Huge loading time difference between Xbox One and Xbox One S

• Wondering if anyone can suggest something I could try to rectify extremely long load times for SoT on the Xbox One S (besides buying an SSD) - Me and my partner play the game together on a sloop, both running the same model external USB HDD, both installed on the external HDD - The thing is, she loads into the game in 1m and 44 seconds using the original Xbox One - My game on the other hand takes a staggering 3m and 56 seconds!

Sadly, it's no better once I'm in the game either - Getting back to the ship using a merman (despite the fact that I can see the ship) takes a mind boggling 1 minute and 13 seconds! Takes her 27 seconds on the original console - Then there's getting killed and respawning, it takes so long to load the Ferry of the Damned that by time I've loaded onto it the doors are already open - Then it takes over a minute to load back onto the ship (oh, and during the last Tall Tale quest where you don't spawn back on the ship if you die, I was getting attacked by skeletons whilst I was still in the loading screen and I actually died before I'd even loaded back into the game twice!)

You could argue that the load times would be a little bit longer as it has to upscale the game into 4K HDR - But them load times are even with the console running in 1080P mode with HDR disabled! Let's also not forget that the One S also has a slightly faster GPU (914MHz compared to the originals 853MHz) so if anything the game should be a second or two faster

I've tried re-installing it and clearing the cache all to no avail. If maybe I was running a 5400RPM drive and she was running a 7200RPM drive then maybe I could accept slightly longer wait times, but we're both running the same make and model of drive, both bought at the same time on effectively the same hardware

Views
    xbox onegeneral
  • Out of curiosity, why are you not interested in adding an SSD? It helps loading times on several of my games

• Wait until you see an xbox one x, then you will have something to compare with the original one.

Btw get an external USB 3 (at least) 250gb ssd. It will change your gaming life

• @jackznboiz4lolz said in Huge loading time difference between Xbox One and Xbox One S:

Wondering if anyone can suggest something I could try to rectify extremely long load times for SoT on the Xbox One S (besides buying an SSD) - Me and my partner play the game together on a sloop, both running the same model external USB HDD, both installed on the external HDD - The thing is, she loads into the game in 1m and 44 seconds using the original Xbox One - My game on the other hand takes a staggering 3m and 56 seconds!

Sadly, it's no better once I'm in the game either - Getting back to the ship using a merman (despite the fact that I can see the ship) takes a mind boggling 1 minute and 13 seconds! Takes her 27 seconds on the original console - Then there's getting killed and respawning, it takes so long to load the Ferry of the Damned that by time I've loaded onto it the doors are already open - Then it takes over a minute to load back onto the ship (oh, and during the last Tall Tale quest where you don't spawn back on the ship if you die, I was getting attacked by skeletons whilst I was still in the loading screen and I actually died before I'd even loaded back into the game twice!)

You could argue that the load times would be a little bit longer as it has to upscale the game into 4K HDR - But them load times are even with the console running in 1080P mode with HDR disabled! Let's also not forget that the One S also has a slightly faster GPU (914MHz compared to the originals 853MHz) so if anything the game should be a second or two faster

I've tried re-installing it and clearing the cache all to no avail. If maybe I was running a 5400RPM drive and she was running a 7200RPM drive then maybe I could accept slightly longer wait times, but we're both running the same make and model of drive, both bought at the same time on effectively the same hardware

Everyone around here will act like this isn't some issue with SOT and instead you are to blame for not affording a external SSD or Xbox One X. Or they will say you need to submit a trouble ticket even though this issue has been there since launch. So at this point I'd say Rare either can't easily fix this or is simply waiting until the next gen console drops which will have fast HHD and memory. So don't hold your breath and just plan to spend 10-20% of your time in the SOT world looking at loading screens thinking, "Gee I wish I was playing the game right now instead of looking at a black screen." Removes game disc, boots up Fallout 76 Nuclear Winter, problem solved.

• @contentzilla said in Huge loading time difference between Xbox One and Xbox One S:

Everyone around here will act like this isn't some issue with SOT and instead you are to blame for not affording a external SSD or Xbox One X. Or they will say you need to submit a trouble ticket even though this issue has been there since launch. So at this point I'd say Rare either can't easily fix this or is simply waiting until the next gen console drops which will have fast HHD and memory. So don't hold your breath and just plan to spend 10-20% of your time in the SOT world looking at loading screens thinking, "Gee I wish I was playing the game right now instead of looking at a black screen." Removes game disc, boots up Fallout 76 Nuclear Winter, problem solved.

Exactly what I was thinking - I shouldn't have to buy an SSD or Xbox One X just because of one game. There are plenty of other more graphically demanding and larger open world games that load A LOT faster than SOT - Sure, maybe a 3 minute load at the start of the game as it puts the essentials into memory like other open world games (GTA V for instance) But then if you fall off your ship, and it's literally 100 meters away, WHY does it insist on taking over a minute to load you back onto the ship? That isn't down to using a HDD or not using an Xbox One X, that's down to bad programming! That section of the game should already be in memory, sure maybe a 5 second "respawn" penalty, but other than that there is no reason as to why we have to wait so long, it should be instant when using the merman in that scenario!

What if the ship is at the top of the map and you are right down the bottom? Then yes, it needs to load and that's acceptable, but a minute wait when not only can you see your ship, but you can even see the chests on board is ridiculous!

• @contentzilla said in [Huge loading time difference between Xbox One and Xbox One S](/forum/post/1144991]

Everyone around here will act like this isn't some issue with SOT and instead you are to blame for not affording a external SSD or Xbox One X.

The question was, what can they do to improve their load times, not who is to blame. What was your solution? I must have missed it.

@jackznboiz4lolz said in Huge loading time difference between Xbox One and Xbox One S:

I shouldn't have to buy an SSD or Xbox One X just because of one game.

You don’t. You asked what you could do to improve things. This is the one thing we have found that can dramatically improve it. The bonus for me is that the SSD has also helped me with load times on No Man Sky, Elder Scrolls Online, and so on. Pretty much any game with loading screens. Many other games are better at hiding the issue but it becomes obvious when you experience the difference. This is why PC users also use them to help the performance of their setup. If you find another solution, be sure to post it here.

• The problem got worse when they shrunk the game, GB wise. Was pretty quick before, so I'd rather have a bigger game size (gb) and shorter load times rather than the Sea of Thieves Loading Simulator the way it is now. I'm totally on par with OP

• SSD is the way ahead if you want faster loading times. Better for all games not just sot.

• Sea of Thieves just has poor loading across the board. Yes, an SSD will help but I don't think that's the point of OPs post. The game shouldn't take this long to load in a lot of cases, and the fact that (even though it is a rare occurrence now) the infinite black loading screen can still occur points to a problem with how the game loads you into the game world.

• Try hardwiring the internet to the weaker Xbox. It may help even the two systems a bit. It made a massive difference to my one X when the game first came out despite being in the same room as the wifi.

If it doesnt work at least it’s a cheap fail

Views
xbox onegeneral
9 out of 10