Five + player boats

• Hello! My crew always consists of five members and it's really frustrating not to play our favourite game together. We always have to split. We've tried to join the same server like a thousand times but it never works.

So, anyone else than me that would love them to add 5+ player boats? I completely understand that the gameplay would have to change and so on for it to be a good game, but still. Maybe the amount of money you get when selling items would have to be lower if you join a five crew boat. I promise it would be so great!

Kind regards, a pirate

Publications
    Vues
    questioncommunityfeedback
  • This would make PvP more unbalanced then it allready is with Galleon/Brig vs a sloop when both crews have around the same skills. And to make separate servers for ship types or a few ship types would be too much work i bet for Rare.

• I could see them introducing a "fleet" mechanic before I could see them introducing a larger ship.

• i would love to see a tall tale where you could drive a man o war….would be amazing…but it would be way overpowered in adventure mode

• Definitely want more people on the boat. If they don’t want to do that then they should allow a way for us to join specific servers so we can alliance with friends & be on the same boat

• @floofy-mifu said in Five + player boats:

Hello! My crew always consists of five members and it's really frustrating not to play our favourite game together. We always have to split. We've tried to join the same server like a thousand times but it never works.

So, anyone else than me that would love them to add 5+ player boats? I completely understand that the gameplay would have to change and so on for it to be a good game, but still. Maybe the amount of money you get when selling items would have to be lower if you join a five crew boat. I promise it would be so great!

Kind regards, a pirate

Rare will eventually add custom servers where you'll be able to choose who and how many players can play on the server. You won't be able to earn gold, rep, or renown on them, but at least you'll be able to mess around and have fun with your friends!

I posted a link to the custom server megathread here, it explains it in more detail. (https://www.seaofthieves.com/community/forums/topic/141224/mega-thread-custom-servers/2)

• @el-spaniardchi if you cant earn gold or rep then no point…atleast should be able to earn gold…no different than alliance server…and wih that basis why not rep lol

• @madfrito99 said in Five + player boats:

@el-spaniardchi if you cant earn gold or rep then no point…atleast should be able to earn gold…no different than alliance server…and wih that basis why not rep lol

Well custom servers aren't made us casual sailors in mind, but content creators and event organizers instead. They're meant to be used to host community events and as a creative tool for creators and not as a private gold farming heaven for us. Like Rare has stated time and time again, PvE servers are not in their vision for the game, and if you could earn gold on private servers they would end up being just that, PvE servers.

Reasons you can read from here

And listen from here

• @limend said in Five + player boats:

@madfrito99 said in Five + player boats:

@el-spaniardchi if you cant earn gold or rep then no point…atleast should be able to earn gold…no different than alliance server…and wih that basis why not rep lol

Well custom servers aren't made us casual sailors in mind, but content creators and event organizers instead. They're meant to be used to host community events and as a creative tool for creators and not as a private gold farming heaven for us. Like Rare has stated time and time again, PvE servers are not in their vision for the game, and if you could earn gold on private servers they would end up being just that, PvE servers.

Reasons you can read from here

And listen from here

This. Plus alliance servers are hard to put together, and can still be wrecked by a uncooperative PvP Chad(s).

• frustrating not to play our favourite game together.

Yeah. So many games out there my friends cant join together. But...

add 5+ player boats? I completely understand that the gameplay would have to change and so on for it to be a good game, but still. Maybe the amount of money you get when selling items would have to be lower if you join a five crew boat. I promise it would be so great!

It wont be fun. Think of the future.
    How likely are you and your 5 friends gonna keep playing before it drops to only 2 friends?
    What about the people who have 6, 8 or 10 friends? Why stop at just 5?
    and again, the future. Friends play together, but after awhile they stop. Having a ship that supports a big number of players becoming a waste of space.

and besides...Balancing that would be horrible.

• @floofy-mifu

Same Problem. I actually didn't realize we wouldn't be able to all play together. Just bought this game a few days ago and I might try to just get my money back.

