[Mega Thread] Barrel 2.0 - Part 3

• Thank you all for your feedback and suggestions in our previous mega thread, as we have made some new changes to the Barrels in Patch 1.2.5, we're opening a new mega thread to gather your feedback on these changes.

@khaleesibot said in Patch Notes Discussion 1.2.5:

Patch Notes - 1.2.5

Updates

After feedback shared with us about the changes made to Barrels and inventory management in Patch 1.2.4, Design Director Mike Chapman gave further insight into why the changes were made and what the future holds for these systems.

In Patch 1.2.5, we see the first of our quality of life improvements to the barrel system. These improvements to empty barrel identification and resource level increases are the first of many improvements we have planned for future updates.

• Bilge Rat Doubloons - To reward pirates who keep the skeleton scourge at bay, Doubloons for Cursed Crews Commendations will remain available to earn even after the Cursed Crews Bilge Rat Adventure ends.
    • Empty Barrel Tooltip - Barrels now display a tooltip to indicate they are empty. Players will no longer need to interact with a barrel in order to discover there is nothing inside.
    • Resource Balancing - Barrels are less likely to be found empty in the world, helping to reducing the time taken to restock ships.
    • Quick Menu - The "Equipment" and "Resources" tabs within the Quick Menu have been swapped around as the "Resources" tab is used most commonly and should be the easiest to access.

Here's previous discussions on this topic:

As you participate in this thread -

Keep to the Pirate Code
    As a reminder, the Pirate Code is more than just guidelines (though the reference really never gets old), but the rules of the community and game that we expect all members to abide by when participating on the forums. Any member who fails to abide by the code may find themselves put in the brig, or removed from the community.

We also have Forum Rules, which we moderate to.

投稿
    表示回数
  • It's improving, but some observations.

• I don't remember it being discussed by Joe Neate, but do pay attention to the storage capacity, 3600 cannonballs and 1200 food/wood is overkill.
    • Set the stacks of each slot to 300 for cannonballs and 100 for food and wood, or set the stacks to a standard 100. 99 makes my eyes hurt.
    • If you guys do go ahead with a take all/store all feature, do NOT allow players to take everything at once. Example, a guy comes in with 0 cannonballs of any kind, presses take all and takes 120 cannonballs (10 of each type of cannonball, from regular to cursed) in an instant. Does not sound very fair, avoid that.

Maximum capacity of a ship storage should end up like this:

300 regular cannonballs
    300 cursed anchor cannonballs
    300 cursed sails cannonballs
    300 cursed grog cannonballs
    300 cursed barrel cannonballs
    300 cursed wheel cannonballs
    300 cursed dance cannonballs
    300 cursed sleep cannonballs
    300 cursed bones cannonballs
    300 cursed cannons cannonballs
    300 cursed ship cannonballs
    300 cursed poison cannonballs
    100 bananas
    100 wooden planks

It cannot go above these numbers or else you risk having severe balancing issues.

• We still need a way to pick up items from barrels instantly like we used to be able to do. Having to go into the barrel inventory slows you down, making it feel clunky and unnecessary.

Let us pick up items 1 by 1 if we need to in the heat of the moment, as well as giving us the option to open the barrels and "take all/give all" like you intend to do!

Some players on the forums already had a nice UI planned out for these changes.

• These are great changes! Especially the swap between Resources and Equipment. Thanks Rare!

• @eddythecaptain said in [Mega Thread] Barrel 2.0 - Part 3:

We still need a way to pick up items from barrels instantly like we used to be able to do. Having to go into the barrel inventory slows you down, making it feel clunky and unnecessary.

Let us pick up items 1 by 1 if we need to in the heat of the moment, as well as giving us the option to open the barrels and "take all/give all" like you intend to do!

We're working on a Take All feature update to the Barrels. This is something we hear loud and clear from the community!

• @eddythecaptain The "Take All" and "Give all" is coming later on! Joe Neate mentioned this in the latest developer update. Happy sailing!

• We need to show that the barrels are empty please. We had it before why not now?

• @khaleesibot said in [Mega Thread] Barrel 2.0 - Part 3:

@eddythecaptain said in [Mega Thread] Barrel 2.0 - Part 3:

We still need a way to pick up items from barrels instantly like we used to be able to do. Having to go into the barrel inventory slows you down, making it feel clunky and unnecessary.

We're working on a Take All feature update to the Barrels. This is something we hear loud and clear from the community!

