Add more Ships! Ships!! Ships!!!

• @swimplatypus7 said in Add more Ships! Ships!! Ships!!!:

@ultmateragnarok said in Add more Ships! Ships!! Ships!!!:

@LUNAR-CRAZE Rare playtested the galleon with 5 and 6 player crews. It was incredibly OP. People have asked for this time and time again and, just like the solo krakens and whatnot, they ask for it to be removed after it becomes far more difficult to do. The difference it it can't be as easily rebalanced.

Fore/Aft cannons are never going to work as normal cannons. Perhaps a smaller one, which creates smaller holes and can't load cursed cannonballs (although realistically someone would make smaller cursed ones, but that won't happen), could be balanced, but unless it's on a skeleton ship or some other AI ship it wouldn't work either way.

Bigger ship, eh. Could work, could fail. The galleon is already huge, at this point you'd need to start thinking in the way of multiple ships in balance and usability (bailing, docking, turning, acceleration/deceleration, sandbar clipping, etc would be difficult to do).

@XZODEAK & @m1sterpunch The reason for the 6 ship limit is twofold - the ships, not the players, are taxing on the server (this is why loading screens take longer in battles), and there are only 6 usable outposts (Morrow's Peak doesn't count as it's in the Devil's Roar, same reason you don't spawn there).

While they may have play tested a galleon with 5 and 6 player options it's still possible to balance such a ship by slowing things down on the ship.

Slow down how long it takes to raise the anchor, move the sails, turn the ship's wheel, repair the hull, number of holes that can potentially be in the hull, where the barrels are located, how fast the ship moves in different wind conditions.

All these things are components of ship balance can can drastically change how effective each crew member is and how important or not important it is to have all crew on ship.

These are the components of the ship that rare can easily augment to bring balance to the game.

Give me the controls and I can balance a sloop to be 10X more powerful now than it is or 10X weaker than it is now simply by adjusting the components listed above; the same can be done for any ship in Sea of Thieves.

Balance can be tricky, but it's not impossible and it's not complicated if you understand some basics of good game design.

How long exactly do you think players actually want to spend raising an anchor or turning a sail. Sure, you could balance it that way, but would it be fun? Rare struck a perfect balance, IMO via their own internal playtests.

• @captcoza The team had a 2-year lead time on development. I guarantee you that they've already got ideas up the whazzoo. I'm just glad their ideas are tempered with logic, common sense, and humility (unlike many who quickly post here without a thought of the potential consequences).

• @swimplatypus7 u can use the cannon but the wheel is only usable by the skellys

Views
37 out of 38