Trolling or Playing the game?

• Now, i've seen my fair share of people who are trying to ruin someones day, and my fair share of people who are just playing the game. Before you run off to these here forums and scream about someone who sunk you, read this. Trolls- They are there to sink you, and that's it, if you respawn and then come after you OVER and OVER and OVER again, they are most likely there to troll you, or they just enjoy pvp. Do not feed them, just take a deep breath, and be on your way. If they mess with you way too much, just leave the game. Pirates- They sink you because they think you have loot, plain and simple, or, again, they like pvp. You might have loot, they don't know, they are going to find out one way or another. Don't complain if they sink you.

NOW, there are PVP players, who like hunting ships in adventure mode, and they are hard to set apart from a troll sometimes. Here's how you would figure out which is which.
    1- Are they toxic?
    2- Are they mocking you?
    3- Are they not sinking your ship and just spawn killing you?
    If you have awnsered YES to any of those questions, it is most likely a troll, again, don't feed them. Leave the server, find a new one.

Instead of fleeing to the fourms and saying that the game is unfair, blah blah blah, think it over, were they just sinking me to see if I had loot? Or did they just like pvp? Don't immedietly jump to "THEY WERE TROLLING, OH MY GOD THEY WERE THE WORST AHHHHH" Take a breath, and leave the server if you feel that way. Please, please don't come to the fourms and yell about it. This has been a PSA.

Views
  • @toastysmooth100 well said!

• Just one more reason for PvE-only or private servers.

• @viperishemu2992 PvE Or Private servers would be a bad idea, you could go in there with some friends and get pirate legend in a week by doing lots of grinding in an alliance. There should still be that sense of danger when you are out on the seas.

• @toastysmooth100 said in Trolling or Playing the game?:

@viperishemu2992 PvE Or Private servers would be a bad idea, you could go in there with some friends and get pirate legend in a week by doing lots of grinding in an alliance. There should still be that sense of danger when you are out on the seas.

Or they could make the PvE server non-progress so you can do some events / races / rping etc. But that's about it.

While i presonally hate PvP, and don't play PvP games i like the balance SoT is offering me and my crew atleast. There is PvP is you want (my crew can have fun with that while i sail the boat) and there is plenty of PvE for me to enjoy the game.

I know if they whould put up PvE only servers the Adventuremode whould die really quickly, and ppl whould be done with the game in a week. What are you going to do afterwards? Complain there ain't enough content? Start in the Adventuremode try to troll ppl who are trying to do PvE content cause they are bored?

My crew (@CallMeBackdrafT, @DarkMage613, @mark147258) and me are sailing since launch together (some of us abit longer) and we are still not done with the content(or rather the comms) Shrouded Ghost anyone?! (we only sail one evening a week) but we enjoy the pace where going through the content, in general we are done a with the comms a few weeks before the next content hits.

PS. I do agree with OP though

• Why the SoT need no change.
    https://www.seaofthieves.com/forum/topic/93355/the-sea-of-thieves-need-no-change

Why loosing loot isnt that important.
    https://www.seaofthieves.com/forum/topic/93061/a-message-to-all-pirates-who-got-salty-over-loosing-loot/12

• @ToastySmooth100 I agree with you but their argument: IT SHOULDN'T HAPPEND IN THIS GAME and if you don't agree with me you're a supporter of it.
    And i've said one houndred times CHANGE SERVERS or suffer the consequences because if you are that stupid that you stay because they are trolling you and you are to stubborn to leave the server then you just suffer for nothing basically.
    So i agree with you mate, they should just leave the server but they're not...and that's when they come here and whine about it.

@viperishemu2992 said in Trolling or Playing the game?:

Just one more reason for PvE-only or private servers.

It's a SHARED WORLD, end of story. Don't play it if you want to be left alone because anything can happend.

People forget what kind of game they bought, a crossplaying OPEN WORLD game and now they want to change it even if they knew what they bought in the first place.
    Im so tired of these kind of users, get lost!

