problem steming from poor implementation weather the a conceptual flaw. The dynamics where simply to underdeveloped. You think that the only viable option was to keep them seperate but this is the lack of Vision. To try and explore new possibilities then stick to conventional trends.

Again, I don't see this as a split or a departure from their core idea. I consider "adventure mode" something they are now stuck with because you can't really change the fundamentals of a game mode everyone already bought.

If you still don't see the departure from the core idea then you simply have a different interpretation of the Idea because you simply looking at it from a particular experiance. There nothing wrong with that but no amount of expliantion can describe to you an experiance that would lead to an understanding. It's simply a truth in which you must experiance for yourself to understand.

Frist off I already explianed why this is damaging in the long term in an early post. Secondly Rare created a false impression of what PvP and PvE was. Calling it a SWAG. We never truly got a goonies style adventure. We never got a Sea constantly populated with new players. We never got the Sea of Theives that was advertised. What we have is a loot grinder wrap in a Pvp arena with no reason to steal loot. The playerbase was not the problem the game and it's advertisment was.

Arena is basically most of that though. I don't know what you mean by goonies style adventure. The game mode was bad because of the dead time it created and it ended up pulling in to many "progression" based PvE focused people. The advertising was fine. The arena... is still a shared world adventure game. Your still getting maps, your still playing along side a bunch of other people, you can still avoid/confront players. They were talking about that today.

No it isn't. Not in the slightest. While yes it is still a Shared World game it's not the unique kind of PvEvP. As for the Goonies, its a reference to a classic 80's movie. As a gameplay style it would be considered a dungeon crawl adventure. Imagin if a voyage was like a raid where you get a map and you had to go find a secret entrance on an insland and you have to go through a series of stages by solving riddles and puzzles get through or around Boobytraps and eviromental hazards in order to find a lengendary pirates most valued stash. Also the riddles and puzzles solutions were tied to the Captian lore.

Pirates were con artist to. They were also buisness men. The whole pirate persona is centered around their cunning and wittness. Think of Jack Sparrow. As a personality and a sterotype.
    You sure about that buddy cause i think you have a narrow view of what a pirate is. Were there Cut Throats sure there were but not all.

This has nothing to do with anything. This is just BS. Piracy is the act of attacking and robbing ships at see. As a gameplay function its competition over some valuable resource one player is already holding.

Like i said this is a narrow view. Yes Pirating is the act of Robbing ships at sea. There just different methods then just rolling up on a ship with your and putting guns and cannon to their heads. Pirating is about Stealing Not Killing. Generally a good pirate avoids direct confrontations.

They didn't con people. They threatened people on the seas and took their stuff either through compliance or murder. Jack sparrow is an invention. He's not based on any real pirate.

This is a game based on Pirate Fantasy, Jack Sparrow yes is made up like most other pirate stories. Thats the point he is a sterotype. A romanticise version of what people think is a pirate.
    Even real Pirates Like Blackbeard who was a former navel officer avioded direct combat and instead used both deplomacy and stratergy to get what he wanted.

Thats one Method but it's not the sole method. What about the Pirate ninjas in the community or did you forget about them. Or the the dirty alliance backstabbers.

No thats still competition. Your supposed to be vigilante and protect your loot, or take someone elses. It doesn't matter if your doing it under their noses or over their corpses... your still taking their stuff and they are losing it. I don't see why you think this distinction matters?

Cause Distinction matter. Your only focused on the Result and not the Process. The experiance is in the journey not the destination. Besides you said you want player to have options. That what i want to do give them a options thru varing senarios. This mode only gives you one.

At best all that means is arena will become the defualt more while OG Sot will be left to wither away abandoned and forgotten.

Right... so a redesign without kicking sand into people's faces that are enjoying the more casual space.

Well i'm sure many hear will agree that Rare just threw sand into some of their most dedicated fans faces with this annoucement.

