[Mega Thread] Alliances

• The split of loot needs to be something more like 80/40 instead of 100/50. It makes being an alliance way to valuable and people complain about those who want to backstab shouldn't leave the alliance since they are already getting 100%. They shouldn't get 100%. There needs to be a benefit for breaking the alliance if you choose to do so, so 20% extra doesn't seem bad and it's still not as good as the potential extra 40% if everyone is grinding away.

• @captainron023 said in [Mega Thread] Alliances:

I'm okay with the system in place so far but I feel like the aesthetic of the ship with the alliance pennant flag is ruined.

The flag systems as of now is a mess, not only did it took away the customization option that the old pennants offered to match the main flag, but the main flag was also replace with the pennant LFG flag in order to give other players a clear visual cues that the ship is looking to form an Alliance. And once an alliance is formed, you have a pennant underneath the main flag which doesn't look right at all.

It was explained to me that this was an easy decision to make sure all players from a distance can see if a person is in an alliance or not and whether or not the crew is looking for more.

So I wanna suggest an alternative solution to in hopes to restore the old flag system on the mast(s) and create not only a new one, but also an even better, clearer, and bigger alliance flag system to complement the ship in a way that the aesthetic of the ship is still retained.

alt text

So ships had a giant flag on the back of their boat, this could be used for the new alliance flag system. And instead of giving the actual Alliance flag a pennant shape, use a regular flag shape so that it's clear whose in whose alliance. And the LFG pennant flag and still show up below the Alliance Flag which indicates you're still looking for more. From a distance, this should remain clear.

alt text

Sorry for my drawing, just trying to illustrate the point.

From a distance, you'll be able to distinguish if

1. A crew is looking for an alliance
    2. Part of an alliance
    3. Part of an alliance already and looking for more.

Plus, since these alliance flags are bigger... it'll be easier to see what alliance they are currently in as the pennant flags are really small and hard to tell who is it apart of unless you go below deck and check your map with the current system as of now. But I can imagine if there's an alliance battle going on with all the ships being on top of each other, the pennant flags aren't gonna be enough as friendly fire is on.

Having better flags and the especially the ability to keep what flag you want at the top of your ship is an excellent idea.

• @ser-pineapples said in [Mega Thread] Alliances:

I want to add a system to communicate with allied crews across the map for co-ordination, assistance, for status checks etc.

I know many wants to keep mutinous communications a secret, but the way my suggestion works is like a telephone line. You can't hear the other crew unless they let you hear them (this goes both ways). Perhaps talking while interacting with a whispering skull in the map room or simply zooming all the way in on an allied ship on the world map, would enable your crew to talk to them.

What you’re asking for is called “radio.” And the answer is no.

• I'd really like to see Rare's metrics on the claims that people can take over a whole server and essentially fast track leveling.

I'm sure Rare is keeping these numbers. Is it as wide spread as people make it out to be? Is it actually a community problem or just a uncommon thing that isn't that destructive to the overall game?

I think the system in place is good as is. 100/50 is a bonus but people are inherently untrustworthy when there are little consequences and ease of betrayal. In a video game scenario this makes it perfect.

If this were real life you would get 50/50 but the consequences of breaking ties would be VERY high. Actual death, zero profit, etc.

• Not sure a lesser split as mentioned would make alliances hold better. From what we have seen more players want to turn everything in themselves for the 100% reward regardless of any alliance. They either just openly disband it, or try to negotiate or beg why they should get it all. Would be less alliances made. A lot of players already do not want to or care to make alliances.

Role playing, immersion, and a sense of realism of being a pirate can be fun, but the true reality of the rotten apples out there spoils it for many. There are a lot of toxic players out there. Even if things as played should be fairly shared, these players can tilt what should be overall a great experience into a really bad one.

Maybe a timer or voting system to break alliances could work. May just complicate things. Just need a way for players who are truly seeking alliances in good faith, not to be taking advantage of by bad players whose sole intent is to only be out for themselves and hurt others by making alliances only to have the intent of breaking them from the start.

The times alliances do work out it is really a good thing. It is a lot of fun and a great experience for all. It is just rare it happens that way. There needs to be a good way for people who do find and form good alliances to be able to team up in the future and sail their ships together again.

• @khaleesibot Alliances! yes finer content! This has posed a problem, a small 1, and that is some special types of peep feel it is not breaking the pirate code to disband alliances prior to handing in booty! Now wouldn't they get a nasty red-faced shock if on breaking the alliance would result in all ship-loot aboard rotted away and magically reappeared on the remaining alliance ships! not an easy task for the programmers, but a sure-fix against narcissists!

