Restoring A Ship Should Be Free. Requiring Gold Encourages Griefing Ship Owners.

• I don't see why I should have to spend a single dubloon to cosmetically fix my ship after a 4-man [mod edit] decided 'That single person is the sloop who can't fight back is technically PvP'.

The way it's set up now; they get to grief me AND force me to spend money to fix their [mod edit] actions.
    And the griefers KNOW THIS; They see a Captained Ship and know that any damage they do requires hard-earned money to fix.

I was, literally, sitting in port, reading over the Captain info, when a 4-man rolled up, shot me with a drunk cannonball so I could not fight back, proceeded to firebomb my ship, sniped me, and then just hammered my ship.
    I decided to scuttle, because to hell with [mod edit] that, and now I had to spend a little over 2k gold to fix their [mod edit] actions. I would bet you money that they are laughing up their sleeves at making me spend money to fix their [mod edit] actions.

Basically; making captains spend money to repair damage is encouraging griefing. Larger crews know that, even if a ship gets away, the captain will have to spend actual money to fix their damage.
    Which means griefers are encouraged to hunt down named ships to inflict actual progress setbacks (IE: gold) on the owner.
    Why is there a mechanic that encourages being toxic to ship owners?

Publications
    Vues
    feedback
  • Just keep it like that and don't repair. It's authentic battle damage.

• @ayaya8192 said in Restoring A Ship Should Be Free. Requiring Gold Encourages Griefing Ship Owners.:

Just keep it like that and don't repair. It's authentic battle damage.

And what about the people who scuttle to avoid spawn campers? They get to sail around with 15 boards patching their ship.
    Or the people who like their ship to look new?

'Just ignore it' is not a fix for the fact that repairs requiring actual currency to fix encourages trolls to hunt down ship owners.
    Trolls/Griefers are people who will go 10 miles out of their way to feel the little spark of joy at THINKING they ruined someone's day. That's why they are Trolls/Griefers.
    And forcing people to spend gold to fix damage inflicted by these people is actively encouraging them to go Captain hunting.

• This post is borderline toxic.

• @d3adst1ck said in Restoring A Ship Should Be Free. Requiring Gold Encourages Griefing Ship Owners.:

This post is borderline toxic.

The post is from someone frustrated that they got 4v1'd by people who knew I had 0 treasure (I was sitting, unmoving, in port. Only a complete fool would have treasure while in a place to turn it in).
    This post is also by someone who knows what they did; They saw I had a Captained Ship and decided they could troll me by forcing me to fix , with money, cosmetic damage they can inflict for free.

• @eguzky Don't fix it then? Seems you're getting bent out of shape for something minor. Ships are going to get damaged. Are you going to get this cranky when a skeleton ship pops up beside you and damages it?

Name-calling and being this ignorant about an incident is way more toxic than shooting a ship with cannonballs.

• @d3adst1ck said in Restoring A Ship Should Be Free. Requiring Gold Encourages Griefing Ship Owners.:

@eguzky Don't fix it then? Seems you're getting bent out of shape for something minor. Ships are going to get damaged. Are you going to get this cranky when a skeleton ship pops up beside you and damages it?

Name-calling and being this ignorant about an incident is way more toxic than shooting a ship with cannonballs.

So the answer is, again, 'Just ignore it?'
    See above how some people want a clean ship.

Getting cosmetic damage from skeletons, legit PvP, and Krakens and Megs is fine.
    But the fact that IT COSTS MONEY TO FIX flat-out encourages trolls to hunt Captained Ships to inflict free damage that player now has to PAY TO FIX.

'Just ignore it' does not fix this clear and present abuse of the system. A system that ENCOURAGES toxic people to hunt down Sloopers to force them to pay for the troll's free damage.
    Once again; I was treasureless, unmoving, IN PORT, and these [mod edit] rolled up and attacked me with Cursed Cannonballs, killed me, and firebombed & sunk my Sloop.
    IN PORT AND TREASURELESS. FOUR AGAINST ONE.
    They did it exactly to make me pay for their 30 seconds of amusement. They got NOTHING else past laughing up their sleeves that the system FORCES me to pay for their entertainment if I don't want my ship to look like a scow.

Or sure; I can 'just ignore it' and the trolls continue to pick and choose their fights to 4v1 Sloopers and force them to pay for repairs. Because that's a GREAT way to keep players. /s

Let me ask you this; would removing the cost to repair cosmetic damage in any way impact your game?
    because removing the cost would remove the ONE thing encouraging trolls to Sloop-hunt.
    So tell me why you're against it.