Yes this game has a diverse set of players. But it player spawn killing for planks was an issue caused by Rare poor disicions. I know cause i'm one of them. They made it so ships had nothing worth stealing except supplies and they made it so if i sunk the ship i couldn't get the supplies. They made me have to kill in order to steal.

That's not an issue. You can scuttle. The problem is solved already. The only thing that gets in the way of this working is people's pride and opting in to getting spawn camped.

Yeah but think about that for a sec. The most skilled player scuttle when they know they lost. So the only ones that won't are the ones that don't know to scuttle. Those player go on the forums to complian about the griefing. They are then informed they should have scuttle. You see the herent flaw there. The skilled player is best served to made to sink the ship to get the supplies easier. That way any spawn killing when they have no loot can be directly connected to greifing and be reported.

This is My main concern right there. There are much better games to be played. What does SoT have to offer. A mouth full of hype and a bag full of broken promises and crush dreams. Nah Man they got nothing of subtances. All the same flaws will be there. Hey may i'm wrong and they'll fix the game. I come back and we can chat a have a laf how i was so wrong a paranoid.

SoT has unique and amazing PvP. No BR stands up to this title when this its hitting its stride. Hell multiple big streamers were all ready to board the SoT train and it flopped hard because the amount of PvE only players caused a disastrous scenario where everyone was either bored looking for a fight or frustrated losing their loot.

I only Hope so but I can see the writing wall. Only time will tell. Hope for the best,but plan for the worst thats my philosophy. Etheir the SOT that me and other came for just got it's experation notices. This was not the news we wanted to hear.

Look the way i see it There are only 2 possible outcomes.

1. All the PvP'er and harcore player come to arena more leaving a shallow PvE server for noobs and casuals to play in showing all it's flaws as grind will be quick and mind numbing easy. Which may get some of those player to try arena mode. Making it the defualt mode which player are gonning to know for sure just how unbalanced and simplistic PvP is.

2. A sample of dedicate PvP player still engage in Adventure mode which will agian cause casual to complian as it does not solve the issue and Most of the PvP base that came just for arena will bounce to better games like Black Wake and Skull and Bones.

One of these is clearly the best case senario while the other is the worst. Etheir way the Sot That i wanted is dead.

The PvP is fine. Its really not that simplistic. The vast majority of good FPS games are far more simplistic as there are no ships/resources/PvE elements. And even then the differences between the weapons are enough that there are really good tactics to use and different ways of approaching enemies.

Well i'm gald you think so. Lets hear what other have to say about that.

Again this is what SoT is offering compared to the plethora of copy pasta BR game types. If it wasn't for the stupid amount of dead time, and diluting the player base with docile puppies the game would have done much much better. At least from a critical standpoint that kept the fun and engaging aspect right on the horizon.

I blame Rare and there Alliance system for the Docile Puppies i came from a time when the Sea were cold, harsh and unforging. They made it all warn with sunshines and rainbows. Then turn up the heat to 11 and made us all take flame balls death to the face. It went from the treat coming from the players to the Enviroment. They Never Found The Balance. Now i'm sure they never will.

• @tedakin doom was multiplayer? I remember the storymode. Maybe I never clicked on that mode.

Goldeneye and Perfect Dark were the first pvp games I remember playing. Neither of which were a battle royale.

In response to the others who hate the idea,
    Minecraft has many servers with different game modes and the original game is still being played. We are 10 years in with minecraft.
    Suddenly, there are many chicken littles.
    Enjoy the ride. Barrels didnt kill the game, I doubt this will either.

• @tedakin if Sea of thieves does copy fortnite, I'd like a new dance move to go with my jig.
    I can't dance to the beat of my shipmates tunes.

• @tedakin said in [Mega Thread] Sea of Thieves: The Arena:

@gow-fluid The volcanoes are that threat.

Volcanoes are not an "AI Threat".

• @d-jaguar Yeah it had deathmatch. I'm old so I remember. We played it a lot back then.

• Seriously though. What's the point of this thread? How are we supposed to give feedback on something we haven't even seen gameplay from? We don't even have a full explanation of how it's supposed to work.

