[Mega Thread] Sea of Thieves: The Arena

• @blindnev

I don't really see a point in adding something like that. All you will see are ships sailing to a certin outpost and just disappear. Also it will make servers a bit of a mess, since people will just join and leave a minute later.

1. because it's immersive game design that really fits this game.
    2. It will let you seamlessly join and fight while in the normal mode of the game without having to quit out to the menus and rejoin with your current crew.
    3. You could come back to your own server instance. They could lock your ship in a canal and then you sail out when you finish your match. There's a lot of possibility.
    4. It would be a new area with new characters, and new things to do. Why stop at queuing for an arena match? Why not have a dueling arena for various other types of fights within the server? Why not also add mini games like gambling, target shooting, etc. for crews to have fun with?

It could work if the servers were big and there were enough players at all times, but not in the current condition.

Maybe. If this addition grows the player base like I think it will, that will help, but the server matchmaking def needs work to better fill up servers.

• Listening to joe and Craig at Xbox panel, they mention some really cool features as part of the arena. The social tavern for one. A feature that has been requested for so long. It sounds great but why can’t this be available through the main game rather than an additional option through the main menu.

Ive always thought this would work if we loaded into somewhere from the main world. We already load on to the ferry and load into the pirate legend hideout. Surely it could be another door in the tavern. Maybe even this social hub could take place upstairs of the tavern.

Just like the dark zone in the division. If you are in combat then you can’t simply just leave to flee combat. There should be a cool down or something of that ilk.

I’m just throwing ideas out so what I’m saying I don’t expect to be gospel. But rather than having segregated modes from the menu. I’d rather we all load into the world. Leave the tavern to start adventure as normal or head upstairs to queue for arena.

• I wish I could say I was surprised by this announcement. I kind of suspected something like this would be needed due to the limitations that seem to prevent them from adding simple things like new shanties.

It does seem out of place when you look back on the early postings from the development team though. Oh well, I'll give the new mode a shot when it comes out anyway.

• @dekeita said in [Mega Thread] Sea of Thieves: The Arena:

I think the concerns over split development time and comparisons to BR killing the original fortnite, might be unwarranted here. Especially with Chapman confirming this has been in the works the whole time.

But also because SoT has always had a tight connection between Lore and Gameplay. And the lore setup here is that a character is setting up the competition to find out who's the best pirate or whatever.

There's only one SoT. The competition exists in the world that we've all been living in for 7 month now. That suggest they're not gonna make a separate map, and moreover everything about the world itself should be the same, krakens spawning in arena, etc. When they continue to make more things for the world it'll effect both. The only thing that would be necessarily different is your doing a mission against other players. And real world logistical and technical problems neccisitate having to opt in to this before your tehnically in the world.

That being said, I'm not entirely sure it even needs to be on completely separate servers. If it's a 2v2 for example each team could spawn at say, Galleons grave and Daggertooth and be given the mission. While the other 2 ships on the server are doing there own thing. But hopefully we'll get more details on how this all works soon enough.

This has not been in the works the "whole time". This is a reaction to a dying set of core players. If it were in the works from the beginning it would have been on the original roadmap that they scrapped to start tossing in random shallow content.

• @betsill said in [Mega Thread] Sea of Thieves: The Arena:

@sshteeve
    Why do people keep saying that? The game has always been "fractured". Only six ships can play on a server. As long as their are at least 6 crews worth of people playing you will not see any changes to the normal mode. Good on Rare for taking a step in the right direction.

Because with "6 crews" on a server, you already get on servers and NEVER see anyone, save the very rare solo slooper that just decided to "give the game a try".

• @v**a-hombre said in [Mega Thread] Sea of Thieves: The Arena:

@scraping-static said in [Mega Thread] Sea of Thieves: The Arena:

I invest in real estate and remodel homes with my family for work, and as a hobby on the weekends I modify my cars till they reach my vision. I have a better imagination than most. But I don’t believe in a game being so bad that I should have to rely on my imagination to enjoy it. That isn’t what I paid for.

It's not about the choice, but what you do with it. If SoT didn't turn out to be what you thought you were buying then you have every right to be disappointed and should absolutely insist on Rare improving it.

However, the idea that you would feel forced to use your imagination is what bums me out. My preferred games are story-heavy RPGs, so SoT isn't exactly scratching my particular tingly bits, but I like it enough to dive in and allow my imagination to make up for the shortcomings. And I will continue to express my displeasure at those shortcomings to try and get them fixed, but I'm gonna have fun in the mean time.

Growing up, me and my younger brother had two GI Joe figures we got from Marc's. These weren't main characters, rather two cheap, bargain bin astronaut characters. But those figures were two of our favorite toys because of the stories and jokes we made with them.

