The Shores of Gold Curse Requirements: (Edited)

This post is deleted!

No pain, no gain.

I think what you are saying here is absolutely correct, I've really enjoyed the tall tales, but I am mostly a solo player I enjoy experiencing the content on my own. I think the gold hoarder curse is very cool, but I do agree with the grind being too much. Maybe lowing the number of times you have to play the tall tale down to 3 would be nice.

@nagthenaggy

Sea of Thieves community: complains there's not enough to do

Also Sea of Thieves community: complains there's too much to do

Okay I'm just kidding, but here's the thing: I think the idea of completing this 5 times to unlock the Shores of Gold curse is a good way to keep people wanting to come back to this set of Tall Tales to experience them with someone who hasn't experienced it yet.

You could look at it 2 ways. You could look at it as a grind, simply a means to get your new cosmetic and you will be miserable with it... or you could look at it as a way to continue working towards a goal while helping Tall Tale first timers experience it for the first time.

Again, Sea of Thieves is a multiplayer experience and it is enriched by playing with others. I think this repetitive commendation is centric to that idea. If you exclusively play solo, then yeah it'll probably get old after the second or third time.

You should try getting out of your box and experiencing it with others.

@chronodusk doing the same thing isn't too much to do, it is the same thing just 5 times. If it were different challenges, like playing through all of them without dying, then that would be more to do. Doing something 5 times isn't content

@nagthenaggy I understand what you're saying. I do, and I agree that it does not take much creativity or effort to tell players to go out and complete something 5 times. I get that. I just think it's about the perspective you take on it though.

Perspective 1: "I've done my Tall Tales and I just want the Shores of Gold curse now. Ugh I have to grind these out 4 more times on my sloop by myself!"

Perspective 2: "I've done my Tall Tales, but I've met some friends on Discord who haven't done them yet. I'll go and experience this story with them as they go through it for the first time, and I'll get to make progress toward my legendary commendations too!"

What I'm saying is, I think the commendation is intentionally designed for players to look at it from Perspective #2. If you just look at it as a grind you'll be miserable. But if you look at it as a chance to experience it with different groups of people you'll enjoy it a lot more. That's just my take on it anyway.

Also, there are going to be plenty of people coming into the game brand new wanting to experience Tall Tales. Rare always needs to give reasons for veteran players to keep doing things with newer players.

Does this concept work well for players who want to exclusively play solo? Not at all. But again, Sea of Thieves is designed for multiplayer, not single player.

I agree. I love some of the stuff you can unlock and the curses are awesome, but it's such a grind. My main issue with the Tall Tales is that they take up some time and you don't always have a lot of time. On top of that, if another player decides to camp at the destination island or outpost, your chances of completing it (on time) become really slim. I finished 2 Tall Tales already, and I'm a little disappointed that I need to play them 4 (8) more times.

@nagthenaggy @Chronodusk

chronodusk is exactly right about this being a way to help others who want a crew to do these tales but dont necessarily have friends on or at all in the game. this was a real problem in the past for the hungering deep and cursed sails. if you didnt do it in the first week no one was gona be interested in helping out. granted these tales you can do more reasonably on your own but everything is more fun together and if an open crewmate wants to do some youll game a bit of gold and some legendary commendations.

and i could be wrong but i dont think you have to do ALL of them five times to get the gold hoarder curse do you? i havent gotten that far but i did the second mission five times for the order of souls curse and i didnt do any other tale 5 times to get it.

Although I know the feeling as referenced in the LoTR comment, it does make it more worth it and makes it more valuable. It is like recon armor in Halo 3, you had to do VidMasters to acquire it and it became a bragging right kind of armor. Similarly the curses are bragging right items. I do however believe there should be some additional curses including Merfolk (darker/bluish skin with scales forming), Skeletal (skeleton player frame with the clothing and hair choice), Golden Skeletal (self explanatory), Ghost (perhaps obtained through unique deaths).

@sargent-sully said in The Shores of Gold Curse Requirements: (Edited):

Although I know the feeling as referenced in the LoTR comment, it does make it more worth it and makes it more valuable. It is like recon armor in Halo 3, you had to do VidMasters to acquire it and it became a bragging right kind of armor. Similarly the curses are bragging right items. I do however believe there should be some additional curses including Merfolk (darker/bluish skin with scales forming), Skeletal (skeleton player frame with the clothing and hair choice), Golden Skeletal (self explanatory), Ghost (perhaps obtained through unique deaths).

My thoughts are that subsequent tall tales will be focused around different trading companies and groups of npc, thereby giving the opportunity to earn their curses.

@sargent-sully im sure they will add more. i can see them adding the pirate legend ghost eyes, the devils roar red eyes, the mermaid one you said sounds awesome. they already have a bug that makes us skeletons so i dont see why not have that haha. and surely there are more inventive things to come. its got a whole tab to itself would be a shame for there to be just two things in it. maybe the merchant alliance 'curse' is bad eyesight and you can wear glasses haha.

@revanjstone Plus in general it would be nice if the Ferryman reacted to us differently based upon our active curse. If goldhoarders, he would comment on us likely pocketing some of the Gold Hoarder's treasure. If OoS he would say that he didn't realize they were accepting new members, that or that our makeup is running. If the Merfolk curse, he would make a pun about something seeming a bit fishy. If the Skeleton curse he would quip about it seeming like we took a dip in the Sea of the Damned (as that was once a given lore reason as to how one can become a skeleton). You get the idea, just that touch of immersion would be nice.

@sargent-sully a very cool detail to add.