• @dark-henrik-22 said in [Mega Thread] Sea of Thieves: The Arena:

@x-Crowheart-x @GOW-fluid @Trickrtreat01 Is there anything in Sea of Thieves that you guys like? even with the stuff that Rare have just talked about will be released in Shrouded Spoils in the Mixer livestream, i'm getting the feeling that you guys will still say "boring, where is the real content, Rare?".

I never asked for content. I just don't want this to turn in to a pve only game or have pve and pvp servers.

• @enf0rcer said in [Mega Thread] Sea of Thieves: The Arena:

If you still don't see the departure from the core idea then you simply have a different interpretation of the Idea because you simply looking at it from a particular experiance. There nothing wrong with that but no amount of expliantion can describe to you an experiance that would lead to an understanding. It's simply a truth in which you must experiance for yourself to understand.

Well so do you. If you can't describe your not talking about anything tangible.

No it isn't. Not in the slightest. While yes it is still a Shared World game it's not the unique kind of PvEvP. As for the Goonies, its a reference to a classic 80's movie. As a gameplay style it would be considered a dungeon crawl adventure. Imagin if a voyage was like a raid where you get a map and you had to go find a secret entrance on an insland and you have to go through a series of stages by solving riddles and puzzles get through or around Boobytraps and eviromental hazards in order to find a lengendary pirates most valued stash. Also the riddles and puzzles solutions were tied to the Captian lore.

I mean I don't know what you mean by a "gooneis style adventure". I know the movie. That movie had nothing to do about pirates really apart from there being a pirate ship. And they never promised a dungeon crawl game. I don't know why you'd call it a goonies style adventure.

Like i said this is a narrow view. Yes Pirating is the act of Robbing ships at sea. There just different methods then just rolling up on a ship with your and putting guns and cannon to their heads. Pirating is about Stealing Not Killing. Generally a good pirate avoids direct confrontations.

And they all are competition with another person. Competition isn't all direct confrontations. Remember this is a GAME. Its just using piracy as a way to frame competition amoung players.

This is a game based on Pirate Fantasy, Jack Sparrow yes is made up like most other pirate stories. Thats the point he is a sterotype. A romanticise version of what people think is a pirate.

Even real Pirates Like Blackbeard who was a former navel officer avioded direct combat and instead used both deplomacy and stratergy to get what he wanted.

Jack sparrow is 100% made up character. This has nothing to do with anything and your argument here is completely pointless.

Cause Distinction matter. Your only focused on the Result and not the Process. The experiance is in the journey not the destination. Besides you said you want player to have options. That what i want to do give them a options thru varing senarios. This mode only gives you one.

The distinction doesn't matter. Getting the most amount of loot is competition. Taking something from someone else is a type of competition that is intrinsic to this game. Regardless of the way you take it. And your wrong, you can steal and sneak, and potentially work with another crew to stop a better ship.. why can't you? Your putting arbitrary limitations that make no sense.

Well i'm sure many hear will agree that Rare just threw sand into some of their most dedicated fans faces with this annoucement.

But they didn't. There is a very small few people that are irrationally holding on to some idea about how amazing this idea they have in their had that they can't even articulate.

Yeah but think about that for a sec. The most skilled player scuttle when they know they lost. So the only ones that won't are the ones that don't know to scuttle. Those player go on the forums to complian about the griefing. They are then informed they should have scuttle. You see the herent flaw there. The skilled player is best served to made to sink the ship to get the supplies easier. That way any spawn killing when they have no loot can be directly connected to greifing and be reported.

No. Its fun to loot the ship. Thats the fun of PvP. There is no flaw that there is some gameplay that requires you to keep the ship afloat so you can pillage it. And while your pillaging your not going to be spawn camping 100% so they'll be able to resist.

I only Hope so but I can see the writing wall. Only time will tell. Hope for the best,but plan for the worst thats my philosophy. Etheir the SOT that me and other came for just got it's experation notices. This was not the news we wanted to hear.

