25 Euros for a ship set from the Emporium is insane

• @booskijksr said in 25 Euros for a ship set from the Emporium is insane:

@wolfmanbush
    In case you missed it we are talking about 25-35 euro ship sets, never once did I mention companions or other things like emotes and what not. I also never mentioned spending ALOT of time on the game as a prerequisite. 15 euros for the entire ship set should be plenty. (That includes the collectors editions)

based on what? "should be plenty" is fine for a personal opinion but based on what?

• @wolfmanbush
    Creators would still get paid and the people paying wouldn't feel as ripped off. That's kindof what this thread is about.

• @booskijksr said in 25 Euros for a ship set from the Emporium is insane:

@wolfmanbush
    Creators would still get paid and the people paying wouldn't feel as ripped off. That's kindof what this thread is about.

Without knowing the facts of the numbers it's just speculation so we really don't know what "should be enough"

and I have posts going back well over a year where I have said the collector figurehead strategy isn't something I am personally fond of.

• @wolfmanbush

Peoples who bought the game 3 or 4 years ago payed a BETA at full price with purposely cut content to pretend "FREE UPDATES".

Thats the Microsoft mantra for ANY gaas game they release.

• @wolfmanbush said in 25 Euros for a ship set from the Emporium is insane:

I have over 12 thousand hours

I've seen and done just about everything that exists on this game and in the random environment

had I never bought a thing, that would still be possible and without any loss to the experience, still experienced all the community connections, still unlocked all the free cosmetics I've earned and been rewarded with

Still be able to talk about the game and the environment on the forums which I enjoy

that's an incredible thing

Whenever I get to thinkin' "it's getting pretty thick in there on a consistent basis" I stop for a moment and think about that. Then I don't have any issues with it.

That’s unhealthy.
    Edit: the hour count, my bad for not mentioning that.

• @animeowl0807 said in 25 Euros for a ship set from the Emporium is insane:

@wolfmanbush said in 25 Euros for a ship set from the Emporium is insane:

I've seen and done just about everything that exists on this game and in the random environment

had I never bought a thing, that would still be possible and without any loss to the experience, still experienced all the community connections, still unlocked all the free cosmetics I've earned and been rewarded with

Still be able to talk about the game and the environment on the forums which I enjoy

Whenever I get to thinkin' "it's getting pretty thick in there on a consistent basis" I stop for a moment and think about that. Then I don't have any issues with it.

That’s unhealthy.

a view I've heard before over many different non gaming hobbies that I have given 100% to.

in my view the only times I approached something in an unhealthy way are the times I was not thoughtful in my approach

• @wolfmanbush said in 25 Euros for a ship set from the Emporium is insane:

@animeowl0807 said in 25 Euros for a ship set from the Emporium is insane:

@wolfmanbush said in 25 Euros for a ship set from the Emporium is insane:

That’s unhealthy.

a view I've heard before over many different non gaming hobbies that I have given 100% to.

in my view the only times I approached something in an unhealthy way are the times I was not thoughtful in my approach

It’s unhealthy in my opinion, but if you get proper exercise and socializing etc. then I guess it could work. I know some people who have half the amount of hours as me, and they play SoT so much that they’ve got the discord mod body type.
    Of course, the idea of “healthy” and “unhealthy” is relative, and in the end, it’s an opinion, popular or not.

• @wolfmanbush

based on what? "should be plenty" is fine for a personal opinion but based on what?

This thread is my personal opinion. I find it absurd people have jumped in to ''defend'' Rare and Microsoft when i'm clearly just stating that the ship set prices are too high in my opinion, which is stopping me from buying them. I'm reminding Rare that if they lower those prices, they'd sell more copies. Whether or not that is financially beneficial for them at the end of the day, who knows.

Ofcourse Rare needs to sell cosmetics to keep the game alive. This is the core of all live service games, but i also play live service games like Hunt Showdown and Deep Rock Galactic that get many free updates over years, and i've bought much more in those games because the prices are much more reasonable. I'm getting a nice amount of stuff for a few bucks.

I see a cool new ship set come out, check the Emporium, and fall off my chair when i see the total price, then exit the Emporium. I'm sure many people have this experience that would otherwise spend money rather than pick up their jaw and proceed to not spend anything.

• This thread is my personal opinion. I find it absurd people have jumped in to ''defend'' Rare and Microsoft when i'm clearly just stating that the ship set prices are too high in my opinion, which is stopping me from buying them.

