Turning off crossplay

Since this is the update that has now brought Arena to Sea of Thieves, I've been look all over in the settings to turn off crossplay but I don't see an option anywhere. Unless it is there & I'm blind but I don't see the option to turn it off if it is there or not.

I have opened a request with support asking this very question. They are trying to be very quiet about it which probably means they changed their mind and dont plan to implement it. So basically they lied about their player base being healthy enough to support it, or they just plan to ignore it and never bring the issue up again.

Theyve said in one of the development videos that they discovered that implementing it is much harder then they thought, are continuing with it but wont make it before anniversary is released

Making crossplay optional will kill this game. The servers will be dead. I cannot believe people support dividing the player base. Encounters with other ships are infrequent enough as it is.

@celestron90 said in Turning off crossplay:

Making crossplay optional will kill this game. The servers will be dead. I cannot believe people support dividing the player base. Encounters with other ships are infrequent enough as it is.

In Arena mode there's lots and lots of ships so that would at least be a great place to start offering the opt out option because it's just not balanced with PC users having quicker load times, able to cheat using macros, quicker and more precise aiming using Mouse/Keyboard, and over all more options.

@celestron90

Lol, stop it. If the game is already that rough then it doesn't matter anyways. I know of many who quit this game because crossplay isint optional. I cant believe it's taken them over a year to acknowledge this most requested feature.

@lm-robin-hood said in Turning off crossplay:

@celestron90

Lol, stop it. If the game is already that rough then it doesn't matter anyways. I know of many who quit this game because crossplay isint optional. I cant believe it's taken them over a year to acknowledge this most requested feature.

You want to divide half the player base... Don't even begin to pretend it won't do just that. The segregation option is a BAD idea and Rare knows it. That's why it's not been implemented. But hey if you like dead servers then this'll be the game for you when they add that.

... That being said I think it'd be okay if the option was arena only.

@celestron90

Yeah, spot on. Make it an optional choice for arena but lets keep the advantage over console/controller players in the main game where we can carry on to feel like god's.

@needsmokes said in Turning off crossplay:

@celestron90

Yeah, spot on. Make it an optional choice for arena but lets keep the advantage over console/controller players in the main game where we can carry on to feel like god's.

People have to not be selfish and live with that advantage/disadvantage. Because the crossplay is the life blood of the server populace right now. It's crucial to the game and is worth getting rolled by the occasional sweaty PC players.

Maybe one day when the average player base doubles or tripples THEN we can talk about crossplay option. But until then it's a bad idea that'll run both the game and it's community into the ground. Rare knows it. That's why it's not been implemented.

@celestron90 I support it

To be honest lets just see how it goes
    Of course People are gona complain about it but why dont give it a Chance
    So please Rare just follow your heart

And only One of you gave an answer to this Post
    NO its not in yet

@celestron90 Look I was a PC gamer and I switched to console. I never thought "wouldn't it be cool to play with PC people in a competitive environment". In any scenario I had considered cross-play being fun.... it was xbox vs playstation never against pc, lol.

There's less ships then I have fingers in a server, if the argument to keep PC players so that the game has a healthy population size 12 months after release, then the game is dead anyways. But if they continue to force console/pc crossplay, I'm done with Microsoft.

@celestron90 actually I dont ever remember buying an xbox one to play with pc players if i wanted to play with pc I would have bought a pc

@celestron90 Look I was a PC gamer and I switched to console. I never thought "wouldn't it be cool to play with PC people in a competitive environment". In any scenario I had considered cross-play being fun.... it was xbox vs playstation never against pc, lol.

There's less ships then I have fingers in a server, if the argument to keep PC players so that the game has a healthy population size 12 months after release, then the game is dead anyways. But if they continue to force console/pc crossplay, I'm done with Microsoft.

The population isn't healthy enough to support segregation. Call it dead. Or don't. Either way it doesn't change that fact. But a cross play toggle will definitively kill this game if implemented in its present state. It'll do WAY more harm then good both with game population and the community itself.

@blatantwalk4260 said in Turning off crossplay:

@celestron90 actually I dont ever remember buying an xbox one to play with pc players if i wanted to play with pc I would have bought a pc

Then you bought the wrong game.

@celestron90
    Look at it like this...
    Rare can implement crossplay options and pc players will have pc servers with a sprinkle of Xbox players, or...
    Rare can continue to force crossplay, keep bleeding Xbox players, and pc players will have pc servers with a sprinkle of Xbox players. Guess which one makes more money?

If the game/servers are as dead as you just said, maybe rare are trying to salvage something by boosting Xbox numbers?

Scratch that, rare already debunked your empty servers myth.

@pomalotacusmk3 said in Turning off crossplay:

@celestron90
    Look at it like this...
    Rare can implement crossplay options and pc players will have pc servers with a sprinkle of Xbox players, or...
    Rare can continue to force crossplay, keep bleeding Xbox players, and pc players will have pc servers with a sprinkle of Xbox players. Guess which one makes more money?

If the game/servers are as dead as you just said, maybe rare are trying to salvage something by boosting Xbox numbers?

Scratch that, rare already debunked your empty servers myth.