What writing on the wall? There are TONS of people just gritting their teeth and continually trying to get back month 1 pvp because it was the greatest game ever made. People left for 2 reasons, boredom or frustration. The PvP issue is easier to solve and the only effective way to solve it is limit the objectives so everyone is playing PvPvE and there is no players who won't participate in a match. That's the current problem with PvP... there are players that do not want to participate and it makes the game worse. There is no reconciling that in a SWAG. They need to have distinct focuses of the type of adventures that are created because the mix is the problem. This is why bounty/hording will not work because you can't guarantee that any one will care. You need to make fighting something players have to choose to do. An incentive over dozens of other ways to make money means people can opt out but take up space. Shared worlds work if its a shared goals for players to either fight over, or work towards.

Well i'm gald you think so. Lets hear what other have to say about that.

Summit/Shroud and many other big streamers were playing this game and were super excited about it pre-release. Week 1 proved to be hard to curate the things they were excited about. And it flopped hard.

I blame Rare and there Alliance system for the Docile Puppies i came from a time when the Sea were cold, harsh and unforging. They made it all warn with sunshines and rainbows. Then turn up the heat to 11 and made us all take flame balls death to the face. It went from the treat coming from the players to the Enviroment. They Never Found The Balance. Now i'm sure they never will.

It'll be alot easier now.

• @personalc0ffee I think the progression in said game will make SOT look like a toy box though

• @trickrtreat01 said in [Mega Thread] Sea of Thieves: The Arena:

@dark-henrik-22 said in [Mega Thread] Sea of Thieves: The Arena:

@x-Crowheart-x @GOW-fluid @Trickrtreat01 Is there anything in Sea of Thieves that you guys like? even with the stuff that Rare have just talked about will be released in Shrouded Spoils in the Mixer livestream, i'm getting the feeling that you guys will still say "boring, where is the real content, Rare?".

I never asked for content. I just don't want this to turn in to a pve only game or have pve and pvp servers.

At least its PvP and MORE PvP servers.

• I would agree alliances killed a big portion of pvp encounters. I still say dial that back. But I’ll be giving the arena a go for sure. And like many, I have concerns about continued development of the Sea of Thieves. Only been here since release, but Im here for the long run. I still love you Rare.

• DON'T PANIC.

Sheesh, people can really be alarmists. :)

Rare is defending the core game (by refusing to make it more of a PvP focus in the adventure game) while also recognizing that constant PvP engagement is also a fun thing that can be done with this game (and which also happens to be a major request from a significant amount of players).
    I love the game as it currently is, but I think the Arena is going to be a fun addition and won't negatively impact the Adventure game.

Yay! More fun! More continued fun! Why are people so upset?? :D

• @wkd1337 said in [Mega Thread] Sea of Thieves: The Arena:

@savagetwinky I edited my post so my intent is a little bit more clear. The GIF wasn't working had to fix it, lol. I think a lot of us vocal members of the pvp community had similar thoughts, and I'm glad to see people like yourself articulating our side of the argument as well as you have.

Honestly I haven't heard many people use this specific idea of shared maps... usual BR, formalized fort hop, bounties, reaper/broadcast loot, hoarding mechanics were the popular ones. So I was really surprised hearing their description... I'm like I remember typing some of those words on your forum!

If they would have released this game exactly like it was but with some sort of shared voyages so the shared world had shared and finite loot it would have gotten a completely different reception. That would have made other players a core part of doing any voyage. Completely frames loot as an objective to get from other players (either before they pick it up.. or after) vs more like playing a PvE game where other players can disrupt your progress or outright negate it by stealing the reward for your work.