• @x-crowheart-x Uhr! the big flag looks like it may ruin game immersion pretty nasty, but perhaps u could ask for a 2x zoom on your telescope for maybe 200g pieces.... and a steady seaworthy hand along with precsription glasses........seriously though focus on the 2xtelescope [for a price] it's a good idea

• @gazcoombe Hows about leaving alliance results in booty being dissolved to the remaining alliance ships! oh ..and dont give players heads up to the change, let the alliance droppers find out the hard way;)

• @genuine-heather perhaps just party up on x-box, and keep chatter down by addressing tags & keep talk constructive. Though what i would like to see is players ingame showing up on recent xbox players... so to easily party invite.

• @spent-d Coloured gamertags, yes, but to keep it simple! say white [friend] yellow [threat to be removed from deck]

• @eviltortoise nah! nah! nah! strongly disagree! keep share system as is, although perhaps even the dividends between deliverer & deliverers alliance members. To confirm my un-bias stance here, i have involved 2x in these voyages and see no other ingame attraction other than breaking the tedium & socializing for chance of hilarity.

• @bran-the-ent I think he just means gamer tags Bran, i mean if there 20x white tags infront of you with variations such as RamBo, Ramboo1, Ramba, Rambo2 e.t.c then u might assassinate the wrong Rambo!?

• @bran-the-ent Oh! also-hehe you have also clearly shown your true colours, clearly there are not enough pirates on the seas to satiate your thirst for blood...and you turn on your own crew/alliance.

• @savagetwinky Strongly disagree! loot share should be 100/100, keep the incentive to ally-up, and also leave no hard feeling when another hands in! everyones friends again ,thankyou, thankyou, your welcome...cheers!

• @ooo-krill-ooo said in [Mega Thread] Alliances:

@savagetwinky Strongly disagree! loot share should be 100/100, keep the incentive to ally-up, and also leave no hard feeling when another hands in! everyones friends again ,thankyou, thankyou, your welcome...cheers!

But it's so boring when everybody is allied and makes getting rep and loot too easy. It removes the tension from the game. I think they should scale it down, the rewards when in alliance. Not too much but it definitely should be looked at.

Me and my friends have frequently started to conspire against our alliance members. It is so much fun. If everyone is friends all the time, the game becomes boring fast. Having to fear and be suspicious about your alliances is fun.

And the rewards, they should scale depending how many ships is in the alliance. I mean for everyone, adding more ships would lower the gold and rep for everyone, even to the ships selling the stuff. You get stuff easier, you get less reward. I think it is only fair. Everybody would get equal share too. 2 ships = 90% of the gold and rep and so on. Obviously the percentages would be up to changes.

I do however agree that people leaving the alliance before selling are bad, and should be looked at. Usually if we manage to sink people allied to us, we never leave the alliance. They still get the rewards, we just take the full reward.

@Genuine-Heather

Would be cool to have a parrot or another type of bird to send messages to other ships, would take time to arrive so it would not be instant. You could only send small messages with it.

• @ooo-krill-ooo And, if that situation actually happens, I’ll eat my hat.

• @ooo-krill-ooo Huh? You don’t know me, don’t presume to know me. You wouldn’t know my true colors if they were painted on the wall in front of you.

• @ooo-krill-ooo said in [Mega Thread] Alliances:

@savagetwinky Strongly disagree! loot share should be 100/100, keep the incentive to ally-up, and also leave no hard feeling when another hands in! everyones friends again ,thankyou, thankyou, your welcome...cheers!

That undermines the entire premise of the game. Go away and play a pure co-op game.

• Strongly agree with no name colour changes. I’ve had some great experiences with blending in. If you have more allies then you can keep track of then that should be on you.

As far as splitting, I think sharing gold but getting no rep would be a reasonable trade off. Having rep is representivive of your work for a trading company. It makes no sense for merchant alliance to say “hey, we want to give you credit too because we know you are friends with this guy”

• When it comes to this system (Ally) Im Done, before i was attacking most of the ships in My way, and now when this system came i rly wanted to give it a try, sometimes it works but most of the time people just do like a fort and then leave the ally, and last night it Happend again so Im going back to old behaviors and being a pirate people hate :) (and to be clear)
    The gallion that left sunk 😎😎

• This is great. Now if we can only have our friends join our server easily. There are 6 of us that play on a regular basis and I hate that we basically have to tell two people sorry 4 of us are already on a galleon so you can't play with us tonight.

• A friend and I tried out the Alliance mechanic today, only to be betrayed by a three man team after a 30-minute Skeleton Fort raid was won. We would have seen it coming, but I wasn't totally sure how Alliances worked. My friend and I even joked, "We should kill them and take all the Treasure." My response to that was, "There's a vote system, they'd see it coming in an instant."

Guess not.

Look at the Alliance mechanic in context with other mechanics in the game -
    Going on a Quest: 2 or more players need to agree to the Quest
    Abandoning a Quest: 2 or more players need to agree to abandon the Quest

Banish to Brig: 2 or more players need to agree to send a player to the Brig
    Release from Brig: 2 or more players need to agree to release a player from the Brig

Change the Invite/Group Status: 2 or more players need to agree to change the Group Status

Forming an Alliance: 2 teams agree to form an Alliance
    Disbanding an Alliance: 1 team agrees to disband the Alliance

This is inconsistent.