Yes, the Take-all feature is great, but opening barrels and using the "take-all" feature should be a choice.

You removed the "quick pick-up" feature we had were you can just go up to a barrel and spam the "take" button to quick take items in the heat of the moment. If you are being chased by a skeleton, you now have to take the time to stop and open the barrel instead of just swinging by and spamming the "take" button a few times.

Bring back the "quick pick-up" AND introduce the new UI + "take-all" for the best barrel 2.0 setup.

Like this!

• @inboundbomb It's in now!

• @timotytimoty Thanks!

• @inboundbomb said in [Mega Thread] Barrel 2.0 - Part 3:

We need to show that the barrels are empty please. We had it before why not now?

We do!

@khaleesibot said in Patch Notes Discussion 1.2.5:

Patch Notes - 1.2.5

Updates

• Empty Barrel Tooltip - Barrels now display a tooltip to indicate they are empty. Players will no longer need to interact with a barrel in order to discover there is nothing inside.

If you're not seeing this, please submit a bug report via Support!

• @khaleesibot thank you. I missed that in the post.

• Until you fix the speed of these barrels then I’ll never be a fan. Once I open the barrel the thumbnails for the items take additional time to load. Sure I can take the item but it’s still frustrating not knowing what I’m picking up and although this delay isn’t substantial it should be instant and rival the quickness of barrels 1.0.

I get that these are designed with future consumables in mind but as far as we know, these new food and other resources could be months away, so it’s hard to accurately judge 2.0. All I can do now is judge it with what we have and compare it to how it was previously and I’m still struggling to see any upside into this new inventory management.
    I get that take all and deposit all seem to be coming but I need a way of doing this without bringing up the menus. As has already been posted, A key prompt to open the barrel UI and another key prompt to simply take would be beneficial.

• The green skeleton glitch has been happening more often lately. It happened to this pirate when spawning at Lowe's Home Improvement trying to gather planks avoiding the new barrel system.

alt text

• @khaleesibot

Thank you for the improvements and QoL you're making with the new barrels but there is a little thing I find a bit unfair for the players who are using a controller compared to those using a keyboard.

On a keyboard and with a short delay, you are able to take all the items in the barrels if you hold F. But on the other side, with a controller, if you hold A it will only take one item and you have to press again to take more. At the moment those with a keyboard can take and store supplies faster compared to those who are using controllers.

I would love to be able to do that with my controller! I hope it's something you can take a look at with the upcoming take/store all :)

• I'm curious about what we'll eventually be able to find in the barrels.

Have the devs considered making it so that treasure will spawn in barrels? Like a bag of gold or relics?

• Hi there, is true that we are going in a good direction but really, from my point of view, the only solution is what @EddyTheCaptain is suggesting.

Together with the "Take All" and "Store All" feature from the barrel menu we MUST have a button to take BASIC resources (basic cannon balls not cursed ones, bananas as basic food and planks) out on the fly without the need to open the barrel menu. I think this is pretty simple to do and will fix all the problems. I hope that Rare will understand this is the only way to follow and the Pioneers will tell them in their feedback. The barrels menu is just taking so mutch fun away from the combats, specially when you board other ships.

@khaleesibot said in [Mega Thread] Barrel 2.0 - Part 3:

Yes, the Take-all feature is great, but opening barrels and using the "take-all" feature should be choice.

You removed the "quick pick-up" feature we had were you can just go up to a barrel and spam the "take" button to quick take items in the heat of the moment. If you are being chased by a skeleton, you now have to take the time to stop and open the barrel instead of just swinging by a spamming the "take" button a few times.

Bring back the "quick pick-up" AND introduce the new UI + "take-all" for the best barrel 2.0 setup.

I totally agree. Same thing I have been saying and offering suggestions on like most other players. "Take All" and "Give All" is nice. However, there must be a way to also quickly grab exactly what you need, when you need it, and have it ready to use in your hand.

• @khaleesibot yet you completely ignore the suggestions regarding a 'quick take' feature. there are numerous ways to implement this, and the community have great ideas to remedy this. Simply make it so that each barrel has a prioritized item. Also, is there a reason we need an inventory screen for the wooden planks barrel? the 'take all' feature, which is still located in an inventory screen, fails to address the impeded flow of pvp, hence why it is necessary to revisit this problem. forsaken shores won't be the same with clunky pvp.