• This is exactly what Sea of Thieves needs honestly. Making a video game then telling us to make our own fun was a bad pitch. When I was bored as a child my mother would tell me to go make my own fun outside. Shouldnt have to make your own fun if you are having fun lol. The arena will bring something other than fetch quests and scuttling scrubdillion pirates. Roaming Skeleton ships will bring back the fort in adventure mode being the Primary "raid" where pvp usually gets involved heavily. This is probably Rares final chance to save something that was so special. Get rid of shared xp on alliances too. Its actually garbage and makes the game way to easy.

• @pdt-mindstream Ya, I am pretty shocked by the reactions I have read. I saw the trailer and was actually pretty hyped.

Don't get me wrong. I LOVE the current game. I don't rush my Athena's voyages. I take things slow. But some nights I don't get on because I simply don't have the time for a long night of sailing. The game's full release has sometimes been a b****r for me because in testing when the servers were shut down I felt rushed to get stuff done. It made the sessions pretty intense sometimes (particularly if I was trying to rob someone).

But if this is what I think it is. I think it will be a blast! @KnifeLife if you need a decent Gunner's mate lemme know.

• @ecljpse Yeah that's my feeling. I love SOT but it is extremely slow obviously. You go 3 hours with nothing happening. This seems like they're gonna compact it all and it's going to be just crazy with fog and storms and maybe even megs and everything pushed up to 11 in a huge treasure hunt. It sounds exciting to me and what the game needs. People say this will kill the game. I feel refusing to let the game evolve will kill it way faster.

• @tedakin A game mode where everyone has the same maps. OH man that is going to be HILARIOUS. Especially if it is only 1 chest per X etc. Limited amount of loot and the whole server fighting over it. I need more details on this mode like ASAP lol. The more I think of it the more excited I get. MWUAHAHAA

• @pdt-mindstream said in [Mega Thread] Sea of Thieves: The Arena:

Yay! More fun! More continued fun! Why are people so upset?? :D

You may think they are overreacting, but why they are upset is pretty easy to understand.

Adding a new game mode WILL affect the existing one. Splitting development between the two, what kind of players might it attract, what impact will they have in Adventure if they start playing around there, etc.

It will cause changes. What kinds of change and to what extent is unknown, but there are enough negative examples available that some of the cynicism is understandable, even if you don't agree with it.

Personally, I'm in for the long haul, so I'm not going anywhere. Zero interest in Arena, but if it leaves me alone, then whatever.

I seem to be more, if not optimistic, then at least more zen about these things than most, but I can fully understand why some people view this news as troubling.

• I gotta say,
    A lot of negative thoughts here for something no one has played yet or seen any gameplay other than the normal gameplay we’ve come to see in sea of thieves.
    Some major concerns I’m gonna hit right off the bat. (This is my opinion and not facts)

1. “This is gonna take away from the vanilla sea of thieves experience”
      My opinion
      no, it’s just another options for players and a reason for some to come back. PvP arenas in world of Warcraft and many MMO doesn’t take away from the core experience, of just adds options.
    2. “This is nothing like the original dream of sea of thieves” the dream of sea of thieves is to live out YOUR pirate fantasy. for some that’s searching for treasure, finding out about the world, fighting mythological creatures, getting drunk and singing together, boarding and fighting each other and so many more. This is just another fantasy of some pirates to fight in fleets with their friends for an objective, something not easily done unless you talk to strangers that are kind enough to give up their ships.
    3. “This is too much like (INSERT POPULAR GAME HERE)”
      we have no idea what it is to be honest, but I DO know this is just one of the game modes they want to release in the arena.

New things are scary if handled incorrectly, be confident that rare listens to your guys feedback like CRAZY. Hopefully the next update addresses a lot of feedback that has been given.

Ps. I personally REAAAAAAAALY hope for a new game mode where you enter a goonies like, Randomly generated pirate dungeon/cave that has b***y traps and treasure at the end. Kind of like a cave of wonders from Aladdin met the goonies one eyed willy’s Treasure at the same time.

