Creating an essay over PVE-only implementation, need help from the community

• Basically, the title. I recently made a ranting post about why PVE-only should exist and it surprisingly got a lot of responses. My post was very emotionally-driven and came out not nearly as structural or mature as it should have been. I'll be redoing and creating an actual semi-essay in support of PVE-only implementation, and I need all your questions and concerns regarding the idea (of the PVE-only mode, not the essay lol.) Please hit me with all you've got, because I think I've got a legitimate solution. Thanks!

Views
  • @grqk The simple answer is the game was designed that your main obstacle would be other pirates. All other opponents that have been added to the game are easily overcome once you learn how.

Without other Pirates as possible opponents the game becomes to easy and people will grow bored and stop playing.

• I dont like the idea of time, money, and resorces being spent a pve mode. The game is already so bare. Its gettin better ill admit. But i would rather them do everything they can to improve the main game. Pve players will have different needs and wants than the rest of us. The updates now take the whole pvevp into account. So now there would have to be 2 teams tryin to make 2 different crowds happy. Adventure mode would suffer from this.
    Worst of all i dont want us all split up into groups. I didnt want the arena for the same reason. But once i saw it was just a condensed version of adventure, and not a pvp mode and hearing rare say it was for players who dont have much time, i was ok. I understood it was needed. I dont feel a pve mode is.
    The magic of this game is never knowing who you will meet out there. If a pve mode existed, players would never go grind on a regular server. Adventure mode would suffer again.
    And finally its just not what Rare envisioned. Its not what they are tryin to do here. They have forced us all togeather for better or for worse. I can feel their passion for this game they have worked so hard to make. We can make suggestions, sure. But asking them to change the core of the game seems selfish to me

• the other issue is rewards. how can you reward those playing in a pve mode. if you removed all gold earning and commendations then perhaps a pve mode can work.

a pve mode wouldn't be boring, forbsome this is the most enjoyable, but what people dont want is to lose the gold and things they have worked for; too bad.

in pve mode if you want to complete tall tales, feel free but no commendations, cosmetics or gold. no point in specific voyages since gold would not be given.

hunters call is fine to level up on since that is strictly pve, gain gold with that most you get is like 500 very rarely.

in short I dont think people would be bored since its their preferred game mode, but no one would play it since there would be no rewards to collect on.

• Good stuff, keep it coming. I wanna hear every reason why a "PVE-only" mode is a bad idea.

• @grqk

You should re-title your thread to

"Creating an essay over PvE-only implementations, need help from community"

There are PvE players that don't want PvE servers because they understand that it would kill this game and completely change a core principle in Sea of Thieves.

Its not just PvP'ers who think PvE servers are bad. First understand that simple fact.

Here is the reason why PvE Servers will kill Sea of Thieves -

Human nature.

• Yeah sorry but I don't think anything more that haven't been said already in your previous thread (or all the others you can browse in search) will come out of this.

When I see a post that goes "Alright, I know I posted on this, ima do it again" that just tells me you are expecting different answers since you didn't like the ones given previously. Still, good luck on your essay.

• Please just read your previous thread or search the forum for the hundreds of others, and you can put together the counter argument yourself.

Please don't ask me to do your work for you.

• @bloodybil thank you for the wish of luck. I think you're missing my point though. My first attempt was a mess and a pathetic attempt at getting change. I plan on making a post that might sway at least some of the community, hopefully I can provide a convincing argument, and I hope you read it when it's released.

• @xultanis-dragon fair point on the essay title recommendation, but I fail to understand your second point. I don't think players who want PVE only think the game will collapse without PVP. I'll argue no further about that on this thread, though. I'll address all concerns in my "essay."

• @badassfro said in Creating an essay over PVE-only implementation, need help from PVP lovers:

Please just read your previous thread or search the forum for the hundreds of others, and you can put together the counter argument yourself.

Please don't ask me to do your work for you.

Wait, you took the time and energy to reply with all of that but you couldn't give me just one simple reason as to why you don't like the idea of "PVE only?"

Maybe y'all don't understand that I'm taking this seriously. I've already scanned through many topics that are for and against the PVE argument. I made this post to find the concerns that havent been posted, as I don't want any to be missing from my essay. The last thing we need is for someone to bring up counter-arguments post-essay, as I plan on making it lengthy.

