Some type of cooldown between major battles

• So, I get the PVP and all... trust me, we just lost like 10 hours of our lives to it over the weekend. But can you at least give us a break with the PvE. We decided to try for the Sea of Thieves battle after we finally got on a relatively friendly server. It took forever to sink the three ships but somehow managed to pull through with basically no supplies left. As we were pulling up our haul (first time we were successful with massive excitement), the Kraken pulls up and absolutely demolishes us. Literally, barely five minutes from the "End of Battle" prompt and we basically get screwed over by abysmal RNG, and downed by the Kraken that we didn't even know how to fight. At least give some type of cooldown between massive battles, like 10 minutes of something.

Btw, this feedback will be for future sailors, I uninstalled after that, this isn't a game for me. I hate having my time wasted.

Views
  • heck no

the battles after the battles after the battles are how we party in sea of thieves

If we don't pull up to the outpost full of treasure with frantic bucketing and occasionally cranking on a broken wheel from the lack of supplies we didn't have enough fun

• @wolfmanbush
    Let me clear up 'basically no supplies'... we had to literally board their ships and steal it from them just to repair our ship. Don't get me wrong, we had a flipping blast doing it and we almost sank about a dozen times... but to literally just get b**ch-slapped like that after an hour long battle, it was just so infuriating and instantly killed the excitement... I just didn't feel the need to ever play the game again.

• @bawstongamah said in Some type of cooldown between major battles:

@wolfmanbush
    Let me clear up 'basically no supplies'... we had to literally board their ships and steal it from them just to repair our ship. Don't get me wrong, we had a flipping blast doing it and we almost sank about a dozen times... but to literally just get b**ch-slapped like that after an hour long battle, it was just so infuriating and instantly killed the excitement... I just didn't feel the need to ever play the game again.

that's the true fortune right there. loot and gold come and go you now have a story to tell and something to use to appreciate the times you do get to the outpost with the loot

it's frustrating in the moment. the adrenaline is pumping and the emotions are high but in the end all we will take from this game are those memories of adventure. All of us that have spent countless hours on the sea have those tales. Good. It makes our victories sweeter

• @wolfmanbush

Honestly, I think it would have been like that if we kinda had an inkling of an idea (pun intended) of how to fight against the Kraken and we just didn't have the means to, but the game might as well have just frozen right then and there as it had the same effect getting sunk by it.

I'm typically a good sport about bad luck in games so to get to the point where I just basically uninstalled, the game did something wrong.

I mean, if anything, give it a hidden level system where the cooldown gets shorter and eventually disappears as you experience the game (and maybe if will alleviate the obvious learning curve in PvP), just something that will suck newer players in... not just a constant bombardment of disappointment to the point of quitting.

@wolfmanbush

Honestly, I think it would have been like that if we kinda had an inkling of an idea (pun intended) of how to fight against the Kraken and we just didn't have the means to, but the game might as well have just frozen right then and there as it had the same effect getting sunk by it.

I'm typically a good sport about bad luck in games so to get to the point where I just basically uninstalled, the game did something wrong.

I mean, if anything, give it a hidden level system where the cooldown gets shorter and eventually disappears as you experience the game (and maybe if will alleviate the obvious learning curve in PvP), just something that will suck newer players in... not just a constant bombardment of disappointment to the point of quitting.

time outs and cool downs on action is like bumpers for bowling gutters

If new players quit so be it. This is a game where sinking happens to most players at some point due to pvp or a series of unfortunate events involving everything the sea has to offer. We learn how to maximize our resources and minimize our losses but most of us still sink sometimes. A pirate has to learn to take the bad with the good. The highs and lows come and go with the tide.

Kraken- keep someone below bucketing turn towards the closest clear water (typically a 180 turn) and adjust sails for speed and you'll often get out pretty quick. Fighting them in a sloop is ezpz just cannon a few tentacles but in a larger ship it's generally not worth your supplies unless it's for fun/commendation/event so escape is the more efficient use of time

Keep a rowboat on you in case she goes down you'll have a back up for your loot

• @wolfmanbush said in Some type of cooldown between major battles:

Last I checked, that's what allows a lot of new bowlers to want to keep playing and get to the point where they don't need them

• There is nothing random about the Kraken appearing. It will be able to spawn when there are no event clouds active in the sky, and since you had just finished one (and the fleet one to boot where you were already in open water) you were a prime target.

If you don't want to get Krakened, always wait until the next cloud event appears if you can or at least wait a few minutes to try to get some other unlucky soul to get attacked by it first.

• Please lock thread ...op uninstalled game per se and this post is only to knock the game based on 1 game day played and a bad outing.

