[Mega Thread] Play Anywhere and Cross Play - Part 4

• alt text

As this is a hot topic in the community, we have created a mega thread focused on Microsoft's 'Play Anywhere' (Cross Play) between the two platforms (Windows 10 PC and Xbox One) in Sea of Thieves.

From our Design Deep Dive - Cross Play:

Here at Rare we’re building Sea of Thieves in complete feature parity across platforms. An interesting part of cross play is how wide it throws open the doors for different communities to engage and play together, and therefore increases the wealth of stories you’re likely to tell.

Here's previous discussions on this topic:

As you participate in this thread -

Keep to the Pirate Code
    As a reminder, the Pirate Code is more than just guidelines (though the reference really never gets old), but the rules of the community and game that we expect all members to abide by when participating on the forums. Any member who fails to abide by the code may find themselves put in the brig, or removed from the community.

We also have Forum Rules, which we moderate to.

Publications
    Vues
  • @khaleesibot give us optional crossplay, a choice before choosing ships, xbox only, pc only, crossplay. Please do not remove it entirely.

• I love the ability to play crossplay and would continue to do so, but please for the love of god give atleast Xbox players the choice to disable crossplay if they are an all Xbox crew. Enough people would do it that it wouldn’t cause a problem, but not so many that it would. Xbox are the majority of your games population from what I have heard, it’s only sensible to give them this option like any other crossplay game I’ve ever heard of has.

And this is not anything against pc players.

• @a-cranky-eskimo said in [Mega Thread] Play Anywhere and Cross Play - Part 4:

I love the ability to play crossplay and would continue to do so, but please for the love of god give atleast Xbox players the choice to disable crossplay if they are an all Xbox crew. Enough people would do it that it wouldn’t cause a problem, but not so many that it would. Xbox are the majority of your games population from what I have heard, it’s only sensible to give them this option like any other crossplay game I’ve ever heard of has.

And this is not anything against pc players.

But don't you know that you would split something very precious if this option goes through? That is pure evil!

• As said in the previous threads, just give us the option to disable crossplay. There isnt a way it can be balanced for console without destroying it for PC players.

Like every other brilliant crossplay game on console let us opt out if we dont want to play handicapped.

Im pretty sure if you gave us that option the number of threads claiming about hacker will reduce drastically.

• @khaleesibot for a game that is not focused on PvP, or competitive in anyway, I do not see why a Cross play disabled option is being focused on so much, especially when there is so much more that needs to be added into the game content wise.

The so called PC advantage is so minor that it's not even worth mentioning. A lot of posts made on the forum regarding this are either trolls, or simply people who are angry that other people are better than them, and therefore blame it on PC "advantage".

For example, there was a post last week titled "PC one tap Blunderbuss Bullc***". The OP then went on about how the Blunderbuss was more powerful for PC players and only require a "one tap". He failed to realise that the Blunderbuss does not require multiple key Xbox, and also it one shot him as the shooter snuck onto his ship and shot him point blank.

Another post I was commenting on earlier goes on about how the PC players can "Jump faster" and how we have this really unfair advantage where we "jump around and are really difficult to hit", also known by the wider gaming community as "Dodging". Also he claimed that we could reload and swing swords faster, which is simply untrue, an he clearly has never seen a PC game.

Wanna say that I have nothing against Xbox players, but people that blame others or make excuses for their own shortcomings aren't worth listening to. A lot of people saying that PC has an advantage just need to play the game more and get better. Realise I'll get hate for saying that but it's somewhat true.

• @cnt-thelrox Evil?

• @thewolfman321 have you spent any time in these forums? It may not have been Rare’s vision but there is definitely a strong emphasis on the pvp side of things, in a game where you can spend a good few hours gathering loot to then have it taken away in minutes from players who (however slight you may claim it) have an advantage at the most base level (controls), you really do have to look at the options. I have done a lot of searching and not found one single game with ‘forced’ crossplay. The majority want options, not removal. The fact that this megathread is now at part 4 shows we have their attention.

• @thewolfman321 said in [Mega Thread] Play Anywhere and Cross Play - Part 4:

@khaleesibot for a game that is not focused on PvP, or competitive in anyway, I do not see why a Cross play disabled option is being focused on so much, especially when there is so much more that needs to be added into the game content wise.

The so called PC advantage is so minor that it's not even worth mentioning. A lot of posts made on the forum regarding this are either trolls, or simply people who are angry that other people are better than them, and therefore blame it on PC "advantage".