I respect your opinion and I understand that it sucks when you want something but are not able to purchase it.
    My opinion is that it is fine, but I'm a Dolphin. I see microtransactions through the money spend per hour played lense.

• @grog-minto I am able to purchase it, i just choose not to because what you get for the price seems too little compared to what you get for that money in some other games. Apex Legends is another example of a game that charges insane prices for very little return.

I also see microtransactions like that, and i like supporting games with them when they are not blatantly overpriced.

• I agree that they are too expensive. Naturally, I don't know the actual logistics behind the decision to have those prices, but a lot of players' takes to justify the prices often sound like doing mental gymnastics around the fact to me.

If ship sets cost 10 bucks, I bet nobody here would be saying "man they should probably increase those prices so I can properly support the game".

If they were cheaper, chances are more people would buy them, or people who buy them would just buy more of them—I know I would. In the end, you'd end up spending the same amount of money, but it'd feel better spent on the consumer's end.

• @hefty-henri said in 25 Euros for a ship set from the Emporium is insane:

This thread is my personal opinion. I find it absurd people have jumped in to ''defend'' Rare and Microsoft when i'm clearly just stating that the ship set prices are too high in my opinion, which is stopping me from buying them. I'm reminding Rare that if they lower those prices, they'd sell more copies. Whether or not that is financially beneficial for them at the end of the day, who knows.

Ofcourse Rare needs to sell cosmetics to keep the game alive. This is the core of all live service games, but i also play live service games like Hunt Showdown and Deep Rock Galactic that get many free updates over years, and i've bought much more in those games because the prices are much more reasonable. I'm getting a nice amount of stuff for a few bucks.

I see a cool new ship set come out, check the Emporium, and fall off my chair when i see the total price, then exit the Emporium. I'm sure many people have this experience that would otherwise spend money rather than pick up their jaw and proceed to not spend anything.

The only thing you can do is not buy them. I don't, because they are too expensive. The fact that the pricing hasn't changed is probably because there are enough people who are buying them at this price that they don't need to adjust the price to get more sales, so complaining about it isn't going to do anything really. Dropping the price might increase sales numbers but decrease revenue, so if they don't get a sales boost that makes up that difference they are unlikely to do it.

Thank the people buying the outrageously expensive ship sets every month for subsidizing your Sea of Thieves game play :D

• Good thing that anything in the Pirate Emporium is entirely optional.

• It has been said before, but wait for the sales.

I hardly buy anything at full price, and I already own all pets, most of their outfits. about half of costumes and emotes. And about 10 ship sets with collectors edition.

In most sale's the ships go about half of. And I've even seen them at 1/3 of the regular price last year at Black Friday weekend.
    Which is getting near BTW. So if I was you, I'd start saving up some ancient coins and look out to BF Weekend.

• If you ask me, I think a big issue is also that the stuff in the Pirate Emporium is just way cooler than anything you can obtain for free (excluding Ancient Skeletons).
    If it was possible to earn really cool-looking ships in the game and the Pirate Emporium was more like a shortcut or an alternative, I'm sure most people would be fine with it. But as it is, you don't get many interesting customization options (at least without grinding the game out until it's not fun anymore).

Take a look at Monster Hunter, another series with ridiculously overpriced cosmetic DLC - You don't tend to hear people complain about it very much though because the customization options you get for free feel like enough.

• @lassidagreat said in 25 Euros for a ship set from the Emporium is insane:

If you ask me, I think a big issue is also that the stuff in the Pirate Emporium is just way cooler than anything you can obtain for free (excluding Ancient Skeletons).
    If it was possible to earn really cool-looking ships in the game and the Pirate Emporium was more like a shortcut or an alternative, I'm sure most people would be fine with it. But as it is, you don't get many interesting customization options (at least without grinding the game out until it's not fun anymore).

Take a look at Monster Hunter, another series with ridiculously overpriced cosmetic DLC - You don't tend to hear people complain about it very much though because the customization options you get for free feel like enough.

that's subjective, imo quality in general of cosmetics has been leaning towards higher quality for a while now, especially with emissary rewards

quantity on the other hand definitely leans towards emporium and drops, drops being free

it would be nice to see more event related ship cosmetics in between the season passes

the season/plunder pass system thus far has been incredible for cosmetics imo, from pricing to quality, there are just lengthy stretches between where it is a bit dry.

• @wolfmanbush Agreed that plunder pass is good value, it's just i haven't been a big fan of the sets they come with so far

Views
38 out of 54