• @urihamrayne sagte in [Mega Thread] Barrel 2.0 - Part 3:

It's improving, but some observations.

• I don't remember it being discussed by Joe Neate, but do pay attention to the storage capacity, 3600 cannonballs and 1200 food/wood is overkill.
    • Set the stacks of each slot to 300 for cannonballs and 100 for food and wood, or set the stacks to a standard 100. 99 makes my eyes hurt.
    • If you guys do go ahead with a take all/store all feature, do NOT allow players to take everything at once. Example, a guy comes in with 0 cannonballs of any kind, presses take all and takes 120 cannonballs (10 of each type of cannonball, from regular to cursed) in an instant. Does not sound very fair, avoid that.

Maximum capacity of a ship storage should end up like this:

300 regular cannonballs
    300 cursed anchor cannonballs
    300 cursed sails cannonballs
    300 cursed grog cannonballs
    300 cursed barrel cannonballs
    300 cursed wheel cannonballs
    300 cursed dance cannonballs
    300 cursed sleep cannonballs
    300 cursed bones cannonballs
    300 cursed cannons cannonballs
    300 cursed ship cannonballs
    300 cursed poison cannonballs
    100 bananas
    100 wooden planks

I was completely aboard, until you listed 300 of each curseball.
    That is still overkill.

Limit (on a Galleon/Brigantine) should be 300 cannonballs total. Period.

A single Cannonball-Barrel can hold ten stacks of 10 cannonballs, which equals 100 balls.
    You could have four stacks of various curseballs and six stacks of normal cannonballs or any other combination up to a total of 100 balls per barrel.

• @thor-von-blitz if each slot stacks up to 10 that will make added variety become less atractive in the long run, on paper having player decide between more raw damage over status effects is a good balance, however sot does not have ammo shops or places where you can reliably find the exact type of ammo/tools you want, players should feel rewarded for looking and hoarding resources rather than being punished for finding more of a type than others, not just in the case for curseballs, but in the future things like: chain shot, explosive shots, frag balls, flame balls etc.. would be fighting for inventory space if your suggested solution is in place.

300 of each is the absolute max, there can not be any more than that of each type, anything between 100-300 is acceptable.

Yes, the Take-all feature is great, but opening barrels and using the "take-all" feature should be a choice.

You removed the "quick pick-up" feature we had were you can just go up to a barrel and spam the "take" button to quick take items in the heat of the moment. If you are being chased by a skeleton, you now have to take the time to stop and open the barrel instead of just swinging by and spamming the "take" button a few times.

Like this!

This photo that Eddy used is great. I think this is right on the money where you want to be. I understand that you want an 'inventory' system, but having to open the barrel to get into a UI, paralyzing your character while you navigate through it breaks the game. Let me be clear and repeat that, without a way to immediately grab the primary supplies from the barrel, the game is broken. Take All, whatever, is not a fix for this.

There is a way to achieve both your objective of an inventory type system while keeping the fast flow of the game. This needs to be your focus. For example, suppose simply approaching the barrel opens up a diamond shape layout of images representing what is in the barrel, with the primary supply always being the same default key (for ship barrels) and additional things inside of the barrel taking other hotkeys similar to the photo. Just imagine the photo with more keystrokes corresponding to what is in the barrel. Let me be clear, simply approaching close to the barrel does this is, NOT opening an inventory. Under no circumstances should you be frozen inside an inventory screen, unable to move/react. This solution gets you the inventory you want, while maintaining the fast flow of the game that the community is demanding.

• These changes are not enough. He talks of promised "take all give all" features "coming" They should already be here. We are looking at another week at least of this disgusting UI and inventory system. His comment that it was needed is flat out wrong. Was A new system needed? Yes. Was THIS new system needed? Absolutely not. The longer they sit on their heels and leave this in place, the more people will get sick of dealing with it. I'm already not looking forward to FS because its just going to be another early access build that takes a month of bugfixes before its playable. There's no assurances that the game is even completely fixed now, and the new pack is due in two weeks. Delay FS, fix your game, make a proper release that impresses people and will get them recommending the game again. Not a bug-riddled frustrating patchwork of poorly implemented ideas that drives more of your player-base away. As it stands, there will be two more cancelled gamepass subs at the end of this month. Before this patch I was trying to get my other communities back into this game because of the added content and improvements. As soon as the inventory system was dumped on us, I steered them right back away.