• Given the history of server performance issues, realistically this is never going to happen.

• Pvp balance is already unbalaned so might as well add new ships. Tho first I'd like to see the player count for Galleon increased. It's shame seeing such large ship being wasted for just 4 players when it could easily support more.

• That would be awesome! that way when they balance my sloop to combat that huge of a vessel no one will be able to stop me haha

• @floofy-mifu said in Five + player boats:

Hello! My crew always consists of five members and it's really frustrating not to play our favourite game together. We always have to split. We've tried to join the same server like a thousand times but it never works.

So, anyone else than me that would love them to add 5+ player boats?

Yep. I'd love to get a 6-man boat for the same reason. We've had a group of 6 for over 2 years now.

@arch-ideall said in Five + player boats:

Pvp balance is already unbalaned so might as well add new ships. Tho first I'd like to see the player count for Galleon increased. It's shame seeing such large ship being wasted for just 4 players when it could easily support more.

My take;
    A competent Brig crew has an advantage over a competent Gally crew IME, simply due to the Gally always needing more time to manoeuvre & repair, the slightly higher firing angle, not to mention extinguishing those truly horrible multi-level fires. When compared to the Brig, I hate the Gally with a passion.

If numbers were tweaked (Sloop = 1-2, Brig = 3-4, Gally = 5-6), I think the game would still retain balance.
    Solo sloop has always been hard (ask me how I know), and you're always gonna struggle against larger crews, so I don't think we'd be changing the status quo here at all. I think reapers exploiting portals has changed the game more for the solo sloopers than anything else.

• @d3adst1ck said in Five + player boats:

Given the history of server performance issues, realistically this is never going to happen.

Why would server performance change if the number of ships and players are still capped the same way as they are now?

• @smuntface said in Five + player boats:

[…] Solo sloop has always been hard (ask me how I know), and you're always gonna struggle against larger crews, so I don't think we'd be changing the status quo here at all. I think reapers exploiting portals has changed the game more for the solo sloopers than anything else.

Perhaps as a solo sloop you would not notice the difference between being in a fight with a 4 men crew or a 6 men crew, but to say that the current situation would be the same for other crews with larger crews is IMHO totally wrong. 2 person sloop vs 6 person galleon will be very different than 2 person vs 4.

• @alienmagi said in Five + player boats:

@d3adst1ck said in Five + player boats:

Given the history of server performance issues, realistically this is never going to happen.

Why would server performance change if the number of ships and players are still capped the same way as they are now?

They aren't going to bother with adding higher ship capacity if they just have to juggle the ship counts around. It's a 4 player team game and it's never going to change.

@alienmagi said in Five + player boats:

@d3adst1ck said in Five + player boats:

They aren't going to bother with adding higher ship capacity if they just have to juggle the ship counts around. It's a 4 player team game and it's never going to change.

That wasn't really what I was asking. Of course if they added such a ship they would have to juggle that around, that goes without saying. OP wasn't asking for increased player/ship cap.

• @alienmagi said in Five + player boats:

That wasn't really what I was asking. Of course if they added such a ship they would have to juggle that around, that goes without saying. OP wasn't asking for increased player/ship cap.

OP specifically asked for that (higher player ship counts) and it's in the thread title...

So I replied with it being unlikely because of the history this game has with server performance, leading to things like player caps in order to keep the ship count at 6 (which still didn't work and we're down to 5 again). Not to mention that they had 5 players on the Galleon originally, and reduced the count for balance / gameplay reasons.

@alienmagi said in Five + player boats:

OP specifically asked for that (higher player ship counts) and it's in the thread title...

So I replied with it being unlikely because of the history this game has with server performance, leading to things like player caps in order to keep the ship count at 6 (which still didn't work and we're down to 5 again). Not to mention that they had 5 players on the Galleon originally, and reduced the count for balance / gameplay reasons.