Did I say they're dead? I don't think I did. I did say they will BE dead if crossplay toggle is implemented at the present time. Only Rare has the numbers. The only fathomable reason such a toggle option hasn't been done is because they know the population isn't healthy enough to support it. And/Or it's a coding nightmare. Which again will do more harm then good. I'd rather Rare concentrate on fixing bugs and adding more content. Give it another year. Maybe the population increases and such efforts for a crossplay option can be justified.

Sorry i said 'dead'. You said 'infrequent', my bad. Rare already debunked your empty servers myth.

Sorry i said 'dead'. You said 'infrequent', my bad. Rare already debunked your empty servers myth.

Infrequent means dead?

The population isn't healthy enough to support segregation. Call it dead. Or don't. Either way it doesn't change that fact. But a cross play toggle will definitively kill this game if implemented in its present state. It'll do WAY more harm then good both with game population and the community itself.

Sorry i said 'dead'. You described the population as 'unhealthy', my bad. Rare already debunked epty server myth.

Sorry i said 'dead'. You described the population as 'unhealthy', my bad. Rare already debunked epty server myth.

Who's saying the servers are empty for it to be a myth?

Sorry i said dead...oh wait, that was your suggestion, my bad. Rare said it was proving difficult to implement and was taking longer than expected to get it working. They debunked empty server myths already.

Sorry i said dead...oh wait, that was your suggestion, my bad. Rare said it was proving difficult to implement and was taking longer than expected to get it working. They debunked empty server myths already.

No. Never said they're dead. Is that what it takes to push this narrative? Completely warping words?

@celestron90
    Sure, whatever dude.
    You posted multiple times, each time hinting that the playerbase couldnt support separation. You use words like 'unhealthy, infrequent, call it dead. Or dont'.

Rare already pointed out that your fears are unfounded when they addressed the whole community a couple of months ago. So yeah, the whole 'crossplay options will kill the game/dead servers lie has already been debunked by rare. It's a myth.

@celestron90
    Sure, whatever dude.
    You posted multiple times, each time hinting that the playerbase couldnt support separation. You use words like 'unhealthy, infrequent, call it dead. Or dont'.

Rare already pointed out that your fears are unfounded when they addressed the whole community a couple of months ago. So yeah, the whole 'crossplay options will kill the game/dead servers lie has already been debunked by rare. It's a myth.

Unhealthy is not dead. Are you serious? How could it be debunked if the feature that's not implemented yet?

@celestron90
    Are you deliberately ignoring the body of my post or is it accidental?

You are suggesting that crossplay options will kill the game, correct?

This was a concern raised months ago. Rare addressed it. You are fake news.

@celestron90
    Are you deliberately ignoring the body of my post or is it accidental?

You are suggesting that crossplay options will kill the game, correct?

This was a concern raised months ago. Rare addressed it. You are fake news.

I remember them addressing it. That they're interested in adding the option. That's it. Not how dividing the player base will ensure consistent server population. What are we going to have to sit in a matchmaking lobby for Adventure Mode? Will it just be constant merges going off to maintain six ships? What about Xbox users using mouse and keyboard and vice versa? They addressed all that?

Is there more then this as far crossplay talk goes with the devs? He touches on how the inputs will work. But nothing how the system will prevent population issues.

Best I could find. So with a lesser pool of players we could see more frequent server merging. Wouldn't be so bad if merging wasn't so detrimental.

@celestron90
    Yes, they have addressed how the two pools will be separated. They also addressed xbox kbm separation too.
    Yes, they have addressed population numbers for both platforms.
    'Interested in adding the option' is a little bit misleading, it was supposed to happen just before the anniversary update, but got pushed back. I remember reading that insider testing starts later this month. Dont remember who posted it though, sorry.

I assume that merges will stay the same, if you have empty slots expect ships to join. If ships in your server go to school/bed/work and you are lonely, expect to get merged.

Yeah, there's more than that dev video, but im typing on Xbox virtual keyboard, i cant add links and all that fancy stuff. Have a read thru the early pages of the current megathread, its there somewhere...maybe someone can link it for you...

@celestron90
    Yes, they have addressed how the two pools will be separated. They also addressed xbox kbm separation too.
    Yes, they have addressed population numbers for both platforms.
    'Interested in adding the option' is a little bit misleading, it was supposed to happen just before the anniversary update, but got pushed back. I remember reading that insider testing starts later this month. Dont remember who posted it though, sorry.

I assume that merges will stay the same, if you have empty slots expect ships to join. If ships in your server go to school/bed/work and you are lonely, expect to get merged.

Yeah, there's more than that dev video, but im typing on Xbox virtual keyboard, i cant add links and all that fancy stuff. Have a read thru the early pages of the current megathread, its there somewhere...maybe someone can link it for you...

I found the tweet. See my edit on my last post.

@celestron90
    Yeah one of them put out pc/xbox numbers somewhere too...

They have said in one of the dev videos that the feature will be dropping after anniversary so it is currently not here.

@officialelmo122 said in Turning off crossplay:

They have said in one of the dev videos that the feature will be dropping after anniversary so it is currently not here.

May it never be. Or at least... Not yet.

@celestron90 xbox players were against crossplay before this game. Youre also a smaller portion of the community than xbox crossplay is a failed experiment its time to go for good.

@celestron90
    Willing to bet you’re not on console. You quite literally told console players to suck it up when it comes to our disadvantage, while simultaneously having an advantage over us. I’m convinced you are willfully not seeing the problem there.