• @eguzky said in Restoring A Ship Should Be Free. Requiring Gold Encourages Griefing Ship Owners.:

Oh no, you lost no time and money. What a travesty.

• It's not appropriate to internet diagnose people, ever
    especially over gameplay preferences and differences

I fought 50 skellies/players and took significant damage before I repaired for the first time, it was just under 9k

it'll be alright, people shoot cannonballs because they are playing the pirate game, that's all it is

@eguzky said in Restoring A Ship Should Be Free. Requiring Gold Encourages Griefing Ship Owners.:

Oh no, you lost no time and money. What a travesty.

Just don't post if you can't understand the point of the thread. Please. Do everyone this favor.

@wolfmanbush said in Restoring A Ship Should Be Free. Requiring Gold Encourages Griefing Ship Owners.:

It's not appropriate to internet diagnose people, ever
    especially over gameplay preferences and differences

I fought 50 skellies/players and took significant damage before I repaired for the first time, it was just under 9k

it'll be alright, people shoot cannonballs because they are playing the pirate game, that's all it is

And they forced me to lose money while they gained nothing but the satisfaction of knowing I had to pay for their actions.

Why are people against a simple fix that:

1. Removes a clear trolling issue.
    2. Does not adversely affect the game?
  • @eguzky said in Restoring A Ship Should Be Free. Requiring Gold Encourages Griefing Ship Owners.:

And they forced me to lose money

I believe you chose to spend money here.

@eguzky said in Restoring A Ship Should Be Free. Requiring Gold Encourages Griefing Ship Owners.:

And they forced me to lose money

I believe you chose to spend money here.

No, because I wanted a clean ship, and they sunk me for no reason other than knowing I would have to pay if I wanted a clean ship.

You going to address the point that requiring gold payments to fix damage encourages griefing? Will you give any points as to why needing to spend money adds anything to the game? Or you just going to ignore it to make snide comments?
    Because if you're not going to address the actual point of the thread; you can just go away.

You going to address the point that requiring gold payments to fix damage encourages griefing? Or you just going to ignore it to make snide comments?
    Because if you're not going to address the actual point of the thread; you can just go away.

It's not encouraging griefing because it's your choice to spend money to fix it or not.

I'm making snide comments because it's not possible to have a conversation with someone as irrationally angry as you appear to be.

I also don't have to go anywhere :)

You going to address the point that requiring gold payments to fix damage encourages griefing? Or you just going to ignore it to make snide comments?

It's not encouraging griefing because it's your choice to spend money to fix it or not.

I'm making snide comments because it's not possible to have a conversation with someone as irrationally angry as you appear to be.

I also don't have to go anywhere :)

Let me try to say it more clearly, as I do have trouble communicating:

If repairs require money to fix; trolls will run in 4-mans and attack solo-sloopers, because they KNOW they have the better odds of winning.
    When they damage that ship. They KNOW the slooper now has to spend hard-earned gold to fix the damage. What did the trolls spend? Nothing. A free cannonball or 10.

Because of this unbalanced mechanic in favor of trolls and griefing; trolls can find, and attack, small Captained Ships at-will and know every shot fired is money out of that players pockets if they don't want their ship to look like trash.
    They know they inflicted aggravation; the main goal of trolls & griefers everywhere. Because now the Captain either has to:

1. Let their ship look like trash.
    2. Pay to fix it.

NOW do you see why this mechanic encourages griefing? it's lose/lose for Captains and win/win for trolls; Either the ship now looks like trash, or it costs money to fix.
    The trolls won; they inflicted aggravation either way.
    But let me guess; just ignore it instead of taking away the mechanic being abused?

Why are you against removing the cost when the cost does not add anything but an easily-abused method to be trolled? Answer that as well.

When they damage that ship. They KNOW the slooper now has to spend hard-earned gold to fix the damage. What did the trolls spend? Nothing. A free cannonball or 10.

Maybe they bought those cannonballs and are wasting their own gold?

Why are you against removing the cost when the cost does not add anything but an easily-abused method to be trolled? Answer that as well.

Because restoring a ship also repairs all holes, mast damage, puts out fires and removes water. I don't think that should be free.

Maybe they bought those cannonballs and are wasting their own gold?

Because restoring a ship also repairs all holes, mast damage, puts out fires and removes water. I don't think that should be free.

I was unaware of that second point, but let me address them in order:
    Point 1:
    Who would buy cannonballs when you can find 10 per barrel? I mean, I guess people CAN buy them, but that seems silly.