If you are displeased with the state of the game, then by all means say so. Express your grievances and demand change. But don't make using your imagination sound like a chore. That's what makes me sad. Using your imagination is a privilege and something I do almost automatically; even on games that I absolutely love.

I realize that's probably not how you meant it to be taken, but the inference is there and it's a sore point for me. So sorry if it seemed like I was jumping on your back for no reason, but I believe you should never feel negatively about using your imagination.

I think you did misunderstand, and probably because of the way I put it. I love using my imagination while playing video games. In fact, every game I’ve ever played, has required me to use my imagination come to think of it. And I love that. I actually love role play games. I also love SoT believe it or not. Dude I remember one of my first play sessions, I didn’t know what the objective was, I was just sitting on an island watching two ships battle it out in the distance. And I thought, whoa. This is awesome. Lol, losing my train of thought. Let’s see.

What I’m getting at, is that I have no problem using my imagination in a game. But I just can’t use my imagination to try and pretend that a limited selection of in game tools and elements that are monotonous and basic are actually exciting. Also, the way I did use my imagination here on SoT, isn’t really existent anymore because I never have tight knit crews, and I have a lot of trouble even seeing other ships on the horizon at this point...

Which is why I’m excited for this new arena. Maybe I’m being naive and failing to see a lot of the potential negative side effects that people in this thread are worried about. But I see this as life that the game very much needs. I truly think that no matter what they would’ve added to the current “adventure mode” it wouldn’t have been enough to spark this game back up on its own. And who’s to say they won’t continue adding to the pvpve server alongside the arena server?

• are anyone watching the Mixer video?

they are also talking about shrouded spoils.

• @sshteeve How does this idea split the community? When I want a naval battle, I will play in this new mode, when I want to do quests and have little naval battle, I will stay on the old mode. It's complementary. I doubt that people do only one. The idea of PVE servers is nonsense, the interest of this game is to have a danger that it is an adverse crew or environmental hazards.

• Awful lot to read here and my brain is struggling to digest. Can someone tell me in simple terms if this means that no one who is on the normal servers will be up for pvp? Thanks

• @gow-fluid said in [Mega Thread] Sea of Thieves: The Arena:

@dekeita said in [Mega Thread] Sea of Thieves: The Arena:
    This has not been in the works the "whole time". This is a reaction to a dying set of core players. If it were in the works from the beginning it would have been on the original roadmap that they scrapped to start tossing in random shallow content.

I think everyone can see this is true if they take a serious honest look. Rare starved the game for months with short lived lackluster content like a fish gasping for air out of water. Shrink the game down and surprise other ships and pirates on the sea really do exist.

• @x-crowheart-x said in [Mega Thread] Sea of Thieves: The Arena:

@gow-fluid said in [Mega Thread] Sea of Thieves: The Arena:

@dekeita said in [Mega Thread] Sea of Thieves: The Arena:

I think everyone can see this is true if they take a serious honest look. Rare starved the game for months with short lived lackluster content like a fish gasping for air out of water. Shrink the game down and surprise other ships and pirates on the sea really do exist.

Honestly, adding fish gasping for air would have been better content than 99% of what has been added up to this point. lol.

• Seems that once they add fog it will be even harder to find ships on "normal servers". Another ploy to get people who wanna pvp in to the arena ?

"sigh"

• @x-Crowheart-x @GOW-fluid @Trickrtreat01 Is there anything in Sea of Thieves that you guys like? even with the stuff that Rare have just talked about will be released in Shrouded Spoils in the Mixer livestream, i'm getting the feeling that you guys will still say "boring, where is the real content, Rare?".

• @dark-henrik-22 said in [Mega Thread] Sea of Thieves: The Arena:

are anyone watching the Mixer video?

they are also talking about shrouded spoils.

Not much mate. They cannot stop hyping arena mode. However the did reveal cooking, fisihing, and other things players really want to see is still mostly on a whiteboard.

Again like lowering gold everywhere and adding a 25,000 gold chest to entice players to play in the Devil’s Roar, they are making better looking gear for the arena to play a smaller version of the same game. What a con job!

• Have no fear, pirate hot tubs are here!

@x-Crowheart-x @GOW-fluid @Trickrtreat01 Is there anything in Sea of Thieves that you guys like? even with the stuff that Rare have just talked about will be released in Shrouded Spoils in the Mixer livestream, i'm getting the feeling that you guys will still say "boring, where is the real content, Rare?".

There were high expectations for first two "huge" updates, what we had at release - 3 new skins and 2 sails ? All islands still to be empty, no AI ships except "naval fort", no new enemies except 10 variations of skeletons, and still 3 type of voyages(with small variations)....1 year after release....sandbox you say? sandbox without the sand !