I adore this game for the PvP. There's nothing like blasting away another team and stealing their loot, or racing/maneuvering to escape other players. However, all this experience has taught me is, "Never form an Alliance". Which ultimately begs the question, "Why is this even a feature?"

• @overladenchip I too have this issue and not everyone is willing to hand over their ship and move to another server, I'd like to see an upgrade ship for gold so we can go from brigantine to galleon at a cost for the same reasons, too many friends not enough ships.

• @crayzeesheep said in [Mega Thread] Alliances:

A friend and I tried out the Alliance mechanic today, only to be betrayed by a three man team after a 30-minute Skeleton Fort raid was won. We would have seen it coming, but I wasn't totally sure how Alliances worked. My friend and I even joked, "We should kill them and take all the Treasure." My response to that was, "There's a vote system, they'd see it coming in an instant."

Guess not.

Look at the Alliance mechanic in context with other mechanics in the game -
    Going on a Quest: 2 or more players need to agree to the Quest
    Abandoning a Quest: 2 or more players need to agree to abandon the Quest

Banish to Brig: 2 or more players need to agree to send a player to the Brig
    Release from Brig: 2 or more players need to agree to release a player from the Brig

Change the Invite/Group Status: 2 or more players need to agree to change the Group Status

Forming an Alliance: 2 teams agree to form an Alliance
    Disbanding an Alliance: 1 team agrees to disband the Alliance

This is inconsistent.

I adore this game for the PvP. There's nothing like blasting away another team and stealing their loot, or racing/maneuvering to escape other players. However, all this experience has taught me is, "Never form an Alliance". Which ultimately begs the question, "Why is this even a feature?"

1 crew can't disband an alliance unless that alliance is only 2 ships.
    1 crew can decide to leave the alliance and it doesn't have to be voted on by the crew. One person just has to go up and strike the alliance colours.

My only suggestion is that a crew that leaves the alliance first has a noticeable mutinous flag marking them for a minute or two. Maybe black pennants on every mast or something. So that the other ships know what's going on. There is a bug in the game that allows you to remove the alliance flag from your mast but still stay in the alliance. So this mechanic would only be useful in that respect.

• Alliances I think ruined this game. Fleet farming is undermining any achievement Athena's had... making things too easy and people are too focused on farming menial tasks and circumventing a lot of what makes this game fun.. and since everyone is so focused on completing the grind, they'll come here in a few weeks and complain there is nothing to do. Or they won't come here at all. There are too many games coming out, and even now WoW is poaching all the members of the community I play with as each one hits 10.

• We need people who you are Allied with to have their names in Blue.
    Right now the white is too confusing.

And maybe if a crew breaks the Alliance their names should be in red.

• Another vote here for having allied crews names appear in different colours, although if possible it would be good to have a different colour for each crew rather than just one.

It would also be good if the banner that appears when you hand in loot could be different when your crew hands stuff in. Maybe only have the alliance pennant appear on loot handed in by allies?

• Many want to play in an alliance with their friends. But this would spoil the balance for the rest. But you can create special servers where all players are alliances! On such servers will be two or more alliances. Players can not change the composition of the alliance to prevent the creation of a mega alliance from the whole server. This will comfortably play a big company of friends.
    In the current system of alliances, the entire server is usually connected. This makes very rare mass pvp, penetration of foreign ships under the guise of an ally and other interesting situations.

• We need a way of telling allied pirates from enemy pirates either a different coloured gamer tag green for crews
    White for enemy pirate and say yellow for allies. Or a alliance flag by user name.
    We was at a skull fort and had alliance ship and other ships and had people boarding but no idea if they was from the allied crew or enemy crew. Something need to be implemented asap to make it easier so not to accidently harm a allied crew member.

• Having a way to identify both crews and their ships is needed in an alliance. When doing skeleton fleet battles there can be ships in an alliance and not in the alliance. Players that get stuck in the water often try to swim to a nearby ship until they can get back on their ship. They have to yell out "please do not kill me, please do not kill me, I am sailing with you guys, I am friendly, I am friendly" over and over. This is because of the nature of the game and a lot of toxic players making it hard to trust other players. Same thing happens in skeleton forts when there are multiple ships and just one broke the alliance with players yelling and pleading "it was not me".

When a ship sails up you do not pull out a note pad and make a roster of everyone's player tags. There is no reason not to have the tags of players in an alliance show up in a different color so you know who you allies are. The same is true for when someone breaks the alliance. Their tags should show up as hostile.

It can be a timer thing for hostiles, just as their ship could be flagged for a period of time like flying the Reaper's Mark. They can gain heat which has a cool down period. So, if they are not caught, sank, and dispatched they still have an opportunity to get away.

Views
161 out of 170