Changing ships

• I've heard quite a few people I've sailed with question as to why we can't change our ship without abandoning the whole server. It has been a question that pops in my head from time to time when I play it. Now that I've been playing it more, it is a more prominent thought that always crosses my mind. Being able to scuttle the ship you have to have a new one replace it? If there is a flaw in some sort of mechanic like that that prevents them from creating it, do tell me.

Views
    communitygeneral
  • Crew limit should always be set to 4.

If me and my buddy are on a Sloop and a friend wants to join I should just be able to invite him.

When he joins the Crew the ship should just turn into a Brig.

Add a 4th it turns into a Galleon.

If we lose a crew member(s) we should be able to vote to keep Galleon or downgrade to a Brig/Sloop in the crew management tab.

I would even be ok with a reset of resources and a sever migration.

(Even though in a perfect world we would stay in same server and keep our cannonballs!).

• @glannigan that would be great, but i really just don't like it when one or two people get on/off the game and you're stuck with either a ship you don't want to try and solo or duo, or you have to drop your mission to pick up your friends.

• Imo, a ship should always auto scuttle to respawn the next size up for when inviting friends that exceeds a ship limit.

• @wolf11712

If there is a flaw in some sort of mechanic like that that prevents them from creating it, do tell me.

That is exactly what Rare have said on several occasions: There are technical limitations to do with match-making, server-balancing, etc. that make doing this very difficult. With software development, nothing is impossible but some things take a lot of time and/or money to do, or come with a lot of risk - especially you have architected your system in a way that did not anticipate the suggested change.

• I think ultimately this discussion is going to take us where Rare ended up.

It’s just easier to party up, quit out and relaunch.

• @glannigan said in Changing ships:

Crew limit should always be set to 4.

If me and my buddy are on a Sloop and a friend wants to join I should just be able to invite him.

When he joins the Crew the ship should just turn into a Brig.

Add a 4th it turns into a Galleon.

If we lose a crew member(s) we should be able to vote to keep Galleon or downgrade to a Brig/Sloop in the crew management tab.

I would even be ok with a reset of resources and a sever migration.

(Even though in a perfect world we would stay in same server and keep our cannonballs!).

I'd like the change ship option to be done by the current crew (the whole crew); otherwise someone who is on an open crew sloop finds himself with two more persons that he may not want if his unknown crew mate invites two of his friends.

Server migration ? With voyages & treasure of the first ship ?
    No, that could be exploitable even without the treasure e.g. change ship & server at the last part of an Athena. And with treasure obviously if another crew is close-by.

• I'm no technical whiz so I (and I assume many of us) don't know how it all works but from a practical stand point it should be possible. The ship number never changes (being six) so it's just a adjustment to allow ship changing in-session.

Max players is always 24 and 6 ships so it wouldn't be an issue for any other players wanting to join their friends mid-game since those number can't overlap.

• We should have an option on every Outpost to switch ships. The ship size should be equal or larger than the current crew, for example a crew of 2 could have a Sloop or a larger ship but a crew of 3 can't have a sloop. The joining player could wait in a queue until their crew reaches the Outpost.

• It's a good idea.

There is however a 20 player cap per server. So you may end up with some under-crewed ships if everyone suddenly switched to Galleons.

Technically there is a hitch. My guess (I can't see their coding so I'm not 100% on this) is that Rare uses Ships and not Players as it's parameter for server-migration. So, for example, by never having more than 4 Galleons + 2 Sloops or 2 Galleons + 3 Brigantines + 1 Sloop per server Rare can maintain the 20 player cap.

That's likely the biggest technical issue standing in the way of this idea. It could be done, but it would take some work.

• @karloss00 said in Changing ships:

Max players is always 24 and 6 ships ....

Cap is actually 20 players and 6 ships.

• @viperishemu2992 That would be strange considering 6 full galleons wouldn't be possible on a server. 6 x 4 = 24

• @karloss00 said in Changing ships:

@viperishemu2992 That would be strange considering 6 full galleons wouldn't be possible on a server. 6 x 4 = 24

I'm almost 100% sure that there have never been 6 Galleons on a Server (Adventure Mode). I have played almost daily since launch and have never seen more than 4 Galleons at any one time. (Back during the Hungering Deep event and at Skull Forts when they used to be rare.) Nor have any of my friends.

Some people swear that they have seen 5 before. Which I have my doubts about that. People may think that they have seen 5 or 6. But they are probably mistaken. They probably counted the same ship twice.

Anyways, there is no recorded evidence of there every being more than 4 Galleons or 20+ players on any given server at any one time in Adventure Mode. But if you have any I would love to see it. (Screen Shots or Video?) Like I said, I'm only 99,9% positive. And I would love to be proved wrong.

• Imo - inviting a third player on your sloop of two, or a fourth player on your brig of three, should auto scuttle the ship after five minutes and spawn in the correct one. Just to give crews the chance to get their affairs in order.

Views
communitygeneral
13 out of 14