• Whelp, I think this is the end of the road for me. It seems there isn't any effort being put into improving the sandbox experience in any meaningful way, and instead of finding better ways to encourage more dynamic player versus player encounters, it's being shoved into a new game mode, which quite frankly is the least creative way to solve the issue and, as has happened with every game before it that has similarly segregated PvP from the main game into new game modes, will ultimately detract from the main experience. It's a real shame, this started as a pretty amazing experience and could have truly remained something special. It's been fun and all but the tides are clearly turning, and it's time I put this one behind me.

• @drunkpunk138 said in [Mega Thread] Sea of Thieves: The Arena:

Whelp, I think this is the end of the road for me. It seems there isn't any effort being put into improving the sandbox experience in any meaningful way, and instead of finding better ways to encourage more dynamic player versus player encounters, it's being shoved into a new game mode, which quite frankly is the least creative way to solve the issue and, as has happened with every game before it that has similarly segregated PvP from the main game into new game modes, will ultimately detract from the main experience. It's a real shame, this started as a pretty amazing experience and could have truly remained something special. It's been fun and all but the tides are clearly turning, and it's time I put this one behind me.

There were two issues though. The PVE was just not a compelling experience and did not have the longevity, No amount of mechanics were likely going to keep the player base. The arena is what I thought I was buying to begin with really. The fact that voyages were individualized meant no one really had any reason to bother each other and attempting to pirate wasn't necessary because there was effectively an infinite amount of loot. I could take it from you or an island. The arena is still a sand box. If you were watching the stream today its shared maps, fight for loot. Its not an entirely different way of playing but a small tweak to make loot more rare.

This is exactly a way to encourage player vs player encounters in a sandbox. Arena mode creates rarety and now there is a need to pirate if you failed to get the loot.

• I watched the panel and it does seem like an interesting concept and something I might dip into from time to time but Adventure mode will be the main mode for me. Wish it was going to be more elegantly integrated into the main game and not a menu option. And I just hope this doesn’t split the community too much.

That Tavern sounds cool.... can we have one in Adventure Mode too. Pretty please.

• @savagetwinky

For excellent arena experience you have "BlackWake", who need SoT half-done bad copy after BW?

• I don't think this will result in zero PvP (PvE Only) on the adventure servers.
    There are numerous reasons why that likely won't happen.
    First off, the freedom to attack will remain.
    More importantly, not only will there be players that prefer PvP in the adventure game, but there will be more players getting more comfortable, and potentially more skilled, at PvP via the Arena, and they may be more welcoming to fights on the seas (and possibly more aggressive).

Given those realities, I do not believe it is at all accurate to say that the PvP and PvE communities will now be split.

Especially since the core player-base of this game is neither of the two, but a mix of both. The extremes - players who want no PvP and players who want constant PvP are extremes and want the main game to be something that it was never designed to be.
    Similarly, the Arena may not only give players (and streamers) the near constant PvP action they've been craving for all this time - it will likely also give the middle ground players a new, and interesting, experience.

I know, as someone that doesn't want constant PvP, I still enjoy the PvP in this game - but only when it is mutually desired. I've had tons of fun fighting over skull forts. And I'm looking forward to having an outlet that is specifically for combat - even though my main love of the game, and most of my time spent, will be in the adventure game.

Many people used to 'Fort Hop' (and still do, to a degree). This is going to provide exactly that (but more).

I understand some fear, some hesitancy... but I'm seeing a lot of assumptions and I'm not convinced about the reasoning behind those assumptions.

I think it'll be alright. ;) Even better, mayhaps.

@x-Crowheart-x @GOW-fluid @Trickrtreat01 Is there anything in Sea of Thieves that you guys like? even with the stuff that Rare have just talked about will be released in Shrouded Spoils in the Mixer livestream, i'm getting the feeling that you guys will still say "boring, where is the real content, Rare?".

You are condensing my words like Rare is condensing the SoT.

I like the idea of fog and ship customization. We already knew that was coming. I also like rewards for meg and the kraken which I have said was needed in many threads. Skeleton fleet battles always needed to be anywhere in the open sea.

• @symbioto said in [Mega Thread] Sea of Thieves: The Arena:

@savagetwinky

For excellent arena experience you have "BlackWake", who need SoT half-done bad copy after BW?

Well I don't think this is an "arena" experience. It sounds essentially like playing SoT but with limited loot creating a necessity to engage with other players, either because your digging up loot they want or vice versa. They weren't entirely forthright about details but... based on what they are saying, this doesn't sound like death match or last man standing style games at all.

• Out of curiosity, is this new tavern with a hot tub a safe space? Along with never splitting the player base, we have been consistently reassured there would absolutely be no safe spaces in SoT?

• @ant-heuser-kush said in [Mega Thread] Sea of Thieves: The Arena:

@savagetwinky It's another fetch quest except this time we will all fight over the same castaway chests. Why do any of the work when I can just kill you at the outpost? How is this any different from Adventure Mode? The same rules apply, the winner cashed in the most loot. I don't have to do anything when I can just steal your loot. I know the first thing I'm doing is eating all the bananas.