For example, there was a post last week titled "PC one tap Blunderbuss Bullc***". The OP then went on about how the Blunderbuss was more powerful for PC players and only require a "one tap". He failed to realise that the Blunderbuss does not require multiple key Xbox, and also it one shot him as the shooter snuck onto his ship and shot him point blank.

Another post I was commenting on earlier goes on about how the PC players can "Jump faster" and how we have this really unfair advantage where we "jump around and are really difficult to hit", also known by the wider gaming community as "Dodging". Also he claimed that we could reload and swing swords faster, which is simply untrue, an he clearly has never seen a PC game.

Wanna say that I have nothing against Xbox players, but people that blame others or make excuses for their own shortcomings aren't worth listening to. A lot of people saying that PC has an advantage just need to play the game more and get better. Realise I'll get hate for saying that but it's somewhat true.

You won’t get hate but you can vs me bro, to prove we just want the option not becuase we are bad but because it makes sense to have the option, waaaaay more than there is any reason from the players perspective to not have it. Obviously Microsoft is trying hard to push this stuff and combine their platforms and start making more money on pc gaming. Which idc about, I’m not making the money, so just give us the option to opt out lol...

Beyond that the precision of aim and speed of target acquisition with a mouse is night and day better compared to a thumb stick.

Add in graphics and frame rate and load time advantages and you could spend an hour to then lose your stuff from an unfair advantage, plain and simple.

Don’t get me started on them buffing the EOR for the sake of mousepads and leaving us Xbox players without any change. Increasing an already noticeable advantage. Pc players can spin around like a top and stop on a dime.

You really have to be willfully ignorant to not see the advantage if both players play on a competitive level, or are equally skilled.

And unless they are garbage at game design adding a way to toggle server options shouldn’t get in the way of any content development. Should be easy to accomplish.

• @solidsnakemig yes, due to the lack of content, but that's a conversation for another thread.

The focus is not meant to be PvP as you said, so the fact that some people have made it their objective is not really Rares problem really, or the fault of the few PC players that make up small percentage of the player base. And one of you Xbox players really need to do a comparison of PC and Xbox to prove this advantage you claim we have.

Also yes, none of the few games that have cross play force it, but the majority of these are competitive games (i.e. Rocket League), so can't really be used as comparison to a non competitive, non PvP focused, open world exploration game.

Anyway, I'm just saying my piece, I'm aware that a lot of Xbox players are calling for it, but that's not my concern. My concern is why.

• @a-cranky-eskimo I'd happily take that challenge, because you'd probably kill me and steal my loot, proving my own point :D

That's fair enough and you're probably right, maybe they are just forcing this to increase PC sales.

My claim is that as a player of both console and PC, the advantages are so slight that they are not worth focusing on. Not ignorance as you say, but experience. I fully agree that the load times and graphic advantages are a thing, but that's something that Rare can address with limitations on render distance.

I do get what you're all saying, but my problem is I don't want this to take precedence over the other issues the game has, i.e. lack of content and events.

• @thewolfman321 per your request... https://www.seaofthieves.com/forum/topic/54922/pc-vs-xbox-my-experience/1

Go have a chat with Daddy, he seems a fair chap and has access to both.

• To be honestly, I don't see what's the big deal about adding the option to disable cross-play for platform specific instances. As pc players do have a distinct advantage that at a basic level has to do with analog input versus digital input. Responsiveness, rotation movement and damage registration all are significantly better on a pc. Of course there are various things that can influence this like connectivity of your Internet connection.

That said, I'm not even talking about, that the entire gameclient has been hacked/crack and is illegally downloadable, with aimbots various other forms of manipulation that are easily applied to this game as it is now on pc.

The option to turn off cross-play, would easily fix some of these annoyances on the short-term.
    And if I want to play with a friend on the PC we will always have the option to turn it on to be moved to a cross-play server instance.
    There could also introduce some sort of instant balancing based on killed death ratios, putting players/crews together in server instants brackets based on that, if that is not already the case?

• @khaleesibot

Here at Rare we’re building Sea of Thieves in complete feature parity across platforms.

Unfortunately a lot of xbox players are finding out that this isn't the case. There is not complete parity across platforms at all, the xbox players are at a major disadvantage when in close quarters combat.

All other crossplay games that have any form of CQC all have the option to disable crossplay. That option is there because all the devs on the other games KNOW that it is impossible to balance the precision & accuracy of a kb+m to an analogue thumbstick!

