Could the PVP in adventure not be complete trash?

• Is there a way to let us actually PVP?

I had an incredibly fun time fighting multiple ships to gain access to a fort. Our crew sank 2 ships while there are 2 skeleton ship actively fighting everyone. We manage to lose aggro on the skeleton ships and we start the fort. We are on our guard while we clear the fort because we know one of they will surely be back.

Well they actually never come back, probably because they spawned at the other side of the map.

We then finish the fort and take the loot. We get sunk by a bigger boat that take us by suprise in the fog. No problem, we are going to challenge them to the outpost!

We appear on our ship and we get server merged. Come on, this is completly dumb.... and it is not a first time occurence. Fix that, it's beyond stupid.

Views
  • I think it works. If I defeat someone I want them removed - out of my face for X Amount of time.

Guess that’s why I always preferred the BF Mechanics over COD

• @path-xbox
    I bet the crew you sank would want closer spawns too...

• Not sure if I expressed my thought clearly. I want them to spawn closer. And I dont' want them or me to get server merged after one sink.

• Click bait rant for nothing.

• @PATH-XBOX Sorry mate, but a decent number of people had been complaining about sunken ships spawning too close for month until the spawn distance was increased to its current value. On the other hand you are the first one that I took note of who explicitly cries for the opposite. I think that fight is already lost.

And no, it's not "completely dumb" and "beyond stupid". They have a point when complaining about one and the same crew returning over and over again until the winning team's resources are depleted.

• Aargh the dreaded Server Merge. Scorn of the Seven Seas.

I don't agree with re-spawning close to where you sink. In fact. I think that Ships should re-spawn as far away as possible.

But besides that... Yes. Server Merge is the most feared and devastating feature of this game.

• @keizer-rainbow

I had plenty of server merges without any issues while doing an Athena, Tale or regular Missions, even Forts when we died all etc....

I feel the aggressors at fort still spawn very near.
    We one day had a Brig returning 11 times.
    No joke they sunk the 12th time at the outpost we were handing in loot.
    That was a little bit annoying tbh and not a challenge at all.
    Most of the time they sunk before they did a single shot.

• I understand the argument for having a delay before they get a chance to fight again by having a further spawn. I think the other side of the map is too far, but I understand if you think it's not.

I don't understand that anyone would want their ship or an enemy ship to be force server merged after one sink. It should be at minimum 2 or preferably 3 sink before they/you get force merged. I personally would only server merge if there is not enough player on the server and there was not any PVP recently between the remaining crew on that server.

From my experience (and I might be wrong), it seems to server merge more often if you got a few kills without dying.

[EDIT] Just before anyone mention it, I am aware that it is always possible to dodge a server merge by not exiting the ferry until one of your crewmate raise the anchor, but it is such an unnecessary mechanic.. that can't be done by solo players... and that is not known by every player.

• @path-xbox Server merges are just that........A complete server merge.
    The ship that sunk you 100% got merged with you or another server merged into your server. In either case your enemy was still actively on your server. You could have pursued them. If they weren't on your server it's because you didn't get back to them in time and they probably cashed and logged out.

Server merges only occur when

Two or less ships remain on a server and one of those ships drops anchor with the entire crew aboard.

If you got he "The world is changing" message then you merged into another server. The server you merged into will not get that message.

• Back in the day when the game had only just released ships would spawn in sight of the fort you were contesting, if two ships attacked you you might as well just leave because the tedium of dealing with the same two ships the whole time was... Tedious.

So Rare made it so when you died you'd respawn far away. This made contesting forts better.

As for Server merges, well yeah those happen when there are too few people on a server. Can't be helped. Those ships you beat probably left the game making it reach/cross that treshold. Just bad luck.

• @duke-of-spire Are you sure about that? I never heard anyone claim that it is possible to be merged into a new server with the anchor up. If everyone in the same server get merged to a new one at the same time, it would mean all the ship in the server has to have the anchor down at the same time. This seems highly unlikely.