@wolfmanbush said in Some type of cooldown between major battles:

Last I checked, that's what allows a lot of new bowlers to want to keep playing and get to the point where they don't need them

bumpers are to shelter children from loss

You allegedly uninstalled after a loss and a short time playing. The game wasn't developed to cater to people that have to be sheltered from loss. It's a freedom of choice adventure game where dying and sinking are commonplace but so are victories and escapes. Safety nets don't belong in adventure or pirating

• @johnhp1 said in Some type of cooldown between major battles:

Please lock thread ...op uninstalled game per se and this post is only to knock the game based on 1 game day played and a bad outing.

FYI, we played for 30 hours which isn't 'one game day'. I think that's enough time to get a good feel for a game. The 10 hours lost was from the stolen treasure caused by the PvP that we needed to get a feel for (and something that I'm not complaining about because, PvP... it's gonna happen).

@wolfmanbush said in Some type of cooldown between major battles:

bumpers are to shelter children from loss

You allegedly uninstalled after a loss and a short time playing. The game wasn't developed to cater to people that have to be sheltered from loss. It's a freedom of choice adventure game where dying and sinking are commonplace but so are victories and escapes. Safety nets don't belong in adventure or pirating

Several losses, actually. Jeez, I'm not asking to be hand held through my entire experience... just don't give us a learning curve that is a sharp 90 degree angle to infinity from the get-go (speaking strictly PvE on that one).

• @bawstongamah games meant to be random. if you couldnt beat the kraken you didnt deserve the loot. if you didnt go back for it you didnt deserve any loot.

• a battle with almost no supplies where you have to steal it from other ships are the most fun. If you sail the sea´s for a while you will love the battle´s wich coukld be a real challenge to you and your crew.
    And you would know that you can escape the kraken if you just sail in one direction.

Im sorry if this is not you type of game. But when it is not a hard or frustrating from time to time, we all would have a boring time on the sea.
    I hope you will touch the game a second time when you cool of a bit.

• You didn't turn in anything or have a rowboat or continuously collect supplies over the course of 10 hours?

I have no sympathy for you.

That said, you should have been smarter about how you approach things.

I do suggest you try it again, though, and do it differently. Learn from your mistakes, or you will continue to fail, even in other seas.

• First of all, congratulations on beating the Skeleton Fleet, which is one of the most difficult challenges in the game. The thing is that now you and your crew know that you can do it so it should be easier for you next time. Taking on the Kraken directly after an event like that can test even the best pirates, and now that you know that can happen you'll be ready for it next time. The Skeleton Fleet is not an event that I attempt very often, because of the amount of supplies you need to collect in order to attempt it, maybe there is some room for the game to improvement on that front? In it's current state I can imagine that the game has quite a steep learning curve, I just hope that you'll decide to give it another go, and embrace the chaos and challenges that this game has to offer.

• @galactic-geek said in Some type of cooldown between major battles:

You didn't turn in anything or have a rowboat or continuously collect supplies over the course of 10 hours?

I have no sympathy for you.

That said, you should have been smarter about how you approach things.

I do suggest you try it again, though, and do it differently. Learn from your mistakes, or you will continue to fail, even in other seas.

10 hours cumulatively from the barrage of times we were plundered over the weekend, not one 10 hour stint.... that's just asking for it. We were doing exactly that, learning from the past PvP failures and started to research some of the techs to improve our game, however, to lose the way we did, in PvE no less, kind of left a foul taste for the game.

@one-eyed-curly said in Some type of cooldown between major battles:

First of all, congratulations on beating the Skeleton Fleet, which is one of the most difficult challenges in the game. The thing is that now you and your crew know that you can do it so it should be easier for you next time. Taking on the Kraken directly after an event like that can test even the best pirates, and now that you know that can happen you'll be ready for it next time. The Skeleton Fleet is not an event that I attempt very often, because of the amount of supplies you need to collect in order to attempt it, maybe there is some room for the game to improvement on that front? In it's current state I can imagine that the game has quite a steep learning curve, I just hope that you'll decide to give it another go, and embrace the chaos and challenges that this game has to offer.

Yeah, I started reinstalling this morning... figured just one more chance before I quit for good.

• @bawstongamah said:

10 hours cumulatively from the barrage of times we were plundered over the weekend, not one 10 hour stint.... that's just asking for it.

Well, now I feel like you're just being disingenuous. You know what people call that? A sensationalist headline. It's pantamount to writing a tabloid in order get people to GASP!

• Imagine having a 10 hour non-stop thrill ride of fun, but getting salty over not getting your cosmetic money allowance.

• @nabberwar said in Some type of cooldown between major battles:

Imagine having a 10 hour non-stop thrill ride of fun, but getting salty over not getting your cosmetic money allowance.

