Fishing Holes

• So what's yer favorite fishing hole? What do you recall catching there? What are the pros and cons?

I'll get started:
    Athena's Fortune:
    Splashtails (So far)
    Pros - Float in the water, no sharks and no skeletons. If you fish close to the dock then you get music to listen to. Kind of a cool vibe to the whole fishing thing.
    Cons - The 5 catch limit cuts into fishing time.

Mermaid's Hideaway -
    The Pond - Pondies, splashtails
    Pros - Quick catching, short distance to ship. If a rowboat is handy push it across the short towards the pond, but don't get it in the water. Fill it up then push it back to yer vessel.
    Cons - Skeletons of any type, you may end up a hunting trophy for one of them.

Views
  • Hidden Spring Keep is good if your doing Pondies since you don't have skellies popping up. I have found fishing by seaposts are good so you don't have to contend with islehoppers.

• You can fish in the hideout? I didn't know.

... grabs pole and squeezebox

• Hangman's hate, Forsaken Serpent, ah well, all of the shipwrecks :).

I only took out my pole out once or twice to show my crew how to fish.

• @tenableclown15 said in Fishing Holes:

Mermaid's Hideaway -
    The Pond - Pondies, splashtails
    Pros - Quick catching, short distance to ship. If a rowboat is handy push it across the short towards the pond, but don't get it in the water. Fill it up then push it back to yer vessel.
    Cons - Skeletons of any type, you may end up a hunting trophy for one of them.

If you stand on the rocks, and a few skellies without guns spawn, you can have them hang around and hopefully no new skellies spawn. From here, they'll never get a chance to attack you.

• This is a stretch, but I can remove if the majority feels so: A skelly Galleon's porch.

Pros:

• Peaceful if you remain in the center of the balcony.
    • Possibly Battlegills.
    • Constant travel to eventually sell your food.
    • Potential loot in the cabin.

Cons:

• A screaming captain, with possible vocal chord damage...
    • Hostile if you don't stand on the center of the balcony.
    • No storage barrels are within reach, you must wait for a seapost.
  • @hisdarkestfear Now that sounds like fun!

• @tenableclown15 Pondies are better caught in the cave of the shores of gold, ever quciker than at mermaids hideaway

• Skull forts that have a pond are definitely the best to fish for pondies, since you won't get bothered by skellies (unless the fort is active). My go-to place is Crow's nest fortress. They're also a good choice if you want to catch a lot of fish since they can't swim very far, so it only requires a single reel in to catch them.

Also shipwrecks are excellent, because besides the wreckers that you can fish for, their barrels are usually a good source of additional fish (including the rare ones) and meat. And as long as you park your ship over a wreck it will never despawn, so you will get restocked barrels every in game day or so (haven't found a fixed time for the restocking, but it worth jumping back in every now and then to check if the barrels have filled back up). The barrels can also give you new bait, so it can be a very profitable fishing spot.

Other than that, it's just a matter of going to the area's where the fish are that you want to catch. I prefer parking at a seatrader, so you can turn in what you catch right away and you don't run the risk of losing it when you are attacked.

Last tip: Mermaid gems! Sell them at the Hunters and you will get considerable rep for that faction.

• @aod-woutah78 The shipwreck barrels are on a 30 hour timer (game time). they won't all restock every 30 hours though, some will remain empty.

Protip: the food, cannonball, and wood barrels on shipwrecks never restock, so check the food barrel when you first arrive to see if someone else has already been there.

Views
5 out of 10