Never ever let anyone grab your bananas mate! : )

@savagetwinky It's another fetch quest except this time we will all fight over the castaway chests. Why do any of the work when I can just kill you at the outpost? How is this any different from Adventure Mode? The same rules apply, the winner cashed in the most loot. I don't have to do anything when I can just steal your loot. I know the first thing I'm doing is eating all the bananas.

There is nothing wrong with fetch quests. Its like complaining that there is another level that you have to run to the right in classic mario games. Or just another find a star / hat in the 3d mario games. The entire point of an objective in a game isn't that the objective is important, its getting to the objective can create a challenge and or engaging on its own. The PVE in SoT would have worked fine if there was more actual gameplay and emergent moments getting the loot. It was just completely unreliable to happen. If there plan is for emergent play, adventure mode is fundamentally broken because there aren't enough inputs to actually create emergent moments. The vast majority of playing the game is generally dull until you actually get to one of those moments. Once you learned how to sail, it was basically like auto pilot. Nothing to keep your attention.

How do you know which outposts someone will be at? How do you know the person you are setting a trap for will have the most loot? Your giving up all the opportunities to secure loot in hopes you can steal it on the back end. Its something they may not be worth doing so... thats why you might not want to do it. But that scenario is something that can happen...

• @savagetwinky actually, the Mario argument does not work. In the Mario games, there are different ways on how you get the star while in Sea of Thieves, you just follow the map to the island and then just need to figure out where the loot is. There are so far no other challenges or alterations to how you get it. unlike in the Mario games.

• @conroar said in [Mega Thread] Sea of Thieves: The Arena:

I really like this idea, hopefully theres some exclusive items for the top players so they can distinguish themselves. PL gear doesnt feel very special anymore

That’s because there was incredibly only one set of clothes.

@savagetwinky actually, the Mario argument does not work. In the Mario games, there are different ways on how you get the star while in Sea of Thieves, you just follow the map to the island and then just need to figure out where the loot is. There are so far no other challenges or alterations to how you get it. unlike in the Mario games.

Actually the argument does work... if you actually read what I was responding to and how I elaborated that SoT failed to make a compelling experience between objectives, and arena mode seeks to solve that. In fact your summing up my argument...

So the base game sucks, no one wants to fight or steal loot so let's create the same game where no one has to really fight? I hope Arena is a HUGE success or we will just end up with two of the same; Arena if you're short on time or Adventure Mode if you have all day.

There won't be 6 outpost. It's a condensed map. I don't care who has the most loot as long as your crew has 0.

It will be much more fun to deny people loot that they worked for... We all have the same maps... I just have to follow you around.

There is more than one person... you can follow someone, and they may turn around and attack you, and everyone else will just scoop up the loot and you will lose.

Your argument sounds like a resentful child that is bad at a soccer game and keeps kicking it out of bounds so no one can score. There isn't two teams though so you will lose repeatedly while someone else wins because you weren't trying to go after the goal but just sabotage one other ship.

• @khaleesibot So all the PvE players that constantly whine and complain and moan and groan about being shot up by some hardcore PvPers are now going to moan that we are moving to a different server/mode!!

Then tell me what content they have added to this game that is worth doing more than once, or worth doing beyond getting commendations done? The CORE LOOP of the game is monotonous and repetitive. There is NOTHING to do beyond Athena 10. You think those problems will be repaired by adding an arena mode? Do you honestly consider "fog" to be actual game content?

@savagetwinky It's another fetch quest except this time we will all fight over the same castaway chests. Why do any of the work when I can just kill you at the outpost? How is this any different from Adventure Mode? The same rules apply, the winner cashed in the most loot. I don't have to do anything when I can just steal your loot. I know the first thing I'm doing is eating all the bananas.

Outpost camping does not really work. It is a very unreliable method for stealing loot from others unless you know where your prey is going to turn in. It cannot see that strategy working out in Arena mode unless they have only one outpost.

• @gow-fluid said in [Mega Thread] Sea of Thieves: The Arena:

@dark-henrik-22 said in [Mega Thread] Sea of Thieves: The Arena:

Then tell me what content they have added to this game that is worth doing more than once, or worth doing beyond getting commendations done? The CORE LOOP of the game is monotonous and repetitive. There is NOTHING to do beyond Athena 10. You think those problems will be repaired by adding an arena mode? Do you honestly consider "fog" to be actual game content?

Voyaging is still worth doing because of the compelling moments that the game can potentially make. Athena 10 has always been pointless from a functional standpoint.

• I was doubted for SoT making a focused pvp dlc. I got sorry messages for being doubted. This is freaking awesome! I'm a tease analyzer! My crew can't wait to #bemorepirate

Publications
Vues
391 sur 520