IKR!? 🙄

• @nabberwar said in Some type of cooldown between major battles:

Imagine having a 10 hour non-stop thrill ride of fun, but getting salty over not getting your cosmetic money allowance.

Imagine thinking that my grip was regarding the PvP aspect of the game and attempting to belittle someone over something they misread.

Imagine how much more you'd understand if you actually took the time to see from another's prospective

Imagine if you actually had something constructive to add to this topic

Imagine

• @bawstongamah

Imagine thinking that my grip was regarding the PvP aspect of the game and attempting to belittle someone over something they misread.

Never mentioned PvP once, you lost loot to Kraken.

Imagine how much more you'd understand if you actually took the time to see from another's prospective

My dude, you are under the impression few know what you are going through. Let me fill you in on a secret, we have all been there being the unfortunate one for unforseen PvE. However, you don't see us rage quitting making pity post on the forums.

Let me fill you in on one of my biggest middle finger PvE experiences I was fortunate to be graced with. I was fortunate enough to face off crew vs. crew against Pace22. The biggest PvP streamer crew in the game. If you are a big PvP crew like our crew, this is a sign you are in for a great fight. We had two fights with him, you want to guess what happened? First sink on us was due to Kraken on us mid fight, the second was a Ballastball toting Skeleton Galleon spawned on us. That Skeleton being the worse ship to interfere on a Galleon, and it had only eyes for us. I am not going to say we were going to win nor lose, but we sure as heck were making him work for those sinks. I'm talking near hour long skirmishes.

After I got essentially dunked on by PvE, you want to know what I did? Said GG, and moved on. I didn't get upset, I didn't uninstall, why? Because I had a blast, and my fun doesn't hinge on whether I turned in loot or not. The kind that do hinge on that, are sore losers. You experienced essentially a giant roller-coaster of fun, but start talking trash about the coaster because you didn't get your complimentary free picture. You got Kraken'ed big woop.

What are you expecting from us?
    "Please don't go!"
    "The game isn't the same without you!"
    "What will Rare do without you?!"

I've got a rule that I follow, people who make these kinds of posts will get the same response from me always.

Goodbye.

• nobody cares, this was a good experience for you, we will get less "i need pve servers" forums from you.

• why? lol...

• @yaboiskinypickl maybe read his post?

• Adding rules to surprising emergent gameplay makes the seas less predictable and more boring as a result.

• @wolfmanbush said in Some type of cooldown between major battles:

Keep a rowboat on you in case she goes down you'll have a back up for your loot

@d3adst1ck said in Some type of cooldown between major battles:

There is nothing random about the Kraken appearing. It will be able to spawn when there are no event clouds active in the sky, and since you had just finished one (and the fleet one to boot where you were already in open water) you were a prime target.

If you don't want to get Krakened, always wait until the next cloud event appears if you can or at least wait a few minutes to try to get some other unlucky soul to get attacked by it first.

These two things are knowledge you learned from this event. If you do it again knowing this, you'll be fine. Even if you get krakened, you can just load everything on to your lifeboat (which Karen won't attack.)

You haven't played Sea of Thieves until you've received Poseidon's Kiss of getting Meg'd, Skelleon'd and Karen'd all at the same time. That's how you know the game loves you.

Sunk Happens.

Yeah, I started reinstalling this morning... figured just one more chance before I quit for good.

alt text

I hope you have a good internet plan for uninstalling and reinstalling because no matter how skilled someone gets they will still get wrecked from time to time and lose piles of loot, supplies, time etc etc

• @bawstongamah

Seriously just take it an amazing day. The fact you are more angry about the Kraken then PvP shows that you at least have some future with this game.

Don't let the loss push you. It happens to all of us. You think you lost a lot of loot?? Nah, you probably didn't lose that much. I've lost LOTS.

Also going to mention that eventually you run out of uses for gold and you are just stock piling.

There are plenty of Kraken guides out there. Look for them. Krakens really easy especially if you are just trying to run from it.

Just enjoy the fact that you guys had a movie classic moment.

narrator in the background -

"Fighting against all odds and defeating the enemy pirates, they celebrated their triumph as they circled around their loot. However, they did not know that the Karen would be showing up to the party and it demanded to speak to their manager!!!" - What will happen to our lost heroes, will they be able to calm the beast or will they have to succumb to it. Find out next time on DRAGON BALL Z!

• @bawstongamah no supplies left? No planks? Really? It's rare, but happens, that we don't have any cannonballs left, but planks?

• While we understand your intention is to leave feedback and explain your reasons for leaving, this type of post draws negative reaction, and does not foster discussion in the community. We value your feedback, and if you want to make suggestions or offer your ideas to improve the game, please feel free to create a topic in Feedback & Suggestions. This topic will now be locked

Views
13 out of 30