Tides

• I think it would be cool to have changing tides. This would be an interesting way of expanding islands without expanding the map.

Some islands would have gradual beaches where the "height" of the island didn't change much but the width did and other islands would have steep beaches where the height of the island grew and otherwise underwater caves would emerge.

depending on the type pf island, you'd have to be careful how you parked, you wouldn't want to get beached at low tide.

As a whole day is 24 minutes and there could be
    4 tides each period meaning the longest you could be beached is 6 minutes.

Some areas of an island may only be reached during high tide and some quests requiring tunnels to be empty of water could only be completed at low tide.

Yeah, I know this would probably be a nightmare for servers to cope with, but hey, still think it would be cool

Views
  • Neat Idea to be honest I like it a lot. But how far would it go? Would the whole sealevel rise and fall or will a system just push certain islands up and down the waterline (sort of cheating a tide system)
    Will the tides like in real life affect the water flow making sailing against the wind and tide be even more tedious?

Would ships be stuck for minutes on end just because they sailed into shallows when at high tide? Will there be Spring tide and neap tide?

So many questions probably overthinking this a lot :-P

• Why would expect a simulated tide cycle when SoT has no simulated surf.

Ever notice there are no breaking waves in SoT?

• @barnabas-seadog I imagine the whole lack of breaking surf was probably down to graphics limitations. I mean, we have huge storms which sweep over islands that in a real world would create storm surges and therefore breaking surf. So I don't see the connection between a lack of breaking surf and tide cycle.

I don't think this is down to "What I would expect" but more "What I think would be a cool addition to a pirate game"

• @hynieth lol... perhaps you could have high tide in the Shores of Plenty whislt it was low tide in The Devils Roar? Oh no, wouldn't want this affecting the speed of the ship. You'd end up going backwards if the wind and tide were against you.

Perhaps if you did become beached you'd have a choice. If you lifted anchor you'd slide off the island causing 3 or so holes (so the price to get off early is 3 planks of wood) otherwise you have to wait until the water level rises again.

Good questions though:)

• @guybrush3pwood2
    I would love this too...
    But.... Rare spent over 1000 hours just making the water "work".
    I dont see them being able to accomplish this without a major overhaul

• @guybrush3pwood2 In my 30 years of sailing I've gotten to know the tides and I can tell you if you want to do it realisticly it's a hassle to deal with.
    That said I like having islands with entire caves that emerge at low tides and pathways that can be used at high tides.
    Thinking of this Rare could implement a system where a group if islands is slowly moving up and down to simulate tides as opposed to having the whole sea move up and down.

• @hynieth i like the idea of islands moving to give the illusion of tides. It would be fun to be running through a tunnel to find it slowly getting flooded too

• @guybrush3pwood2 Aye me matey, and it dinnea influence the olden isles.

Arrrrr!!!

Views
1 out of 9