I play on xbox & pc, i see the advantages plain as day, so i am at a loss as to why this has not been addressed sooner.
    Rare are obviously aware there is an issue due to the volume of threads about crossplay, but have yet to make any official statement on the subject. This again is disappointing for the community & comes across as rather uncaring towards the xbox players. Even if it was something small like 'we are aware of the controller balancing issues & are working hard to try & find alternatives before considering optional crossplay' or something similar :D

Don't get me wrong, i DO like the crossplay feature, as i love playing with my PC buddies & have made a lot of new friends through SOT who are also pc players.
    I would only ever disable crossplay if i was sailing solo, as that is when the disadvantages become their most noticeable.

• These mega threads are stupid.

Trying to think of a better comparison, but all I've got right now is it feels like a parent giving a child a turned off controller so they can pretend they're playing the video game but really the parent is.

In their podcasts and videos about what the biggest issues are, this topic doesn't come up. They don't comment on it here, there's only the references to their design deep dive and inn side story. They've made up their mind and they're just letting the children squabble back and forth on the forums tiring themselves out until they're eventually ready for a nap.

Waste of time.

Also, add optional crossplay fools.

• @solidsnakemig said in [Mega Thread] Play Anywhere and Cross Play - Part 4:

@khaleesibot give us optional crossplay, a choice before choosing ships, xbox only, pc only, crossplay. Please do not remove it entirely.

Better yet, give the option to limit the game to controller only so even people on the PC can opt out of being owned by kb/m players.

• @soulless-rager said in [Mega Thread] Play Anywhere and Cross Play - Part 4:

These mega threads are stupid.

Trying to think of a better comparison, but all I've got right now is it feels like a parent giving a child a turned off controller so they can pretend they're playing the video game but really the parent is.

In their podcasts and videos about what the biggest issues are, this topic doesn't come up. They don't comment on it here, there's only the references to their design deep dive and inn side story. They've made up their mind and they're just letting the children squabble back and forth on the forums tiring themselves out until they're eventually ready for a nap.

Waste of time.

Also, add optional crossplay fools.

I came to the same conclusion that's why I refuse to touch the game till we have optional crossplay.

I got tired about pointing out the issues with forced crossplay. Blabla it would split the playerbase (this needs to be a meme), blabla the game is not competitive therefore it doesn't matter that you're playing disadvantaged, blabla just buy m/k or a pc.

Always the same c****y "arguments" while Rare are praising themvelves and your valid criticisms are getting buried by a plethora of yes-men.

• @logansdadtoo You realize crossplay has nothing to do with kb/m vs controller... PC players using a controller face the same kind of imbalance.

• @savagetwinky
    Well it does as you cannot use kb+m on an xbox, but anyway I apologise for the generalisation of all pc players being kb+m ;)

• @logansdadtoo said in [Mega Thread] Play Anywhere and Cross Play - Part 4:

@savagetwinky
    Well it does as you cannot use kb+m on an xbox, but anyway I apologise for the generalisation of all pc players being kb+m ;)

My point is the problem isn't cross play, its kb/m vs controller. Why disable crossplay when there are PC players that want to be in a controller only group of players for equal control limitations.

• @savagetwinky
    I have put forward the idea of & rallied for controller only servers also m8! I would be 100% behind the idea as it still gets rid of the kb+m advantage.
    I would like to see any solution to the controller vs kb+m problem

Not sure how it would work though, as when i use controller on pc i can still use the keyboard & mouse as well, so on pc i play as a 'hybrid' type player. I use my controller for sailing, exploring etc, but as soon as i get into battle i switch to kb+m. Works out very well for me ;)

• @logansdadtoo said in [Mega Thread] Play Anywhere and Cross Play - Part 4:

@savagetwinky
    I have put forward the idea of & rallied for controller only servers also m8! I would be 100% behind the idea as it still gets rid of the kb+m advantage.
    I would like to see any solution to the controller vs kb+m problem

Not sure how it would work though, as when i use controller on pc i can still use the keyboard & mouse as well, so on pc i play as a 'hybrid' type player. I use my controller for sailing, exploring etc, but as soon as i get into battle i switch to kb+m. Works out very well for me ;)

Yah I'm just trying to redirect the conversation away from crossplay. It really isn't the problem just something easy to yell at. But seeing as I'm a PC player with a controller most of the time* I would like to see the option for all players.

