The Capstan/Anchor Feels Unbalanced

• @wilbymagicbear said in The Capstan/Anchor Feels Unbalanced:

@mysticdragon297 It will change not so much because the best players will improve, but the newer players will either quit or improve. There was a huge influx of inexperienced players with anniversary, but their numbers are waning. Eventually, boarding via the ladder will be near impossible, and the anchor will almost always be caught. Just wait a while.

again, it has been one year and the meta has still not changed. there are more ways to boarding a ship than just the ladder. if saying that players will get better at camping ladders is a valid argument, i can say that players will get better at knowing when to climb them or when to use any other means to board. another point to make is that even the most experienced of players know that releasing the capstan is meta.

• @mysticdragon297 There is no 'getting better' at climbing a ladder. As long as the ladder guard isn't stupid, there's no way around them. There's not really any getting better at camping the ladder either, so much as simply having the discipline and coordination to actually do it. Experinced crews will guard their ladders and catch their anchors, and so trying to anchor them won't be so effective. Shooting the wheel and masts is.

@mysticdragon297 There is no 'getting better' at climbing a ladder. As long as the ladder guard isn't stupid, there's no way around them. There's not really any getting better at camping the ladder either, so much as simply having the discipline and coordination to actually do it. Experinced crews will guard their ladders and catch their anchors, and so trying to anchor them won't be so effective. Shooting the wheel and masts is.

and again, why are the majority experienced players (on stream and pvp videos) not doing so? and to not just include the helm or mast, why are they not attempting to outmaneuver their opponents? why are they not eliminating the crew before doing anything? why are they not attempting to obliterate a ships hull to win their battles?

because releasing the capstan is meta. it required little thought and effort to pull off and it is just too rewarding to do anything else.

and again, the ladder is not the only way to board a ship.

• Does anyone here actually camp the ladders? Seems stupid to me. Listen for swimmers, know when the ships are positioned such that someone could potentially be swimming towards you, pay attention to whether their cannon shots are firing cannon balls or not, etc, sure. But camping the ladders? What is this nonsense?

• @mysticdragon297 M80, the only other ways are cannon boarding, which is more than a little tricky, and ramming, which is just a bad move.

It's meta to go for anchor drops because preventing it is what requires skilled crews, not doing it. Of course it's meta to anchor drop on uncoordinated crews that have no idea what they're doing. That strategy doesn't work so well against experinced crews.

• @rk1-turbulence I camp them because I can't hear them swimming or climbing.

@rk1-turbulence I camp them because I can't hear them swimming or climbing.

Tbh I'd rather have the occasional boarder than effectively being a man down the entire time noone is trying to climb the ladder.

@mysticdragon297 M80, the only other ways are cannon boarding, which is more than a little tricky, and ramming, which is just a bad move.

It's meta to go for anchor drops because preventing it is what requires skilled crews, not doing it. Of course it's meta to anchor drop on uncoordinated crews that have no idea what they're doing. That strategy doesn't work so well against experinced crews.

even if both crews are of the same skill level, the anchor will still be meta as it takes little to no thought or effort to pull off. even experienced players ram for most encounters because boarding and anchor releasing are meta.

• @mysticdragon297 If the experinced crews you know are ramming, then you haven't met any experinced crews.

@mysticdragon297 If the experinced crews you know are ramming, then you haven't met any experinced crews.

considering that the releasing the capstan has been meta for over a year by now, i find that hard to believe. experienced players follow meta.

• I find it more annoying that the anchor just drops to cannon fire (not even direct fire). Now I spend more time catching the anchor then using the cannons in a battle.

Views
45 out of 46