• I spawn kill on the regular. Not because I want to repeatedly kill, but because that's the only way to steal supplies. That's what most spawn killing is. If barrels floated up from a sunken ship, I wouldn't have to.

• @wilbymagicbear said in Trolling or Playing the game?:

I spawn kill on the regular. Not because I want to repeatedly kill, but because that's the only way to steal supplies. That's what most spawn killing is. If barrels floated up from a sunken ship, I wouldn't have to.

If only there were other ways to get supplies in the game

• @realstyli There's other, far more effective ways to get treasure to. I still don't.

• @reapinglegion said in Trolling or Playing the game?:

@ToastySmooth100 I agree with you but their argument: IT SHOULDN'T HAPPEND IN THIS GAME and if you don't agree with me you're a supporter of it.
    And i've said one houndred times CHANGE SERVERS or suffer the consequences because if you are that stupid that you stay because they are trolling you and you are to stubborn to leave the server then you just suffer for nothing basically.
    So i agree with you mate, they should just leave the server but they're not...and that's when they come here and whine about it.

It's a SHARED WORLD, end of story. Don't play it if you want to be left alone because anything can happend.

People forget what kind of game they bought, a crossplaying OPEN WORLD game and now they want to change it even if they knew what they bought in the first place.

Yes, it's a shared world. This doesn't mean that it can't have different modes. What is your point with this statement?

You are probably tired by this type of post because you see them so often (like CrossPlay and More PvP did before Arena). That means that there is a lot interest in PvE Mode.

But this is a forum about gameplay in the SoT and if you don't like the fact that PvE mode/Private Mode is one of the hottest topics perhaps your are the one who should "get lost". I say this for your own good because this topic is not going away any time soon. Spare yourself the grief.

• @viperishemu2992 said in Trolling or Playing the game?:

@reapinglegion said in Trolling or Playing the game?:

@ToastySmooth100 I agree with you but their argument: IT SHOULDN'T HAPPEND IN THIS GAME and if you don't agree with me you're a supporter of it.

Yes, it's a shared world. This doesn't mean that it can't have different modes. What is your point with this statement?

You are probably tired by this type of post because you see them so often (like CrossPlay and More PvP did before Arena). That means that there is a lot interest in PvE Mode.

But this is a forum about gameplay in the SoT and if you don't like the fact that PvE mode/Private Mode is one of the hottest topics perhaps your are the one who should "get lost". I say this for your own good because this topic is not going away any time soon. Spare yourself the grief.

Unfortunately PvE only servers are a hot topic is due to the influx of unaware players that bought a game and expect it to be what they want and not what it is. It's like a person going to McDonald's and asking for a Whopper. We all want more for this game but it needs to be for all to use.

• @inboundbomb said in Trolling or Playing the game?:

Unfortunately PvE only servers are a hot topic is due to the influx of unaware players that bought a game and expect it to be what they want and not what it is. It's like a person going to McDonald's and asking for a Whopper. We all want more for this game but it needs to be for all to use.

Except that McDonald's isn't allowed to sell Whoppers and Rare is allowed to make new Modes.

A PvE mode is for all to use. If you don't like it, don't play it. Just like Arena. Regardless of someone's expectations, if you have disappointed customers and you have a chance to make them happy, then do it. Sell them that Whopper.

• @viperishemu2992

I know people have already brought up the playerbase issue, but with the upcoming cross-play opt out, it might be a bit disastrous - first it was divided by Arena, then it'll be halved again by cross-play opt out, then again by PvE vs. Adventure. As a UK player, if I hop onto open crew, I'm plonked on a new ship with no crewmates more often than not as it is.

@inboundbomb said in Trolling or Playing the game?:

Except that McDonald's isn't allowed to sell Whoppers and Rare is allowed to make new Modes.

A PvE mode is for all to use. If you don't like it, don't play it. Just like Arena. Regardless of someone's expectations, if you have disappointed customers and you have a chance to make them happy, then do it. Sell them that Whopper.

A bad analogy on my part and Rare has the option to make more game modes its their game. In the same token of that being said they have the right to say to the customer that we only sell Big Mac's here. My problem lies with the work that would be involved being doubled for the devs for a separate mode and will continue to limit the way the game will proceed and may ultimately die out due to time constraint on updates and DLC.