Thanks for your "input," though.

• @xultanis-dragon said in Creating an essay over PVE-only implementation, need help from PVP lovers:

@grqk

There are PvE players that don't want PvE servers because they understand that it would kill this game and completely change a core principle in Sea of Thieves.

Amen,

shameless reply copy from an other topic

Hence why i have 3 PvPvE-ers in my crew while i'm myself a PvE-er (aka captain).

Although i must say we have less and less PvP on the seas unless we initialise it first, last wednesday for example we had 1 pvp encounter with an other Galleon (them sailing with the Jolly Roger) (in 6 hours of sailing), but only after we chased them for a few min. (They sonk in seconds, prob explains why we just needed a few min to get to them).

Could be that it's quieter in Europe or maybe because we are on a galleon but we often we only have PvE experiences during the evenings we sail.

• @GRQK

Only two questions i have about this.

How is the overall population and has Rare some data about players who will play it extra for the PvP aspect, but do not neccessarily PvP all the time. In short how many PvEvP mixed mode players do we have who still will play in Adventure do mainly PvE but welcome the threat of pvp and not only accept it, but also take this or that opportunity to make some booty.

Because this is important about the 2nd question.

Will pve Servers make Adventure a pure PvP mode where every sail on the horizon is hostile for sure ir will it keep the unpredictabikity and uncertainty about other players.
    What is a core design of the Adventure mode.
    It's and should not be KoS.

If not i'm completely against PvE Servers as Adventure PvP would become a DM mode nobody or very, very few players will PvE in.
    And it will dry out get less and less attention and in the end we have SoT PvE and Arena.

But if we have good amounts of PvPvE players, who do exactly love SoT for it and do PvE while beeing prepared to take the opportunity for PvP i think another million pve players arent bad to support the game and we may have pve players who risk a look to the PvP Adventure.
    If both modes help each other and support the gsme in general a big yes.
    But nobody but Rare can evaluate this.

Edit: I have participated in nearly all of those discussions and i can tell you you wont get a result.
    Alone the Pixel jealousy debate is something i cannot understand by myself but is a thing for most gamers.

• Any PvE-only Mode should be different enough from Adventure Mode so that it isn't a replacement. Arena is a good example of this.

So the basic exploration elements and gameplay should be present. But not the "timed events" or Athena Missions. Perhaps Cosmetics and Rewards should also be reduced or totally different? Maybe instead of Gold (or Silver) you collect Bronze?

The important thing is that it's a fun place for Starters, Casual Gamers and Little Kids to explore but not a replacement for the excitement of Adventure Mode. You could even see it as a stepping-stone (training ground) towards graduating to Adventure Mode.

• @bugaboo-bill I absolutely get your point. It would be fantastic if we could get current-player numbers, as well as a count of adventure and arena players. Would also be fantastic if Rare could hold polls to see how players feel about PVE. Your concern for the well-being of Adventure mode is understandable, and I'm still gnawing on the impact PVE might have on it. Thanks for the input.

PS: have faith, maybe a well-thought out essay could get Rare's attention and create beneficial results for all parties involved =p

• @viperishemu2992 said in Creating an essay over PVE-only implementation, need help from PVP lovers:

Any PvE-only Mode should be different enough from Adventure Mode so that it isn't a replacement. Arena is a good example of this.

So the basic exploration elements and gameplay should be present. But not the "timed events" or Athena Missions. Perhaps Cosmetics and Rewards should also be reduced or totally different? Maybe instead of Gold (or Silver) you collect Bronze?

The important thing is that it's a fun place for Starters, Casual Gamers and Little Kids to explore but not a replacement for the excitement of Adventure Mode. You could even see it as a stepping-stone (training ground) towards graduating to Adventure Mode.

I like this. A lot. I'll be covering what I believe to be an "agreeable solution" to the implementation of PVE, and it sounds very similar to what you've shared. Thanks for the input.

• @grqk
    Im sorry i forgot my biggest problem with pve.
    Its not Sea of Thieves without the thieves.