• @savagetwinky KB+M is only a small part of the issue. If SoT on XBox suddenly supported kb+m there would still be a imbalance. It still wouldn't fix the huge gap in speed.
    I can see Rare working on things. They have tried to improve the re-spawn time from the Ferry. That's a good first step.

• Does anyone know when the next dev stream will be? We need to all over them on this issue.

• @honusdan said in [Mega Thread] Play Anywhere and Cross Play - Part 4:

@savagetwinky KB+M is only a small part of the issue. If SoT on XBox suddenly supported kb+m there would still be a imbalance. It still wouldn't fix the huge gap in speed.
    I can see Rare working on things. They have tried to improve the re-spawn time from the Ferry. That's a good first step.

well this is another problem on PC unless everyone is using nvme ssd drives and a i7

• I like the console players in my Skull Fort groups, I would miss them if they were gone.

I would have to refer to the game as the Ocean of Tears because I would be that sad my xbox friends were gone forever.

• Make the game controller only, or give option for a controller-only server.

• The only issue with crossplay I have is the more options win10 users have to communicate. On Xbox we have to either be in game chat or party chat. On windows 10 they can be in party chat and game chat at the same time and they have access to text chat!

Just please enable text chat on Xbox. I’d love to just type out my intentions to nearby crews and if I want to tell my mute crew mates there is a shipwreck north I’d rather just type it in than cycle through several items looking for the preset text options.

Gears of war 4 is crossplay and the Xbox version allows us to press T on our chatpads/keyboards to type in-game. SoT’s is crying out for it and it’s absent.

@Rare-Employee @TEDDY-25

• @thewolfman321 said in [Mega Thread] Play Anywhere and Cross Play - Part 4:

I do get what you're all saying, but my problem is I don't want this to take precedence over the other issues the game has, i.e. lack of content and events.

To be fair, one of the biggest reasons I'd like to see optional cross-play added as soon as possible is so that we can try to stop being at each others throats and focus on other areas that would benefit PVP/PVE/PC/Xbox/etc.
    (Not saying you were at someones throat, just a generalization)

• @greaseman85 said in [Mega Thread] Play Anywhere and Cross Play - Part 4:

Make the game controller only, or give option for a controller-only server.

The problem there is that no matter how many things like that we change to make PC/Xbox comparable, there will ALWAYS be someone that feels the system is unbalanced.

• @cpt-peach-beard said in [Mega Thread] Play Anywhere and Cross Play - Part 4:

I like the console players in my Skull Fort groups, I would miss them if they were gone.

I would have to refer to the game as the Ocean of Tears because I would be that sad my xbox friends were gone forever.

Make sure they know to keep cross-play turned on if we get the option. That simple.

• @greaseman85 said in [Mega Thread] Play Anywhere and Cross Play - Part 4:

Make the game controller only, or give option for a controller-only server.

This just will not be a viable solution, if you are that ignorant to think that there is no program out there to emulate a controller on a PC...nuff said.

And to all the PC players out to who are too self absorbed or just plain ignorant and say that PC has a small advantage, you're wrong. Plain and simple, they have a hardware advantage. That equates to more precise movements, increased accuracy, higher frame rates, faster load times.

Also lets not forget the s**m of the PC world with the PC cheaters who use mods and cheats to ruin the reputation of the honest PC players, and the gaming experience. Once again to say there is little to none is also ignorant. Yes there might/is a different kind of cheating that happens on Xbox, but however it is more wide spread and easier to do on a PC.

Basically anyone who is against giving the player a CHOICE to disable cross-play is just an ignorant person.

• @x-riddler-x Except for the game being designed from the ground up to minimize differences in platform and play style. The whole games been balanced around cross play, its why the guns have slow projectiles, no crossheirs, and no headshots. Its why the cannons have a maximum move speed, why draw distance is capped to the same distance on all systems, and why only two weapons can be held.

These are all there to narrow the advantage a player can have in the game as much as possible.

If there was a statistically significant balance issue in the game they would have seen it in beta and made crossplay optional. The fact that it went live indicates there is no statistically significant difference. Actually theres a dev video or post somewhere talking about this specifically, where they mention they balanced the devices to within a %5 margin in PvP.

• @soulless-rager said in [Mega Thread] Play Anywhere and Cross Play - Part 4:

These mega threads are stupid.

I wish I could give more upvotes for this!

• cross play good

Publications
Vues
1 sur 480