• Thank you Rare! I think you guys are doing a great job! I know its not easy but you guys are hands down yhe best Dev crew out there. Will be buying a second copy of the game for my gf! We love it!

Like this!

One of the slots in the inventory screen could be the "Quick Slot" and the player can organize their barrels as needed. If only one item type is in the barrel then there will be no need to even go through the inventory menu.

• @Geldore @TheVividDreamer @Bosmang-Suits @EddyTheCaptain

This is the way to restore what was one of the best and most important features of SoT. It is very understood why it is necessary to change the inventory system. Having more and better content coming is greatly appreciated. There has to be a comprise though for the game to play right and pirates sail onwards very happy.

The new inventory menu can stay. Just tweak it a little more.

Empty barrel tip is back in.

Take All and Give All on the way.

That just leaves the quick grab option. As I mentioned before it could be what is in the first stack or a “featured/main item” in a barrel. Press a key and get the maximum amount allowed of that item added to your inventory, or even one at a time like before. Regardless, that item, rather it be a banana, wood plank, or a standard cannonball, is in your hand ready to use immediately.

No inventory menu popping up. The option to pop the inventory menu should be separate and used only if you want to search or organize a container. Take all and still opening a menu to select it before you use it does not fix what is most broken.

You should never have to open this new menu when trying to grab what you need while surrounded by skeletons, vanquishing unwanted boarders, or sinking ships. SoT is not a turned based combat game. It should never have an inventory system like one. The flow should keep a player moving, especially at these critical times like it did before this Barrel 2.0 rollout.

Keep the new system. Just make sure all the concerns and issues are addressed.

• @inboundbomb They reintroduced that feature in the 1.2.5 patch wich was released today
    Arrrr sail on ;)

• @urihamrayne sagte in [Mega Thread] Barrel 2.0 - Part 3:

@thor-von-blitz if each slot stacks up to 10 that will make added variety become less atractive in the long run, on paper having player decide between more raw damage over status effects is a good balance, however sot does not have ammo shops or places where you can reliably find the exact type of ammo/tools you want, players should feel rewarded for looking and hoarding resources rather than being punished for finding more of a type than others, not just in the case for curseballs, but in the future things like: chain shot, explosive shots, frag balls, flame balls etc.. would be fighting for inventory space if your suggested solution is in place.

300 of each is the absolute max, there can not be any more than that of each type, anything between 100-300 is acceptable.

Limitation creates depth and breeds crews that strategize.
    It leads to people that adapt and weigh the pros and cons of the ammunitation they stumble upon.
    Ships that carry their own unique "Loadout" suiting their playstyle at a reasonable scale.

Maybe i'm reading it wrong, but the way you listed your cannonballs still results in having 3600 cannonballs aboard a single ship.
    A possible 300 for each type, right?
    Don't you think that thats a tee bit too much?
    What happens when they introduce more ammunition types, will the total number of cannonballs rise once more?

If every ship has a total limit of 100 cannonballs per cannonball-barrel, leaving the Sloop with 200 and the Galleon and Brig with 300 (like it used to be), that surely would be more than enough.

A Sloop may carry 180 cannonballs and
    up to 20 curseballs, another Sloop might have only 40 cannonballs but, using whatever black magic, decided to gather up to 160 curseballs - the total limit would never exceed 200 cannonballs on a Sloop though.

When you encounter another ship this limitation will create wonder and excitment because you'll never know what their ship composition of resources might look like.

• @harlton-cheston sagte in [Mega Thread] Barrel 2.0 - Part 3:

I'm curious about what we'll eventually be able to find in the barrels.

Have the devs considered making it so that treasure will spawn in barrels? Like a bag of gold or relics?

I don't think thats not where they want to go with the barrel system because I think it would be too OP to just wal around and get treasures.
    But in deed it would be a really nice addition to the roleplay aspect of the game.
    It would be even more realistic than the skulls and chests wich you can find at the beach.
    But it would need to be small amounts like 100-200 golden coins.
    Arrrr sail on ;)

• @khaleesibot said in [Mega Thread] Barrel 2.0 - Part 3:

I have a question though! Will that take all feature take place outside or inside the menus? If it's the latter it still isn't going to be very good.

