Can We Please Have New Shanties?

• I know that with this big new anniversary update not many people have been thinking about this, but I think it is about time to have some new shanties. When I first began to play Sea of Thieves, My crew and I would love playing shanties to celebrate finishing a voyage, sinking a ship, finishing a skeleton fort, etc. After a while it got repetitive and we have naturally stopped using the instruments. We got excited when the Hungering Deep was released and a new shanty was added to the game, it was our new favorite shanty and we would play it all the time, until it got repetitive. To get to the point, it would be nice to have MULTIPLE new shanties to play and make greater use of the instruments you have added into the game since launch. Maybe, you could find away to make a shanty store at outposts for players to purchase different shanties as they increase their rank in different trading companies. There are creative ways to implement new shanties into the game. A lot of players, especially players that have been playing this game since launch, will appreciate it if you add some new shanties to the game. Thank you.

P.S.
    Add the banjo

Views
  • Alright, been waiting for someone else to respond first but Can’t hold back any longer.

I play solo, period. I play shanties alone a lot, I like the songs to choose from but there’s only so many times I can listen to the same tunes. I switch it up and whistle some but the gurdy is my go to. I love the idea of new songs, and support this post!!

• When I returned for the big update I was surprised that the shanties and instruments were the exact same. I cant bring myself to even play music now because I'm sick of the same songs. Also, still no Banjo?

I think the current shanties should be wiped and replaced with new ones to get people playing music again.

• Agreed! Its been the same songs for as long as ive played (from way back in og pioneer) and I hate myself for playing them now, let alone when you get stuck in a loop of the same 2 playing after each other.

Pretty sure theres plenty of public domain sea shanties out there, we need a large update of songs, theres like 6, should be triple that.

• This has been brought up before and the answer has always been that it's a memory issue.

All the audio for the shanties are loaded into memory so they're instantly available for playing and switching to another one is seamless. And memory is pretty much used up by the rest of the game and the game is limited by the weakest platform - the original Xbox One (which has only 8GB of RAM).

Adding just one song means adding multiple audio tracks for each instrument - solo versions and harmonies. And adding a new instrument means adding tracks for it to all the existing shanties as well.

Basically, with high quality audio, it takes up more memory than you'd think.

• @realstyli though I didn’t know this and have never really looked into it that is a pretty clear answer.

Considering that info, perhaps retiring shanties and replacing them is a happy medium? We could vote on the least liked and replace one ever month or two. Then again, that would be man hours spent on this versus other elements.

• I agree. I have heard that there is a technical issue with adding more shanties. I bet there is a way to work around this issue that may not be so obvious.

• @aprovoked-mango said in Can We Please Have New Shanties?:

Agreed! Its been the same songs for as long as ive played (from way back in og pioneer) and I hate myself for playing them now, let alone when you get stuck in a loop of the same 2 playing after each other.

Pretty sure theres plenty of public domain sea shanties out there, we need a large update of songs, theres like 6, should be triple that.

They have plenty of their own they can use if there isnt any more public domain tunes. Unused music from Dream, Treasure Trove Cove, Jolly Roger's Lagoon, Zombie Pirate Battle (grabbed by the ghoulies) and I think Kameo has a pirate level.

• @realstyli said in Can We Please Have New Shanties?:

This has been brought up before and the answer has always been that it's a memory issue.

All the audio for the shanties are loaded into memory so they're instantly available for playing and switching to another one is seamless. And memory is pretty much used up by the rest of the game and the game is limited by the weakest platform - the original Xbox One (which has only 8GB of RAM).

Adding just one song means adding multiple audio tracks for each instrument - solo versions and harmonies. And adding a new instrument means adding tracks for it to all the existing shanties as well.

Basically, with high quality audio, it takes up more memory than you'd think.

In that case, like I said previously, they could maybe just wipe the current tracks and replace them?

• They already said the problem lying in how the game and shanties use memory. They'r trying to rework how instruments work to avoid this.

For me, a momentary solution could be put news shanties in rotation, so you can change half of them every months and keep things fresh

• Or any real shanties? We got Happy Birthday before we got any actual real life shanties in this pirate game...

• Please refrain from resurrecting old threads, as it is against the community guidelines. If you do not see any more recent threads on a topic you would like to discuss, you are welcome to create a new one yourself.

Views
11 out of 12