Just remember, this isn’t EA

• I gotta say,
    A lot of negative thoughts here for something no one has played yet or seen any gameplay other than the normal gameplay we’ve come to see in sea of thieves.
    Some major concerns I’m gonna hit right off the bat. (This is my opinion and not facts)

1. “This is gonna take away from the vanilla sea of thieves experience”
      My opinion
      no, it’s just another options for players and a reason for some to come back. PvP arenas in world of Warcraft and many MMO doesn’t take away from the core experience, of just adds options.
    2. “This is nothing like the original dream of sea of thieves” the dream of sea of thieves is to live out YOUR pirate fantasy. for some that’s searching for treasure, finding out about the world, fighting mythological creatures, getting drunk and singing together, boarding and fighting each other and so many more. This is just another fantasy of some pirates to fight in fleets with their friends for an objective, something not easily done unless you talk to strangers that are kind enough to give up their ships.
    3. “This is too much like (INSERT POPULAR GAME HERE)”
      we have no idea what it is to be honest, but I DO know this is just one of the game modes they want to release in the arena.

New things are scary if handled incorrectly, be confident that rare listens to your guys feedback like CRAZY. Hopefully the next update addresses a lot of feedback that has been given.

Ps. I personally REAAAAAAAALY hope for a new game mode where you enter a goonies like, Randomly generated pirate dungeon/cave that has b***y traps and treasure at the end. Kind of like a cave of wonders from Aladdin met the goonies one eyed willy’s Treasure at the same time

• I was recommended to post my original post here to this thread. So here it is!

Like a good number of pirates here, I am going to post my own personal opinion on the Arena. I am not going to argue with any of you over this, either like it or don't. Your opinions are your own and do not necessarily speak for everyone here. Neither does mine. I am simply posting what I think about it and nothing more. Feel free to leave your thoughts, but don't be a rotten bilge rat about it.

Now!

I think it is an absolute terrible idea. It's going to split the player base this game already has. Those who only play for pvp now have a dedicated game mode just for them. So why play normally when you aren't truly guaranteed a pvp encounter? And when they do? It'll be so lackluster for them, they'll get bored super easily. Which just takes away the excitement of the game.

It also means less and less pvp encounters are going to happen in the base game. Those who solely want to pvp will be in the Arena, so those who don't go there can relax a little bit more. Which shouldn't be a thing in this game. At all.

It will also draw in all those battle Royale fans. Don't get me wrong, I am all for bringing in new pirates to the game. It's a great game everyone should try, and I think we can all agree on that. But my concern is with the probability of them getting into the arena and playing a couple of rounds, just to get absolutely destroyed by us seasoned pirates. And let's face it, most of the people who are all about this battle royale craze are kids. Nothing against you, I swear. But what's a kid do when they get continously destroyed? They quit playing because they get salty... Which will in turn drop our player base once again.

There's also the aspect of this mode making the grind to PL less grindy. It'll make getting rich far easier. Which will undervalue the game's very base principle. The grind for PL shouldn't be any easier than it already is. Getting rich shouldn't be any easier than it already is.

So in short, this update will have a few good aspects to bring I'm sure. But to pretend it won't bring any negative aspects is foolish. This update could go good or very, very badly. There's no middle ground here at all.

I will, however concede a bit and say that perhaps I wouldn't be as uneasy about it if we had a few more updates first. A bigger raid than skeleton ships and strongholds perhaps. Maybe even a huge temple maze full of danger and wonder with an extremely valuable artifact at the end.

Simply put? Give us more content before you split us up like this.

For extra clarification, I do not speak for anyone besides myself here. The above is simply my own personal opinion coming from someone whose been playing since beta. Not as cool as a Founder, but I do know what I am talking about. I do know how to play the game. No, I am not salty and will continue to loot, kill, and sink like a pirate for Athena's Fortune should. And no, I don't expect you to agree with me. I just wanted to express my opinion for Rare to see potentially. And no, I don't expect them to care. But I love this game. It's my favorite game actually, so I had to do this.