Point 2:
    How? You can only repair in port or at the login screen, right? You can't repair in the middle of the ocean...Unless you leave and your friends stay on your ship?
    That does seem abuseable, so I will alter my proposed suggestion:
    Repairing your ship should be free if you are at the login screen & your ship is de-spawned. So it can't be repaired for free while it's in the game world, holding treasure, or being crewed.
    I will admit I thought it only fixed cosmetic damage, not actual damage, because I did not know of any way to repair it mid-journey.

Edit: Or a second option; Repair Cosmetic Damage:
    This can only be picked if your ship is healthy (No holes or mast damage). Has no water in it, and is not on fire.
    It's free and ONLY fixes cosmetic damage.

• @eguzky Some of your posts have been edited as they go against the Forum Rules and Pirate Code.

ALWAYS:

Be courteous. Don’t insult players you don’t know. If humour is the intent, remember that this can be lost or misinterpreted online, and words can very easily offend. Be mindful of what you’re saying and if someone asks a question, see if you can help them out as you’d appreciate being helped out yourself if the roles were reversed.

Name calling, personal attacks and using derogatory language against Community Members, Rare Employees, Global Moderators or Deckhands is not acceptable. Using such language will result in a warning, then temporary ban from the Forums and a final warning. If the action is persistent or increasingly aggressive, a permanent ban from the Forums will be issued.

Please read and abide by the Forum Rules and Pirate Code in future.

Thank you.

Point 1:
    Who would buy cannonballs when you can find 10 per barrel? I mean, I guess people CAN buy them, but that seems silly.

Lots of crews buy supplies when starting now in addition to cleaning out the barrels. More is always better when it comes to supplies.

Point 2:
    How? You can only repair in port or at the login screen, right? You can't repair in the middle of the ocean...Unless you leave and your friends stay on your ship?

You can also restore from the shipwright. This will take a nearly sunk Galleon to pristine and dry in less than a second.

Regardless, it's possible that whoever was attacking you was either:

1. wasting their own time and supplies sinking an empty ship.
    2. had a lot of loot on board and wanted to secure the outpost so they could safely turn in, or
    3. had to deliver cargo there and needed to secure the outpost.
  • @eguzky captains log is treasure…also you don’t know if someone still has loot on their ship when they at a outpost…..and no I don’t think ship repair should be free it’s your ship you want it to look clean pay the gold a few grand isn’t much in on the seas you can get that from a few chests heck sink a skeleton sloop you have more than enough

• I don't see why I should have to spend a single dubloon to cosmetically fix my ship

You-Don't-Have-Too.

Just let your ship be and it will operate the same.

The way it's set up now; they get to grief me AND force me to spend money to fix

Again. You-Don't-Have-Too Fix your ship.

And the griefers KNOW THIS; They see a Captained Ship and know that any damage they do requires hard-earned money to fix.

What about the Meg, Kraken, Skeleton ships, Phantom ships, Island Cannons?
    Think they know or Care?

I was, literally, sitting in port, reading over the Captain info, when a 4-man rolled up, shot me with a drunk cannonball so I could not fight back

First time playing SoT?

I decided to scuttle, because to hell

Okie.

I had to spend a little over 2k gold to fix

You didn't have too....and come on 2k? Really cheap.

I would bet you money that they are laughing up their sleeves at making me spend money to fix

I double that bet and say they just wanted you out of the way. Since you were at an Outpost and they had maybe Loot?

Basically; making captains spend money to repair damage is encouraging griefing

Capt spend money on Trinkets to make there ship look pretty.

Larger crews know that, even if a ship gets away, the captain will have to spend actual money to fix their damage.

What about other small ships? They do the same thing...and NO Capt wont have to spend 'actual money' to fix dmg.

Which means griefers are encouraged to hunt down named ships to inflict actual progress setbacks (IE: gold) on the owner.

Just by sailing around and doing nothing I earned 300,000 gold by finding chests or the Season gave me some. or Daily tasks. So difficult to earn gold.....

Why is there a mechanic that encourages being toxic to ship owners?

Yeah...toxic for being sunk...so toxic as a pirate.

Getting cosmetic damage from skeletons, legit PvP, and Krakens and Megs is fine.

oh sweet mother of the kraken, help this child. The Irony? or just wanting not spend money on a daily thing of having there ship Dmg ALL-The-Time. xD

• It's the price for letting the captain get ship milestones but not the crew.

