Constant Freezing and Crashing

• While roaming the Sea of Thieves, I encounter many frame drops, not just loosing some FPS like 10-20, but dropping to about 1-4 FPS. Yesterday, my game actually crashed which is new. This is especially annoying when I'm camping a ship and I'm in PVP mode, or, just in general when doing every day pirate tasks (digging up chests, fishing, battling skellies, etc)

THIS SHOULD NOT A HARDWARE ISSUE (as far as I'm aware)

I use a i9-9900k, a RTX 2080, 16GB of RAM, and the game is on a SSD. The drivers are up to date too. Just about every other game works fine. Fortnite, even though I don't really play it anymore, is the only other one I've seem to have a similar issue with. Could it be Unreal Engine since both of them use it? That shouldn't be the problem because PUBG is made with it and I don't remember running into an issue with it. I don't think I can open crash logs so I can't share it with you all. Thanks for any support!

Cheers!
    -Lion

Views
    bug
  • @onlyalion said in Constant Freezing and Crashing:

While roaming the Sea of Thieves, I encounter many frame drops, not just loosing some FPS like 10-20, but dropping to about 1-4 FPS. Yesterday, my game actually crashed which is new. This is especially annoying when I'm camping a ship and I'm in PVP mode, or, just in general when doing every day pirate tasks (digging up chests, fishing, battling skellies, etc)

THIS SHOULD NOT A HARDWARE ISSUE (as far as I'm aware)

I use a i9-9900k, a RTX 2080, 16GB of RAM, and the game is on a SSD. The drivers are up to date too. Just about every other game works fine. Fortnite, even though I don't really play it anymore, is the only other one I've seem to have a similar issue with. Could it be Unreal Engine since both of them use it? That shouldn't be the problem because PUBG is made with it and I don't remember running into an issue with it. I don't think I can open crash logs so I can't share it with you all. Thanks for any support!

Cheers!
    -Lion

Well, might be a defective hardware... Faulty cooling/overheating CPU... Or a Driver issue, maybe even a combination of these. I would do some more testing, if i were you.

That being said, i have i9-7900x, ASUS RTX 2080 Ti Dual OC, 32 gb ram SSD harddrive and SSD buffering thingy i cant remember the name of right now.

I use a 144hz monitor, and SoT has any fps from 144+ on the seas to minimum 40 fps on islands, 40 fps being the lowest on shores of gold, i play with mythical graphics settings... but still, this game is on a LOOOOONG journey of optimization. :P

• @sweltering-nick I don’t believe it’s cooling. I just installed a Kraken x62 AIO cooler and it stays a good 20° under what it used to, usually not going above 60° C. That’s quite odd that you get under 40FPS on shores of gold.. in Outposts and Shores of gold I stay above around 60FPS to 90FPS. All mythical as well. (It also isn’t because I’m not using V-Sync or something I use a 240Hz G-Sync Monitor.) I’ll have to see. It only really happens with Sea of Thieves and that’s the game I’m into right now so it’s really not something I wanna be experiencing when I’m playing for a good 6-8 hours straight.

• @onlyalion True, again though, this game is on a long journey of optimizations... When the computer is rendering the entire shores of gold, as well as the cave system underneath it, it makes sense for the fps to drop a lot when none of this has been optimized yet.

• Never makes sense to drop that much... Only time I've had something like that on an optimal system is due to background resource hogs... Antivirus, defrag, Windows updates...

Hope you figure it out

Views
bug
1 out of 5