Gold Curse Feedback + Suggestion

• Okay so... I got Gold Curse a little while back.
    https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/541996260870062090/579753630081482762/Sweltering_Nick_Gold_Curse.png

The spots of gold you see here, is all the gold my character got... Basically, i am not happy... My curse doesn't match any of the gold hoarder NPC's, so im wondering if mine is bugged somehow, as i hear people are supposed to get a curse based on one of the gold hoarder NPC's.

As far as i know, my curse is completely unique, but very underwhelming.

Having searched furiously for information about this curse, i haven't found anything related to how this curse works specifically, other than the fact that some players get the gold hoarder NPC curses, speaking of which, i actually encountered a fellow player ingame that got Horace the Hoarder's curse... With most of his body covered in gold, but most importantly, a golden foot! Boy am i jealous!!! Congrats, whoever you are, you lucky scallywag! xD

So, i decided to make a post, with this feedback, and some suggestions... I hope i am posting in the right place.

So my suggestion is to have the curse spread statically, from dynamic locations on each pirate's body... And this curse spreads incrementally each 1%, from.... let's say 1 gold, to 10 000 000 gold... with 10 000 000 gold making your character fully golden, in other words, 100%... Alternatively, you could cap the percantage at some point to avoid people becoming solid gold statues, should Rare find that too silly (which i doubt). xD

The curse would slowly recede the more money you spend, based on the values presented, only makes sense, right? The more gold you hoard, the more golden you become... The less gold you hoard, the less golden you become! Fits the theme of the greed curse of the Shores of Gold. :)

It would basically be a texture that slowly spreads across your body, based on how rich you are, i think that would be amazing... And i think many would agree.

However, given my character's gold curse is completely unique (not a match for ANY gold hoarder NPC's whatsoever), im unsure if this is already how the curse works, but given some players literally get NPC curses, i doubt it. Only 0.05% of the entire playerbase has this curse, so it makes sense that there arent a lot of examples to take information from. So it would be great if Rare could explain how this works!

I also know that Rare is gonna change something about this curse, but they haven't been clear on precisely what that means... Hence the concern, and the suggestion! ;)

That being said, if you got golden curse, show me your pirate! :O

EDIT: New information has been found!
    I have Humphrey the Hoarders curse, the old one, from BEFORE they updated the appearances of the gold hoarder NPC's.

Btw, the following picture is what Humphrey the Hoarder looks like CURRENTLY in the game. The Youtuber MixelPlx has this version of the curse, so i know Humphrey has ENTIRELY GOLDEN HANDS beneath those gloves. xD

Basically, the Gold Curse texture pool consists of ALL the old versions of the Gold Hoarders, as well as the ALL the new versions of the Gold Hoarders... There's a total of 7 Gold Hoarder NPC's.
    6 old + 7 new = 13 total gold curse appearances players can get.

I'm assuming the old versions have generally less gold on them than the new versions. Have fun getting RNG'd, guys! xD

Now we know how the curse works! Thanks SeaNethermore for helping me find this information! ;)

EDIT 2:

Curse was updated, here's my new curse appearance!
    https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/500657552292315157/581164052928004137/Gold_curse_update.png
    I got a golden foot, so i am a happy camper. xD
    Though now the question is, do we all look completely identical, or are there still curse variations? Did they just remove the 7 old versions? What exactly was the change? :O

FINAL EDIT:
    https://i.gyazo.com/d9a010813a67a16a71328df2bd06b03f.png
    Semi-hidden patch notes. -.-'

Curse is identical for everyone... That is a fix to a problem that never existed... I'm not unhappy about my new appearance, i love my golden foot, i am unhappy about how you chose to fix the problem, Rare. : /

I hope you will take my suggestion into consideration for the future. Over and out!

Views
  • @sweltering-nick

There is nothing worse than working hard to get something special and unique, only to get run over by the rng train of destruction. I think you should be able to choose between the gold hoarders faces when you first unlock it. Perhaps upon getting the commendation you have to go to duke and much like the gilded voyages you get to choose one of the 7 faces and bodies.

• @generalbuckfoi said in Gold Curse Feedback + Suggestion:

@sweltering-nick

There is nothing worse than working hard to get something special and unique, only to get run over by the rng train of destruction. I think you should be able to choose between the gold hoarders faces when you first unlock it. Perhaps upon getting the commendation you have to go to duke and much like the gilded voyages you get to choose one of the 7 faces and bodies.

Yeah, but thing is, i didnt get any gold hoarder whatsoever... i got a completely new curse not seen on any gold hoarder NPC's... im all for the uniqueness of my curse, i just wish i had more gold with it. xD

The best fix i see for this, is to have the amount of gold increase based on how rich you are. But yeah, becoming RNG roadkill isn't fun. :C

• @sweltering-nick So I get what youre saying. But also, I think your pirate looks really cool. It would be neat if the game had some sort of system in place that made the curses work more like a real curse. It would be even cooler if being cursed had some sore of negative affects too. Like if youre gold you need to keep a chest nearby, or if youre cursed with the souls, maybe you need to eat skulls to heal? I know these ideas aren't perfect, but I think something like this would make curses feel more like an actual curse.

