Making pirate combat more enjoyable

• At the moment combat is mostly just bunny hopping and hip firing the blunder buss in close quarters to one shot people, this is not my idea of pirate combat.
    A few ideas how this can be improved,

1. Either remove the ability to jump with a gun drawn or add a cooldown to it.
    2. Make the cutlass a more viable choice by making the movement speed normal whilst blocking and remove successive stun locks when getting hit (they just make it feel clunky)
    3. Balance the guns give the pistol a faster movement speed than a blunder buss or eye of reach.
    Views
    feedbackgeneral
  • I also want it more challenging, tactical and strategic. First of all, you have to remove the time penalty. You know what I mean? You don't hit the opponent and have to wait until the controls respond again. Such penalties. They brake immersion and are just, excuse me, dull done code.

Instead, there must be an exhaustion model. Examples:

• You run - you breathe heavily and have corresponding difficulties to aim calmly.
    • You aim with the gun, it weighs heavily, the longer you aim, the more restless your hand becomes.
    • You jump, your jumps get smaller if you don't take a break. You breathe heavily, see above. You may stumble, better slow down.
    • You have parried three hits with the sword, your sword arm's shoulder had to absorb the force of the blows, your arm is temporarily a little weaker.
    • You didn't hit an energetic attack, you stumble a bit, your blows and your defense are for a moment more uncoordinated and inaccurate.
    • You are injured, which makes your movements less precise and weakens your sword blows.
    • The swordfighting continues, all of the warriors are increasingly exhausted. Their arms feel heavier and weak, as does breathing. Raising the arm to block is only possible for a short time, which requires good timing. Hits are weaker and weaker. Your field of vision becomes narrower. Your head is aching. Your field of vision becomes narrower. Your head is humming, the blood is throbbing in your ears. Reaching for the gun now might be a good idea, but your hands are shaking.
    • Your opponent tries one more hop to surround you, but he tried to often. He is tired, he stumbles, is uncoordinated for a short moment, you kill him with a final afford.

Do you think this sounds like difficult to code? I don't think so. Literally everything you need is allready available. This would be a combat, worth to be called so.

Ongoing spawn killing might be less common, as the killer is more and more exhausted, the returning defender is reborn and fresh. The same goes for killing a number of players in a series, as you will be a little more tired and weaker after each fight.

• I made a similar thread some weeks ago called Weapon feedback.

...lot of good comments and suggestions there if you like reading!

I'm on console so gun fights with bunny hoping PC players are rough. I've resorted to cunning, stealth, misdirection, and guile to outwit foes like in loopey tunes (really censor!); but my execution needs work, haha! Atleast I'm playing like a pirate ;)

I too also know the pain of a blunderbus at point blank. If the gun made players walk bit slower I'd be okay with it since it is an extreme CQC weapon.

Sword combat has good bones; though the press guard while charging sword thrust to move at normal speed; and then jumping off ledges and bunnyhoping to go flying forward creates a skill gap and feels like an exploit not a feature. I dislike games where animation canceling is a feature of high skill play... It makes "reading" the game really difficult. If you can't join em, give up!

I also feel sorry for the pistol. It's a good gun and I wish I could carry one as a back up weapon and use it in my off hand when carrying a cutlass.

It'd be nice if two other melee weapons are added to complement the short, mid, and long archetypes of guns. Knife, Cutlass, Boarding axe / pike was suggested in my post.

Also lot of requests for throwbacks bombs like Molotov. Maybe can make a bomb from cannonballs. It'd be fun throwing a hot potato between friends and foes.

Views
feedbackgeneral
1 out of 3