Fishing record/xp issue

• So today my brother and i set out to try and set a record for the most fish on the boat at one time. Since there was no way to look up the record we set 300 as a nice round number and filled that up. I was wondering if rare could confirm or deny if thats the record for most at once but more importantly I notice an issue. i turned in 300 fish and only went up exactly one level in the hunters call from level 21 to level 22 at right about the 10 o clock mark. This seems like a bit of an undercut considering it took about 7 hrs to complete. It may be time for a rework of the xp system in the hunters call faction unless it was intended to be that hard. Either way I'm gunna grind it to 50 but at this rate it seems like that will take longer than it did to originally reach pirate legend. As you can tell i love the fishing i just feel like the xp should be a little more rewarding. The money system is fine, i earned about 21k gold so that is 100% worth the effort. Have any of you had more than 300 fish in your barrel at a time and how do you guys feel about the Hunter's call experience rewards?

Views
  • They need to rig the npc aswell as the rng for catching fish in certain areas better, so that if you had sailed around giving the right specific fish that specific npc want at specific times of day or day/week of the month, it would give better rep and gold, and then whether they want them raw or cooked, how many before the bonus and price goes back down, etc etc.

That way you could have gone up like 5 lvls or more for your efforts if done right, and this provides opportunity for alliances and trading to maximize profits.

Things like the region based fish being more valuable in other regions, and then different color splashtails pondies and islehoppers being more valuable based on rng, so that talking to npc and exploring and gaining knowledge gives you actionable intel, and then trade routes could be incepted to minimize sailing distance and maximize profits.

“We learned that ruby splashtails and moon pondies are high value to derrick and so are wildsplashes for another 12 ingame days (because hes in the ancient isle seapost, for the sake of this example i forget where really lol) and ancientscales are worth more in the wilds and so are sunny splashtails and any islehoppers, so one or more crews fish in each region and meet periodically to trade fish that allow each to have a majority of higher value fish for their respective seapost, with the least sailing involved in acquiring that best case scenario sale.

For things to be this much of a grind now makes me hope they have things like this planned.

We need to use that watch and day of the month and week for more than the poorly designed merchant quests. We need the game and its activity to facilitate us being the pirates and merchants we want to be as was described above. Not errand boys like the other quests. All those commodity items should be repurposed and worked into the game with, well, actual purpose, with different rarity harvest nodes and different uses such as basic cause and effect crafting and resupply and utility purposes. Crates of cloth actually being used to repair damaged sails, ancient bone dust or tea or spices being usable for cooking or hunting etc etc.

• @kingxkoolxaid 21k for 7 hours of effort isn't a great reward. You can get that from a completing a skelly fort, which has taken me about 30 minutes to an hour with a friend helping out

If you turned in 300 fish and you only went up 1 level - you was robbed, in my humble opinion

• @a-cranky-eskimo it would definitely be cool if there was ways to actively hunt the specific rare fishes for sure. The majority of the fishing was done in devils ridge pond and out of the about 260 pondies only 2 were bright. So on top of the pondies i have already caught i need to grind until i luckily get one more bright so i definitely feel you on that one.

• @wildbloodoz youre 100% right about both things. I just meant for fishing specifically not for the game. You could definitely make more in 7 hrs but for 7 hrs of fishing that makes sense to me if you get what I'm saying. And I agree that 300 fish should definitely get more than one level up. Maybe they wanted it to be that hard but it seems like they underestimated how long it would take to grind it out

• @kingxkoolxaid 300 fish? 1 lvl? Did you fish ruby splashtails only or what? You have to get rarer fish than splashtails...they are worth close to nothing...

• @kingxkoolxaid

Caught this at hidden spring keep.

90 fish
    23 of them trophies
    2 fish bones
    1 old skull
    0 bright pondies although I did catch 2 there the next day

Took about two hours I think and I would have stayed for another half an hour or so but a sloop started heading my way. So I left and turned in before he spotted me since I needed to go soon anyway.

I don't remember how much it all sold for or exactly how much rep I earned but it was insignificant.

I had a couple thoughts on if this was intentional. Maybe like stated before, we are missing some form of voyage or trade mechanic that would increase cost and rep significantly. Maybe they don't want to release hunter voyages since they already said voyages are getting an overhaul. Why make hunter voyages like the ones we have now and simultaneously work on a newer form of voyage for all factions? If the changes are really that drastic.

My other thought was simply they made it less rewarding to keep people from earning 50 so quickly, or even perhaps they felt it was fast enough. The journey to legend used to be a lot longer and I feel they changed that because of feedback from players, at least to some degree.

• I recommend using mermaid gems with the hunters call. they help out quite a bit. I also recommend trying to kill megs as often as possible, krakens too if they pop up. the meg and kraken meat give a decent chunk of rep and of course trying to catch the rarest fish possible. over all tho it is definitely a grind to level up the hunters call but fishing is fun so it doesn't feel like a terrible grind.

• My crew has caught more than 300 fish in one sitting but not on the boat at once. I think it was around 200/250 before we turned in, then another 150 or so the second time.

We were cheesing the Pondies at Hidden Springs to get all the grade five commendations. Then sailed around in a storms and hit some ship wrecks before harpooning to Skelly ship for Battlegils. I wanna say it took us a good five hours of non stop fishing.

The money was good because we had gotten lucky with a lot of Rares. But the xp was garbage for sure. My crew mates that were already in the high teens low twenties only got maybe a level or two. I went from 11-18 witch wasn’t bad but since then 18/19 and on has been absolutely brutal.