• @geobiwan said in Gold Curse Feedback + Suggestion:

@sweltering-nick So I get what youre saying. But also, I think your pirate looks really cool. It would be neat if the game had some sort of system in place that made the curses work more like a real curse. It would be even cooler if being cursed had some sore of negative affects too. Like if youre gold you need to keep a chest nearby, or if youre cursed with the souls, maybe you need to eat skulls to heal? I know these ideas aren't perfect, but I think something like this would make curses feel more like an actual curse.

I think for the Gold Curse, if we're talking actual gameplay effect, i think 33% of attacks bounce off the golden parts as if they were solid armor plates, but if you try to swim in water, you sink like a solid lump of metal, and die instantly if you reach the bottom of the sea hitbox. xD

I sincerely doubt Rare will do this though, fair gameplay is one of their most important priorities with this game... Having 0.05% of players just be defensively superior in close quarters combat isnt fair to the remaining 99.95% of players. :P

I mean these gold curse players would be the meta choice for defending the ship while crewmates work the offensive and do voyages... And enemy players most likely don't have their own goldies, which means they will lose the fight.

• @sweltering-nick i said that already in some other posts about the gold curse...make it so the more money you have the more gold is on your body...so when you have like 5 million, or what you said 10 million that you are like a golden statue completely covered in gold...
    As it is now, that it's on every pirate different is also ok...but Joe Neate said in the dev update, they will make it so it looks on every pirate the same...hopefully not...before they do that they should leave it like it is now...

Don't have mine yet...but tomorrow or on wednesday I will finally have it...to whatever they change it, I still wonder how it will look now on my pirate

• @schwammlgott said in Gold Curse Feedback + Suggestion:

@sweltering-nick i said that already in some other posts about the gold curse...make it so the more money you have the more gold is on your body...so when you have like 5 million, or what you said 10 million that you are like a golden statue completely covered in gold...
    As it is now, that it's on every pirate different is also ok...but Joe Neate said in the dev update, they will make it so it looks on every pirate the same...hopefully not...before they do that they should leave it like it is now...

Don't have mine yet...but tomorrow or on wednesday I will finally have it...to whatever they change it, I still wonder how it will look now on my pirate

Good luck, matey! 'tis a perilous voyage.

• Dude, you got a golden middle finger, and a goldeneye (my left eye is glass).

If they ever make a certain taunt emote available, youd be so very cool.

• @barnabas-seadog said in Gold Curse Feedback + Suggestion:

Dude, you got a golden middle finger, and a goldeneye (my left eye is glass).

If they ever make a certain taunt emote available, youd be so very cool.

Sure, i guess...

Spoiler Alert, btw... All gold Curses give a golden right eye... I've yet to see one that doesn't do this... Kinda spooked by why they all give golden right eye, but never a golden left eye, and never 2 golden eyes. : /

Another spoiler alert, having ENTIRELY golden hands is better than merely 2 golden fingers on my right hand... Actually i'd be happy with just one golden hand, and one golden foot in addition to what i already have.

Yet another spoiler alert, i want MORE GOLD! xD

• And because sone are not satisfiable we need to get all the same curse and loose all the individuality?

I dont see anything is wrong with your curse or why it need to be more?!

• Plus wait for Curse redesign after next patch.

• @Sweltering-Nick
    https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/442422888553775105/579997302991618048/unknown.png

satisfied with mine, other cool curses i've seen

1. both arms completely gold with gold neck and chin.
    2. entire left side covered nothing on right
    3. 1 person i saw only had 2 tiny little spots on his chest looking like...(sot blocks the word n i p p l e s? really?)
  • I think you need to go back and check the NPC's because I've seen a couple NPC's with less than what you have.

I see it on your face your chest and your hand. There's one NPC that only has a little bit on his face and a couple of spots on his fingers.

• @voodoo-ic0n said in Gold Curse Feedback + Suggestion:

I think you need to go back and check the NPC's because I've seen a couple NPC's with less than what you have.

I see it on your face your chest and your hand. There's one NPC that only has a little bit on his face and a couple of spots on his fingers.

I've checked them all, several times... 0 matches.

• @bugaboo-bill said in Gold Curse Feedback + Suggestion:

And because sone are not satisfiable we need to get all the same curse and loose all the individuality?

I dont see anything is wrong with your curse or why it need to be more?!

Completely ignoring my suggestion, nice... Real classy, bro. :P

• @sweltering-nick

Lol I got screwed too.

Give us all a universal design for it, or give us a universal design AND provide choices,

But there simply isn't a scenario where leaving it as RNG is okay in the slightest... Glad they're changing it.

