Shroudbreaker Shenanigans

• My mate and I have taken respite at Galleon's Grave to share a grog or two and another tale. "So, " Duke asks from beside the fireplace, "Ya got yourselves some fine treasure today. I think two Reaper Chests and some Relics." I laugh, "Aye, we did, and a whopper of a tale to be told." Duke perks up, "Really, is it daring?" I nod, "Aye, daring and very lucrative as well.

And so begins the tale of Shroudbreaker Shenanigans...

I glance over at my shipmate, "What'll we be doin' t'day?" She shrugs a shoulder, "I don't know. But I fancy a relic hunt." I smile at that, "Sounds like an adventure." My crewmate waves then heads to the tavern, we're anchored at Galleon's Grave. "Duke, a relic voyage. If you will." Duke glances up from his moment drinking then jumps to his feet, "Why certainly, for a few doubloons I can get you started...on something Daring." Lady rolls her eyes, was that a glint if light from Duke's teeth? Nah, trick of the light. "Sure, have anything in The Wilds?" Lady asks. Duke pulls some papers out of his pockets and then rifles through them, "Perhaps." He pauses then drops the mess, letting it all fall to the ground. All but one lonely piece of partchment makes it to the ground as Duke plucks it from its fall, "Here you go lass. The Wilds." With a wink and an exchange of doubloons for the map I set off to return to the ship and cast down the voyage. "Did you get it?" I ask. Lady nods, "Aye, The Wilds. Ready?" I nod, "I'll keep an eye on the map, and you can navigate." Lady departs for the helm while I go down to the map and begin plotting our course.
    For the most part, our trip is pretty uneventful. We both spot a sign of the Repaer's Chest and I give the direction to sail. "Aye, thank you. I see it now." Lady says as she turns the wheel.
    Since the mark isn't that far from our location it's a quick trip. We make haste to the nearest outpost and turn it in to Duke with a wave we're off again. Ah, another mark. Out near Sunken Grove. We grab that Reaper Chest as well, but spot other ships in the area. South East we head. Into the Devil's Roar. Thankfully there are no ships in sight. We anchor off the north short of Morrow's Peak and Lady takes off with the chest and turns it over to Duke (His momma must have had a lot of boys named Duke). As I start for the ship, I pause to speak with Gracie. After a bit of a chat I ask about the shorts of gold. Gracie is more than happy to recount the tale. After listening to the story I bid her farewell and return to the vessel. I spot a something to the left of the helm, lashed to the railing, "What's this?" My mate says from below, "What's what?" "This," I say again and point at a little gold statue with ruby eyes. "Is that?" My mate comes up and glances over at the item in question, "Yes, that's Shroudbreaker." I look at it then to my mate, "And what's it doing here?" My mate laughs, "You been talkin' with Gracie?" I ask. Lady nods, "Aye, I did for a bit And she told me a story about Shroudbrea...Ooooh." Mate laughs, "Aye, oooooh."
    Lady shakes her head, "Well, we got that, and we best be off to get those relics, aye?" My mate nods, "Aye. To Sunken Grove then?" Lady nods, "Aye," and returns to the helm while I return to the map and give course to Sunken Grove.
    As we're sailing, a brigantine is spotted off in the distance. From what I can tell it's not really heading our direction. Yet. We finally reach Sunken Grove and begin the search for four captains and their crew, we're to dispatch them and continue on.
    I climb up a hill and look out to sea and spot a bring sailing our direction. As I run to the ship I shout, "Drop sails, brigantine comin' in fast!"
    Lady takes the helm and I drop sail and search for the brig. It's getting closer, "Sail East!" I yell. "East?" replies a skeptic Lady. "East, blast it all! Just trust me." I hear the wheel turn and the rudder strain to turn the ship about to an easterly course.
    "Keep goin' East, and don't stop for nothin'" I laugh as I recall one of the outpost merchants would always say that after ending the trade.
    I glance over the gunwale and spot the brig, they are fast and closing quickly. The water begins to churn red. "It's glowing!" Lady shouts. "WHat...Oh, it's workin' then." I reply. "Keep goin', that brig is gettin' closer!" I glance down at the map to see that we're heading towards Tribute Peak, or hopefully its location. A cannon fires and our little ship shudders as someone on the brig fires a shot. The water turns deeper red. I hear a laugh, but not from my mate. It's the other crew.
    They are so close we can hear them laughing, "You fools, you will perish and we'll take your treasure." I laugh, we have something they don't. Shroudbreaker. I glance at the map then take a compass heading, "What ya doin'? Keep headin' east!" A foot stomps above me, "The water is the colour of blood, and that statue is glowing something fierce. And that brig is getting closer, what do you want me to..." I cut Lady off, "Go East by Nor' East. We'll loose them." A grumbling comes from above, "Or we'll loose ourselves." I check my compass and the ship slowly turns to the east by north east, "Good, keep that headin'." I say with a tinge of comfort in my voice. "We're loosing them!" Lady shouts, "Oh by the grace of Athena, hold on! They're going to ram us!"
    I glance up from the map, and sure enough the sloop has our ship caught with a harpoon. And then it happens. A ghostly explosion rocks the brigantine. Their front mast falls and strikes the deck with such force, it looks to have crushed one of the crew. "Keep going! Tis almost o'ER!" A shot rings out and a shot strikes the wall next to me. I rush up to the helm to check on Lady. She's holding the wheel, eyes wide and fingers holding on to the helm with a death grip. Softly I say, "Tis o'er. Let up on the wheel." I pull out my spyglass and look for the brigantine and its crew.
    It's gone. To meet Davie Jones himself.
    I search the blood red sea and a glint catches my eye. "Lady, turn about! I see somethin' in the water."
    The sloop turns about and I hear the sail drop to half mast, "Right on course." I go to the bowsprit, "Raise the sail, it's close." Lady raises the sail and the ship slowly comes to a stop not far from where the brig went down.
    After a quick look around I jump in to the water and start bringing the brig's lost treasure aboard. Not much, but it will do. "Good haul off them braggarts!" I say with a laugh. The mood lightens and Lady joins in, "Right, that crew wasn't the smartest sailors to hit the seas." I nod as I offer, "Let's get back to Sunken Grove. And get those captains."
    As the ship comes about we set off to Sunken Grove.

"And that is how we sunk a brig, and came in to port with a little extra." I laugh. Duke just looks with mouth agape. Speachless.. Finally he says, "You know, once word gets out everybody will be goin' to see Gracie. But you did it first. Using Shroudbreaker keep your ship safe, and a pox to those who follow that not have it." He jumps to his feet and shouts for all to hear, "How daring!"

Views
1 out of 1