• My sincere apologies to all those vessels i hunted down and attempted to grief yesterday.
    But myself and my crew are not the best at PVP and we need some more practice before The Arena arrives.. We will probably be behaving like this now until 2019.
    Look at what you have made us do Rare! I've got splinters in my splinters from repairing the ship.
    Anybody else going to start behaving like this out on the seas now?

• @needsmokes While the Arena is PVP. I think the goal of it is to see who collects the most. Rather then focus on combat if I were you I'd focus on clever steals, voyage planning, and less direct ways of getting loot. Just my thoughts hehehe

• @ecljpse If you were to see how many cannon balls we fire and how few actually make contact with the enemy you would understand our need for practice..
    Gathering treasure we are great at. Just keeping hold of it will be our challenge :)

• @needsmokes said in [Mega Thread] Sea of Thieves: The Arena:

@ecljpse If you were to see how many cannon balls we fire and how few actually make contact with the enemy you would understand our need for practice..
    Gathering treasure we are great at. Just keeping hold of it will be our challenge :)

Hahaha! :D
    My opinion, since launch, is cannon accuracy is possibly the most important, and least frequent, skill on the seas (of course, a good crew is made up of pirates with differing skills, so not everyone needs that one).

Still, try to be kind to those friendly sloops out there! (sink the unfriendly ones though!!)
    :D

• @v**a-hombre
    Oh, I understand the uncertainty, but (as always) I'm pretty sick of everyone thinking they know better than the professional artists working on this game. Their love, passion, and livelihood are bent around the work they do to make this game the best it can be.

I'm sick of people talking like they know better... all the time. While I feel comfortable with my opinion on the Arena (from what we know so far), I'm definitely tired of the overreactions and negativity around here. Bad day for that though, haha! :D

• @betsill said in [Mega Thread] Sea of Thieves: The Arena:

Seriously though. What's the point of this thread? How are we supposed to give feedback on something we haven't even seen gameplay from? We don't even have a full explanation of how it's supposed to work.

The point of the mega thread is to create a place where discussion of this new addition to the game can take place, it reduces the likelihood of multiple duplicate threads on the forums and it can easily be found/bookmarked/watched and read by developers, community and other interested parties as well as encouraging a debate which includes everyone's ideas and feelings around this new idea.

Having listened to the panel, a summary of which can be found via the link below, the feeling I get is that the Arena is a way to provide small condensed experiences of what might happen over a longer time period in the main game, for those who are time poor, who are looking for that more intense experience and who've been suggesting rewards or incentives for pvp.

I think we all come to this discussion with preconceived notions of what an 'Arena' is, what a 'mode' is, depending on our experiences and what we've seen in other games and this colours our ideas of what this might mean in Sea of Thieves.

If we take a step back and look at what was said yesterday I'm going to draw the following conclusions -

Rare are committed to developing a game they love alongside the community. They've heard the calls for a stronger pvp experience but they know players also love the variety of encounters that are possible on the seas beyond just combat.

Creating a separate space where mini games, short focused events, competitive activities can take place is a way of addressing this.

Those who prefer a more relaxed experience can still find that in the main world, those who want more sustained action based encounters might prefer the arena. I think I'll be playing both, even though I'm not a fan of other competitive games that are out there.

I think we need a better way to describe what this is and a better way of accessing it so that it feels very much a part of the whole Sea of Thieves experience, rather than having to choose between the two before you even get into the world because I think this will modify those expectations that players reading about the 'Arena' might come with, which might well lead to disappointment.

I don't think this is anything like a hardcore pvp mode, 'Arena' sort of implies a gladiatorial aspect, I'm starting to think of it more like 'Circus Maximus' where a variety of entertaining events are possible. I could be wrong of course.

There are some very valid concerns and I hope that this megathread will collect those and that they'll be taken into consideration during the development process as well as when this arrives for pioneers to test.

What it does show, is that we have a community that cares passionately about this game, this world.

https://www.seaofthieves.com/forum/topic/75681/summary-of-x018-sea-of-thieves-panel-11th-november

Views
508 out of 520