Boat Quality Cosmetics

• How about being able to buy ship upgrades? By this I mean, you'd still be in a sloop, brigantine or galleon but the starter craft would all look really shoddy. The storage barrels would all look broken, the map table would be a basic 4 legs and top, the crows nest would looks like it's been nailed together by someone who's been on the rum all day and the deck would look really badly made.

You'd have 3-5 upgrade levels to each boat class, and each time your boat would look better made, until you reached the top craft type. The top craft would have gilded, golden lanterns, have no visible signs of wear and tear, the crows nest would be have metal banding and iron rivets, the bow sprint would be a shining metal spike, the shutters would be beautifully made and the furniture inside the captains cabins would be luxurious to the extreme.

Essentially this boat upgrade type would affect all areas of the ship that the existing cosmetics system doesn't. Each upgrade would also be A LOT more expensive, say £1,000,000 for the first level and reaching £5,000,000 for the top class.

The upgrades would give you no gameplay advantage at all and they would be solely cosmetic and our current cosmetics could still be applied to each ship class.

I really like the idea of feeling like I've "bought" my ship instead of just getting given one when I play and this would make me feel more like my ship belongs to me. Obviously the ship class would have to be applied in the same way our current cosmetics are.

Views
  • @guybrush3pwood2 I believe something similar was discussed for the long anticipated captaincy update. Once past pirate legend it was a goal that you could acquire. This would allow you to name your ship and also get more ship customization options. Your ships model would also be different and people could tell from a distance that it's not the basic ship but a legendary one. So hopefully some cool things are coming for this.

• @starquest That sounds like some interesting post-Legend content.

I think my only issue with it being limited to Legend is having a different looking boat would draw a crosshair on your forehead. "Hey look!! that boat belongs to a Legend, shall we try and sink it. They may even have a chest of Legends on board"

I very rarely identify myself as a Legend unless I'm in a PvP mood.

• @guybrush3pwood2 said in Boat Quality Cosmetics:

How about being able to buy ship upgrades? By this I mean, you'd still be in a sloop, brigantine or galleon but the starter craft would all look really shoddy. The storage barrels would all look broken, the map table would be a basic 4 legs and top, the crows nest would looks like it's been nailed together by someone who's been on the rum all day and the deck would look really badly made.

You'd have 3-5 upgrade levels to each boat class, and each time your boat would look better made, until you reached the top craft type. The top craft would have gilded, golden lanterns, have no visible signs of wear and tear, the crows nest would be have metal banding and iron rivets, the bow sprint would be a shining metal spike, the shutters would be beautifully made and the furniture inside the captains cabins would be luxurious to the extreme.

Essentially this boat upgrade type would affect all areas of the ship that the existing cosmetics system doesn't. Each upgrade would also be A LOT more expensive, say £1,000,000 for the first level and reaching £5,000,000 for the top class.

The upgrades would give you no gameplay advantage at all and they would be solely cosmetic and our current cosmetics could still be applied to each ship class.

I really like the idea of feeling like I've "bought" my ship instead of just getting given one when I play and this would make me feel more like my ship belongs to me. Obviously the ship class would have to be applied in the same way our current cosmetics are.

aye nice idea mate

• @closinghare208 I like this too. Good idea.

• I'm on board. No seriously! Have you seen the fine China in the Captain's cabin? It's oh so sublime! 🍽

• @galactic-geek lol... "mmmm, I think I'll have a tipple from that fine brandy decanter, oh my days of swilling grog are behind me."

• @guybrush3pwood2 said in Boat Quality Cosmetics:

@galactic-geek lol... "mmmm, I think I'll have a tipple from that fine brandy decanter, oh my days of swilling grog are behind me."

yeah i hope we can do that and pour our crew a brandy

• @Guybrush3pwood2 I like this one, matey. Good idea.

• @starquest said in Boat Quality Cosmetics:

@guybrush3pwood2 I believe something similar was discussed for the long anticipated captaincy update. Once past pirate legend it was a goal that you could acquire. This would allow you to name your ship and also get more ship customization options. Your ships model would also be different and people could tell from a distance that it's not the basic ship but a legendary one. So hopefully some cool things are coming for this.

This concept would work amazingly well for the Captaincy update (I think lol). @Guybrush3pwood2 I would also like the ability to pay a shipwright to repair my ship's cosmetic damage while at an outpost. I hate seeing my wheel messed up and having wood sticks instead of pegs. And I hate seeing 100 cannonball holes in the side lol.

• @xcalypt0x Same here, it would be great to be able to dock your boat at an outpost and pay for repairs. Sometimes at the end of a session there's not an internal panel left without a plank plugging a hole. It would be nice to be able to spend a little cash on a bit of TLC for your trusty craft.

Views
1 out of 11