• @path-xbox
    I got server merged headed to mermaids hideaway while i was goin top speed with the wind a couple weeks ago. I think its a myth about having to have the anchor down.

• @path-xbox Only one of the two ships has to drop anchor. We've tested it.

• @path-xbox
    I see what your saying now. That actually isn't a mechanic, sinking doesn't cause merges, at least not to my knowledge.

• @blazedrake100 Sinking definitely has nothing to do with merges.

• @nwo-azcrack
    @duke-of-spire
    @BlazeDrake100

Thank you, this is very interesting information. I noticed that I was merged after sinking about 1 time out of 3. I thought it was somehow linked. Good to know it's only related to the number of ships and that all ships merge. I will definitly try to go challenge the other merged crew now that I know that.

• I had a friend I sailed with merge into our server as he was headed to Sanctuary. We were headed towards Smugglers from the East in a Brig and noticed the Galleon Southwest of Sanctuary. As they pulled in to cash one of my assassins @Murphy576 got onto his ship and killed him and his crew as we riddled them full of holes. He messaged me and told me we had just sunk his ship. In the correspondence he mentioned he had gotten the merge message. We didn't get it! Hence, those merging get the message. Those not merging do "not" get the message. I will continue to monitor things as we all should for now.

• @path-xbox The way you describe it, PvP seems to work perfectly. It's just the server merge that's the problem.

• @duke-of-spire said in Could the PVP in adventure not be complete trash?:

@blazedrake100 Sinking definitely has nothing to do with merges.

No, but dropping the anchor does. And your new ship is anchored, so when the entire crew gets on it, it triggers the merge.

• @path-xbox said in Could the PVP in adventure not be complete trash?:

Not sure if I expressed my thought clearly. I want them to spawn closer. And I dont' want them or me to get server merged after one sink.

You're in the minority here I promise you. At launch, ships would typically spawn 1-2 islands over from where they sank, and everyone complained about it, saying how if you sunk a ship, they should either spawn across the map or server hop.

Also, if a ship keeps coming back, you will run out of supplies eventually, while the ship you continue to sink will have fresh supplies every time they come.

• Exactly... before the change (seems so long ago now), ships would respawn an island or two away to return to the fort armed with basic supplies while the defenders eventually depleted everything on their boat and the fort. Angry players jumped on here saying the PVP was pure trash and unfair because attackers could keep this up forever.

BTW, the feedback in this thread is infinitely more constructive than Summit’s (a semi-popular Twitch streamer) recent meltdown over an earthquake interfering with his attack.

• @ghostpaw A knee to the groin!😂 Funny stuff man....

• @duke-of-spire Summit lost me (not that I was actually a fan) when he wished for SoT and Rare to fail since they are not molding the game to fit his vision.

• @nwo-azcrack said

@path-xbox
    I got server merged headed to mermaids hideaway while i was goin top speed with the wind a couple weeks ago. I think its a myth about having to have the anchor down.

That's interesting. I never, ever anchor my ship because I like to have a quick escape option. One time, 2 hours into a session, I dropped anchor to prevent accidentally hitting an island at full speed, which I thought might explode the gp barrels stored in the lower deck of my sloop. I was instantly server merged.

• @wildbloodoz

Dont put your barrels there matey.
    U only store barrels there on an enemy ship.

• Server merge it happens.
    The main problem was the loot was not on your ship when merging.

If u didnt merge and the enemy didnt leave server they might been there quicker and raided the loot.
    U roll in and no loot left.

Only diffrence now since u merged is u can never know.

Solution is easy: Dont sink

• @weakdexx
    this was after the mast damage was added to the game so I was nervous about leaving them in the crows nest. I never leave them below anymore

• @wildbloodoz said in Could the PVP in adventure not be complete trash?:

@weakdexx
    this was after the mast damage was added to the game so I was nervous about leaving them in the crows nest. I never leave them below anymore

Yeah, I’ll take mast damage over peppering my hull with holes any day.

Views
25 out of 29