What a cool game. I wish it actually worked on PC too.

• We have a few PCs on a LAN setup with a couple of friends, and we though we'd give Sea of Thieves a go a while back. Sounds like a cool idea, right? I have to say I have NEVER during my 25 years of PC gaming had more trouble getting a game to work than what we are experiencing with SoT.

We downloaded the game individually for all 4 machines during Easter time, since you can't just simply copy the files from one PC to another like you can with Steam games. This took several days, because the broadband isn't exactly the fastest at the location. Then we found out the game doesn't work. Every time you try to start it, it crashed back to the desktop right after the initial splash screen. I have now spent hours and hours and hours and hours trying to figure out why this happens, and why it doesn't happen on some PCs but it does happen on ALL the PCs that are currently part of that LAN setup.

Yes I know there is a support page for this exact problem, with a collection of seemingly completely random tips ranging from simply updating your Windows to running some mysterious shell scripts in the Powershell. I've tried all those, no result.

Just yesterday I thought I had a breakthrough, I followed some obscure forum tip and created a separate Windows login account that uses the Microsoft Account, instead of being simply a local account like the ones we normally use FOR EVERY SINGLE OTHER GAME AND PURPOSE. This actually solved the problem for 2 out of 3 PCs, (Rare, I strongly suggest you include this in your list of possible cures) but to my surprise not the third. On that third PC it still crashed just like before, despite having the same exact setup with login accounts. Haven't tried it on the fourth one just yet.

What really bugs me is that Rare apparently have no idea where the problem is, and they seem strangely reluctant to get to the bottom of it. I opened a ticket for this problem recently, and sent some diagnostics to the support person, to which he simply replied something like 'thanks for the info, the devs will be in touch if they ever find anything'. Then he marked the ticket as 'solved'. Solved my a***. It's not solved since it still doesn't work. Judging from all the various forum posts there are masses of people with exactly the same problem, but no one knows where the problem is and how to solve it. Plenty of forum posts that begin by saying 'I just bought the game but it doesn't work, plz help!', then describe the same exact issue, while the replies are something like -'Have you tried this solution?' -'Yes I have.' -'oh well, that's too bad, I suppose it just doesn't work for you then'. Oh that's nice to hear. As an IT professional that really gets my goat. How is that even possible? Since it appears to be a problem with the microsoft account / local account credentials or something, how on earth is it not a simple job for the devs to look at the code to see what the first things are that get loaded after the splash screen, and figure out why the Windows account causes the game the crash at that exact moment?

As I'm writing this SoT is again 50% off in the MS Store. Too bad no one's going to buy it since it doesn't bloody work on PC. No one SHOULD by it as long as it doesn't work.

Views
    bug
  • Hi. Coming to the rescue, so let's start.

Give me the full spec of the PC.

Make sure your drivers are up to date. I mean by that Nvidia drivers or whatever GPU you have.

Did you checked the privacy settings of each PC? You must make sure that Windows 10 allows acces to the SoT app from the setting/privacy section of window 10.

Do you have an anti virus on your PCs? If so which ones and also : have you tried running the game without it ?

What is your firewall settings? Is it set on ultra high? If so your firewall might block the app from running. Set the firewall to medium or temporarily deactivate to see if it helps.

Waiting for your reply.

• Ouch that sucs, working fine where with 5 pc's on the same lan (although 500/500mbit fiber @ home does help in download speeds) when some friends come over for the weekend with zero problemens so far :(

Besides the points mentioned by @dotcomrobots:

As an IT guys i presume you checked the logbooks from Windows to see if they give an error that might help with this issue?

• @deocoronatus i get your frustration that you cant get it to work, and the people above me already gave some great sollutions i never had problems with gettig it to work and neither did any of my friends

• Playing on a Laptop for over a year and have zero problems.
    Not installing, not updating, playing, nothing.

You need to be a real Pro if you cannot install and run a game and make such exagerating claims.

• This!!! I am currently on My 6th installation? I dunno lets see..

1st worked fine. Was on local account and never had that pc tied to a windows account.

2nd never worked. Was a brand new SSD, New win 10 pro and only SoT on the machine. tried everything in the support.

3rd never worked reinstalled SoT on that new machine... never worked.

4th I wiped the brand new ssd and tried again, exactly the same way , fresh windows install and it worked for no good reason. But quit 3 weeks later. Keep in mind I did nothing different than the first time I installed windows above a few days earlier.

4th, current, reinstalled the game and its working for since 2 weeks after the aniversary update. Fingers crossed

It crashed the same way yours did. Opened black screen and closed. no reason. I can recreate the event though by unplugging the ethernet cable.

Its seemingly random, and Rare nor microsoft have any idea what to do about it.

I will say this is a Microsoft store problem and not a RARE problem though. This, if you widen your search with even viewer codes... will bring up Forza, and other microsoft store titles. So, Microsoft cant get their own store working consistently. Move game to Steam... Problem solved.

• Had the same problem, tried everything on the list. Had to use the "Fresh start" feature in Windows 10 and now SoT starts nicely (had to re-download it tho).

Surprisingly fast and with a small impact on other installations because with Steam, Uplay, Battle.net you don't have to re-download anything efter the refresh.

Views
bug
1 out of 7