I totally understand the value of a pve server financially. I have heard every argument from both sides. Both have good points.
    But at the end of the day, without the players, the thieves, even the horrible ones, this game is just a bare sailing experience with novice level pve enemies. The players are what make this game.
    From the dastardly villians who spawn camp, to the guys who roll up flashing lanterns playing COPS music tryin to pull you over to check your ship for illegal loot.
    The guys who steal your athenas at the last moment, to the players who i sailed with to kill my first meg.
    They really are the game. A pve mode will be a mind numbing grind after awhile. Everyone would be friendly. Everyone will be level 50. Then they will dissapear. Names forgotten. Nothing would be unexpected.
    You know i could probably go on for days about this. But i gotta get some sleep so i can try and pve myself tonight.

• @nwo-azcrack nothing to add there tbh, as a PvE-er i whould miss the "danger" off the seas, the AI is laughable. The only threat to our loot is either ourselfs or other players.

In PvE mode i'll whould have uninstalled SoT a long time ago cause i whould have "grinded" all coms etc so whats left to do? Nothing tbh so uninstall to make room for an other game to play.

The reason the majority (or i guess everyone) is still playing is because of the PvP delaying the "progress" of the game so they still have stuff to do.
    (besides the journey/stories offcourse)

Offcourse there are always pirates wo love to roleplay but how are you going to do that when you can shoot / kill eathother if the person in question did get sentenced to death for example?

• Just a few things I've got against PvE mode/server etc.

1. The time money and effort spent is just not worth it. This game was designed as a PvPvE game, to change that entirely just to suit the needs of a few is folly (and yeah it's a few because every time someone comes up with the whole PvE argument the upvotes for this is 20 to 1 for the no PvE servers/mode/etc.
    2. It goes against the freedom of this game. One of the key selling points is freedom, you get the tools from the moment you log in, you get a ship a stock of supplies and you're set loose in the world. Want to be a nasty pirate, go ahead, want to be a protector of the seas? go ahead. Want to be a drunkard crashing into every thip yelling drunkenly at people, go ahead. Its freedom is what makes is great, Who are you to dictate how people should be playing then?
    3. Dividing the playerbase, if you create a PvE server/mode you're essentially dividing the playerbase between PvE and PvP modes, this sounds decent on paper but it isnt. If you compare it to WoW then there seems nothing wrong, they can do it so why can't we? Well WoW was designed with a PvE enviroment not a PvPvE enviroment. I compare this more with games like Elite Dangerous, who have gone on record on making a mistake the private and solo modes are where people are playing, in a closed off space by themselves. I know how cool and great ED can be in regards to player interactions but most people won't notice because nowadays when you play in open you have a good chance to be blown up within a second and in closed there's no-one around to play with. Giving people this choise people choose to go with Closed/Private so they aren't ganked but if the choise wasn't there they wouldn't be ganked as much, people would hunt gankers, making ganking a rarity community events would be more fun etc because you'd actually meet other players doing those events etc. If you want to see more details just go to the Elite Dangerous subreddit and read some posts about open play and the state of that.

I've got more but I've spent so much time on these posts that I'm kind of just not putting the effort in this anymore. Just search my profile and you'll find some great gems of wisdom.

• Because that's exactly what the forum need... Another Thread about PvE servers. For the +999 time.

As others said, everything was already said and discussed about the pros and cons of adding such thing.

• @nunoazuldimeter you're assuming and not giving me the answers I need. I want PVE, but i don't want to negatively impact the PVPVE community. Please provide your unique "against" argument. Otherwise, your input is 100% useless to me.

• @nwo-azcrack @Nessiroj @Hynieth I know y'all probably think I'm being sarcastic when I say this, but seriously, thanks for the honest input.

• @nessiroj

What is this "grind" you speak of?

• Can't replay to you mate, forums don't like the first word of your username lol. What does it even mean that it gets marked as bad?

Some ppl like the "grind" to PL or PL10 or the comms others just enjoy the game, i know i as PvE-er whould have done it IF we did have PvE only servers.

Everyone has a different playstyle (good thing otherwise SoT whould become very predictable).

• @grqk I have any against or favor argument to provide about PvE... But I do have against multiple and repetitive threads in the forum. And PvE is a beaten horse already. Every day we have +10 posts about that.