• What bothers me a bit is that this game and many other game get's a lable. It's always a PvP game or a PvE game or a combination of both...

That this game is a Heaven for people with lots of imagination skills is more and more pushed away in a shadow...
    There are many Pirates that just become a Pirate when playing this game , they start talking like one , and act like a Pirate...If you like it or not , This game is called Sea Of Thieves. It means you can steal and you can be stolen upon. You can be killed , because Pirates had weapons . You can be dissapointed because this game has it's trolls, like every other Multiplayer game...You can blame the Developer for this but...isn't it a fact that everybody that buys or hires this game is allowed to play it untill becoming banned?...

i've met a lot of trolls , mostly they come in packs since they are very verbal in a group but solo trolls are pretty seldom...

i can promise you that i'm one of the worst Pirates ever when it comes to sailing , killing and stealing skills but what i do , still do after two years which included the Alpha Testing period, is having and making fun...In my own way , i have no story to tell , not one that i premeditated , i play with what comes in mind on the spot ...It's called Improvisation , a maybe old word and not sounding as cool as PvP, Pve , Private Servers , Crossplay , Opt out and many other names ...But Improvisation has brought a lot of smiles as well to me , the crew i'm in and even the " enemy"...

i play this game to have fun nomatter what label is placed on this game because no lable can cover the Intense , almost Magical Feelings a person can have by interacting in many , many ways with others...

People seem to believe that this game is only about killing Pirates , hunting or chasing them , and steal from people...And that's all...But my Dear Brothers and Sisters of the Coast , there is so much more in this game...

i like to look at the shipsails , hullpaint , flags and so on and on just to see if there are New Pirates around...A New Pirate reacts often as a scared rabbit , shoots holes in the ozon layer while his triggerfinger is ruled by nervousness...Those Pirates , our crew like to have a chat with , just to see where they need help and you would be amazed , and i'm sometimes sad to hear that many off them see this game purely as a PvP , PvE or a combination of both...
    i'm telling you , it's much and much more , and by treating them Friendly , give em an Alliance , fight together in a Fort or Skeleton Fleet and let them feel that the Sea needs All and that the "experienced " gamer ( * Yo, moron ...Did you just called yerself experienced ? If age comes to surface then you definetely are experienced old seal but that's all , for the rest you're the dumbest soul ever born...fool - Oh Sunshine , aren't you glad , he could fix his PC so you could slander him again? * You think he fixed it ? You're even dumber than our Moron, i wispered in his earswhat he needed to do or he had no PC for a year ...) is glad with New Blood to the Sea...

Now many will think they have easy preys when meeting the New Pirate and taunt , troll, steal , and hunt them down till there's no tomorrow ...But ask yerself one question: Will you , as a new player ,come back to a game where you are called dirt , shaken down till yer last possession and be hunted around the server untill you finally give up? Will you come back? ...

You can do two things ,kill everything and everyone at sight , without remorse , and you will be playing on day this , and other Mutliplayer Games on yer own or you can show a Heart , guide the New Player in a New World wich he /she / them loves and where you share tips and tricks so they are a better match to fight with than just killing " newbies " with the fingers in the nose...

So see this game more than just PvP or PvE and drop that fight about who's the better Pirate ,PC or Xbox...This game is about having ,and creating fun towards others...Give up spawncamping , or hunting the same solo or new players from the server so he /she /them start to hate this game...

We , All, have the possibility in our hands and Heart to create sessions in wich you can do anything from fighting , stealing ,sailing , and even helping eachother out with the use of a slight inch of imagination ...
    And i can tell you ,by experience , that helping , or fighting without using hateful comments can be as fun to me ,my crew and the " enemy"...

Oh, i'm pretty ( * only in yer dreams , drooler) certain that i can't change a mentality by this and other texts but i do try to have and share some fun in that 24 Pirates server...If you like it or not...Because Fun is another Lable that doesn't get used much anymore to categorize a game...