• Nope. now I'm angry.
    I've been sunk FIVE TIMES with nothing on my ship. Clearly just a 'Screw this guy for being a Captain'

And then I had some lazy jerks literally watch me and a friend kill the Fire-Guy (The vortex) then gank us for the treasure while his friend camped the closest island so he could snipe anyone who returned with treasure.

This also made me lose the treasure maps I buried.

Nothing but griefing.

Edit: I have been attacked, ganked, stolen from, and sunk more times today than in the past 4 days combined.
    It can't just be coincidence.

Edit 2: Make that seven. Just had a solo slooper jump onto my ship because why not more BS?

Edit 3: This will be the SECOND EVENT that's spawned on the same island as my Captain Quest! ARGH!

• @eguzky If you are new at the game (it sounds like it), your best bet is to reverse roles and pvp instead of pve. Learn how to pvp first, so you can learn the mechanics to defend your ship and loot when the time is right. Most people do the reverse and have no idea how to defend themselves when more skilled players come in. I spent about 3-4 months just doing pvp when I first started, didn't even know you could put down a quest for the first month. :D

• I agree with the sentiment, but not the expression.

It's a death/combat/oops/activity tax for Captains.
    Not to mention you always have something to steal now (capt log)

I wouldn't go so far as calling it encouraging or griefing tho, just one more thing to keep up with.

• It's a PvPvE game, people can attack for any reason so stop calling them griefers, they are just regular SoT players, PvE or just crashing your ship can damage it so you would eventually get damage either way so it's that also considered griefing? Oh yeah, don't forget that paying for a new paint job is pretty cheap so I don't see the point complaining about that unless this is an elaborate troll/bait...

• It does seem weird that captains have to pay for a feature that's free when you aren't a captain.

• @scheneighnay said in Restoring A Ship Should Be Free. Requiring Gold Encourages Griefing Ship Owners.:

It does seem weird that captains have to pay for a feature that's free when you aren't a captain.

I know, right?
    I'd be happy if an option to repair the cosmetics of a ship for free was allowed. Not actual damage, but just the LOOK of being damaged.
    Make it so it can only be done on a healthy ship. IE: One that's already been repaired, bailed out, and extinguished.

• @eguzky I think it's a small price to pay for owning a boat, getting access to the sovereign, and making your boat notorious. If all else fails, run away...

• While I do not agree with the overall tone and accusations of the OP, I do agree with their sentiment about having to pay to repair cosmetic damage.

It seems like a downgrade from what we had before. Sure now we can save cosmetics to our ship for 250,000+ gold, but then if we want the ship looking nice we have to spend more gold as well?

I totally get some people wanting battle-damage on the ship to carry over to tell their ships' story. So just make that an option! You go into your ship menu and choose "retain cosmetic damage". For those who want a fresh-looking spawn, they can leave that option off. For those wanting to repair mid-session, then have that be something to pay for. That is a new feature and therefore a cost, especially if the repairs aren't only cosmetic, make sense. But if I would like a fresh hull without damage at the beginning of a session, that should be an option without having to pay gold for it. It's been the standard, and to pay gold for what has been the standard now feels like a downgrade in many ways.

I don't begrudge the option for persistent damage, I just think it should be just that: an option.

• @maximusarael020

That's part of the cost of having a named/captained ship. You still have the option of using an unnamed ship that fixes cosmetic damages upon sinking.

The whole thing is opt-in.

• @jumbie7311
    But... Why? There's already a cost to having a captained ship: a minimum of 250,000 gold AND the cost of saving your cosmetics to it.

It just seems odd that before the thought in game was "Hey Pirate! Here's a totally new ship for you to do whatever you want with! Cost? No no, no cost. Just go and adventure!" And now, "Hey Pirate! That's a fine vessel you have there. Oh, you want it to look nice? Oh that costs gold!"

Before they just kept giving us free ships for us to destroy, and now we have to pay to have the damaged look fixed? It's just... Not compelling.

Like I said, a cost to fix the ship mid-session? Sure! A cost to have to fix it at the beginning of a session just seems... like a punishment.

I just don't know why it can't just be an option for your captained ship to keep damage between session or not WITHOUT paying gold.

• I don't mind it costing money during your gameplay.

But it would have been nice that if you leave the server and later on start on a new server your ship would have been fixed too, it is a completely new server after all. Oh well....

• As you have now created a new thread, I will be dropping anchor here.

Anyone looking to get involved in this discussion should head on over here:

https://www.seaofthieves.com/community/forums/topic/150518/suggestion-repair-cosmetic-damage-should-be-an-option-free

Publications
Vues
feedback
32 sur 33