PvP sword and gun tips

• Sorry if this has appeared many times before but i'm after tips.
    I play on Xbox and am terrible at PvP battles with guns or swords.
    I solo sloop a fair bit (although same happens in arena) and have quite good seamanship and cannon craft I like to think. However, although ship to ship I like my chances (no matter the size of enemy) I now tend to run instead of fight as I know that the enemy will just send 1 or 2 over to board me and that's me dead. I just can't seem to avoid their attacks or reply with any meaningful ones of my own. I know once I respawn, they'll be waiting for me and kill me again so I usually just scuttle and start again.
    Any advice (except just keep running) would be much appreciated.

Views
  • @scoobyd2uk

First, give this a look: https://www.seaofthieves.com/forum/topic/33162/training-with-subzarr-advanced-swordplay-guide

Not everything in it is still accurate because the cutlass has had many changes. Namely, you cannot combo off the environment anymore. My biggest advice for the cutlass is:

• Don't sword lunge unless you have a high likelihood/chance of landing it.
    • If you miss you swing, quickly put away and pull out the cutlass again. You can swing again sooner than if you wait for the cooldown.
    • Do not engage a player with your cutlass if you know they are carrying a blunderbuss.
    • You can hit enemies through the walls,floors,ceilings, and objects of the ship. It will no longer allow you to combo but you can still get hits off quickly by canceling the swing cooldown.

The gun-play is pretty straightforward. Each weapon fills a niche.

• Blunderbuss - Close range, anti-cutlass (pushes back the player)
    • Flintlock - Mid range, all around good weapon
    • Eye-of-Reach - Long range

Some quick tips for these weapons:

• Try to aim down sight at all times with the blunderbuss and aim for center mass (not at the head). There is no headshot damage multiplier and aiming for the head will cause more pellets to miss.
    • Flintlock is great for hip firing once you get a feel for where the center of your screen is.
    • The guns can shoot through the floor of the crows nest.
  • @xcalypt0x Thanks very much. I wondered why my blunderbuss seemed ineffective, i always aim for the head......

• No matter what you may hear about "Double Gunning" always carry a Cutlass as it never runs out of ammo and gives you the ability to Block and Lunge Dive. Unless you are very comfortable in combat "Double Gunning" is rarely a good idea. Although in the water you will want the EoR and Pistol combination for finishing off enemies. Even the best players who double gun usually fall to me and my Cutlass/Gun combo. "Double Gunning" has it's time and place.... but 99% of the time you want to carry a Cutlass.

The Blunderbuss is great for one shot executing an unaware stationary opponent. Or maybe getting in a lucky point blank shot in combat against less skilled opponents.

It's also a good weapon for certain situations like boarding. But it's range is very limited. Maybe a good weapon to start out with because it's easy to use?

The Pistol loads the fastest but only does 50% damage. So it normally takes 2 shots to kill someone. Or 1 shot and then 3 hits with the Cutlass.

It probably should be your standard choice until you get better at combat.

The EoR does 70% but takes longer to reload. It also has the scope which means your shots are more likely to "count" than with the Pistol. It still takes 2 shots to kill someone but only requires a 2 hit follow up with the Cutlass.

I carry the Cutlass and EoR as my standard weapons. I will occasionally go EoR and Pistol for in the water and Cutlass/Blunderbuss for boarding.

But I either two shot kill my opponents with EoR from range or shoot once from close up and engage. 2 quick chops and down they go!

So my advice is stick with the EoR/Cutlass combo until you get "deadly" with it and you can't go wrong :)

• Some general combat tips:

Always check to see if your guns are loaded and you have full ammo. Lots of players die because they forget this basic rule. "Click!"

Never stop moving/bunny-hopping until you are ready to attack. Once you stop moving you are a "sitting duck".

Eat Fruit/Fish ASAP. Don't delay with healing unless it's to perform a "sure-thing" kill move.

Don't risk a Sword Lunge unless you are at full health. I you miss (which may well happen) you are going to take some damage.

When holding your Cutlass in the block position you can "side-hop" right and left to dodge attacks/shots. Takes some practice but once you master this skill it will definitely spare you some pain.

When attacking with your Cutlass keep mashing the hit button and pressing the attack. Your hits will stun you opponent forcing him to retreat or block. 5 hits will kill anyone without a health boost. If your opponent does get a block in immediately move backwards and pull out your Pistol/EoR and shoot him. This is where the Pistol excels! 3 hit combo, back up, shoot, WIN!

Tactical awareness. Remember where you are fighting. In some situations getting killed isn't necessarily that bad strategically. In these fights you can take more risks. Some fights you really must stay alive. Take less chances and fight safer. You want to win the War, not the Battle.

Remain calm. Approach the fight clinically and don't forget to breath. It's just a game. Once I learned this I started winning most fights. It's actually the best advice on this list.

Run, run, run. If you feel you are not in charge of the situation run. Remember to "spam" any health barrels and ammo crates that you pass and to reload your guns while bunny-hopping like crazy! Attack again when you have full health and loaded guns.

• Thanks for all your advice. It worked. Managed to defend myself from a boarding for the first time......

Views
1 out of 6