Video Driver crashed and was reset! Make sure your video drivers are up to date. Exiting...

• Hello fellow friends ! I recently have this new problem that prevents me to play the game. As I know, some people encounters it too. So I decided to post this thread to gather informations, hoping it can help someone.

I love the game. I actually played it for at least 40 hours without expecting any crashes, in rare quality with constant 60 fps. It worked perfectly. I installed the game after formating my computer and played it for a whole day the 04/05/2019 with the anniversary update with the same configuration without crashes. The 05/05/2019, I wanted to play again and that's where the hell began.
    I can launch the game but not for long, shortly after i got a huge freeze, with the message "Video Driver crashed and whas reset ! Make sure your video drivers are up to date. Exiting..."

I'm not afraid to do some operation on my computer and this is what I did for a whole day the 05/05/2019. Here is a list of what I did :

-upgraded my GPU driver.
    -uninstalled the windows update that installed in the night of the 05/05/2019, hoping the bug came from here.
    -turned my graphic settings to the worst quality
    -sfc/scannow
    -every step that were proposed by your team in the recent FAQ updates
    -changed the language to English (united states)

• rollback to a previous windows version, at the date of the 01/05/2019, before the bug happened
    • uninstalled and reinstalled the game. 2 times.
    • corrected registery errors with Avg pc tuneup
    • added SoT to the exceptions of my antivirus
    • downgraded my GPU to a version where it worked perfectly well

Maybe i forgot one or two step, but I did so much stuff !

I submitted a bug report to Rare with informations that I grabed in the windows event wiever and my configuration I obtained with a DxDiag.

here is a sample of my config :

Machine name: DESKTOP-DPDUAL5
         Operating System: Windows 10 Famille 64-bit (10.0, Build 17763) (17763.rs5_release.180914-1434)
                 Language: French (Regional Setting: French)
      System Manufacturer: Alienware
             System Model: Alienware 17
                     BIOS: A15 (type: UEFI)
                Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4910MQ CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.9GHz
                   Memory: 32768MB RAM
      Available OS Memory: 32650MB RAM
                Page File: 8962MB used, 28550MB available
              Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
          DirectX Version: DirectX 12
      DX Setup Parameters: Not found
         User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
       System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
          DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
                 Miracast: Available, with HDCP          ;     GPU : GeForce GTX 880M

I thank you in advance, and I hope we'll find some clues to help people. I'll let you know every feedback I'll gather with Rare support.

Views
  • @ayano-mitsushi Did the update reset your NVidia graphics settings such that the game is trying to use your integrated GPU instead of your dedicated one?

• @entspeak No it doesn't, I verified and forced the " NVIDIA high-performance processor" (I'm sorry I probably translate it badly) on every programs and specifically on Sea of Thieves. Is that what you talked about ? :)

• @ayano-mitsushi I think so. I just know that you have to select it in the NVidia control panel.

• @entspeak Yes ! So that's it.

• Ok, I post for some feedbacks after the last update. I hoped it changed a thing but it didn't, and my bug report was classified as solved without any explanation. I updated it to say that nothing changed with the update, but it was classified as solved without any kind of message this time. Hm... Thanks for the help.

As I have the feeling that the assistance will not help me, I pushed my tests further.
    I've seen that the automatic overcloacking of graphic cards caused by video driver could be at the source, also with strange battery alimentation problems. SO, I tried to flash my BIOS to his last update (hoping that it will upgrade the VBIOS of my graphic card), undercloacked the GPU of my graphic card strongly (from 2500 MHZ to 2000 MHZ, was unable to lower it more), and I even installed a fonctional battery on my laptop (Yes, I really want to resolve this ****).

I launched the game with the worst settings and took the sea. I was able to pick up a chest before it crashed as before, after 15 minutes of play. This is the longest session I was able to do since the problem began to happened.

Even if I know that 90% of computers problems are situated between the pc and the seat, I'm positively conviced that the problem comes from them. Or was I lucky for more than 40 hours, with my rare quality settings and 0 crashes ? Jeez, I should play lottery more.

I, personnaly, have no clues left. I you guys have other ideas that I forgot, you're welcome. I just want to find a solution, and I'm getting tired to have to search for hours for solutions on forums, to run a game that worked perfectly well before.

• Hello,

To answer a problem, I myself was confronted with that.
    You must install the older version of AMD software for your 19.7.1 graphics card instead of the latest update 19.7.2

I hope I helped you

• My advice, uninstall the nvidia drivers, ALL of them. Then reboot the PC directly behind it, and then install it again. This should reset the drivers completely, upgrading/downgrading keeps the settings.

• I have the same issue please someone i need help i cant find nothing to fix my problem i tryied everything from every post i have found but nothing can fix my problem....

• @captain-zyce Resurrecting old threads...

Hey there, please note that resurrecting very old threads is not permitted. Please refrain from adding posts to threads older than 1 month old as this is considered necroing.

A warning will be issued and the thread locked. Ignoring the warning will result in a temporary ban from the Forums and a final warning. If the action continues, a permanent ban from the Forums will be issued.

Views
7 out of 11