• @personalc0ffee said in [Mega Thread] Barrel 2.0 - Part 3:

@thevividdreamer said in [Mega Thread] Barrel 2.0 - Part 3:

@khaleesibot yet you completely ignore the suggestions regarding a 'quick take' feature. there are numerous ways to implement this, and the community have great ideas to remedy this. Simply make it so that each barrel has a prioritized item. Also, is there a reason we need an inventory screen for the wooden planks barrel? the 'take all' feature, which is still located in an inventory screen, fails to address the impeded flow of pvp, hence why it is necessary to revisit this problem. forsaken shores won't be the same with clunky pvp.

Barrel 1.0 is dead. It's gone.

I am not sure why people try to continue to cling to this.

Joe mentioned in the update video that there are going to be CORE mechanical changes along the way, so that means get comfortable people, other things are changing you've been using for months.

That's just the way it is with this game.

Remember Barrel 2.0 is less restrictive in what it allows them to give to us to play with or use whereas barrel 1.0 was so restrictive that every resource needed its own individual barrel.

The clusterbunk they would have caused is incredible.

I get it, people don't like the new UI design because it is different, slightly slows down stocking, hurts immersion, and ruins banana spam pvp.

Well I'm sorry but barrel 1.0 is gone. Long live barrel 2.0 and the wonderful amounts of resources and changes we will see with it. I personally can not wait until I can find a wonderful treasure map inside or a potion, or money.

The possiblitites are endless.

I'm sorry but i disagree with you. As you read in this topic, me and almost every other user is not asking to get the 1.0 back and remove the 2.0, we are simply asking to get both. Every one understands that the new barrel system is needed for cursed cannon balls and all future additions, and we are all fine with it, but is also very true that we MUST be able to take basic resources out on the fly. This new system just doesn't work in any busy pve/pvp scenarios. Why we have to choose between 1.0 and 2.0, just give us both and all the pirates will be very happy 😁

• @personalc0ffee said in [Mega Thread] Barrel 2.0 - Part 3:

@cr0n0d And I'm sorry to report, both types are not possible with the new system. This new system is necessary for the changes coming to the game.

Sorry, but exactly why is not possible? Having one button to open the menu and another button the take out a basic resource when standing in front of a barrel looks pretty easy to me and most of us.....

• The options we all are talking about here such as quick grab, take all, and open is absolutely possible in video games. We are not saying go back. It is insulting to keep being accused that is what folks are doing. So far we have seen both are possble in SoT, but separately. Question is can both exist together.

Is there an official response that says so one way or the other? There would be only two reasons that it will not happen in SoT. Either it is not technically possible due to limitations in its code or they just refuse to make these changes. Would be nice to know.

It is sad to keep hearing statements that players should just suck it up and move on. That the new menu system is here to stay like it or not. Just accepting something that is wrong is never right. If this was how the game was from start, many probably would have never purchased it. If they had the opportunity to purchase it in this new state with protection such as some services offer, it would have been returned for a refund in high quantities.

• Still complete garbage drop the menu UI and take it back to the drawing board.

1. Still bad lag when trying to transfer items from barrel to user inventory.

2. Functionality still combersome and slow. Why make us keep pressing extra buttons just to stock items.

3. Still no effective way for you to manage you individual cursed cannoballs.

• Issue: Barrels have turned into treasure chests. It is not fun to feel compelled to search 20+ treasure chests on every island.

Scenario: Player A doesn't like missing any items whatsoever! He tries to search every single barrel every single time in case there's a map, cursed cannonball, or other rare resource inside. Because he fills up on supplies so fast, most of the barrels he searches never get marked 'empty.' He ends up searching several barrels 2 or even 3 times in a row because there are so many of them not marked 'empty' and he can't see what's inside before opening them. He does this on every island.

Possible Solution: Show which core supplies are in a barrel before opening it. Have rare resources and maps appear in their own barrels, and not with core supplies. Barrels with cursed cannonballs can let off a soft green/purple glow.

Issue: Excessive barrel-searching causes player death.

Scenario: Player B is running away from a group of skeletons at a skull fort and needs a banana to avoid death. He searches a barrel and hits 'take all'. The barrel has a couple of planks and cannonballs (which he is full on) but no bananas. Since he was unable to take the planks and cannonballs from the barrel, it is not marked 'empty'. He keeps running and eventually passes by the barrel again. Because everything is so chaotic, the barrel doesn't say 'empty' AND he can't see what's inside it at a glance, he forgets that he searched it. He searches it again and dies.

Possible Solution: Show which core supplies are in a barrel before opening it. Bring back quick-take functionality.

投稿
表示回数
168 / 6