OTMreports: RANGE FINDER

• OTM REPORTS: CANNON RANGE FINDER

To Begin

When firing cannons at an enemy ship there are a lot of things that will determine the outcome of your shot.
    Whether its ship speed/movements, or the lift and drop of cresting over waves, each will effect the way a cannonball behaves leaving the barrel.
    Generally when you come across an enemy ship and prepare to fire apon it, the first thing you will likely think about is "how far away is my target?".
    Up close (inside 200paces) its pretty simple to judge, but for the longer shots, things get trickier.

Over the past few months, I have been working on and testing out a sort of "range finding" technique, by using an in-game tool to measure a ship.
    Comparing the visual size of a target vessel, to the visual size of the tool, is how it works. It has proven quite effective in testing and i would like to share it with all of you.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EB5IjpxU8AE0K_N.jpg
    Galleon at 200 paces.

The Research

I have learned of a way, to use the HUNTER TRUMPET as a measuring tool for a finer tuned judgment on a vessels distance.
    As i hold up the trumpet, i can measure a galleons size, relative to the top of the trumpet, giving me an idea of how far away it is.
    When I'm confident with the distance reading I'll have a much better idea as to what angle within the 0° - 45° range (45° being the longest possible shot from a stand still) to have my cannon set to.

To do this I would first need to find out how far a cannon shoots. Then measure and understand the size of a vessel at maximum distance. Then, i will know, that if a galleon is ever LARGER then that particular measurement. It is within cannon range.

First the cannons maximum reach.
    I figured the best way to find out how to do this would be to find the size of 1 grid square on the map in paces (currently the best distance measure)

I measured the length of a long bridge at Golden Sands Outpost in-game by counting paces with my compass, it came to be 34 paces in length. I then, using a ruler on my screen, measured the length of the bridge and the length of one grid square (post-Devils Roar) without zooming. Divide(÷) the bridge length by the length of the grid to get your multiple.

The length of the bridge is 1/10th the length of a grid square across and up. And with my bridge measurement of 34 paces, i mathematicly estimate a grid square to be

340×340 paces. (Give or take a few paces)

Now I put myself aprox one grid square from the shores of Golden Sands Outpost, and fired cannons at a 45° angle (measured with my compass), and fired myself immediately after for an aerial view of the cannonball landing zone JUST short of the outpost.

After multiple shots and perspectives, i was able to make an estimate. I measured the distance between the outpost and landing zone to an almost 40paces.
    Leaving me with a roughly calculated estimate of around 300 paces of cannon range.

Now I just have to have a boat at 300 paces and measure its size on screen using an ingame tool, secure "hard points" on the tool model (notches, nicks, chips or bumps) analyze the targets size relative to those hard points and I have my range finder.

Findings

After trialing this technique in both controlled and uncontrolled situations (arena) i have found that the hunters trumpet as a measuring tool, can be quite effective.

A galleon that measures the same as the distance between the outer peg and the first inner stud is at maximum range, and a 45° angle cannon, relative to the horizon, is required to make the distance. Any size smaller is out of range.

Other tool types have been tested but not all and not all tools will work. I have also been trialing different tools for measuring angle, such as watches or compasses.

Most ideal equipment for distance is the HUNTER TRUMPET, the outer pegs and inner studs make great hard points.

Most ideal equipment for measuring angles is still yet to be truly found. The compass works ok, but at these longer ranges outside of 200 paces, the smallest angle adjustment makes a HUGE difference in trajectory. In saying that a more, acute measuring tool is necessary for perfect cannon angling.
    so far however, the Glorious Sea Dog compass has worked quite well... (sort of)

Biggest issues i came across

Ship speeds and movements on the waves are going to make things harder
    Waves make an especially big difference and positioning on the wave of both the target and your own vessels (high wave, low wave) will effect the out come also.
    With the help of the rolling waves the target can "duck" under your shot if not timed right. Also the way your own vessel is situated when firing will change how the cannonball leaves the tube, so timing is key.

Written for the CSV. Robin Hood Community
    Brought to you by the On The Map Crew.

Twitter: @Thereddogpodca1

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEpjykK7nyWPPa-wuuhJYeA

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/607549942927720458/609274479172124689/CSV_Logo2.png

Views
1 out of 1