Is that so hard to ask to stack all the posts and opinions about the same subject in the same thread, without creating and floating the forum feed

• @grqk
    This essay better not be sarcastic after all i typed!!!! Jkjk
    I actully look forward to seeing if you say something new something fresh.
    I usually try and keep an open mind. The game is awsome so i can see why ppl just wanna play in a less hostile environment.
    Like i said both sides have good points.

I use to argue against a pve server. Like really argue. Now i just try and convince ppl that the game is best played as it was meant to be. A mix of both play styles. Took me awhile to figure this out myself.

Ima read this essay tho. But if u mention a passive mode i swear ill prolly throw my phone in the sea

• @nwo-azcrack lol! No passive mode, couldn't possibly work, and would honestly break the idea of PVPVE servers. If what I'm formulating is feasable, and I think it is, it should please fans of PVE and shouldn't hinder the experience for PVPVE players. I'm not going to pretend like I'm a genius who just had the most significant idea in human history. It's really a pretty simple yet effective solution. As much as I'd like to share it I want to wait until my essay is well-rounded.

PS: it doesnt involve dedicated servers :p

• @nunoazuldimeter is it that hard for you to read this whole topic? As I mentioned to a previous user, I created this topic to obtain concerns/questions that haven't been brought up, or that I didn't catch looking at previous topics. I'm taking this seriously and don't plan on missing any good counter-arguments to my idea. Hopefully all issues will be addressed in sed essay instead of having to reply to every one I missed. Do you get my point or do I have to reply to someone else about this for you to understand?

• @nessiroj

Don't mind me, I'm just being a bit insufferable. =P

To grind or not to grind is a factor in the discussion, but probably a rather minor one when it comes to the actual implementation and ramifications of a PvE mode. I just have a hard time not putting in my oar when someone mentions one of my touchy subjects. =D

P.S.
    V-a-c-a means "cow" in Spanish. Seems to be something with the combination of 'a', 'c', and 'a' that the forum doesn't like. I've had similar words bafflingly censored.

• @grqk you joined the forum 4 days ago and you are the wonder that created to "Done with the game, please read Rare"

Do you really think that during 3/4 years all the possible discussion didn't take place already in this forum? Don't you really think that over 10 daily posts about the subject isn't enough for you to catch every possible opinion about the subject? Do you really need to create one your self, or are you just being lazy?
    If you really are taking this serious (I really don't understand the urge and how serious it could be) search yourself through the forums.
    You don't want it right? So why would I read all the post here, about a subject that I don't care as you're asking, when you don't do it?! 🤔

• @nwo-azcrack so I think I can argue literally every point I've seen on the forum, but the only one I'm not sure I can is your comment about what Rare envisioned. And I'll admit, I think you're right. I've seen the Twitter posts of one of the devs saying (paraphrasing) their whole plan was a game where you see another ship on the horizon not knowing exactly how it would play out. So I've been wandering, if the devs didn't want straight up PVE in the first place, would they add it even if a small group of the player base desperately wants it? I think maybe, and I think ultimately it comes down to how Rare thinks of fan service. If putting PVE in their game ups the overall player-base or active players at any given time, it would only be beneficial to them, especially if microtransactions are about to be brought in. The real question is, would Rare sacrifice a sliver of their vision for the game just to gain a fraction more players?

• @grqk
    I have a question hopefully you can answer. What can a PVE player bring to the PVEVP community with a PVE server?

• @grqk this is my issue with the PvE server "argument" everyone for it seems to think it will bring people to the game.

IF and that's a BIG IF it does bring people to the game it will only bring people NOT interested in PvEvP, therefore the furture of the game will skew to PvE ignoreing PvEvP. and all this based on the assumption that it will bring players.

Just cause people ask for things does mean it is in their best interest.

It's like when you have children and all they ask for is ice cream for dinner. Every child will ask for this at some point, by your logic because "a group (large or otherwise)" does that mean we should give it to them?

• @nunoazuldimeter you sound like you enjoy drama, I think at this point you're replying just to fight lol. Yes, I joined the forums four days ago. Yes, I created a very immature, childish, not thought out rant for my very first post. I'm trying to correct that and create a solution. But you're seriously wasting your energy on me, guy. I'm making that essay and I'm gonna convince somebody lol. So give me a legitimate problem you have with PVE please.

• @badassfro understandable. I'll get to that argument in the essay, as that portion requires another "solution" that I personally think is legit.

Views
1 out of 134