PVP is great, but i think it miss something, specially now with Arena.

• Hi everyone !

I'm playing SoT since the alpha and i really love this game. I played through nearly all the updates, and the Anniversary one was the one I was SO HYPED for. I love the PVP in this game (in every games, really) and OH BOI Arena !
    I really love the idea of this game mode (finally playing against some crew who wants to fight and will not flee ! YAAARRRR !) but i think it missed something... I'll try to explain my feeling on the actual state of the Arena and maybe just the actual state of the PVP in the game.

Arena is a really, really great game mode idea for PVP lovers as i said, specially with all the things added in the anniversary update (Harpoons, health regen and basically "ship destruction").
    The PVP when it comes to ship vs ship is now a lot more interesting than before (and this both in the Arena or in Adventure), you don't just spam the enemy ship, you can now aim special points to hit critical parts of the ships and IT'S AWESOME. Really, it's way more fun than it was before the update and way more "tactical" too. GJ and thanks Rare team for this !

But when it comes to "Pirate vs Pirate"... It's not really the same feeling and this is where i think SoT missed something.
    The sword fight works really nicely in PVE with skeletons and other weapons deals a reasonable amount of damages, but (without talking of the server lags and of the PC vs XBOX fight) I think the sword moveset should be more "complete" to be really enjoyable in PVP.

I'll try to explain this point :
    You have only two "basic attacks" with the sword : "The 3 hits combo" and the "Sword Dash", if someone in front of you is parrying, you can only sword dash to break it (even if you can parry and then charge the sword dash to keep some move speed) and I think players need more options to make something that feel less "empty" when it comes to melee combat. (And wouldn't it be great to be able to make some "Epic swords duels" instead of two drunken pirates swinging swords in all the directions ?)

At the moment PVP when it comes to "Pirate vs Pirate" usually happens like that :

• Running with a gun trying to make maximum damages and then swinging the sword with left clic.
    • Trying to sword dash and then switch to ANY gun to end the life of your opponent.
      And sadly that's all for a majority of players. (And I don't blame them, I do this too a lot of the time, it works nearly... everytime... And the "Blunderbuss" still One Shot a lot of the time BTW if you're close enough and aiming)

This is why i think the "Pirate vs Pirate" should be reworked a bit (I'm not talking about a "complex" system like Chivalry / War of the Roses or even Mordhau) but at least a more "complete" one.
    I didn't really thougt of a lot of exemples to resolve this (expecting mechanics that already exists on the games I mentioned before) but maybe a single faster attack (or new weapon like a dagger or something elese?) that stun or bump or make a DoT ? Or a quicker parry that doesn't allow the player to block all the time and just on timings ?

One other thing to make Arena more enjoyable for everyone : Please make a "ranked" matchmaking, it isn't really fun or even fair to play against crews of players who only played for few days and doesn't really know "how the game works" or playing with a premade crew vs "all random" crews that usually don't even talk to each other during the all game.
    In all the Arenas i made for now (75+) : my crew was at least first or second everytime with 10k+ golds, one other crew was nearly at the same amount of golds and finally the lasts one or two poor crews (who had not already left the game) weren't able to even reach 1k without sinking... I'm not saying "WE R 2 STRONK LELZ" but I think at the current state Arena isn't fair at all for anyone and it usually end in some kind of wierd 1 crew vs 1 crew with others just "spectating" the fights / leaving. (And XBOX vs PC doesn't really make it better at all sadly, i don't want to troll or anything like that but i think other peoples on PC will agree with me : when you encounter an XBOX player, 9/10 times just get in his back and it's a win...)

So here is all i had to say. Sorry for my bad english guys, I hope everyone can understand what I wanted to say.
    And again thanks and GJ Rare team for the anniversary update ! (and all the others btw) The game is more and more fun patch after patch, it's awesome to see all the changes you made to the game since the begining !

Views
  • Agreed, the PC peeps have clear advantages vs Xbox. I think it would be nice to add more moves for sword fighting but my concern is sometimes when Rare tries to add things they just make the game more clunky. Sea of Clunkyness is what I usually think of when I play this game. A good example is Barrels 2.0, the previous barrel system was so soooooo smooth, just walk by and spam X button if you had space in your inventory to pick up things while running by. Also, why in the heck in the Arena do we have to goto the silly Tavern, why not give load us directly into the game and give us an option to goto the Tavern separately? I guess this game has made my distaste for loading screens so high that I look for ways to avoid them so whenever I complete a match and it puts me into the Tavern I pretty much always server jump and due to how there's always people who quit out in Arena I almost always on the first try get into a live game that sometimes is almost over which makes for gaining quick reputation fast!

Views
1 out of 2