Apparently my wife and I have been playing together on the same account; how can we keep both of our characters when migrating to new PC?

• I have been playing SoT since release. Last winter I built a new PC for myself and my wife got my old PC. My old character was transferred to my new PC and my wife was able to create a new character on the old PC. We've been playing together for about a year. After the release of emporium she's not able to buy ancient coins. We then discovered that the reason is probably that she's logged in to my Windows Store account, and that she's probably playing through game share or something? Maybe she never bought the game herself when we started playing? We can't remember if she bought it or if it just worked straight off the bat.

She's going to build a new PC now and would obviously like to keep her character and progression, and also to buy ancient coins. If she never bought the game herself she's ofc happy to buy the game, but we're afraid she would lose her character/progression if she starts playing on a new PC as we've found out that she's logged into the same Windows account as myself (although we have separate Windows keys).

How can we make sure that she gets too keep her character/progression when migrating to a new PC? Can she log into my Windows account on the new PC and keep her character? Can she buy the game on a new Windows account and transfer the character?

Thanks for your help!

Views
  • You both are playing on the same windows account? What separates your game from hers? Is there a special password to log in to get access to your character?

• @uribedh I believe we're logged into the same windows store account, but we have separate Xbox accounts

• @sjurting said in Apparently my wife and I have been playing together on the same account; how can we keep both of our characters when migrating to new PC?:

@uribedh I believe we're logged into the same windows store account, but we have separate Xbox accounts

When she downloaded the game from the store, it should have registered to her Xbox account then. Trying having her log into her game on your computer with her Xbox profile.

• @uribedh so the character progression is linked to the Xbox account, and not the windows store account? If she creates her own windows store account (and buys the game on that account) can she link that account to her Xbox account and keep her character progression?

• When we log into her Xbox account on xbox.com sea of thieves is not listed under "my games"

• @sjurting Probably going to need to raise a support ticket.

• @sjurting if she's playing Sea of Thieves under her Xbox profile, then her game world and belongings are linked to that Xbox account, regardless of how she downloaded Sea of Thieves. Her character is in her xbox gamertag

• @uribedh that's the answer we were looking for, thanks! :)

She'll create her own windows store account on the new PC, buy sea of thieves on that account, log in to her Xbox account and set sails with her soon to be pirate legend character :)

• @sjurting said in Apparently my wife and I have been playing together on the same account; how can we keep both of our characters when migrating to new PC?:

When we log into her Xbox account on xbox.com sea of thieves is not listed under "my games"

You need to check if she can play the game with her Xbox account/Xbox profile. You should test it out on your pc and let her log in to see if her game world is linked to her Xbox account

• @uribedh we'll try that first, thanks!

Views
10 out of 11