I think you misunderstood the context of the OP because of their language barrier. They seem to want a ship type with 5+ crew members so they can play with all of their friends. If they were talking about ship cap increase the post would make no sense.

• @alienmagi Yes, that is what I was replying to.

• @lem0n-curry said in Five + player boats:

Perhaps as a solo sloop you would not notice the difference between being in a fight with a 4 men crew or a 6 men crew, but to say that the current situation would be the same for other crews with larger crews is IMHO totally wrong. 2 person sloop vs 6 person galleon will be very different than 2 person vs 4.

Is it really that different though? The sloop is always at risk of a lucky chainshot.
    And the Gally feels undermanned VS the brig.

I've sunk a handful of gally's as a solo sloop. Numerical advantage doesn't mean they will always beat you.
    6-man more than likely means they run out of cannonballs quicker, and just imagine an open crew!!

The whole reason large crews would be fun, is because you get a large number of voices. This doesn't mean you're all working cohesively, or sober. Just ask any regular gally crew who all like a drink or twelve.
    One thing I have found to be regularly difficult in this game is teaching newbies. Having a larger crew would definitely help in this respect too.

• @smuntface said in Five + player boats:

@lem0n-curry said in Five + player boats:

Is it really that different though? The sloop is always at risk of a lucky chainshot.

Yes it is.
    If one person is at the helm, currently there can be 3 persons at the cannons; with a crew of 6, that would be 4.
    Chance of a Lucky chainshot just got increased.
    Or even when they still have 3 cannoneers, they have 2 persons to board while they get to keep pressure.
    Perhaps you down one or more of their masts, they have potential 2 extra men to raise the mast.
    Do I need to go on ?

And the Gally feels undermanned VS the brig.

And yet, you want the brig have an extra crew as well ...

I've sunk a handful of gally's as a solo sloop. Numerical advantage doesn't mean they will always beat you.

Agreed there.

6-man more than likely means they run out of cannonballs quicker, and just imagine an open crew!!

And have extra hands to gather resources &c.
    It's not open crews per se, it's closed crews that will certainly change the balance.

The whole reason large crews would be fun, is because you get a large number of voices. This doesn't mean you're all working cohesively, or sober. Just ask any regular gally crew who all like a drink or twelve.
    One thing I have found to be regularly difficult in this game is teaching newbies. Having a larger crew would definitely help in this respect too.

Stay away from other ships and world events, don't raise emissary until they're ready for a lesson in sinking ...

• @floofy-mifu no. Check the threads. Asked for before and the community doesn't want it. Neither does Rare.

• @jeroenxp1 Drastically reducing turning radius and forcing them to have to drop their anchor to stop moving and to be able to truly use the power of the ship. Using the black Pearl ship model for a 6-person ship would create enough of a challenge to the ship itself for it to be used to destroy other ships with ease. The largest benefit would come when ships choose to attack 6 people, the ship could easily deal damage to other models. Front facing cannons could be used to supplement the ships low speed during chases, this ship could also be the first, to have mortars, which would take a lot of skill to use but airstrikes at a short range with a mortar. PVE is the main advantage for a ship such as this, but not to mention the fact that a good sloop player can easily take out a galleon, this is becoming for apparent as the game continues to grow.

The Man O' War which could be the Black Pearl ship type could consist of:

-3 Decks
    -top deck with cannons, harpoons, chaser cannons, steering bridge (with map room), and of course the sails and anchor
    -second deck with cannons and storage.
    -third deck with cooking area (with future additions of a stove with a pot, pan, and baking pan) and also has an area to sit with crewmates. A piano was an idea that I had.
    -fourth deck with brig and water pump which has the ability to fill barrels on all three levels below the top.

• @arch-ideall

This

I personally think it's a crime there's only 3 ships in this game. I would honestly love a naval overhaul making it more complex, have more options, and more believable.

Publications
Vues
questioncommunityfeedback
1 sur 27