• I like your idea about increasing the curse surface depending on how much golds you have.
    It would create a new goal for theses PL who have alerady a lot of money.

• Looks pretty cool to me.....

The rng is fine just let us reroll by doing all 3 bosses or just the gold hoarder one again, or the pirate lord in the legend hideout can re roll the curse for you.

Saying they should make them all the same is like saying because an ice cream truck ran out of the ice cream you want and you can only get chocolate, that everyone else has to give back their flavors. Its ridiculous. A much better solution would be to re roll your ice cream rng at another vendor. Lol.

Though i do like the gold idea in the OP.

• @rakan-le-rouge that's terrible. If you have purchased everything in the game and just have loads of gold to the point where your character is just a gold statue, then you can't change the way it looks. The point of the curse is to have patches of gold on you, not be a full statue.

• @nagthenaggy said in Gold Curse Feedback + Suggestion:

@rakan-le-rouge that's terrible. If you have purchased everything in the game and just have loads of gold to the point where your character is just a gold statue, then you can't change the way it looks. The point of the curse is to have patches of gold on you, not be a full statue.

Well, it would be your personal choice to farm enough gold to become a golden statue... The point is to give players a choice in how they look, using an easy fix, that doesn't take away the uniqueness of the curse.

And again, i did mention that if rare should find it ridiculous to allow players to become fully golden, they can cap the percentages at some point... like cap it at 80%, meaning the curse wont cover more than 80% of your body... No matter how much gold above 10 000 000 you farm.

• @Sweltering-Nick You have Humphrey the Hoarder's curse.

• @seanethermore said in Gold Curse Feedback + Suggestion:

You have Humphrey the Hoarder's curse.

According to the wiki, this guy doesn't exist... That's not how Humphrey the Hoarder looks. o_o

This is Humphrey the Hoarder

• @sweltering-nick lol, that's hilarious! But wherever he is, that's what your curse is based on :P

• @seanethermore said in Gold Curse Feedback + Suggestion:

@sweltering-nick lol, that's hilarious! But wherever he is, that's what your curse is based on :P

Omg... i got a curse from the old version of SoT... No wonder it has so little gold on it!!! facepalm

They updated the NPC's at some point, and im getting shafted by the old versions, hahahaha!

Edit: Updated OP!

• @sweltering-nick Hmm interesting that you got a curse from an old NPC that is not in the game anymore. I also spent a lot of time to get all the commendations from the Tall Tale and after all of that, the curse I received was pretty bad, it has some of the face covered in gold, a golden scar going across the lips (which is pretty cool, not gonna lie about that, like all main characters from Assassin's Creed series have) 2 small areas of gold on the chest and a bit of gold on fingers... aaaand that's it. Nothing on the back or legs.

The guy that helped me do the last tale, he finished them as well, same day that I finished, and he got a heck ton of gold on his character, his right foot and arms are fully gold, he has a decent amount of gold on his chest, face and a bit on the back.

I know the redesign will come but it will be pretty boring if they made it that way that it will look the same for every character. I think the best way to change this is to keep what you have but expand the gold on arms and legs and maybe a bit more on the chest, abdomen areas for those people that have very little, no changes for those who already have a lot of gold on arms, legs, etc.

I really like the scar that my character has (and also how the gold is placed on his face), the only thing I'm bothered with is the low amount of gold on arms and chest. Legs are not in the picture anyway, so yeah..

• i wasnt very interested in the gold hoarders curse but upon finding out how long it takes to get and how exclusive it is at least for now, i gota get it haha. i do love my order of souls eyes tho and im assuming i cant have both active at the same time. still. i gota have it haha at least for braggin rights. and who knows maybe itll be cooler than i thought. i find the tall tales very fun regardless so should be fun

• @revanjstone Good luck! :)

• @sweltering-nick It looks like the new update brought the GH curse rework.

• @biostructr said in Gold Curse Feedback + Suggestion:

@sweltering-nick It looks like the new update brought the GH curse rework.

Is everyone looking the same now? If so then no one is special.

• @inboundbomb said in Gold Curse Feedback + Suggestion:

@biostructr said in Gold Curse Feedback + Suggestion:

yes everyone is the same now just the way RARE likes it

• @algaram said in Gold Curse Feedback + Suggestion:

@inboundbomb said in Gold Curse Feedback + Suggestion:

Too bad. I was hoping to be a little different.

• @algaram said in Gold Curse Feedback + Suggestion:

@inboundbomb said in Gold Curse Feedback + Suggestion:

Guess ill just have to do what i do whenever rare makes stupid decisions like this... go hardcore pvping and tall tale ruining for a few days instead of allying or caring at all about any other players intentions.

Just how rare designed and apparently likes it.

Jk (for now) but it sounds more fun than wasting my time earning a meaningless curse, that i was more than half way towards already........

• @sweltering-nick gold foot cut it off and sell it, nice mate I love it too

Views
1 out of 34