• @Clumsy-George
    Good games make people roleplaying without to know.
    They get soaked in and immerse automatically into the world and then participate as part of it using the tools they got by the devs and roleplay, because that is the way the game works.
    This way they enrich the world.
    A good example is auctionhouses or global chats versus people banking and selling crafted good on a marketplace while online or using the speaking trumpet to communicate and maybe ally instead of writing LfG in the worldchat or put your crafted goods in a unpersonal AH.
    Many QoL features of online games are game killers.
    They kill the whole sense of online playing with other players.
    Therefore tons of lone wolf MMORPG players or solo sloopers are around. If they are honest they dont want it to be online or interact at all.
    But one thing is important about the online thing.
    Rise and Shine and compare oneself to the others.
    Next thing that destroys fun with the precision and certainity of an amen in the church.

• @viperishemu2992 Yes, rare can absolutely make new modes, but PvE is not going to be one of them. I've already stated why this is a bad idea, but let me give you more examples of people using this in an awful way. Spamming forts, mass killing krakens and megs, etc. Now, let's say they added a PvE mode for people who wanted to make videos or something like that, and you couldn't get money, doublounns, or rep. That would be fine, because no one could take advantage of it. But in terms of a version of PvE where you can gain all of those things, it won't happen, don't get your hopes up.

• @wilbymagicbear sagte in Trolling or Playing the game?:

I spawn kill on the regular. Not because I want to repeatedly kill, but because that's the only way to steal supplies. That's what most spawn killing is. If barrels floated up from a sunken ship, I wouldn't have to.

So you spawnkill and make people quit because getting the supplies from barrels by yourself is to much?
    Like Tar Te, who i have blocked and fortunately cannot read his posts anymore saying he want people to leave the server to get new players he can make leave the server?
    There was another guy, i blocked him too, who wrote in another thread he is here to break will and make people leave servers.
    Like the players what get accused in this thread https://www.seaofthieves.com/forum/topic/91227/curbing-toxicity-in-sot-video-evidence-of-toxicity-in-post/32?

If that is your playful aproach and the way you deal with your fellow players competing or not (especially when competing), I'd like to know, because i then block you like the other jerks.

• @toastysmooth100
    Spawn camping doesn't necessarily mean they're trolling, they could be siphoning resources or loot from your ship. But every thing else is good.

• @viperishemu2992 Well im not the one whining so im all good.

• @blazedrake100 Why not just, you know, do what they did to get those supplies, and go find them at forts, or at outposts, or seaposts, or ANYWHERE THAT HAS BARRELS.

• @toastysmooth100
    I don't do this, but if you're going to sink someone, might as well get what they have. I do agree that it can be trolling if there's no reason, but I was giving an instance where it isnt. You can still scuttle even if they have a reason.

• This is no help for people short on time, but whenever I'm out numbered while my ship has basically been claimed by another crew I try to swim to safety and live the castaway life. Pretending there is no option to scuttle is the closest we have to mutiny and true ship thievery. You can look for a rowboat and eventually reclaim your ship, or fish on the shores and hope passing vessels take pity on you. Of course, this all plays into creating your own stories, as you are free to do the first thing that comes to mind: Fight back to no avail.

• @inboundbomb I can see that. It's actually the only mature, objective and supportable counter-argument against creating a PvE mode that I have every received in all of my many discussions on this point (here and on Reddit).

It's true that the time/energy/money that would be required to create a 3rd mode MAY be better spent on other projects for the over-all "health" of the game. That's a strategic and financial decision that only Rare (and Microsoft) have the information to make.

I suppose only time will tell?

@inboundbomb I can see that. It's actually the only mature, objective and supportable counter-argument against creating a PvE mode that I have every received in all of my many discussions on this point (here and on Reddit).

It's true that the time/energy/money that would be required to create a 3rd mode MAY be better spent on other projects for the over-all "health" of the game. That's a strategic and financial decision that only Rare (and Microsoft) have the information to make.

I suppose only time will tell?

This is so true. We will have to wait and see and hope that things won't suffer too much.

Views
25 out of 26