Really hoping Rare can work on the grind a good bit.

• @oroku it's been two weeks now since the update launched...seems like you people expect to be 50 in that time...I'm 31 now and it goes slow, yes, but I'm fine with that

You can fish everywhere and at any time, with less risk, because you don't need to leave the ship...

• @kingxkoolxaid question one: what types of fish did you have because if they where all splashtails then i can understand the low rep gain

Question two: did you cook all the fish to a nice crisp golden brown state ? If not you will only get halve their value in gold AND rep

• @callmebackdraft about 275 were pondies and maybe only 10 were splashtails. I know the splashtails are worth next to nothing thats why i went with the londies as they are worth a little more. I didnt take the time to cook it because catching them took long enough but i know that wouldve helped a bit. I know they only add 50% to the amount of gold though in stead of doubling. But even if the xp was doubled 2 levels for 300 fish seems unfair. If i grinded out gold hoarder voyages for 7 hours id go up a full level even in the 40s. I know its definitely doable it just seems like it will take longer than they expected

• @schwammlgott i agree no one should be level 50 but if someone only fishes for 7 hrs straight it should be worth a little more than one level im saying. At this rate ill need to fish for 154 more hours before reaching level 50. I dont even think it took me that long to reach legend in the first place is what im saying. It should be hard and a grind but seems like it shouldnt be this much of a grind is all i meant

• @oroku okay yeah that makes sense. At about 150 we had to leave are island and sail to another and then after about another 40 we had to switch again. The hardest part of having that many at once is definitely the risk of other crews. Were you on a galleon though? We did this on a sloop not that it makes much difference it just would make sense why it took you so much less time.

• @biasedcarton824 i honestly completely forgot about mermaid gems giving experience since ive been legend so long. That makes sense though from now on every gem goes to the hunters call. I already have grade 5 hunter of hungering one though so i definitely know the value of the meg meat. And as far as krakens i havd 12 meat turned in but you cant exactly hunt for them. Like i said though i forgog about mermaid gems and that might really change everything

• @schwammlgott only maybe 10 were splashtails. Almost all them were pondies since they are worth a little more and faster to catch

• @testakleze wow im honestly amazed at like the rare stuff you pulled up. In 7 hrs we got 6 pieces of treacherous loot. Almost 100 were trophys but still that much loot is impressive. But the rare color fish is the other thing thats super discouragin with the current state. Out of all about 260 pondies only 2 were bright pondies

• @callmebackdraft sagte in Fishing record/xp issue:

@kingxkoolxaid question one: what types of fish did you have because if they where all splashtails then i can understand the low rep gain

Question two: did you cook all the fish to a nice crisp golden brown state ? If not you will only get halve their value in gold AND rep

No, it's less than half of it when not cooked...it increases maybe 25%

• @schwammlgott I’ve already argued all my points about the Hunters Call on a few threads now. So I’ll save everyone a ten page post.

I don’t think people should be hitting level 50 out of the gate or anything. I also don’t have any real issues with the fishing it’s self, or even the prices. But as I would imagine you yourself know, since you’re level 30 something. The grind for the Hunters Call as a company hits hard and it hits hard fast.

The other companies didn’t hit that slog until the high 30s except for Merchant. Which is why Rare has made so many changes to Merchant to help that. All the other companies also have multiple ways of leveling up, like Skull Forts and Skeleton Ships but for now Fishing pretty much just has Fishing. The other companies also offer better rewards as you level up that Hunters Call doesn’t.

What ever everyone’s argument is about that’s there’s no risk, or it’s super easy, or what ever it is (like I said, I’ve covered all that on other posts) I think most people can agree that the grind for rep hits like a brick once you get up to about level 18/19

If you don’t mind it as much that’s great for you, for some of us it’s bit too much.

• @kingxkoolxaid said in Fishing record/xp issue:

@oroku okay yeah that makes sense. At about 150 we had to leave are island and sail to another and then after about another 40 we had to switch again. The hardest part of having that many at once is definitely the risk of other crews. Were you on a galleon though? We did this on a sloop not that it makes much difference it just would make sense why it took you so much less time.

Yeah we were on a full galleon. Most of the time tree people would be fishing while one cooks but all four of us would fish at night for the moon variations.

And I feel you on the worry about turning them in. People will say theirs no risk, but other players can attack at any time and potentially sink you, especially if you’re just chilling at an island. I had a trophy Snow Wrecker and was nervous about even cooking it Incase something happened and I lost it. Lol

One thing that was crazy fun and I highly recommend. Is if you harpoon to the back of a skelly ship and pull them close, you can fish for Battlegils while the Skelly ship just drags you around in circles. It was an absolute blast.

• @oroku ive been trying to think of the best way to farm the battlegills and that sounds like the way to do it. I've been doing it at forts mostly but of course u have to find an empty, active fort for that. I'll definitely give that harpoon trick a try though. The harpoon in general i have kinda taken for granted and dont use it much at all and i need to change that.

• @kingxkoolxaid i turned a mermaid gem earlier and it did give me a lot more xp than expected. About a quarter of a level from a sapphire gem. So maybe there intention was for the fishing to be very low rewards in general which kinda plays into the Hunter's call not being a full trading company. They cant even give you a good way to earn money. So maybe the intention is to give more attention to mermaid statues and/or add to the lore of the hunters call. Its definitely not a gamechanging issue either way i just wanted some others opinions and i have definitely gotten a lot of those

Views
1 out of 22